Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Hi @MattTeesHeader, social. Visitor with county card. Really looking forward to playing there so keep replacing your divots please :-) 
    Big fan of Cooden. Played it several times before I emigrated to the Isle of Wight. Had an annual Dartford &Dale Hill v Cooden match going on (long story - it was the fruit of several drunken holidays in the Algarve). Great course. On the seaside but you would barely know it. Always in good nick and a decent test. 
  • Options
    :
    Hi @MattTeesHeader, social. Visitor with county card. Really looking forward to playing there so keep replacing your divots please :-) 
    Let me know when you're down and I'll happily buy you a pint. 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Played today at Lingfield, do so every year as it's a charity event.

Now since I played this time last year I have played one round in September so wasn't holding out much hope.

Ended an embarrassing day when I managed a gross 7 over par and 46 points. Think I've only ever shot once under 80 and that was 20 years ago. Just everything went perfect, holed a couple of long puts and even missed 2 sitters on the back 9.

Think it's time to hang up my clubs as won't get any better than that.

• Options
    first round tomorrow for quite some time, my company charity golf day at Bletchingly Golf Club in Redhill

never played it and not holding out much hope for anything decent (from me that is!)
  • Options
    Played Woldingham at the weekend. Looked great in the sun and was in good condition. I’m a terrible golfer and only play 4-5 times a year with no practice, so off 28. Anyway the first 6 holes I scored 1 solitary point. Couldn’t even get the ball off the ground. Was about to give up but something then clicked and I scored 26 points off the remaining 12. Not a good points score overall but (until the next round at least) gives me some hope and it’s got me desperate to get out again, bloody game! 
  • Options
    Playing Abridge tomorrow looks fairly narrow. Anybody played there before share there experience?
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Played today at Lingfield, do so every year as it's a charity event.

Now since I played this time last year I have played one round in September so wasn't holding out much hope.

Ended an embarrassing day when I managed a gross 7 over par and 46 points. Think I've only ever shot once under 80 and that was 20 years ago. Just everything went perfect, holed a couple of long puts and even missed 2 sitters on the back 9.

Think it's time to hang up my clubs as won't get any better than that.

I did feel like that to be fair. 
  • Options
    Playing Abridge tomorrow looks fairly narrow. Anybody played there before share there experience?
    Yep, played there a few times. Wouldn’t call it narrow and largely a what you see is what you get course. It’s better than average but not as good as some rate it.

like I say, play what you see. The only issue you might find with courses being so dry at the moment - there are a number of well protected raised greens that you have to pitch to so, if you’re playing a long approach, you may find it difficult to hold. You may end up feeling the wiser decision on a handful of holes will be to lay up short of the green thus avoiding the risk of a big number.
  • Options
    Playing Abridge tomorrow looks fairly narrow. Anybody played there before share their experience?
    Yes a good few years ago. Remember it being well kept though can’t recall any of the holes 
  • Options
    first round tomorrow for quite some time, my company charity golf day at Bletchingly Golf Club in Redhill

never played it and not holding out much hope for anything decent (from me that is!)
    Not a course I enjoy, don’t get me wrong it plays well and I’m this weather the ball will run forever.

I’m playing Chobham tomorrow and on Saturday playing Dyrnham Park 

happy golfing guys
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Has there ever been a Charlton Life Golf day?
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Certainly has….it’s how I got my CL name 🙄
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Playing Abridge tomorrow looks fairly narrow. Anybody played there before share their experience?
    Yes a good few years ago. Remember it being well kept though can’t recall any of the holes 
    I recall playing there on a society, didn’t serve any sausages or bacon for brecko! 
  • Options
    My mates are members at Royal Blackheath and it’s a nice course and has the name attached to it, but the fees they pay are insane. Anyway, we play 2v2 Texas scramble and my pair went the back nine -1. Following week same 4 played scramble at Sand Martins in Berkshire, where a mate pays half the price than RB and the course is mustard. Parkland front 9 and almost a links back 9, very unique. We didn’t score half as well.
  • Options
    My mates are members at Royal Blackheath and it’s a nice course and has the name attached to it, but the fees they pay are insane. Anyway, we play 2v2 Texas scramble and my pair went the back nine -1. Following week same 4 played scramble at Sand Martins in Berkshire, where a mate pays half the price than RB and the course is mustard. Parkland front 9 and almost a links back 9, very unique. We didn’t score half as well.
    One of the most overrated courses, played there a few times although that was 20 years ago, think visitor green fees are well over £100 a round now so god knows what membership is.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    think I've still got the polo shirt somewhere from it
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    think I've still got the polo shirt somewhere from it

Long overdue another one I would think. You can certainly count me in.
  • Options
    Would certainly be good to have a CL golf day. @AFKABartram are you happy if I try to look into arranging something or at least finding out interest, costs etc? We could do it as a bit of a charity day, maybe for the Upbeats but also still trying to keep costs reasonable for everyone.

