Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Celtic Champions Already??

Comments

• Options
    Brentford buying their best centre back for 15 million. Has got a lot of Celtic supporters riled on social media.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    I think the prolonged absence by Rangers from the top table eventually done for Celtic. Going from a two horse race to a one horse race for effectively a decade. It’s the poke in the ribs Celtic needed and I fully expect that within 18 months the Old Firm nip and tuck to be fully restored. 
    I don’t mean this disparagingly, I really don’t, but how much Scottish football do you watch? Celtic’s squad is absolutely dreadful at the moment (probably for the reasons you point out) and there’s going to be a big rebuilding job required. 

Given that’s the case, giving their new manager, who was about half way down their list of preferences, a 12 month contract is bizarre. 
    12 month ROLLING contract
    Apparently that was the same contract that all Celtic managers have had since O Neill. 

What Scottish football really needs is a third or even fourth club to compete with the Old Firm. 

The current Celtic and Rangers teams would be midtable Championship in my view with the others around L1 standard. 
    100%

What I would add is that there has not been a third team competing over a sustained period of time for more than 40 years, perhaps a lot longer.

Tbf to the sweaties, I have been to around 23 grounds up there, with gates ranging from 200 to 40k, they are much more vocal and excitable than in England.  Fair play to 'em.
    Whisky and Irn bru  has that effect 
    Agree with @Elfsborg@ElfsborgAddick

I have been to Raith Rovers a few times ( I once sat near Gordon Brown) and the crowd is passionate. It was a really good atmosphere. 

I have also been to both Old Firm grounds and apart from the sectarianism I enjoyed the passion.

I attended Ibrox with some guys I met from an Open University summer school to see them play Arsenal in a friendly and three of them were from Southern Ireland. We had to walk back to the City centre before they felt safe to go in a Pub. 

Three days earlier I had been to see the Gunners play at Parkhead and felt the area was a dump in fact I was disgusted that a gleaming football stadium had been upgraded in such an area. I returned there eight years later to see Raith in a Cup tie when I was working in Glasgow and was impressed how the area had been transformed. In place of a Primary School which was falling down there was Chris Hoy's velodrom. The Stadium now had an area which matched it. 
    Must be a nightmare for the Rangers Supporters club members in Dublin & Donegal then.

My ex, who is Irish catholic, has been to Ibrox with me and was made most welcome by all, and yes, even after her nationality and religion was mentioned in conversations.
    The only time she was ever treated badly because of it, during our time together, was when a Glaswegian woman whose husband wore the grey & green rag all week in Tenerife one year whilst we were on holiday, verbally abused her and called her a traitor when she said she supported rangers etc.

That was not my experience.

I had bonded well with these Irish guys on my OU course and we decided to go to the game along with three other English blokes. 

They were reluctant to sit amongst the home fans so I told the box office I supported Arsenal so we could be in the away end. 

The sectarian singing was far worse than Celtic and I guess I felt it more because of my friends.
    Not denying yours or their experience, only stating my own.
    I for one wouldn’t feel safe being an Englishman or wearing anything, be it clothing or badges etc with a Union flag emblem on them in or near porkhead 

Both clubs have sections of supporters who engage in sectarian singing, to deny otherwise would be churlish, but her experience being Irish catholic, in and around Ibrox, countless Gers fans in pubs and hotels etc was positive. Her only interaction with the grey & green is negative.
    Richard J’s experience matches my own when I use to visit the Rangers supporting family of my ex 30 years ago. On a few occasions I took the opportunity to go to a couple of Celtic games on my own. But the days I use to travel through the Ibrox area on a match day really opened my eyes to the hatred and bigotry of the Rangers’ fans. To suggest that Rangers has a smaller following of bigots than Celtic is staggeringly delusional.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:
    I think the prolonged absence by Rangers from the top table eventually done for Celtic. Going from a two horse race to a one horse race for effectively a decade. It’s the poke in the ribs Celtic needed and I fully expect that within 18 months the Old Firm nip and tuck to be fully restored. 
    I don’t mean this disparagingly, I really don’t, but how much Scottish football do you watch? Celtic’s squad is absolutely dreadful at the moment (probably for the reasons you point out) and there’s going to be a big rebuilding job required. 

