Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Great band - but short lived

Saw a documentary last night about one of my favourite bands -Badfinger
Produced a few great singles - namely -Come and get it,No matter what and day after day.
Unfortunately like a lot of bands were badly managed.
Tragically two of the group Pete Ham and Tom Evans both committed suicide.
Ironically one song they wrote but not released as a single by them -Without you went on to become a Multi million seller covered by both Nilsson and Mariah Carey.
As I said -Great band but short lived

Comments

• Stealers Wheel?
    Saw them play in a bar in Kent University in front of twenty people a few week before Stuck in the Middle came out. They seemed to split up on the brink of big things. But both Gerry Rafferty and Joe Egan went on to have great careers.

And Blind Faith?
  • The greatest of them all in my opinion has to be Cream - only actually active for a couple of years but what an influence those three were.
  • The greatest of them all in my opinion has to be Cream - only actually active for a couple of years but what an influence those three were.

But at least they put out a few albums. I’m not sure they fit the parameters do they?
  • Saw a documentary last night about one of my favourite bands -Badfinger
    Produced a few great singles - namely -Come and get it,No matter what and day after day.
    Unfortunately like a lot of bands were badly managed.
    Tragically two of the group Pete Ham and Tom Evans both committed suicide.
    Ironically one song they wrote but not released as a single by them -Without you went on to become a Multi million seller covered by both Nilsson and Mariah Carey.
    As I said -Great band but short lived

Come & get it was written by Paul McCartney.
  • Medicine head another one...
  • Slack Alice rock band..anyone remember "motorcycle dream"
  • Can think of a few spin off bands like Them Crooked Vultures, The Good The Bad and The Queen, Derrick and the Dominoes and, er, The Seahorses... not sure they really count.

What about the Sex Pistols? Only one proper studio album, very influential, ok, they've had some comeback gigs...

Obscure, but The Monks were great while they lasted
  • edited July 2018
    Derek and the Dominos - only one album but the guitar interplay between Eric Clapton and Duane Allman was stunning.
  • JamesSeed said:

The greatest of them all in my opinion has to be Cream - only actually active for a couple of years but what an influence those three were.

But at least they put out a few albums. I’m not sure they fit the parameters do they?
    All depends what the criteria for "short lived" is - if the Stones are at one end of the spectrum them Cream has to be very near the other.
  • Sponsored links:

• The Redskins
  • JamesSeed said:

The greatest of them all in my opinion has to be Cream - only actually active for a couple of years but what an influence those three were.

All depends what the criteria for "short lived" is - if the Stones are at one end of the spectrum them Cream has to be very near the other.
    Cream are the band I'd most liked to have seen.
  • Blodwyn Pig.Mick Abraham's band only made two albums.First album had best ever sleeve IMO.How about a thread about best album covers.
  • Joy Division
    N.W.A.
    Nirvana
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Chris and Glenn
  • Be bob delux
  • There are many bands that were only active for a relatively short period (for a number of reasons of course) that could be described as great/influential. The daddy of them all for me would be The Jimi Hendrix Experience but adding to that could be The Doors, Buddy Holly and The Sex Pistols. I also agree with AA on Cream.
  • L
    Solidgone said:

Be bob delux

Bebop Deluxe
  • bobmunro said:

There are many bands that were only active for a relatively short period (for a number of reasons of course) that could be described as great/influential. The daddy of them all for me would be The Jimi Hendrix Experience but adding to that could be The Doors, Buddy Holly and The Sex Pistols. I also agree with AA on Cream.

I know what you mean, but I never really thought of any of them as truly short lived. I'm sure we can come up with better :-)
  • The Wild Swans - one fantastic single, a couple of sessions and only saw the light of day as an LP 20 years later. Not counting any reformed stuff.
    The Playn Jayn - 80s psychedelia from Charlton of all places. Great live.
    Josef K
    Teardrop Explodes

• Difficult to say short-lived because they (probably?) still exist in some form or another but the line-up for Soft Machine in the first couple of years knocked out some decent stuff and was very influential. (The Canterbury Scene/Sound for the youngsters.)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2018
    Moby Grape and Love - a couple of superb late 60s bands that didn't last for long.
  • JamesSeed said:

bobmunro said:

There are many bands that were only active for a relatively short period (for a number of reasons of course) that could be described as great/influential. The daddy of them all for me would be The Jimi Hendrix Experience but adding to that could be The Doors, Buddy Holly and The Sex Pistols. I also agree with AA on Cream.

I know what you mean, but I never really thought of any of them as truly short lived. I'm sure we can come up with better :-)
    Their activity short-lived, their influence timeless.
  • The new radicals
  • The new radicals

I bought that album based on that one bloody song.....
  • YTS1978 said:

The La’s

Didn't 'they' go on to form Cast?
  • The Seahorses
  • edited July 2018

YTS1978 said:

The La’s

Didn't 'they' go on to form Cast?
    John Power was the lead singer in cast and basis in The La’s. The genius behind The La’s, Lee Mavers, decided to disappear into thin air! I think they did a handful of gigs a few years ago, but only have one album. Wgich is a cracker to be fair!

A quick google reveals a couple of other lads from the La’s were in the original line up of cast too, so you’re right @SuedeAdidas
  • I think the Travelling Wilburys fall into this category.