Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cat deterrents

Comments

• I'm having the exact same problem Rodders.

Tried Jeyes fluid. Carter's pi55 technique. Nothing seems to work.
    Seriously f****** g me off now. I bloody hate cats with a passion. Do cats shit in their own gardens? Things should be kept on a bloody lead.
  • edited August 2018
    Ground black pepper sprinkled over flower beds and pots will keep them away, but you have to reapply regularly.

I shot the f*ckers with a water pistol if I catch them. They don't like it! It has worked to some extent in that now I only get my next door neighbours cats in the garden and not the whole flipping streets. If you live in Dartford and your cat comes home soaking wet, then it's probably made the mistake of wandering through my garden :-)
  • I'm having the exact same problem Rodders.

Tried Jeyes fluid. Carter's pi55 technique. Nothing seems to work.
    Seriously f****** g me off now. I bloody hate cats with a passion. Do cats shit in their own gardens? Things should be kept on a bloody lead.

• edited August 2018
    The lion shit doesn’t work I’m afraid, I ordered tonnes of it when we moved here. Had to use it as bbq brickettes and give it to the neighbours at Xmas/new year just to shift it....
  • edited August 2018
    I bought a couple of ultrasonic cat repellers made by Vitax, cost over £30 each did the trick, a bugger if you suffer from tinnutus , like me!
  • edited August 2018
    Same problem, kids are 3 and 5 and every day there is new shit on the lawn for them to run and roll through. Tried some green gel stuff, didn’t work. Tried ultrasound stuff, didn’t work. Very close to training my 3 year old to take a dump on their front lawn each morning or accidentally locking the cat in my garage. To make it worse, they are Palace fans. I thought the point of a litter tray was for them to go in that.
  • edited August 2018
    Fence/wall spikes. We've got cats and so installed them on both sides of our garden but not the back. Also paid for immediate neighbours gardens to be kitted out as a gesture of good will.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fence-Wall-Spikes-13-5M-40-5M/dp/B0046ZFBQI
  • Fumbluff said:

The lion shit doesn’t work I’m afraid, I ordered tonnes of it when we moved here. Had to use it as bbq brickettes and give it to the neighbours at Xmas/new year just to shift it....

You know that's the large feline's crap, right? Not the fake stuff that Millwall supporter sells on-line.
  • Sponsored links:

• My favourite solution is to get @Carter round to piss everywhere.
    Anyone with a feline problem, perhaps you can all book him for a group discount?
    Could be a good earner.
  • Fumbluff said:

It works for foxes.....not cats.
  • Befriend them and then slap a dollop of mustard up the ‘arris.
  • Cat deterrents were useless as most other things you can buy at the garden centre. Bought a dog and that solved the problem straight away.
  • Sponsored links:

• We have two cats, one with some health problems so he tends to go a lot.

We've recently moved and at the old house, they would never shit in our garden, our neighbour got some, but they tended to go in the woods behind the house.

Now we have even bigger woods and fields behind the garden in the new house, they have decided to just shit in our garden. Mainly in the flower beds right by the back windows and door.

Fucking stinks. Filthy animals.

Well thats makes me feel better. I thought we had the only shit at home cat!
  • If they're shitting in your garden they will generally use the same place.
    Get some wooden barbecue skewers and cut them in half and plant in the ground where they shit, so the cat cannot adopt the pooping stance. If they move on keep plantings the skewers. They will eventually move on.
    Worked for me, well not actually for me, but the neighbours's cats.

Other than that, has been previously said Lion's shit.
  • Get an English Bull Terrier......chasing cats is just about their favourite pastime.
    They will wait patiently for days on end sleeping in their bed by the French windows or under a tree on the lawn with one eye open......then suddenly......... BANG CRASH WALLOP!
    Scares the life outa me, I jump outa my skin.....let alone the hapless moggy.

We've recently moved and at the old house, they would never shit in our garden, our neighbour got some, but they tended to go in the woods behind the house.

Now we have even bigger woods and fields behind the garden in the new house, they have decided to just shit in our garden. Mainly in the flower beds right by the back windows and door.

You sound like my father in-law.
    Mother in law loves them and has two. He can't bloody stand them!

You sound like my father in-law.
    Mother in law loves them and has two. He can't bloody stand them!
    I dont mind other cats at all. Just one of ours doesn't stop wanting food - and keeps meowing non stop.

The other one is alright, just a bit of an arsehole who does what he wants.
  • Haven't tried this with cats, but have had success with squirrels and foxes coming into the garden and digging up the. Lawn. Find where they sniff around

Chilli powder........ They don't come back
  • Good tips in this thread. They piss me off big time.

As for the dog, it rather depends on the dog. Our current dog is a hunting dog, and she kills. The trouble is that she will go after the cat through the gap in the fence, and we just know the final kill will happen in the garden of the neighbour who owns the cat. My wife also frets that some cats know how to look after themselves, and go for the eyes. The previous dog, a Labbie, hated cats in the correct way, but was too slow, and a lot of collateral damage was exacted in the chase.

But I guess if your dog lives mainly in the garden itself that is very effective.
  • Can't imagine why lion shit is preferable to cat shit?