Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Norwich - friendly 28/7/18

Comments

• Options

SDAddick said:

FAVADDICK said:

The way I see it is how many years has Phillips been playing now he's 23 years old he trains nearly everyday if your kicking isn't good now will it ever be. He's been behind 2 loan players for the last 2 years and has played what 7-8 games for us and all of a sudden he's our number 1. What the boy needs is a loan to a decent league 2 team .What ever we need a new goalkeeper to push Phillips or replace him . We see last year what it means to have a top goalkeeper how many points Amos got us on his own .

He really needed that loan last year unfortunately. Arguably the year before as well. That's been our biggest failure as a club to him. Because we couldn't get cover in he's had to sit on the bench for two years.
    Interestingly last January, KAG was sent out on loan, something which was controversial here when he started scoring regularly, but definitely did his confidence a lot of good. A shame the same couldn't have happened for Dillon, though it's harder for keepers I guess as you need to find a club looking for a No 1, rather than him ending up sitting on someone else's bench
    Phillips kicking yesterday was embarrassing but it sort of reminds me of Nick Pope and what was basically a problem defending free kicks when you basically had to accept that they would end up in the back of our net but otherwise he could be relied upon to save a one on one. He seems to have developed a bit since then. So will Phillips .
  • Options
    ross1 said:

I think FAVADDICK and paulie8290 will have to agree not to agree and call it a truce

What? With Makros car park almost empty? What a waste.
  • Options
    FAVADDICK said:

The way I see it is how many years has Phillips been playing now he's 23 years old he trains nearly everyday if your kicking isn't good now will it ever be. He's been behind 2 loan players for the last 2 years and has played what 7-8 games for us and all of a sudden he's our number 1. What the boy needs is a loan to a decent league 2 team .What ever we need a new goalkeeper to push Phillips or replace him . We see last year what it means to have a top goalkeeper how many points Amos got us on his own .

There are many players around the world who have come through the Academy/youth system, into the first team, represented their countries for many years, won many trophies and personal awards ... and are still incapable of kicking with their "wrong" foot.

Just saying ...
  • Options

Phillips was an excellent keeper for Cheltenham in the National League - there is not a massive gap to L1. Randolph and Elliott had the same path.

Some of our 'fans' are obsessed with his shortcomings and I look forward to this being pointed out during the season. Obviously all other keepers are perfect.

I hope he can be heckled by our supporters if he makes a mistake as this usually does wonders for confidence.

I think you’ll find that it more likely a case of some of our ‘fans’ are obsessed with wanting Roland to fail and see the team failing and creating discontent about the players as the way to achieve that.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

SDAddick said:

FAVADDICK said:

He really needed that loan last year unfortunately. Arguably the year before as well. That's been our biggest failure as a club to him. Because we couldn't get cover in he's had to sit on the bench for two years.
    Interestingly last January, KAG was sent out on loan, something which was controversial here when he started scoring regularly, but definitely did his confidence a lot of good. A shame the same couldn't have happened for Dillon, though it's harder for keepers I guess as you need to find a club looking for a No 1, rather than him ending up sitting on someone else's bench
    Phillips kicking yesterday was embarrassing but it sort of reminds me of Nick Pope and what was basically a problem defending free kicks when you basically had to accept that they would end up in the back of our net but otherwise he could be relied upon to save a one on one. He seems to have developed a bit since then. So will Phillips .
    Even now I don't think Pope is that much of a modern kicking keeper, but then Burnley don't play that type of game/system anyway so for them it doesn't matter that he isn't a Neuer type
  • Options

SDAddick said:

FAVADDICK said:

Agreed. And I was always a firm believer that that loan move was the right step for KAG. He could have stayed with us and kept coming in as a sub with 20 minutes to go but you could tell he had stagnated (and arguably had for quite some time). In the end it was a great move for him and I genuinely think he's ready to be a League One forward now.

And to be fair to Robinson and the staff they clearly wanted to get another keeper in so that Phillips could go out on loan and they just couldn't. With David Martin it was either an issue with wages, an issue with him wanting to be the number one, or both, I think both stories were floated. But yeah, the loser in that situation was Dillon, unfortunately.
  • Options
    Beggers can't be choosers springs to mind in our situation. From what I have seen and heard he's a decent no.1, I'm sure with a run of games he will get better
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

His kicking will be worked on but decision making under pressure could be his downfall.

