Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Anyone played Weald of Kent down at Headcorn in recent times? Off down there in a few weeks for the first time
    Played a few times back in the day. Always found it a bit dull. A few holes with annoying  small drainage ditches across fairways at driving distance. 
  • Options
    Played in a pairs open at Yelverton (near Plymouth) on Saturday - fantastic course on Dartmoor. If you're in the Devon region give it a whirl.

• Options
    Very disappointed front 9 was shocking course was in fantastic condition as always, struggled with my 2nd shots today alignment off so seemed to be leaving awkward 3rd chip to green
  • Options
    had my 1st lesson tonight at pedham with adam clough he adjusted my grip and posture and was hitting my 7 iron 173 yards - chuffed. 

playing at the wiltshere on saturday with a night at celtic manor and then playing the montgomerie at celtic on the sunday have dinner booked at the rib for 9pm perfect timing as hoping to head cellar bar for the 5.30 game few beers and a game of pool then bed for our round the next day. 
  • Options
    Sounds cracking @PalaceHater

• Options
    Sounds cracking @PalaceHater

its palarse ;) 

but yes very much looking forward to it. 
  • Options
    Have a similar weekend lined up (Cider Cup). Have drawn @RedArmySE7 in my singles which should be a whole heap of fun . 

Will update post weekend 
  • Options
    had my 1st lesson tonight at pedham with adam clough he adjusted my grip and posture and was hitting my 7 iron 173 yards - chuffed. 

playing at the wiltshere on saturday with a night at celtic manor and then playing the montgomerie at celtic on the sunday have dinner booked at the rib for 9pm perfect timing as hoping to head cellar bar for the 5.30 game few beers and a game of pool then bed for our round the next day. 
    You do know the Ryder Cup is on this weekend 😄.

Cracking courses at Celtic Manor. Played there twice & didnt play that well on either occasion. 
  • Options
    Celtic Manor is superb, played all 3 courses and you won't be disappointed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good luck mate 
  • Options
    Off for my 1st ever round this morning at ruxley. Just a little 9 hole but you've got to start somewhere. Looking forward to it.
    I learnt on the par 3 course at Ruxley. Group lessons on a Sat morning ending with a round on the 9 holes. Taught me how to chip & putt and honed my short game. 
  • Options
    Isn't the Ruxley course what was the old Cray Valley 9 hole?

I'm out with my daughter tomorrow at the 9 hole in Pedham, which is a nice little course. We haven't had the opportunity to play for a few months so am really looking forward to it.
  • Options

I'm out with my daughter tomorrow at the 9 hole in Pedham, which is a nice little course. We haven't had the opportunity to play for a few months so am really looking forward to it.
    No idea.

Both courses used to have an 18 & a 9. Ruxley's was a short par 3 & Cray's had a couple of par 4's iirc.
  • Options
    Played les pins today well protected greens front 9 tight opened a little on the back nine 
  • Options

Lovely day for a round, enjoyed it but Jesus I was awful. Parred the 1st but didn’t get near another one all round. Scraped a couple of 4’s but that was as good as it got.
  • Options
    good little golf weekend away but very rushed. 

The Wiltshire course was £35 and worth every penny imo, the hotel is being used to house migrants so we were a bit skeptical of what the golf facilities would be like, its a course that with a little tlc could easily be top tier. 

then from there onto Celtic manor the cellar bar watching the spurs game was ok but v busy, we went for dinner at the couldra court which annoyingly isnt covered by shuttle transfers, so had to arrange our own taxis which took an age, meal was okay but service shocking. 

played the montgomerie on the Sunday 8.30am tee off we had buggies but as you have to stay on the path pain in the backside. 

personally I found the whole place expensive and overated. 

next 2 breaks we are looking at are dale hill with a sunday overnight, then possibly the belfry in the summer. 
  • Options
    First of all, thanks to those who recommended David Young as a coach. My son had one lesson with him last year at the Sidcup Golf Centre but he didn't get a chance to play or have any more lessons before he went to Australia for six months to play cricket where he got to play two or three rounds of golf. He has started taking golf more seriously in the last three months (currently on the range or playing most days mostly at Barnehurst GC) and has had three more lessons in the last month and says David has been a great help. David is now based at the Corinthian GC - it's further to travel but the benefit is that the lessons are on turf which helps in terms of ball striking is more realistic than off the mat and also in relation to identifying how well he is hitting the ball by looking at the nature and direction of the divot. 

My son has one issue and the answer might be obvious but it's the aspect of handicapping for which we would appreciate some help from the golfers on here. Last week he became a member at Barnehurst who have said that they will allocate him a handicap once he's handed in cards to the value of 54 holes.  He usually shoots between 74 and 78 there (par 68 and a short course) but would be in the mid to high 80s when playing longer and more testing courses. Even taking into account "slope", in theory, were he assessed on his Barnehurst scores would he not be, from a handicapping position, in a less fortunate position against someone who had been assessed based on three cards at say Lullingstone for example? i.e. I'm not sure that "slope" would make up a potential differential of anything up to 10 shots between the two course.

Thanks in advance and apologies if we're missing something rather obvious here! 

• Options
    @Addick Addict   WHS is the same for everybody but it is fair to say that until he has a) put in 8 cards and then b) put in 20 cards, his WHS will probably be lower than he should be - because it does a specific weighting adjustment to stop bandits putting three cards in when they first start and deliberately playing badly.    So, you'll get some weird handicap figures for him until 20 rounds are in and then it'll become easy to work out that the best of 8 of his last 20 rounds, adjusted by WHS at source will be his scoring ones with them dropping out historically as he plays new rounds.

