Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

If you could own any car what would it be?

Comments

• Thankfully, the one sitting on my driveway!

Aston Martin DB9.

I think it's the best looking car ever made and I absolutely love it!

Hopefully one day I'll own one in my name though!
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Rothko said:

JohnBoyUK said:

sam3110 said:

Can never pick one.

I'll take a 30's/40's American car, maybe a Pontiac Torpedo

I'll take a Ferrari 330 P4

I'll take a Nissan GT-R

I'll take a Ferrari LaFerrari

I'll take a Tesla Model X

That should cover all bases

With you on the GT-R and Model X. Stunning cars.

I'd quite like my neighbours Classic E type Jag too. He has spent years refurbing it. I dread to think how much that car is worth now.

As it happens, anyone want to hazard a guess at how much insurance my friend pays for her Model X outside her house on her driveway in Lee Green? She's early 30s and got a clean licence.
    Isn't insurance on Tesla's off the chart? Insurance companies have weird policies towards all electrics
    Yep. The insurance company insisted that 3 CCTV cameras were installed all with face recognition and only then would they insure her for £14,000 pa. Ouch!
    That's incredible, that must do away with any running costs savings, it's a cool car but couldn't you buy and run some really nice motors for that?
    Exactly. I'm assuming its down to the fact she lives in Lee Green just off the main Lee High Road and it sits on a driveway rather than in a garage.
  • What car you got @DaveMehmet ?

This mate.

imageimage
    I was offered exactly that car, in red and in pristine condition, in 1975 for £1000, which at a stretch I could afford. So I rang my insurance broker and because of my age the best quote he could get was over £1000 per annum. I was earning £25 a week at the time so I stuck with my Hillman Imp.
  • edited August 2018
  • Bentley S3 for me.
  • TEL said:

Bentley S3 for me.

Back in 1972, I was looking to change my car. I was tempted by a second-hand S3 Continental which was just a tad more than a new 1.6XL Capri! The insurance quotes made the choice for me.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

Rothko said:

JohnBoyUK said:

sam3110 said:

Can never pick one.

I'll take a 30's/40's American car, maybe a Pontiac Torpedo

I'll take a Ferrari 330 P4

I'll take a Nissan GT-R

I'll take a Ferrari LaFerrari

I'll take a Tesla Model X

That should cover all bases

With you on the GT-R and Model X. Stunning cars.

I'd quite like my neighbours Classic E type Jag too. He has spent years refurbing it. I dread to think how much that car is worth now.

As it happens, anyone want to hazard a guess at how much insurance my friend pays for her Model X outside her house on her driveway in Lee Green? She's early 30s and got a clean licence.
    Isn't insurance on Tesla's off the chart? Insurance companies have weird policies towards all electrics
    Yep. The insurance company insisted that 3 CCTV cameras were installed all with face recognition and only then would they insure her for £14,000 pa. Ouch!

Fourteen grand for a years insurance! That’s more than the worth of my last three cars combined.
  • cafc-west said:

BMW i8. the new convertible version. Fast, hybrid and looks amazing.

Drove one of these around Lydden Hill Race Track, so much better than a Ferrari or Lambo to drive
  • Once upon a time, I would have been impressed by custom vans and pick-ups - there were a couple of absolutely beautiful Morris Minor vans/pickups knocking about Dublin a mere 30 years ago (the paintwork was superb).

I like to think I'm idiosyncratic in my tastes, but they're probably just shite.

Have always loved the Citroen Traction Avant and DS (and even the 2CV, but then I'm a fan of the original versions of both the Mini and Beetle as well).

If I had the money, or even the ability, though, I'd probably look more at commercials (Ford Transit, VW Transporter, BMCs, etc.).
  • Sponsored links:

• A brand new ford tippex
  • buckshee said:

A brand new ford tippex

Here you go:

• buckshee said:

A brand new ford tippex

Cornflakes, cornflakes, cornflakes....
  • Once upon a time, I would have been impressed by custom vans and pick-ups - there were a couple of absolutely beautiful Morris Minor vans/pickups knocking about Dublin a mere 30 years ago (the paintwork was superb).

I like to think I'm idiosyncratic in my tastes, but they're probably just shite.

Have always loved the Citroen Traction Avant and DS (and even the 2CV, but then I'm a fan of the original versions of both the Mini and Beetle as well).

If I had the money, or even the ability, though, I'd probably look more at commercials (Ford Transit, VW Transporter, BMCs, etc.).

