Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Celtic Champions Already??

Comments

• Options
    I think the prolonged absence by Rangers from the top table eventually done for Celtic. Going from a two horse race to a one horse race for effectively a decade. It’s the poke in the ribs Celtic needed and I fully expect that within 18 months the Old Firm nip and tuck to be fully restored. 
    I don’t mean this disparagingly, I really don’t, but how much Scottish football do you watch? Celtic’s squad is absolutely dreadful at the moment (probably for the reasons you point out) and there’s going to be a big rebuilding job required. 

Given that’s the case, giving their new manager, who was about half way down their list of preferences, a 12 month contract is bizarre. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    I think the prolonged absence by Rangers from the top table eventually done for Celtic. Going from a two horse race to a one horse race for effectively a decade. It’s the poke in the ribs Celtic needed and I fully expect that within 18 months the Old Firm nip and tuck to be fully restored. 
    I don’t mean this disparagingly, I really don’t, but how much Scottish football do you watch? Celtic’s squad is absolutely dreadful at the moment (probably for the reasons you point out) and there’s going to be a big rebuilding job required. 

Given that’s the case, giving their new manager, who was about half way down their list of preferences, a 12 month contract is bizarre. 
    12 month ROLLING contract
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Celtic can’t afford not to address their problems. Losing out to Rangers on an even basis is expected but they can’t and won’t become permanent also rans. It might well take a couple of seasons but they will get back onto the old footing. As I previously posted. The biggest issue on the horizon for Rangers is the inevitable departure of Gerrard. I’d be amazed if he’s there in two years time. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Apparently that was the same contract that all Celtic managers have had since O Neill. 

What Scottish football really needs is a third or even fourth club to compete with the Old Firm. 

The current Celtic and Rangers teams would be midtable Championship in my view with the others around L1 standard. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Right, so what’s the maximum length of commitment each party is making?
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

Apparently that was the same contract that all Celtic managers have had since O Neill. 

What Scottish football really needs is a third or even fourth club to compete with the Old Firm. 

The current Celtic and Rangers teams would be midtable Championship in my view with the others around L1 standard. 
    The current Celtic team would be relegated from the Championship. I think Rangers would either be near the top of the Championship or possibly at the very bottom end of the Premier League. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

The current Celtic team would be relegated from the Championship. I think Rangers would either be near the top of the Championship or possibly at the very bottom end of the Premier League. 
    Without trying to repeat myself it’s exactly why Gerrard will move on to bigger and better things ?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

100%

What I would add is that there has not been a third team competing over a sustained period of time for more than 40 years, perhaps a lot longer.

Tbf to the sweaties, I have been to around 23 grounds up there, with gates ranging from 200 to 40k, they are much more vocal and excitable than in England.  Fair play to 'em.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

100%

What I would add is that there has not been a third team competing over a sustained period of time for more than 40 years, perhaps a lot longer.

Tbf to the sweaties, I have been to around 23 grounds up there, with gates ranging from 200 to 40k, they are much more vocal and excitable than in England.  Fair play to 'em.
    Whisky and Irn bru  has that effect 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

100%

And fried Mars bars.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

100%

Agree with @Elfsborg@ElfsborgAddick

I have been to Raith Rovers a few times ( I once sat near Gordon Brown) and the crowd is passionate. It was a really good atmosphere. 

I have also been to both Old Firm grounds and apart from the sectarianism I enjoyed the passion.

I attended Ibrox with some guys I met from an Open University summer school to see them play Arsenal in a friendly and three of them were from Southern Ireland. We had to walk back to the City centre before they felt safe to go in a Pub. 

Three days earlier I had been to see the Gunners play at Parkhead and felt the area was a dump in fact I was disgusted that a gleaming football stadium had been upgraded in such an area. I returned there eight years later to see Raith in a Cup tie when I was working in Glasgow and was impressed how the area had been transformed. In place of a Primary School which was falling down there was Chris Hoy's velodrom. The Stadium now had an area which matched it. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

100%

I have been to Raith Rovers a few times ( I once sat near Gordon Brown) and the crowd is passionate. It was a really good atmosphere. 

I have also been to both Old Firm grounds and apart from the sectarianism I enjoyed the passion.

I attended Ibrox with some guys I met from an Open University summer school to see them play Arsenal in a friendly and three of them were from Southern Ireland. We had to walk back to the City centre before they felt safe to go in a Pub. 

Three days earlier I had been to see the Gunners play at Parkhead and felt the area was a dump in fact I was disgusted that a gleaming football stadium had been upgraded in such an area. I returned there eight years later to see Raith in a Cup tie when I was working in Glasgow and was impressed how the area had been transformed. In place of a Primary School which was falling down there was Chris Hoy's velodrom. The Stadium now had an area which matched it. 
    Go to watch Ayr, that is a very pleasant gaff.  The ground is decent.

