Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Great band - but short lived

Comments

• Options
    Carter said:

TelMc32 said:

Jeff Buckley
    Lauryn Hill
    and more recently Viola Beach

Viola Beach are a genuine tragedy and loss to British music. I got recommended their album by a mate, listened to it on loop for about 3 days to and from work and was frantically googling what shows they were playing and found out they were all killed in a car accident in Sweden, I then realised it was these guys Chris Martin and Coldplay did a tribute to at Glastonbury. Hugely ignorant on my part and parking for a second the tragedy of those young men all losing their life at the same time, a massive loss to music. Their album was a genuine good un and that's something I say rarely
    Yeah, I know mate. I’d really enjoyed the two singles and they were lined up to do a number of festivals that summer, as well as supporting Blossoms. It was a complete tragedy & I doubt we’ll never know now exactly why their car went through the barriers and went over. Love the album. Such a shame it’s all we’ll ever hear.
  • Options
    Charlton Life does not do good music threads. This one sums it up. Derek and the Dominos and The Traveling Willburys, enough said.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Charlton Life does not do good music threads. This one sums it up. Derek and the Dominos and The Traveling Willburys, enough said.

Au contraire mon ami.

The knowledge, experience and insight demonstrated in a number of musical threads puts CL right up there.

Diversity as well - only on CL would you see Jimi Hendrix spoken of in the same breath as The Archies!

I'll get me coat!
  • Options
    Apartment.

The Dreamer Evasive is one of my most played albums.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Au contraire mon ami.

The knowledge, experience and insight demonstrated in a number of musical threads puts CL right up there.

Diversity as well - only on CL would you see Jimi Hendrix spoken of in the same breath as The Archies!

I'll get me coat!
    Of course there are exceptions to the rule and I fully appreciate your musical knowledge. But to quote groups who's members either went on to greatness or had already achieved such status before they joined supergroups just shows the ignorance there is on here.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

L

Solidgone said:

Be bob delux

Bebop Deluxe
    Sunburst Finish.
    One of the best albums my ears have had the privilege to listen to.
    Bill Nelson still turning out a couple of albums a year.
  • Options
    Should have named the thread: 'Great bands that knew when to pack it in'...
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Riviera said:

bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Au contraire mon ami.

I'll get me coat!
    Of course there are exceptions to the rule and I fully appreciate your musical knowledge. But to quote groups who's members either went on to greatness or had already achieved such status before they joined supergroups just shows the ignorance there is on here.
    Peak Polonius. The only qualifications were that they were a short lived band, and great.
  • Options

Camel never achieved household name status.

Totally agree. Snow Goose and Fox on the hill superb albums...
    Camel are touring this year, and play the Royal Albert Hall in September.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Then Jerico

Used to work with the Drummer , at a Double Glazing company in Greenwich .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MIRRORS ,
    A great Synth/electronic band from a few years back , only the one fantastic Album then then disbanded , they are what all new groups coming into this Genre of music should Aspire to .
    https://youtu.be/9QTvaONC_-g
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Riviera said:

bobmunro said:

Riviera said:

Au contraire mon ami.

I'll get me coat!
    The thing with Derek and the Dominos, is that when Layla and other Assorted Love Songs was released Clapton and Allman didn't want the public to know it was them, they wanted the album and songs to sell on merit...er...it didn't and it sank like a stone.....then the record company who had put in the dough, lots of dough 'accidentally' let it slip that it was Slowhand and Skydog on the album, the general public then went out and sent it to number one. So if the record company had kept schtum no one would know the song Layla. So I guess Derek and the Dominos fits this thread.
  • Options
    fadgadget said:

MIRRORS ,
    A great Synth/electronic band from a few years back , only the one fantastic Album then then disbanded , they are what all new groups coming into this Genre of music should Aspire to .
    https://youtu.be/9QTvaONC_-g

I heard that, upon reflection, they decided the music business wasn't for them.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention Subway Sect (the original ‘punk’ band. After they split it was always a Vic Godard solo project.)
  • Options

In truth I don't think they had any pretention otherwise

They must have the hump about that
    I just knew that was going to be posted sooner or later......turned out to be sooner!
  • Options
    seth plum said:

I think the Travelling Wilburys fall into this category.

Not sure they fit into the category because they never really intended to be a long term set up.
    They pretty much achieved what they wanted.....and more as a matter of fact.
    They were great of course.
  • Options
    The Ruts - made some great music prior to the death of vocalist Malcolm Owen. Mixed up punk and reggae and were a blistering live act.

Very underrated.
  • Options

Moby Grape and Love - a couple of superb late 60s bands that didn't last for long.

