Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

POLL: Were Charlton correct in playing a notably weakened side in the League Cup?

Comments

• Options
    YES

Nope. Not to the extent we did. That's what the Checkatrade Cup or whatever it's called is for.

wouldn't we get a fine for not fielding a minimum number of players from our previous league game?
  • Options
    YES
    Yes as we simply don't have the squad depth to cope while ensuring we don't get relegated to League Two has to be our only objective.

Once Roland goes then we can hopefully have a normal squad size which then allows us to try and reach beyond the 1st round of any cup.

I'm surprised this even needs a poll to be honest as it's quite straight forward to me.
  • Options
    YES
    Play a stronger team in a nonsense game and risk more injuries? How is that a serious option?
  • Options
    YES
    As the squad is so thin risking another injury was not worth it. But it is sad indictment of the club that it cannot field a senior team.
  • Options
    NO
    Not that bloody weak.
  • Options
    YES
    Absolutely. What other choice was there?
  • Options
    YES
    Seeing a very inexperienced side embarrassed by a lower league side is better than seeing our first team suffer the same.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    YES
    Après Roland, when whoever is the owner has funded a squad capable of competing after a couple of injuries, I hope we always put out a competitive side. Maintenant, avec Roland, Bowyer did the best he could. Imagine the torrent of abuse he be receiving, here and probably elsewhere, if he'd put out a full-strength side and ended up with, say, Taylor and Bauer crocked.

Edited for spelling and grammar.
  • Options
    YES
    The squad is so thin and lacking in quality - the last thing we needed was more injuries. Plus should we have progressed and got a glamour tie at home later in the competition it would mean more money in Rolys pocket.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    YES
    Hate to see us throw games, but we have no choice. We need the first team to fight off relegation. However, when Curbishley did it in the Premier days, I despised him for it !
  • Options
    YES
    Where's the "they didn't have much choice option"
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Should have been weakened but that was just a piss take for any poor soul that bothered to travel...

You mean some people actually travelled to watch this ?

• Options

If we had played well with a full strength side, lost on penalties and Bauer does his hamstring and out for a month it would have been a disaster.

Should mean we won’t get in any trouble playing the youth for all the checkatrade games as well

Oh no, an even MORE meaningless competition.
  • Options
    A third choice in the poll might have been Did they overdo it a bit?
  • Options
    YES
    Sorry Bow, but always been against this practice, so gotta stand by my convictions
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    NO

No.

Its a league cup game which brings in much needed revenue & a chance to play a big side thst we won't be doing for years.

My alternative would have been to have not turned up at all & tell the EFL to shove it......but then I'm like that.
  • Options
    YES
    Personally can’t believe anyone would say it was not the correct decision. People wouldn’t have had this conversation had the young lads won last night.

There is absolutely no point whatsoever playing a game with the first team players that doesn’t affect anything of our season. We have a small squad, what would be the point of them travelling up to play last night, potentially have players picking up injuries, players being tired when they have got a long trip up to Accrington Stanley on Saturday.

Bowyer used the game to get players some minutes like Dijksteel and Ajose, and to see which young players handled the match best, giving a decent indication of how they could fare in a game that matters.

You never want to lose any game, of course not, and the young players wanted to win, you could see that from their reactions last night to conceding, but I would rather them have this lesson now, a lesson that they need to be at a specific standard to make it as a professional than putting them in a league game in front of many more people with more pressure and failing. That would ruin their confidence more than last night. I am sure Bowyer, Jackson and Euell would make sure this is a learning curve and make things into a positive.

We are out of the cup, so be it, we wouldn’t have progressed anywhere and we last time we had a premier league team in the EFL cup it was a huge distraction and we got smacked which eventually lead to our relegation season.

Let’s keep our small squad fit for the games that is going to matter and that starts with Accrington Stanley on Saturday afternoon.
  • Options
    YES
    Pedro45 said:

It's not as if we haven't done it before (Powell made 10 changes one year I remember, home to Reading)...just that this time our parlous state of fit bodies means even more kids are getting a run out.

addick05 said:

No point having these competitions if nobody is taking it seriously.

Agree 100%! Totally meaningless 'competition'. Typifies all that is wrong with the organisation of football in this country.

Then vote in the poll @Pedro45 snd @addick05
  • Options
    YES
    Yes.

The league is a priority and trophies we're never going to stand in a chance in can fall by the wayside. I presume it's some sort of requirement to enter the competitions? Not entering would have looked even worse imo, but I'd have been tempted if that were possible.

It's all about the league and hopefully at the very least treading water until viable new ownership arrives.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    YES
    Not even a debate imo, yes i did originally think it might be checkatrade trophy. However with our squad we cant really afford for extra games, more than happy we played youngsters and bit part players.
  • Options
    YES
    This feels like one of the most undercooked squads ever to go in to a season. In this instance it is perfectly justifiable. With a proper squad, then it isn't.
  • Options
    YES
    Given our current squad and the risk of further injury definitely yes from me.
  • Options
    NO
    Absolutely no. We should be using the League Cup as a chance to getting to Wembley, not ripping people off playing a weakened side. We are a professional club, we should be professional in every competition we play in, anything less is unacceptable. It's nothing but a fucking disgrace that our squad is so weak that we can't take this competition seriously. There is no way that it can be right for 'Charlton' to con the fans like this.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    NO

Absolutely. What other choice was there?

Err, perhaps try running the club as a football club and actually competing rather than being a tosspot's plaything. No excuses for uncompetitive football.
  • Options
    Yes. We are down to the barest of bare bones.
  • Options
    NO
    No.
    Tuesday night was no good for the club or the kids.
    Sarr should have played. A couple of more also. Maybe Steer and Grant.
    Would have made a competetive side against MK Dons, and without risking too much before Saturday.

• Options
    YES
    Yes. We need every help we can get to limp through to the end of the season and survive.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    YES
    The competition needs scrapping, or some kind of radical overhaul merging it with the checkatrade. Maybe remove the Premier League teams, or at least those that qualified for Europe the previous season and have all remaining teams enter at round 1. You need some kind of genuine carrot at the end like a European place or even a promotion spot or something (not quite sure how that would work) because at the moment there is very little financial incentive to stay in the competition, and no real hope of winning it for most teams, and if you do get a game against a big team, it'll be their U23s.

Is there anyone left who actually cares about the league cup?