Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POLL: Were Charlton correct in playing a notably weakened side in the League Cup?

edited August 2018 in General Charlton

POLL: Were Charlton correct in playing a notably weakened side in the League Cup? 324 votes

YES
87%
AFKABartramkigeliaDaveStorryRothkoSouthendaddickLargeAddickElthamaddickRed_Pete_in_Dubailancashire ladCurb_ItHenry IrvingCharltonparklaneLenGlovercfgs9goalswentpastperryEssex_AlAddicktedletthegoodtimesrollT_C_Erandy andy 284 votes
NO
12%
1905JWADDICKSaladgolfaddickguinnessaddickshirty5valleyaddickholyjoStigThe_OrganiserBournemouth Addickseth plumBoysieeaststandmikeken from bexleyJobbersRedhenryjohnny73LeaburnForEnglandBedsaddick 41 votes

Comments

• Options
    It's not as if we haven't done it before (Powell made 10 changes one year I remember, home to Reading)...just that this time our parlous state of fit bodies means even more kids are getting a run out.
  • Options
    YES
    In our situation yes 100%. Normally no, we should be trying to win that prize of a trip away to Huddersfield in the second round.
  • Options
    NO
    No point having these competitions if nobody is taking it seriously.
  • Options
    NO
    No, we will not get promoted this season so we may as well have played a strong side to try to get a good home draw against a top side.
  • Options

No point having these competitions if nobody is taking it seriously.

Agree 100%! Totally meaningless 'competition'. Typifies all that is wrong with the organisation of football in this country.

• Options
    YES
    Yes given the circumstances with our small and injury depleted squad. However in some games i think you play your best or very close to your best side. Palace away a few years back we played a pretty dire side so we could be fresh for Cardiff and Blackburn i think. We lost all three... its Palace, big mistake for Luzon imo.
  • Options
    YES
    Personally I would of told them to go fuck themselves. What a waste of time!
  • Options
    We ain’t gonna win it. Final will be between Man City and Spurs. Why risk any of the 11 fit senior players that we have left
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    YES
    Yes this season, to protect our wafer-thin squad from injury or fixture congestion if we were to progress.
    If the sale does not go through soon, I fear we could be in a relegation battle at the end of the season, so concentrating our meagre resources on league matches is the sensible, if not very sporting, choice.

Edit: Furthermore, if EFL question it, I hope their email inbox overflows with questions from fans as to why they are so impotent to prevent clubs like Charlton being put in such a position by incompetent owners like Duchatelet.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2018
    NO
    paper thin sqaud but what sort of experience/example is that giving players a pat on the back for losing 3-0 if arsenal ( they are probably 5/6th best team in prem as we are in league 1 ) done it fans would be going ballistic, as far as i am aware jacko is assistant, or are they lining up for the exit of our current manager?
  • Options
    YES
    100% yes.
    Accrington is a far more important game and we could not afford any more injuries.
  • Options
    YES
    TEL said:

Paper thin squad and our horrendous list of injuries means it was the correct decision.

My sentiments exactly
  • Options
    YES
    Who else could we have played? Send out the first team and someone gets injured and everyone questions the decision
  • Options
    YES
    Yes if nothing else further highlights how bare Roland has left us.

Let down by the football league
  • Options
    YES
    Last night wasnt the time or place to risk anyone fit. Not too bothered that we are out. Would rather see us have a go at the FA Cup than the League Cup personally. To me it means a lot more and by then hopefully some of our injuries will have healed and we'll actually be able to give it a proper go.
  • Options
    YES
    Never going to win it anyway, win or lose gets the youth a bit of experience which might help if we do have to end up relying on them.
  • Options
    NO
    Should have been weakened but that was just a piss take for any poor soul that bothered to travel...
  • Options
    YES
    Fumbluff said:

Should have been weakened but that was just a piss take for any poor soul that bothered to travel...

As if the club gives a shit about its fans!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    YES
    Yes, without a doubt. We are shit in the Cup anyway but we need all our players fit if we are to stand even a slim chance of getting out of this poxy Division.
  • Options
    YES
    A minimum of survival in league 1 is paramount as the goal for the season.

We simply do not have the strength in depth to risk further injuries to our glass players or needless suspensions and cards in a cup competition that is meaningless for a club of our ability (or lack thereof).

• Options
    edited August 2018
    YES
    YES, we were never going to win it and with such a small squad it would be stupid to risk injuries
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    YES
    Not happy that we had to do it, but yes the right decision as our first team is so stretched now
  • Options
    YES
    A pointless competition that’s lost the interest of just about everybody I know and until they change it so that every team that enters it has to start in round one it’s no longer worth the effort imo. If the organisers only want the likes of Man Utd, City, Chelsea, arsenal etc to be accommodated then why should everybody else bother with it
  • Options
    YES
    I don't think there was really much choice. A number of the players in the first team aren't fully fit, we've already picked up injuries in the first two games, and we need back-ups to get some match fitness in in case of injuries in the future. I think we'll be casting our eyes over the wrong end of the L1 table this season so anything we can do to reduce injuries and numbers of matches played is the right decision.
  • Options
    NO
    Nope. Not to the extent we did. That's what the Checkatrade Cup or whatever it's called is for.
  • Options
    YES
    With the limited squad we have, for a League Cup game, yes.
    FA Cup is a different matter though
  • Options
    YES
    Bowyer and Jacko had no other option as this is the situation that has been forced on them by the owner who the EFL seem to be happy with
  • Options
    YES
    If we had played well with a full strength side, lost on penalties and Bauer does his hamstring and out for a month it would have been a disaster.

Should mean we won’t get in any trouble playing the youth for all the checkatrade games as well