I might have the very thing for you - start saving. Again from my local 4X4 dealer. https://saxton4x4.co.uk/used/4x4/mercedes-benz/sprinter/sprinter-3.0-319-cdi-monaco-vip-black-for-sale-lf17odk/

The interior is splendid. Ninety grand plus VAT mind!
  • Anyone fancy one of these?

• Anyone fancy one of these?

Not for me. Never been a fan of Morgans.
  • edited August 2018

One of these used to be parked on my way home from school late 70's, thought it was the nuts at the time.

One of these used to be parked on my way home from school late 70's, thought it was the nuts at the time.

Gilbern Genie. Fibreglass with Ford V6.

I think it’s an Invader.
  • I love this thread

I'm going to digress slightly, the fastest car I've ever driven on the road to memory was an Audi RS3 and it went round corners like it was superglued to the road. I've had a blast in a supercharged range rover sport as well. Put that into sport mode and jam your foot down and it feels like your body is being catapulted whilst your insides are left 100 yards behind. Insane thing to drive (in a straight line)

I also was allowed to have a go in one of my dream cars, the WRX twin turbo with launch control. That gave me similar feelings to the range rover but it felt so much more fun to drive. I always wanted an RS turbo when I was in my boy racer stage but the insurance was insane, I had a XR3i scab and it was a peach, always on the look put for an unmolested 205 1.9GTi however much I think I'll be looking for a long time and if I found one I think I'd just buy it and deal with the fall out from my wife later! I only ever drove the 1.6 GTi and loved it, thought Renault 5 GTs were shite, the Saxo GTRs were ok but overrated and overpriced.

Maybe I'll start a boy racer thread, that will get the sap rising!
  • Sponsored links:

I think it’s an Invader.
    Yes, it is a Mk3. (Still mainly a Cortina underneath though!)
  • I would like my old Vauxhall Cavalier 2 ltr sports hatch. great looking car.
  • RobRob
    edited August 2018
    What I would like is a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO. One sold for $38 million
  • Rob said:

This is what I have. Austin Healey 1966. 49,000 genuine miles with all the history. Bought it 14 years ago from the original owner.

Biggest regret was selling my 1961 E Type coupe. I got 10k for it in 2004. What a mug!!

Nice, they’ve shot up in value a lot over the last few years (not that you should buy something like this as an investment)
  • IdleHans said:

A Reliant Scimitar SE5. Had a 1974 model way past it's best. Heavy clutch, heavy steering, appalling interior, dodgy electrics, cracked gel coat, agricultural Essex 3.0 engine, leaked like a sieve in the wet...
    But one of the prettiest body shapes ever designed, apparently inspired the Volvo P1800E and the Lancia Beta HPE, both beautiful looking cars too.

If those quality issues could be sorted out, I'd have one like a shot.

Had a 1600E briefly too, before the engine died. Lovely thing if only for the wooden dash brimming with instruments. BMP 589 H, RIP.

I think the Scimitar GTE was one of the nicest driving cars ever, along with the Rover 2000 TC of the same era.
  • Stuart, Bugatti Atlantic? Merc SSK? Beautiful cars.

Very desirable, both!

• Rob said:

This is what I have. Austin Healey 1966. 49,000 genuine miles with all the history. Bought it 14 years ago from the original owner.

Biggest regret was selling my 1961 E Type coupe. I got 10k for it in 2004. What a mug!!

I had a pootle around Havana in one of these last year, very nice...

I think it’s an Invader.
    Sure it was an Invader, was part of the appeal, thought it was far better name than a Marina or a Cortina
  • cafcfan said:

Not quite. But my local 4x4 dealer has this. https://saxton4x4.co.uk/used/4x4/land-rover/defender-90/defender-90-2.2-td-xs-station-wagon-twisted-black-for-sale-au13twj/

Practicality aside and money no object what would your dream car be?

It would have to be a Lancia for me - would probably fall to bits but they're the cars I loved as a kid.

Lancia Delta Integrale would probably be my choice.

Ha! I had a Lancia 40 years ago. A Beta Coupe. I've since owned much better, (well very much quicker and more expensive anyway) vehicles but still consider that to have been the most fun. Steering was horrendously heavy though. A friend had a standard Fulvia Coupe which was beautiful. So, for me I think it would be a toss-up between a Lancia Fulvia Zagato and a Brooklands 280 Capri plus somewhere sensible to keep it. Apologies for the photo it's a scan of an old print from a dodgy camera.
    A friend of mine owned a Lancia Montecarlo - lovely car but as you can imagine destroyed by rust.
    I had a 16v Integrale back in the late 90's - mad car and I loved it, but not practical for new parents. Got an Alfa Stelvio now. Same performance, but in SUV form - ticks the practical for parents box.