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

Without trying to repeat myself it’s exactly why Gerrard will move on to bigger and better things ?
    Every rangers fan I know is fully aware of that, and totally ok with it, they expect it.
    If Gerrard only does 1-2 more seasons and repeats his recent success, it will mean back in the champions league season on season, clubs profile raised, revenues raised and consequently able to attract managers and players of a higher calibre as & when he does leave.
    It really won’t be a massive shock to Gers fans, and he will leave with their blessing, and legendary status, delivering the first SPL title in 10 years, and stopping the bheasts 10IAR.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

100%

Must be a nightmare for the Rangers Supporters club members in Dublin & Donegal then.

My ex, who is Irish catholic, has been to Ibrox with me and was made most welcome by all, and yes, even after her nationality and religion was mentioned in conversations.
    The only time she was ever treated badly because of it, during our time together, was when a Glaswegian woman whose husband wore the grey & green rag all week in Tenerife one year whilst we were on holiday, verbally abused her and called her a traitor when she said she supported rangers etc.

• Options
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

100%

The Blue Brazil are on the march, wont be long.
  • Options
    Comparisons to Wenger are hilarious. Wenger won the French league with Glenn Hoddle and Mark Hateley, bought George Weah to Europe and made a European cup final before his stint in Japan just after Lineker had retired. This bloke has played some fancy stuff down under and failed to get the national team to qualify for the last world cup. :neutral:
  • Options
    Comparisons to Wenger are hilarious. Wenger won the French league with Glenn Hoddle and Mark Hateley, bought George Weah to Europe and made a European cup final before his stint in Japan just after Lineker had retired. This bloke has played some fancy stuff down under and failed to get the national team to qualify for the last world cup. :neutral:
    Australia qualified for both World Cups under Postecoglu. He resigned shortly after guiding them to the 2018 WC which they struggled to reach, only just got past Syria
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

100%

Saw the mighty Cowden there when they dropped down the divisions. Ayr hammered us but we won somehow 1-0. I am sure Ally McLeod was the manager then. The return game we lost 6-1 on an awful windy day. My scots mates started abusing Ally and taunting him with the tartan army song, a young girl waded into them about abusing him, turned out to be his daughter.
  • Options
    First time I've seen Cowdenbeath mentioned on here for awhile.😉

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Cow and beef often mentioned on the vegan thread
  • Options

Up the shire....
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

100%

The Blue Brazil are on the march, wont be long.
    Come on Cowden!
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

100%

Saw the mighty Cowden there when they dropped down the divisions. Ayr hammered us but we won somehow 1-0. I am sure Ally McLeod was the manager then. The return game we lost 6-1 on an awful windy day. My scots mates started abusing Ally and taunting him with the tartan army song, a young girl waded into them about abusing him, turned out to be his daughter.
    A blast from the past.
  • Options

I once eat in a Tapas Bar in Cowdenbeath. 
  • Options
    Richard J said:

I once eat in a Tapas Bar in Cowdenbeath. 
    You sure it was Cowdenbeath.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

100%

Must be a nightmare for the Rangers Supporters club members in Dublin & Donegal then.

My ex, who is Irish catholic, has been to Ibrox with me and was made most welcome by all, and yes, even after her nationality and religion was mentioned in conversations.
    The only time she was ever treated badly because of it, during our time together, was when a Glaswegian woman whose husband wore the grey & green rag all week in Tenerife one year whilst we were on holiday, verbally abused her and called her a traitor when she said she supported rangers etc.

That was not my experience.

I had bonded well with these Irish guys on my OU course and we decided to go to the game along with three other English blokes. 

They were reluctant to sit amongst the home fans so I told the box office I supported Arsenal so we could be in the away end. 

The sectarian singing was far worse than Celtic and I guess I felt it more because of my friends.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    DA9 said:
    Richard J said:
    Richard J said:
    se9addick said:

100%

That was not my experience.

I had bonded well with these Irish guys on my OU course and we decided to go to the game along with three other English blokes. 

They were reluctant to sit amongst the home fans so I told the box office I supported Arsenal so we could be in the away end. 

The sectarian singing was far worse than Celtic and I guess I felt it more because of my friends.
    Not denying yours or their experience, only stating my own.
    I for one wouldn’t feel safe being an Englishman or wearing anything, be it clothing or badges etc with a Union flag emblem on them in or near porkhead 

Both clubs have sections of supporters who engage in sectarian singing, to deny otherwise would be churlish, but her experience being Irish catholic, in and around Ibrox, countless Gers fans in pubs and hotels etc was positive. Her only interaction with the grey & green is negative.
  • Options
    Scottish Fixtures out this morning

Sat 31/7

Rangers v Livingston
    Hearts v ***tic

First old firm @ Ibrox

Sat 28/8