Given that’s the case, giving their new manager, who was about half way down their list of preferences, a 12 month contract is bizarre. 
    Apparently that was the same contract that all Celtic managers have had since O Neill. 

What Scottish football really needs is a third or even fourth club to compete with the Old Firm. 

The current Celtic and Rangers teams would be midtable Championship in my view with the others around L1 standard. 
    100%

What I would add is that there has not been a third team competing over a sustained period of time for more than 40 years, perhaps a lot longer.

Tbf to the sweaties, I have been to around 23 grounds up there, with gates ranging from 200 to 40k, they are much more vocal and excitable than in England.  Fair play to 'em.

I have been to Raith Rovers a few times ( I once sat near Gordon Brown) and the crowd is passionate. It was a really good atmosphere. 

I have also been to both Old Firm grounds and apart from the sectarianism I enjoyed the passion.

I attended Ibrox with some guys I met from an Open University summer school to see them play Arsenal in a friendly and three of them were from Southern Ireland. We had to walk back to the City centre before they felt safe to go in a Pub. 

Three days earlier I had been to see the Gunners play at Parkhead and felt the area was a dump in fact I was disgusted that a gleaming football stadium had been upgraded in such an area. I returned there eight years later to see Raith in a Cup tie when I was working in Glasgow and was impressed how the area had been transformed. In place of a Primary School which was falling down there was Chris Hoy's velodrom. The Stadium now had an area which matched it. 
    Must be a nightmare for the Rangers Supporters club members in Dublin & Donegal then.

My ex, who is Irish catholic, has been to Ibrox with me and was made most welcome by all, and yes, even after her nationality and religion was mentioned in conversations.
    The only time she was ever treated badly because of it, during our time together, was when a Glaswegian woman whose husband wore the grey & green rag all week in Tenerife one year whilst we were on holiday, verbally abused her and called her a traitor when she said she supported rangers etc.

I had bonded well with these Irish guys on my OU course and we decided to go to the game along with three other English blokes. 

They were reluctant to sit amongst the home fans so I told the box office I supported Arsenal so we could be in the away end. 

The sectarian singing was far worse than Celtic and I guess I felt it more because of my friends.
    I for one wouldn’t feel safe being an Englishman or wearing anything, be it clothing or badges etc with a Union flag emblem on them in or near porkhead 

Both clubs have sections of supporters who engage in sectarian singing, to deny otherwise would be churlish, but her experience being Irish catholic, in and around Ibrox, countless Gers fans in pubs and hotels etc was positive. Her only interaction with the grey & green is negative.
    Richard J’s experience matches my own when I use to visit the Rangers supporting family of my ex 30 years ago. On a few occasions I took the opportunity to go to a couple of Celtic games on my own. But the days I use to travel through the Ibrox area on a match day really opened my eyes to the hatred and bigotry of the Rangers’ fans. To suggest that Rangers has a smaller following of bigots than Celtic is staggeringly delusional.
    Who suggested it was smaller?
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

100%

In my view it was a lot more widespread at Ibrox than Parkhead and that was from sitting in the away end.

At Celtic I sat amongst home fans. Interestingly my English accent wasn't a problem. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

100%

In my view it was a lot more widespread at Ibrox than Parkhead and that was from sitting in the away end.

At Celtic I sat amongst home fans. Interestingly my English accent wasn't a problem. 
    The worst team for English-hating in Scotland, hands down, is Hibs.

Charlton played them in a friendly a couple of days after I moved to Edinburgh in 2006, so obviously I went along. I’ve never seen as much vitriol against the English as I did that night and I’ve been to watch Celtic at Parkhead against English teams and Scotland v England matches.

On the broader debate that you guys are having my advice would be to not let any of the madness take up even 1% of your brain power. The sectarian stuff in Scottish society is really hard to understand. Both my parents are from the Scottish west coast so I go up regularly (often to watch Rangers) and, as above, I lived in Edinburgh for a few years. Despite this I still don’t fully get why people in Scotland, many with no association to Northern Ireland, would care about a war in another country. If you stop and think about it for a second, hearing Rangers fans singing about “King Billy” or Celtic cheering some long forgotten terrorist from decades ago, is really, really, weird. It would be like Charlton fans randomly deciding to pick a side in the Lithuanian civil war of 1381. Which of the Old Firm is worse for sectarianism cannot be measured, both will blame each other, people who went to one game one time will share anecdotes but none of these amount to a real understanding or measurement of the situation. We can only say they are both worse than they should be and I would love to see it eradicated, but I think it’s probably getting worse. 

