Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Confirmed- Josh Magennis joins Bolton

Comments

• Options

I'm more critical of him mainly due to all the people saying 'what a nice bloke' & 'always tries hard' etc. those characteristics also describe my postman, still don't want him playing for Charlton

If he’s got a good delivery, your postie night get a game on Saturday.
  • Options

Surprised that there are so many ungracious posts about a player that always gave 100%. Never shirked or hid. As far as we know was a model professional. Has left the club to better his career. Didn’t try to engineer a move.

Good luck Josh. As far as I am concerned you’ve been a proper Charlton player.

Agree with all of this. OK, his form seemed to drop after the World Cup playoffs, but he did pretty well for us overall. With Taylor injured we’re left with KAG and Ajose, both of whom we’d bin off if anyone wanted them. I’m sure Bowyer is being honest when he says people are coming in, but he wouldn’t be the first manager in recent years to be fed a few porkies.

• Options

I'm more critical of him mainly due to all the people saying 'what a nice bloke' & 'always tries hard' etc. those characteristics also describe my postman, still don't want him playing for Charlton

If the only players Charlton players you can get behind are world beaters your trips to The Valley must be very miserable.

• Options
    Who is selling them ?

I don’t believe for one minute that bowyer does not know the score and that they are getting sold from under him - he wants the job so has to toe the line !!!! —- do though feel sorry for him as he starts his management career ....

Just the silence of the Aussie the Belgium and Murray ( sounds like a joke ) is deafening
  • Options
    Closing down sale! All reasonable offers accepted! Discounts for Cash! Everyone must go!

Let’s get the placards painted up in time for the Shrewsbury match demo.

Having said that, under ordinary circumstances I’d have been happy to replace Josh with Lyle Taylor, and if no one else is sold (big IF) and we bring in three more, then it’ll have been a better transfer window that I expected, which maybe doesn’t say much.

Good luck to Josh though, a whole hearted team player, and a likeable character. Wish him well.
  • Options

If the only players Charlton players you can get behind are world beaters your trips to The Valley must be very miserable.

They are indeed!
  • Options
    jdsd42 said:

Who is selling them ?

I don’t believe for one minute that bowyer does not know the score and that they are getting sold from under him - he wants the job so has to toe the line !!!! —- do though feel sorry for him as he starts his management career ....

Just the silence of the Aussie the Belgium and Murray ( sounds like a joke ) is deafening

But then other than Konsa, who was always going to leave, nobody has been sold that Bowyer would have been desperate to keep. I imagine in normal circumstances he would happily be clearing out the likes of Lennon, Magennis, Ajose etc as long as he can bring in replacements.

Pearce, Page?, Bauer, Fosu, JFC, Aribo, they're the players which he would fight to keep out of last year's squad (plus Clarke and maybe Igor and Sarr?)

What he and we desperately need is a signing or two tomorrow or Wednesday though, hopefully something is going on behind the scenes.

• Options
    Good luck Josh. Liked his attitude, thought he was unlucky to be at the end of crap formations and crescent crosses...
  • Options
    If he hadn't had skied a sitter at AFC Dons in Dec we would have had a day out at Wembley.

Not forgotten or forgiven.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If he hadn't had skied a sitter at AFC Dons in Dec we would have had a day out at Wembley.

How ? We still didn't beat Shrewsbury!
  • Options
    uie2 said:

How ? We still didn't beat Shrewsbury!
    Oh the tin pot cup I get you
  • Options
    The first time I saw Magennis I was at a game with a non-Charlton fan. He didn't score but we both thought he was the best player on the park, winning a lot, hassling and working hard the entire game. My Man U supporting mate was very impressed with him. I've seen glimpses of this since but perhaps not so much as in that first game.

Compare that with Nicky Ajose, for example, and that's where the difference lies.

We've lost a good player for a pittance thanks to Roland's continued demolition of our club.

