Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Mesut Ozil

124»

Comments

• Options
    I personally would only have country of your birth and country of your parents birth to enable qualification to a given country's national sporting teams.

Birth country of grandparents gives too much scope for choice and the residency rules (ie lived in a country for xx years) is just wrong in my opinion as it gives rich national associations much too much room for 'buying' players to play for the national team.

If your nation cannot produce enough home grown talent then tough sh*t.
  • Options

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

James McLean is a player that makes no excuse for using the northern Irish fa youth system to his advantage then electing to play for the republic - me personally i find it a bit hypocritical - entitled to his thoughts on things but i think that is a bit cheeky.

happened a lot not so long ago when the bulk of the Irish team were made up from english lads with Irish parents.

the ozil thing i dont get personally because to me hes as German as i am english

players like shaquiri i do get as they were born in kosovo and until v recently they could not play for the country.

Ozil on the other hand could of elected to play for turkey if he wanted to.

Reminds me of secondary school when Ireland qualified for USA 94 and onwards. think the best/worst example was Clinton Morrison. Ridiculous
    Why is Clinton Morrison the worst example?

I would definitely say Tony Cascarino would be the worse. I don't have a problem with people representing where their heritage is from especially if that's where they feel they are from. I don't like the people who play for a country because they can't get a game for the country they feel their from. I think if you represent the senior team in any game including friendlies then you should not be allowed to change countries.
    What Clinton ‘ya get me blood’ Morrison. He’s got beamish running through his veins

To be fair Cascarino is a good shout as well. Then there’s me ol’ mucker Andy Townsend. Wales are making a good play in recent years to compete with them now though.
    Cascarino didn't even have Irish Grandparents, Morrison did. I actually went to school with someone who spoke very like Morrison, the guy in question was born in Ireland and lived there till around 6-7. So not sure you can really define someone by the way they speak. Also the language you mention I would refer to as street (Can't stand it myself ) and you'd be surprised how many different area's would have people speaking like this.
    How did cascarino slip through the net then? I can understand Morrison if he’s actually got grandparents that are Irish

On a separate note, Cech reckons Ozil would make a good captain. No wonder that club is such a shower of mediocrity and feebleness if he thinks Ozil is captain material. Says it all
  • Options
    cabbles said:

cabbles said:

cabbles said:

James McLean is a player that makes no excuse for using the northern Irish fa youth system to his advantage then electing to play for the republic - me personally i find it a bit hypocritical - entitled to his thoughts on things but i think that is a bit cheeky.

happened a lot not so long ago when the bulk of the Irish team were made up from english lads with Irish parents.

the ozil thing i dont get personally because to me hes as German as i am english

players like shaquiri i do get as they were born in kosovo and until v recently they could not play for the country.

Ozil on the other hand could of elected to play for turkey if he wanted to.

Reminds me of secondary school when Ireland qualified for USA 94 and onwards. think the best/worst example was Clinton Morrison. Ridiculous
    Why is Clinton Morrison the worst example?

I would definitely say Tony Cascarino would be the worse. I don't have a problem with people representing where their heritage is from especially if that's where they feel they are from. I don't like the people who play for a country because they can't get a game for the country they feel their from. I think if you represent the senior team in any game including friendlies then you should not be allowed to change countries.
    What Clinton ‘ya get me blood’ Morrison. He’s got beamish running through his veins

To be fair Cascarino is a good shout as well. Then there’s me ol’ mucker Andy Townsend. Wales are making a good play in recent years to compete with them now though.
    Cascarino didn't even have Irish Grandparents, Morrison did. I actually went to school with someone who spoke very like Morrison, the guy in question was born in Ireland and lived there till around 6-7. So not sure you can really define someone by the way they speak. Also the language you mention I would refer to as street (Can't stand it myself ) and you'd be surprised how many different area's would have people speaking like this.
    How did cascarino slip through the net then? I can understand Morrison if he’s actually got grandparents that are Irish

On a separate note, Cech reckons Ozil would make a good captain. No wonder that club is such a shower of mediocrity and feebleness if he thinks Ozil is captain material. Says it all
    Basically because the authorities didn't actually check it out. Ridiculous really that a local Sunday league will do more checks. It only ever came out because Cascarino wanted to bring out a Autobiography and no one would touch it because he wasn't big enough and then he announced it via that.