Sounds like he's doing well though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    supaclive said:
    @Addick Addict   WHS is the same for everybody but it is fair to say that until he has a) put in 8 cards and then b) put in 20 cards, his WHS will probably be lower than he should be - because it does a specific weighting adjustment to stop bandits putting three cards in when they first start and deliberately playing badly.    So, you'll get some weird handicap figures for him until 20 rounds are in and then it'll become easy to work out that the best of 8 of his last 20 rounds, adjusted by WHS at source will be his scoring ones with them dropping out historically as he plays new rounds.

Sounds like he's doing well though.
    Thanks @supaclive that really does help. His job is coaching cricket and a few other sports at times (played county level cricket and in county competitions at tennis and table tennis as a junior) but the beauty of his situation is that he works afternoons/evenings and at weekends so can play mornings and on the couple of days he gets off during the week so he's never under pressure from loads of people on the course. His irons and a hybrid are consistent but it's safe to say that his driver varies from nailing it to three off the tee! There again, he gets very little opportunity to take the driver out at Barnehurst and really does need to get to play other courses to gain that consistency. Safe to say, though, he has caught the bug! Thanks once again. 
  • Options

The Wiltshire course was £35 and worth every penny imo, the hotel is being used to house migrants so we were a bit skeptical of what the golf facilities would be like, its a course that with a little tlc could easily be top tier. 

then from there onto Celtic manor the cellar bar watching the spurs game was ok but v busy, we went for dinner at the couldra court which annoyingly isnt covered by shuttle transfers, so had to arrange our own taxis which took an age, meal was okay but service shocking. 

played the montgomerie on the Sunday 8.30am tee off we had buggies but as you have to stay on the path pain in the backside. 

next 2 breaks we are looking at are dale hill with a sunday overnight, then possibly the belfry in the summer. 
    AVOID Dale Hill - awful place - hotel is shite, food average at best, and the Woosnam Course is in terrible condition (original course is ok) - there is way better out there - Mannings Heath near Horsham is good
  • Options
    I think the slope and rating at Barnehurst is incorrect, a friend is a member there and has said as much according to the team there and golf England, but they have not done anything about as yet.

steady round at pedham yesterday greens were awful bumpy and struggling to recover from treatment, hopefully Burhill will be a bit more like it 
  • Options
    magic1999 said:
    I think the slope and rating at Barnehurst is incorrect, a friend is a member there and has said as much according to the team there and golf England, but they have not done anything about as yet.

steady round at pedham yesterday greens were awful bumpy and struggling to recover from treatment, hopefully Burhill will be a bit more like it 
    I played Burhill Old course a few weeks ago,tremendous course and it was in lovely condition. Enjoy!
  • Options

AVOID Dale Hill - awful place - hotel is shite, food average at best, and the Woosnam Course is in terrible condition (original course is ok) - there is way better out there - Mannings Heath near Horsham is good
    any other recommendations for a place with 2 courses and a hotel/accomodation local 

ideally somewhere where there is a little bit of nightlife as in a pub etc and somewhere for a decent meal.  
  • Options

any other recommendations for a place with 2 courses and a hotel/accomodation local 

ideally somewhere where there is a little bit of nightlife as in a pub etc and somewhere for a decent meal.  
    https://www.eastsussexnational.co.uk/

• Options

Mannings Heath has 2 courses - but not the nightlife / local pub you seek

Maybe play Princes (next to Royal St George’s) - it’s 3x 9 holes - cracking place - courses are challenging - they have a hotel - evenings are fine in the bar - food is good - links golf (my favourite, albeit I’m not a good links golfer !!!) - you can go into Sandwich for the evening if you want (can walk it, but a trek) - or get a cab 
  • Options

Wensum Valley, Norwich
  • Options

Can I suggest some non resort type courses. Celtic Manor, Dale Hill & The Belfry  are all lovely courses but there are many more much better (and cheaper) all over the country. 
  • Options
    First of all, thanks to those who recommended David Young as a coach. My son had one lesson with him last year at the Sidcup Golf Centre but he didn't get a chance to play or have any more lessons before he went to Australia for six months to play cricket where he got to play two or three rounds of golf. He has started taking golf more seriously in the last three months (currently on the range or playing most days mostly at Barnehurst GC) and has had three more lessons in the last month and says David has been a great help. David is now based at the Corinthian GC - it's further to travel but the benefit is that the lessons are on turf which helps in terms of ball striking is more realistic than off the mat and also in relation to identifying how well he is hitting the ball by looking at the nature and direction of the divot. 

My son has one issue and the answer might be obvious but it's the aspect of handicapping for which we would appreciate some help from the golfers on here. Last week he became a member at Barnehurst who have said that they will allocate him a handicap once he's handed in cards to the value of 54 holes.  He usually shoots between 74 and 78 there (par 68 and a short course) but would be in the mid to high 80s when playing longer and more testing courses. Even taking into account "slope", in theory, were he assessed on his Barnehurst scores would he not be, from a handicapping position, in a less fortunate position against someone who had been assessed based on three cards at say Lullingstone for example? i.e. I'm not sure that "slope" would make up a potential differential of anything up to 10 shots between the two course.

Thanks in advance and apologies if we're missing something rather obvious here! 

I managed to get my 18 handicap by playing in the monthly medals at Barnehurst (years before slope indexes) and that enabled me to play Royal St Georges (yes, they check your handicap before letting you play). I always said my 18 handicap was more like 26 anywhere else but at least it was "official" and let me on many courses that needed a handicap certificate. 

The only downside was when playing in society events where I usually came well down any scoring lists & didn't win any prizes.