Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD calling for Charlton Athletic fans to boycott Valley if takeover deal is not done by August 4

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2018

boggzy said:

A lot of noise and semantics on this thread from groups who have done absolutely nothing during the past 12 months to try and rid Charlton of Duchâtelet. Unlike the likes of ROT/B20.

Actions speak louder than words.

They certainly do. That's why I have joined ROT as soon as it became a formal group, contributed financially, and am working on some practical support which if it becomes available could turbocharge the ROT election campaign.

But I thought you already knew that...

Absolutely, and not aimed at you personally, for that very reason.

• Options
    For CARD to call for fans to boycott is totally wrong as it won't happen as to boycott is a personal decision, some of us will and some will not. Also in the final paragraph of the article on page 1 of this thread there is an ambiguity as to whether fans should support the team, surely the message should be "support the team not the regime".

I generally support CARD and have boycotted for the past 2 years but think they could have worded their statement a little better.

Finally I'm please to see that AB and Prague have buried the hatchet, but not in each other, as we need such luminaries of CL to be working together to get rid of the current regime.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I think it is as simple as that. We all have different ideas and thoughts of actions or non actions which we think would have the best effect. But sometimes unity is required and CARD have been instrumental in some very imaginative and successful protests to date. Support them or don't support them, but just accept they are entitled to provide suggestions to supporters on things like this.
  • Options
    AB - you misinterpret my argument , which is probably my fault for being inarticulate. I am not "arguing otherwise" but simply suggesting that the CARD statement could have been better worded, perhaps I am the articulate one and CARD isn't?
  • Options
    Maybe it could have, but it has been made. The point is, why have an argument?
  • Options
    Mametz said:

I must admit that I have always been a little puzzled by the “ support the team not the regime “ tagline. If you are giving your admission money to the club to do what it wants with that money how are you not, in some way, supporting the regime?

You can do it by going to away games, attending £5 home games, somehow obtaining a free ticket and paying to attend when a major demo is planned - that’s how!
  • Options
    We're football fans, not members of a trade union. Until Roland appoints a new CEO and Finance officer I will assume that the alleged takeover will materialise at some point
  • Options

Mametz said:

I must admit that I have always been a little puzzled by the “ support the team not the regime “ tagline. If you are giving your admission money to the club to do what it wants with that money how are you not, in some way, supporting the regime?

You can do it by going to away games, attending £5 home games, somehow obtaining a free ticket and paying to attend when a major demo is planned - that’s how!
    Yeah I can see that ( although those five pounds mount up ) but what about the others, almost certainly the majority who spurt that mantra, who have STs or pay full admission price.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    You can understand how the leaders of the French and Russian Revolutions ended up killing each other!
  • Options
    Who was it that said something along the lies of 'each revolution ends up devouring it's own children'? (Probably French or Russian)
  • Options
    Mametz said:

Mametz said:

Yeah I can see that ( although those five pounds mount up ) but what about the others, almost certainly the majority who spurt that mantra, who have STs or pay full admission price.
    I don't know; what about them?
    You tell me.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Mametz said:

You tell me.
    I don’t know.

That is why I’m asking the question.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Who was it that said something along the lies of 'each revolution ends up devouring it's own children'? (Probably French or Russian)

"La révolution dévore ses enfants"

Should give you an idea :wink:
  • Options
    Addickted said:

addick05 said:

Was it a Belgian?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Mametz said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Mametz said:

You tell me.
    I don’t know.

Don't be coy, you said, 'If you are giving your admission money to the club to do what it what it wants with that money how are you not, in some way, supporting the regime?'
  • Options
    HarryLime said:

Addickted said:

addick05 said:

Was it a Belgian?
    The Belgians are too laid back to revolt.

It's not allowed under EU Regulations.
  • Options
    Personally I think Lee bowyer and the team should have as much support as possible.
    What happens behind the scenes is out of their hands.
  • Options

Personally I think Lee bowyer and the team should have as much support as possible.
    What happens behind the scenes is out of their hands.

I was saying that when we appointed Karel Fraeye.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

HarryLime said:

Addickted said:

addick05 said:

Was it a Belgian?
    The Belgians are too laid back to revolt.

It's not allowed under EU Regulations.
    I know one Belgian who is revolting
  • Options
    Mametz said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Mametz said:

You tell me.
    I don’t know.

Don't be coy, you said, 'If you are giving your admission money to the club to do what it what it wants with that money how are you not, in some way, supporting the regime?'
    I did say that. It is a question. The question mark at the end is a dead giveaway!
    You then went on to say in your next post ' ...what about the others, almost certainly the majority who spurt that mantra, who have STs or pay full admission price' -no question mark -
    which would suggest you think they are in some way complicit in the way that RD continues to run the club.
    I am one of those who has paid full admission to support the team, so I imagine you think of me as one of those who 'spurt the mantra', ergo, I am an 'apologist' or whatever pejorative you choose to use.
    If you want to wallow in your self- identifying martyrdom as a boycotter, go ahead, I don't care, but spare me and others who attend home games your sneery self-righteousness.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Mametz said:

You tell me.
    I don’t know.

I did say that. It is a question. The question mark at the end is a dead giveaway!
    You then went on to say in your next post ' ...what about the others, almost certainly the majority who spurt that mantra, who have STs or pay full admission price' -no question mark -
    which would suggest you think they are in some way complicit in the way that RD continues to run the club.
    I am one of those who has paid full admission to support the team, so I imagine you think of me as one of those who 'spurt the mantra', ergo, I am an 'apologist' or whatever pejorative you choose to use.
    If you want to wallow in your self- identifying martyrdom as a boycotter, go ahead, I don't care, but spare me and others who attend home games your sneery self-righteousness.
    And that is where your entire argument falls down.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Mametz said:

You tell me.
    I don’t know.

So going back to the original question about supporting the team, not the regime, do you believe that by paying full admission to attend matches you have not supported the regime?
  • Options
    Stig said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Mametz said:

You tell me.
    I don’t know.

And that is where your entire argument falls down.
    No, it doesn't. His meaning is writ large.
  • Options

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Mametz said:

You tell me.
    I don’t know.

So going back to the original question about supporting the team, not the regime, do you believe that by paying full admission to attend matches you have not supported the regime?
    What, exactly, do you consider the 'regime' to be?
  • Options

Ffs Roland is the enemy stop arguing with one another

We'll miss Roland when he goes.
  • Options
    Redskin said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Redskin said:

Mametz said:

Mametz said:

You tell me.
    I don’t know.

What, exactly, do you consider the 'regime' to be?
    The owner and his senior management team (when he had one), not the footballing staff/management.