One point I’ve always considered (this goes back to me not to really understanding it) is that most of the people singing the songs or shouting the slogans can’t really mean it, or at least not as vociferously as they make out, or else Scottish society wouldn’t really be able to function. David Murray, former Rangers chairman, said that the majority of people signing Billy Boys at Ibrox were “90 minute bigots”, in some ways I hope that’s true as it’s better than the alternative. 
    Really good post.

As I described above, my view is influenced by the OU Summer School I attended at Ibrox with some Irish Catholics as part of my group.

I do understand part of the reasons for the conflict in Scotland and is is related to Northern Ireland which many people in that part of Scotland have some family heritage concerning . Some years ago I was doing some work with Stena Line in Northern Ireland and whilst staying in Belfast attended a Linfield game at Windsor Park. Two things I remember from that night. One it was the most unfriendly experience I have ever had as a neutral at a game and secondly all of the fans wore Rangers rather than Linfield shirts. Apparently when the two sides had met in a European game all of the locals supported the Glasgow club over the Belfast one. So I see the Old Firm as a continuation of that.

Also toxic is the fact that the extremists are now taking sides on the Israel / Palestine debate. What does that have to do with either clubs especially as Celtic have Israeli players ?
  • Options
    🇩🇰
    Confused me that flag so had to look on results 😬is that a 2 leg tie 
  • Options
    In preparation for their Champions League qualifier next week, Celtic managed to score two goals in their pre season friendly against West Ham.

Unfortunately they let in 6 (six).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a contrast!
  • Options
    Can't wait for the bigots to start their champions league campaign.
  • Options
    Can't wait for the bigots to start their champions  Europa league campaign.

• Options
    Wont have to worry about qualifying next season, well one of them wont anyway.

I was reading the other day, because if Rangers good run in the Europa League Scotlands Coefficient has improved and the SPL winners get an automatic groupstage place next season.

Also if the Champions League winners also win their league, that SPL winner would be seeded.

So would be a great season for Aberdeen, Motherwell or Hearts to win the league finally, first year Scotland get an automatic place would be funny if it wasnt Celtic or Rangers
  • Options
    I know..long time ago they were champions of Europe....
  • Options

I was reading the other day, because if Rangers good run in the Europa League Scotlands Coefficient has improved and the SPL winners get an automatic groupstage place next season.

Also if the Champions League winners also win their league, that SPL winner would be seeded.

So would be a great season for Aberdeen, Motherwell or Hearts to win the league finally, first year Scotland get an automatic place would be funny if it wasnt Celtic or Rangers
    What drugs are you on?

Aberdeen and Motherwell's points total combined wouldn't have won the league last season. 
  • Options

What drugs are you on?

Aberdeen and Motherwell's points total combined wouldn't have won the league last season. 
    I never said they will win the league lol.

I said it would be great if one of them did.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Celtic drop into the Europa League after losing 3-2 on Aggregate to Midtjylland
    Celtic in Europe, the gift that keeps on giving.
  • Options
    Excellent start to the Postecoglou era!
  • Options
    Oh well, they will just have to stay as European Champions just once till they start again next season.
  • Options
    Football does have a funny way of biting you in the arse 
    🇩🇰🇩🇰🇩🇰🇩🇰🇩🇰🇩🇰🇩🇰
  • Options
    You don't have to qualify for it if you've already won it in the 60s.
  • Options
    Not really sure what Celtic's owners are doing, they appear to have sold half their team and not replaced any of them.

How can you go into a CL qualifier with that defence? Ages of 23, 21, 21 and a centre back who was only 18 last month.
  • Options
    Not really sure what Celtic's owners are doing, they appear to have sold half their team and not replaced any of them.

How can you go into a CL qualifier with that defence? Ages of 23, 21, 21 and a centre back who was only 18 last month.
    It doesn’t have Shane Duffy in it anymore after he returned to Brighton, so it can only be an improvement!
  • Options
    Also read they currently have no head of recruitment and no sporting director.

It's like they've got Meire running the show.