Again, it can be coached.
    To a degree. Kids who play in goal are generally the ones that can’t play football. The playing it out from the back is relatively a new thing and if one hasn’t got natural football ability and brain, it can lead to quick ill advised passes or ponderous decisions. A man has to know his limitations (as Clint Eastwood once said), keep it simple and clear down the channels, and keep working hard in training. Experience and confidence will help him make better decisions.
    True in the past but not now. Keepers are expected to be decent footballers today.
  • Options

Phillips was an excellent keeper for Cheltenham in the National League - there is not a massive gap to L1. Randolph and Elliott had the same path.

Some of our 'fans' are obsessed with his shortcomings and I look forward to this being pointed out during the season. Obviously all other keepers are perfect.

I hope he can be heckled by our supporters if he makes a mistake as this usually does wonders for confidence.

I think you’ll find that it more likely a case of some of our ‘fans’ are obsessed with wanting Roland to fail and see the team failing and creating discontent about the players as the way to achieve that.
    Please boycott The Valley, and continue to boycott even if we have new owners. Ta ta
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Phillips isn't THAT bad on the ball either. He likes to do his own Crossbar Challenge at half-time and usually gets close ;)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

JamesSeed said:

Nicholas said:
    What a keeper!

But Lapslie, who had a good game apparently, missed a sitter of header, after a great left footed cross from Marshall.
    If Hackett-Fairchild has been there it would have been a great cross by Marshall, but he wasn’t, Lapslie was there and so the cross was good but not ‘great’, it was too high...just saying
    You could see from Leslie's reaction that it was a sitter. He didn't exactly leap like a salmon ;-)
    At least he was in the right plaice.

• Options
    His kicking is better than Rob Elliot’s was.
  • Options

His kicking will be worked on but decision making under pressure could be his downfall.

Again, it can be coached.
    He's had plenty of good coaching from Lee Turner and Andy Marshall was working on this during the warm ups. He tried some fancy footwork despite being told to hoof the ball up the pitch. It seems he thinks he knows best. (I was sat by the dug out so I know what he being told during the match.)
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Phillips isn't THAT bad on the ball either. He likes to do his own Crossbar Challenge at half-time and usually gets close ;)

I suppose if he cuts up through the lower north, then nabs a barman, he might get a pint before the restart.
  • Options

My total boycott for this season is starting to hurt a bit before the season has started - but I am going to hold firm.

It's like losing a close friend / relative. It hurts but it gets easier with time & eventually you start thinking about the good times that you've shared. Just going into my third season of boycotting, can't say I'm that bothered anymore. Having said that as soon as we get taken over & new owners show some ambition I'll be back. Unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon. :-(
  • Options

A decent result, but then our 1st choice defence and centre midfield ARE of promotion quality. I doubt many teams in our league will have a better back 4 than that.

What we lack is attacking quality and cover for our defence

Poor result for Norwich though, and from what I read a poor performance too.

Or did we stop the from playing? Bow said the kids learning when and how to press.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Nicholas said:
    What a keeper!

But Lapslie, who had a good game apparently, missed a sitter of header, after a great left footed cross from Marshall.
    If Hackett-Fairchild has been there it would have been a great cross by Marshall, but he wasn’t, Lapslie was there and so the cross was good but not ‘great’, it was too high...just saying
    Saw Recco shut his eyes to miss a great headed opportunity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not had time to plough through the thread so apologies if covered /asked already.

Was it a 'proper' Norwich side or a youth team?
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Please boycott The Valley, and continue to boycott even if we have new owners. Ta ta
    How are we going to get the Duchatalet apologists back if we get taken over?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Not had time to plough through the thread so apologies if covered /asked already.

Proper apparently.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

It was a proper Narwich team ...
  • Options
    RedChaser said:
    The 1st 2 paragraphs of that, show that we were once a respected team.

As away grounds go, Charlton has to be one of my personal favourites (even if the away end is rather basic). The continuous “bowl” wrapping around three sides makes it a proper ground – the product of Premier League dosh and seven consecutive top-flight seasons in the early 2000s.

Better times and, undoubtedly, better owners – when Charlton were held out by many, as “the model” medium-sized club to follow. Ironic then that City did just that – relegated to League One together in 2009!
  • Options

LenGlover said:

Proper apparently.
    But missing the injured Jordan Rhodes apparently
  • Options
    uie2 said:

LenGlover said:

Proper apparently.
    And we were missing the injured Lyle Taylor...
  • Options

uie2 said:

LenGlover said:

Proper apparently.
    And we were missing the injured Lyle Taylor...
    Fosu, Reeves, Clarke, Igor...

If I was a Norwich fan, I'd be slightly concerned. Only relegated from the PL 2 years ago and looking more likely to be struggling in the bottom half than competing for promotion.