I may go to the Wycombe game when I'm on London. I hate to think what team I might see. It'll probably be my only game of the season and that's why I won't boycott.
  • Options
    A Sign to me the deal is Dead with aussies
  • Options
    We have had 3 players on loan recently and not signed any of them.
    If selling Josh frees up the cash for Bowyer to sign a couple of players then it's a good deal.
    If we sign no one then it just weakens the squad.
    Either way Roland out.
  • Options
    I don’t think the budget that Bowyer has to work with would allow him to sign Ince, Ward and Dawkins or alternatives and still look at bringing in the loans targeted. I’m guessing Josh leaving was not seen by Lee as a disaster but more a way of stretching his budget. If we really wanted solely to cash in on players I think there are others that would fetch in more in fees. Josh and Ajose were big wages . Haven’t I seen somewhere that NA is on 8k per week ? I’m certain that a replacement for Magennis will arrive. I don’t think Josh was sold from under Bowyer.
  • Options

How do you get to that conclusion?
  • Options

Because we sold a player for £200k? I think it’s just a sign Bowyer didn’t rate him.
  • Options

At this point you seem to actively want the deal with the Australians to fail.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

this with bells on, we are in a far worse position to what we was the start of last season, surely if someone was taking over they would want the club to at least stay in league 1, we have an okay team but cant see where the goals and wins are going to come from at best i am predicting mid table.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018

If Roland buys a player you could also say the same thing, and I'd feel more likely the deal was dead of that happened.

• Options

I don’t think the budget that Bowyer has to work with would allow him to sign Ince, Ward and Dawkins or alternatives and still look at bringing in the loans targeted. I’m guessing Josh leaving was not seen by Lee as a disaster but more a way of stretching his budget. If we really wanted solely to cash in on players I think there are others that would fetch in more in fees. Josh and Ajose were big wages . Haven’t I seen somewhere that NA is on 8k per week ? I’m certain that a replacement for Magennis will arrive. I don’t think Josh was sold from under Bowyer.

Agree. Nice to see a bit more of a positive post. A number of league 1 clubs have had to do this to stretch their budgets.
  • Options

Note the openness and clarity of the Bolton chairman’s statement.

Good luck Josh.

I think they've been watching the wrong player by that description. Pace ?
    Think you've been watching the wrong player. For a man of his size he is very quick.
  • Options
    Think this is a terrible decision. We have no one else remotely similar to Josh who could perform the same role. Whist he probably wouldn't have been First choice this year he would have been needed for certain situations and matches. Also very good as a back up/ rotation option.

No chance of getting a replacement in.

Stupid fucking football club.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I think we will sign someone now Magennis has gone, possibly Dawkins. Problem being if it’s one out one in we are screwed because we need another 4/5 and only Ajose and maybe Reeves are players we wouldn’t miss
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Think it was the Coventry game and we sat right at the front of the covered end so we could lob pigs or whatever it was on the pitch and Magennis had a beast of a game .
    We were up close and could see him bullying their centre halves for fun with every run and 50-50 shoulder charge , I’m sure he scored and assisted that day , he was virtually unplayable .
    I liked him but don’t think those days of dominating teams came around enough but I wish we’d kept him but wish him well in the future always came across as a nice fella
  • Options

I think we will sign someone know Magennis has gone, possibly Dawkins. Problem being if it’s one out one in we are screwed because we need another 4/5 and only Ajose and maybe Reeves are players we wouldn’t miss

One in one out is ok in May. In August the one that is coming in has had a pre-season with another team or, worse, no pre-season at all (remember Reeves last year).
  • Options

If he’s got a good delivery, your postie night get a game on Saturday.
    Bet the postie can hit the target forst time without 50 miserable attempts that all hit the letterbox guard.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Because we sold a player for £200k? I think it’s just a sign Bowyer didn’t rate him.
    According to the Belfast Telegraph, Bolton had tried to sign him for £500k in January (https://belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/josh-magennis-signs-for-bolton-wanderers-37168309.html).

The mention about Bauer almost seems like the club offering BOGOF/multibuy deals to "customers"....

I'm a bit wary of Bowyer saying that no-one would be sold unless a replacement was lined up, rather than the deal agreed. It's a bit like me trying to suggest that I have (plucking the only current female celebrity he can remember out of the air) Taylor Swift lined up; not even I truly believe it will happen, and I am nothing if not delusional.

PS Disappointed to see Josh go, I don't think we were ever really set up to get the best out of him.
  • Options
    Good luck to him,I thought if we could have found him a decent partner and played a front two,he would have been very effective,loved his work ethic.Bolton could have a winner here.