Obviously people are scattered around a bit but guess ideally we'd need to be fairly local to SE7. Maybe somewhere like Shooters Hill?

What do people think? Rather than tie up this thread maybe people could message me to express interest (appreciate it'll be date, place, costs dependent) but an idea of interest would be helpful. September could be doable and enough time to arrange.
  • Options
    last time we played it at Birchwood, good location for those coming via motorway etc

pretty sure we did bacon rolls, 18 holes and the ham/egg/chips after and the cost wasn't too bad
  • Options
    Would absolutely love it mate. We organised 2 previously, the 1st at Birchwood in 2008 was well supported (16) with no dropouts and a really good day. The 2nd in 2010 at Kent & Surrey at Edenbridge I had 13 dropouts within the last couple of days so just 6 Lifers left and had to scramble to fill places through others, so was a bit of a ball ache and I didn’t bother organising again. 

So would be well up for it if dates worked but I’d suggest some form of advance commitment!

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Would absolutely love it mate. We organised 2 previously, the 1st at Birchwood in 2008 was well supported (16) with no dropouts and a really good day. The 2nd in 2010 at Kent & Surrey at Edenbridge I had 13 dropouts within the last couple of days so just 6 Lifers left and had to scramble to fill places through others, so was a bit of a ball ache and I didn’t bother organising again. 

So would be well up for it if dates worked but I’d suggest some form of advance commitment!

OK,

On that basis could people send me a private message with an 'in principle I'd like to play', it would be midweek, likely September. Clubs usually want a minimum of 16, but let's see how we go.

Yes take the point about advanced commitment, I've arranged a few charity days before so used to rounding up pre payment etc!

last time we played it at Birchwood, good location for those coming via motorway etc

pretty sure we did bacon rolls, 18 holes and the ham/egg/chips after and the cost wasn't too bad
    That's the sort of thing I was thinking, Shooters hill just as an example as they quote on their website costs it's about £60 for bacon roll, 18 and a one course meal. Birchwood is a good shout, likely a little cheaper as well, £38 for bacon roll and 18, can add on lunch.
  • Options
    I'm in - I'll PM you Rob.

It might be worth also asking where people would be traveling from. If most are south London then local'ish makes sense (I'm not suggesting my club in Cheshire as the venue!) - but there are a lot of us exiles and if a fair few are coming from up t'north then just north of London might be more attractive. I would be there anyway and would stay over the night before and after - just a thought.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    I'm in - I'll PM you Rob.

It might be worth also asking where people would be traveling from. If most are south London then local'ish makes sense (I'm not suggesting my club in Cheshire as the venue!) - but there are a lot of us exiles and if a fair few are coming from up t'north then just north of London might be more attractive. I would be there anyway and would stay over the night before and after - just a thought.
    Good idea, when messaging can people let me know a rough home area (first part of postcode would be handy)
  • Options
    Good idea Rob I have messaged you ..May also have another charlton supporting non lifer 
  • Options
    getting ready for weekend in Ireland Friday - Sunday playing Druids Glenn - cannot wait!!! 
  • Options
    When Tom Watson used to come over for the Open he always played Royal Dornoch. He said it used to set him up for links golf. Seemed to work. ⛳️🏌️‍♂️
  • Options
    Played in the last 16 of our club singles knock out yesterday. 4 down after the 13th - won the last 5 holes - 2 birdies downwind and 2 pars and a bogey into a 25 mph wind. My opponent was not best pleased with himself.
  • Options
    Played at Sundridge park last week,really lovely course,my mate does the accounts there and got a great deal for our society,otherwise it is £110.00 a round for visitors.Think membership is circa 5k but not sure.
  • Options
    I played Sundridge East course on Thursday. Absolutely stunning! As members at North Foreland we have a reciprocal with them and so didn’t cost a penny 👍🏻

btw @Rob7Lee I’d be interested in a CL golf day. I’d be travelling from Broadstairs