Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Norwich - friendly 28/7/18

Comments

• Options
    A decent result, but then our 1st choice defence and centre midfield ARE of promotion quality. I doubt many teams in our league will have a better back 4 than that.

What we lack is attacking quality and cover for our defence

Poor result for Norwich though, and from what I read a poor performance too.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Phillips will only get better the more he plays. He has potential and ffs we're in L1 not the Premiership - makes me laugh how much criticism some of our fans are dishing out. If Phillips was the finished article he wouldn't be at Charlton.

The most important bit is the saves, the passing out bit will come with experience and confidence. Until then he should clear it a very long way away.
    Or we develop him with coaching perhaps.
  • Options
    Great to see the players going bonkers when that went in.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Phillips will only get better the more he plays. He has potential and ffs we're in L1 not the Premiership - makes me laugh how much criticism some of our fans are dishing out. If Phillips was the finished article he wouldn't be at Charlton.

The most important bit is the saves, the passing out bit will come with experience and confidence. Until then he should clear it a very long way away.
    His games at Cheltenham should have resolved the kicking issues. Better sides than today's Norwich would have punished several of his kicks. One of the worst was to JFC facing goal just outside the penalty area. Norwich player a few yards away. All he could was pass it back with the Norwich player following the ball.
  • Options

Guy a few rows back from me , had quite a loud AUSSIE accent, just saying...

Was he with a group of four or five young lads, early 20s? @Mendonca In Asdas
    Not sure Henry, I was too nervous to turn round, he did speak with authority,like he was someone quite important and was very loud
  • Options

Not sure Henry, I was too nervous to turn round, he did speak with authority,like he was someone quite important and was very loud
    ‘tis the Australian way!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    se9addick said:

‘tis the Australian way!
    GM isn't very loud though.
  • Options

I'd rather develop our own young keeper than one contracted to another club.

Remember lots on here thought Pope was terrible too!
  • Options
    Phillips is a decent keeper. In fact he should have started ahead of Amos when he came in, he didn’t and Amos turned out to be quality. Fully confident in him being our number 1 this season. Just need a more experienced back up in case he gets injured.
  • Options
    Sage said:

People talking about Phillips does my head in. If you want a keeper who makes great saves and has the attributes that make up a good keeper, he is your man.

No, he isn’t great with his feet, his distribution could be better. But are we Man City or Barcelona? No. Do we need a keeper who is like Neuer and can play out field? No. We are in League One for Christ sakes, we need a keeper who is going to keep the ball out the net against opposition teams. Phillips can do that.

And yes I was at The Valley today and if you tell me he isn’t a good keeper then you’re either foolish or you ignore the great saves he made and focusing on the parts of his game that he can work on.

Absolutely his kicking is something that can be worked on. What concerns me is that it has been a real standout issue in each of the last two pre-seasons leading up to this one. And while it's always hard to replicate match situations, I do think kicking and technique are the kinds of things that can be worked on even when you're not in the first team.

I fear this will be compounded by losing Josh, and thus losing our outlet. As a result teams will press us, knowing that Phillips and Pearce are not confident on the ball and that we don't have a big man (assuming we lose Josh) to aim for up field (Taylor looks like he can kind of sort of do it but it's not his strongest role). In the run in, Josh's ability to win headers was important. No, they weren't always to another player, and Ajose wasn't great at reading them, but it did at least stop the ball from coming back at us. It's not Dillon's fault that we don't have that, but I fear it will compound issues.

None of that is to say Dillon is terrible. He looks a very good shot stopper for this level.

• Options
    His kicking will be worked on but decision making under pressure could be his downfall.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

RedChaser said:

Nicholas said:

shirty5 said:

Nicholas said:

That's the strong team Bowyer said he was going to play against Norwich. He is vastly becoming as deluded as all the previous Roland arse licker managers.

It would never surprise me if he walked before next Saturday
    He wont walk his in a no lose situation, do well with a crap team and other clubs might hire him as manager. Do shit he can blame it on the crap set up.
    I understand your frustration with this shitfest of a situation mate but Bowyer's not the enemy.
    Of course his not the enemy, but when you hear the same shit that came out of all the other managers mouth it does make you wonder.
    Nicholas dear chap, it’s he’s not his.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    The way I see it is how many years has Phillips been playing now he's 23 years old he trains nearly everyday if your kicking isn't good now will it ever be. He's been behind 2 loan players for the last 2 years and has played what 7-8 games for us and all of a sudden he's our number 1. What the boy needs is a loan to a decent league 2 team .What ever we need a new goalkeeper to push Phillips or replace him . We see last year what it means to have a top goalkeeper how many points Amos got us on his own .
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:

The way I see it is how many years has Phillips been playing now he's 23 years old he trains nearly everyday if your kicking isn't good now will it ever be. He's been behind 2 loan players for the last 2 years and has played what 7-8 games for us and all of a sudden he's our number 1. What the boy needs is a loan to a decent league 2 team .What ever we need a new goalkeeper to push Phillips or replace him . We see last year what it means to have a top goalkeeper how many points Amos got us on his own was undeliverable .

It's irrelevant what we need as it's obvious money isn't going to be spent. I'd try and stop worrying so much...

There will be no strategy under RD's ownership.
  • Options

His kicking will be worked on but decision making under pressure could be his downfall.

Again, it can be coached.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    FAVADDICK said:

The way I see it is how many years has Phillips been playing now he's 23 years old he trains nearly everyday if your kicking isn't good now will it ever be. He's been behind 2 loan players for the last 2 years and has played what 7-8 games for us and all of a sudden he's our number 1. What the boy needs is a loan to a decent league 2 team .What ever we need a new goalkeeper to push Phillips or replace him . We see last year what it means to have a top goalkeeper how many points Amos got us on his own .

He really needed that loan last year unfortunately. Arguably the year before as well. That's been our biggest failure as a club to him. Because we couldn't get cover in he's had to sit on the bench for two years.
  • Options
    Yes it can. If he can do it sometimes (which he can) but is not consistent, then practice will improve it.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    What a keeper!

But Lapslie, who had a good game apparently, missed a sitter of header, after a great left footed cross from Marshall.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Nicholas said:
    What a keeper!

But Lapslie, who had a good game apparently, missed a sitter of header, after a great left footed cross from Marshall.
    If Hackett-Fairchild has been there it would have been a great cross by Marshall, but he wasn’t, Lapslie was there and so the cross was good but not ‘great’, it was too high...just saying
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Nicholas said:
    What a keeper!

If Hackett-Fairchild has been there it would have been a great cross by Marshall, but he wasn’t, Lapslie was there and so the cross was good but not ‘great’, it was too high...just saying
    You could see from Leslie's reaction that it was a sitter. He didn't exactly leap like a salmon ;-)
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

FAVADDICK said:

He really needed that loan last year unfortunately. Arguably the year before as well. That's been our biggest failure as a club to him. Because we couldn't get cover in he's had to sit on the bench for two years.
    Interestingly last January, KAG was sent out on loan, something which was controversial here when he started scoring regularly, but definitely did his confidence a lot of good. A shame the same couldn't have happened for Dillon, though it's harder for keepers I guess as you need to find a club looking for a No 1, rather than him ending up sitting on someone else's bench