Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    Joey Armstrong... What a donut.

This guy is an advert for turning off omnivores from considering Veganism. He's so aggressive.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Neglected this thread, long story short had a bit of a break from Charlton Life due to a rough patch irl. Shout out to Afka, really embraced it by the looks of things and the positive there is I'm sure he will now carry some of these vegan meals or products to his normal diet. 

This Veganuary has been insane for simple junk food. The new Meatless subway is a bit of a godsend, I had the no egg and cress sandwich from M&S plant kitchen brand, imo it tastes identical to an egg mayo sandwich just without the mayo. KFC vegan burger with a healthy dollop of mayo is good, cafe Nero do a vegan ball panini which is well worth a try. All in all its nice to be out and have a convenient snack if needs be.

Last place I need to mention is purezza in Camden, they have a branch in Brighton as well. I've been vegan for nearly 3 years now and I really really missed cheese/pizza, purezza is absolutely incredible, would highly highly recommend. Their cheese doughballs are incredible, the cheese in general is the best I've had vegan wise, their Mac and cheese is on par with any Mac and cheese I've ever had, truly a 10/10 experience and it's a good job I don't live too close or I would struggle to avoid it 

Glad to see people indulging in veganuary, even if it's small changes like cow's milk for almond or meat spag spog for quorn spag spog that's great. 

Seriously though if you haven't tried my top shouts for this month are the egg and cress sandwich from M&S, Purezza in Camden and the meatless ball sub from subway or cafe Nero, all are incredible
  • Options
    Long old month January...
  • Options
    Finding it a trudge this week as have been busy with customers, meaning catered lunches and now at a conference where the food is excellent, for carnivores and not bad for veggies. Non existent for vegans. To be fair within my customer base, I imagine veganism is proportionally less common than elsewhere.

Yesterday I had some handfuls of crisps and about 7 fruit kebabs. Today, who knows. 

A lot of sympathy for vegans and the whole checking of ingredients thing. Bloody milk everywhere, seems so unnecessary at most points too.

Eating a lot better at home, no ready meals to speak of and am finding lots of quick but filling recipes that I'd have usually ignored. 

Special mention to the Costa cheeze and ham toastie, had it on my way in this morning, was not bad at all.
  • Options
    I am always checking ingredients but sometimes the writing is impossibly small.
  • Options
    special mention for Wagamama - fantastic vegan menu with 8 main meals + an extra one for Janaury, they also have a low alcohol Hitachino ale (sightly hoppy with ginger).
    Love the Yassai Nikko curry.
  • Options
    I have to say my only remaining craving food wise is Cheese, proper cheese, all the bloody cheese. 

Other than that, quite enjoying having to properly cook every night. Feels like less time wasted and nice to do something with/for the Mrs as she's 7 months pregnant too.

Have to admit I have been cooking meat or eggs for her and that's the bit that surprises me. I am not even tempted to eat a bit each time I do.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Time for some new glasses?
  • Options

Special mention to the Costa cheeze and ham toastie, had it on my way in this morning, was not bad at all.

Agreed!

Vegan "junk food" is so good now
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    seth plum said:
    Time for some new glasses?
    More like one of those Sherlockian magnifying glasses.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    I have to say my only remaining craving food wise is Cheese, proper cheese, all the bloody cheese. 

Other than that, quite enjoying having to properly cook every night. Feels like less time wasted and nice to do something with/for the Mrs as she's 7 months pregnant too.

Have to admit I have been cooking meat or eggs for her and that's the bit that surprises me. I am not even tempted to eat a bit each time I do.
    100%
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Allergen ingredients are underlined or in bold, these include milk and egg - so as long as you know a food is vegetarian then this makes it much easier to work out if vegan.
    (if you're not sure if vegetarian, gelatine is the key to look out for)
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I’ve been fairly open minded about all this since this thread began. I’m always keen to give new things a go and it has got me thinking a bit more about things I don’t generally give any thought to.

That's why this year I have decided to "Go Gay for May". I will give you daily updates of how this goes, but if anyone has any tips (ooeer) they would like to share - or even the whole thing - then PM me.  

That's very free spirited of you @AFKABartram. Good luck!
  • Options
    very good, although halloumi not vegan!
  • Options
    Sounds like most veggie dishes in restuarants that have parmesan cheese...
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Dazzler21 said:

I am telling you mate try purezza, I'll post some pics, they don't really do it justice tbf but trust me it's the nuts 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Okay... I will try Purezza @Braziliance

Dangerous ground now... Do they do anything Vegan at the Valley?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

...crisps?

Just realised that my new job is about a 10 minute walk away from La Fauxmagerie

I need to try it out

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Nope, I tend to bring my own food with me.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

...crisps?

Just realised that my new job is about a 10 minute walk away from La Fauxmagerie

I need to try it out

I can recommend avoiding all vegan 'cheese'!
  • Options
    Aside from Forest Green I’m struggling to think of any ground where you can get anything vegan apart from chips or crisps. Football is still in the 80s when it comes to culinary delights for the plant based muncher.
  • Options
    Salad said:
    Dazzler21 said:

...crisps?

I need to try it out

I can recommend avoiding all vegan 'cheese'!

Like I said in a previous post, most vegan cheese is garbage, but some are acceptable...

I never have an opinion on one until I try it though. Applewood Smoked Cheese is good, for instance
  • Options
    I've never understood why people who don't want to eat meat for ethical or animal welfare reasons then want to eat something that looks and/or tastes like meat. Just eat something else, rather than these "meat substitutes".

Also, I know that things have advanced massively over the years, but the "Pepperoni" on that pizza above looks like a bit of cardboard. Good luck to whoever's eating that, and that's before you worry about what's actually in it!

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

ta, if it's not nice I owe you one
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I've got to be honest, given the standard of liquid refreshment at Charlton you are pissing in the wind for something vegan. Easiest thing to do is not eat at football, never truly understood why people do as it is a strange time of the day to eat and everything tastes like shit, smells like shit, has the texture of shit and being absolutely honest, probably is actual shit.

Had the excellent Wagamama Yassai Nikko curry yesterday and I recommend it 
    the vegatsu is incredible from there. seitan in crispy panko breadcrumbs. aromatic katsu curry sauce. sticky white rice. side salad. pickled red onion < as described on site.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I've got to be honest, given the standard of liquid refreshment at Charlton you are pissing in the wind for something vegan. Easiest thing to do is not eat at football, never truly understood why people do as it is a strange time of the day to eat and everything tastes like shit, smells like shit, has the texture of shit and being absolutely honest, probably is actual shit.

Had the excellent Wagamama Yassai Nikko curry yesterday and I recommend it 
    the vegatsu is incredible from there. seitan in crispy panko breadcrumbs. aromatic katsu curry sauce. sticky white rice. side salad. pickled red onion < as described on site.
    That was very nearly my choice. Wagamama is always good food