I think Love deserve a long service medal rather than the title of short lived:

Classic line up 63-68 - recorded three LPs during this time
    then Bryan MacLean left
    68-70 mostly Arthur Lee, semi-permanent line-up with guests / session musicians – 3LPs released
    72 Arthur Lee solo LP
    73 another LP recorded as Love but not released (finally released a few years ago)
    74 ‘final’ Love LP released
    78 Bryan McClean and Artur Lee reunion, live Love LP released
    82 Love compilation LP released
    92 LP released as Arthur Lee and Love (admittedly all session musicians)
    93 toured
    95 compilation LP released
    Arthur Lee went to jail for five or six years so not much happening during this time
    2003-04 toured the world (with some original members of the band)
    Arthur Lee dies shortly afterwards

Even if you're just looking at the time up to Forever Changes its's still five years

• Options
    milo said:

Moby Grape and Love - a couple of superb late 60s bands that didn't last for long.

I think Love deserve a long service medal rather than the title of short lived:

Classic line up 63-68 - recorded three LPs during this time
    then Bryan MacLean left
    68-70 mostly Arthur Lee, semi-permanent line-up with guests / session musicians – 3LPs released
    72 Arthur Lee solo LP
    73 another LP recorded as Love but not released (finally released a few years ago)
    74 ‘final’ Love LP released
    78 Bryan McClean and Artur Lee reunion, live Love LP released
    82 Love compilation LP released
    92 LP released as Arthur Lee and Love (admittedly all session musicians)
    93 toured
    95 compilation LP released
    Arthur Lee went to jail for five or six years so not much happening during this time
    2003-04 toured the world (with some original members of the band)
    Arthur Lee dies shortly afterwards

Even if you're just looking at the time up to Forever Changes its's still five years

I Love "LOVE" Forever Changes , my favourite Album of theirs .
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Those first three Love albums in such a short period of time are absolutely classic and after Bryan McClean and others left it's basically Arthur Lee solo under the banner of Love.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Discovered Black Beauty by Love last year, it was released in 2012, complied from sessions recorded after Lee's solo album, it's a rock/funk sound that for whatever reason never got released, well worth a listen.
  • Options
    AC/DC

Ooops sorry - I thought the thread title was Short band - but great lived.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

AC/DC

Ooops sorry - I thought the thread title was Short band - but great lived.

While we're on AC/DC...

The Easybeats
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Reuben - British rock band from the 00s, my favourite band who released 3 albums to great acclaim but could never earn enough £ to get away from their day jobs and eventually quit. The drummer was working in a John Lewis and the singer/guitarist worked in a chip shop!
  • Options
    Honeycrack - great songwriter in Willy Dowling, scorching live band, got a short burst of mainstream exposure and a major label deal. Their one album (Prozaic) and 4 of their singles made the UK top 50 in 1995/6 but record company indifference/idiocy left them adrift and all band members started or joined other projects.
    Candyheadz - formed by ex-P.I.L. guitarist Ted Chau, another tremendous songwriter, front man and all around top bloke. Released one album (Go Forth And Multiply) and one single (Falling Down), terrific live act. Record company and management fuckwittedness let them down badly.
    Black Spiders - consistently spectacular (and loud) live act, two thumping albums and a number of EP's of top quality British hard rock, seasoned with intelligence and a wry sense of humour. 8 years solid touring, not long enough for me but it doesn't look like there'll be anymore to come from them
    Intaferon - 3 singles across 1983/4 chief among them 'Get Out Of London' probably the greatest British electronic new wave record of them all. video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQCh27FpYyY

you're welcome

maybe we should blast Get Out Of London on a loop at roly tooshit's premises like the CIA did to Noriega in Panama? There's no chance the malignant old fistula could put up with that for long
  • Options

Those first three Love albums in such a short period of time are absolutely classic and after Bryan McClean and others left it's basically Arthur Lee solo under the banner of Love.

I think it’s fair to say that Love were for the most part Arthur Lee. Of the first three LPs, Bryan MacLean only wrote four of the songs and cowrote two or three others. Admittedly, the songs he wrote were as good as any that Arthur Lee wrote. Much of Forever Changes was recorded by Arthur Lee himself or by session musicians, if he felt he couldn’t play the part. Unfortunately, at this point most of the band were addicted to heroin and weren’t turning up to the studio – two of them were robbing convenience stores at the time.

I think the reason the rest of the band were held in such high regard was because Arthur Lee never recaptured the heights he had achieved before he sacked them all. I would argue that maybe Arthur Lee just went downhill from then on and it had nothing to do with the band. Many of the acts that were highly innovative and interesting in the late 60s got worse with every passing year of the 1970s.

Radio Six have a podcast out at present ‘A-Z of psychedelic music’ which spans 1966-69 and is quite an interesting listen. Love are mentioned several times (as are Moby Grape). Worth a listen if you like the music of the time.

By the way, I completely agree with you that the first three albums were recorded in a short period and are all classics.

• Options
    Late Of The Pier had the British electropop scene at their absolute mercy and then just vanished. One of them died tragically a few years ago. I don't know what the others are doing now.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Late Of The Pier had the British electropop scene at their absolute mercy and then just vanished. One of them died tragically a few years ago. I don't know what the others are doing now.

Sam Dust/Eastgate performed with Filthy Dukes and then did his own stuff as LA Priest...worth a listen, if you liked LotP.
  • Options
    This Mortal Coil