Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What is the best gadget you own and why?

Comments

• Options
    When I finally get round to buying them it will be a set of extendable shears.

Have an absolute w***er of a hedge outside my house that is permanently sporting a Mohican as my short troll arms are just too short when perched on a ladder either side. Can almost hear the hedge laughing at me as I strain with every sinew to lean over but just not get there.

Cant wait for the day I get those bad boys. Gonna blast Amarillo out in my front garden and start giving it ‘who the f*** is laughing now’
    Very good Hedge trimmers are quite cheap now. Ditch the shears.

Screwfix have this and its a bargain, ive used it for 2 yrs on a hedge and its easy. 
    https://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-mhtp550p-50cm-550w-220-240v-corded-electric-pole-hedge-trimmer/6928r#product_additional_details_container
  • Options
    Many moons ago as a Fathers Day present from my then young children they got me a toy Thunderbirds Tracy Island.  I was in my late 30's at the time but the joy and hours of fun. Sadly lost in many a house move...
  • Options
    Many moons ago as a Fathers Day present from my then young children they got me a toy Thunderbirds Tracy Island.  I was in my late 30's at the time but the joy and hours of fun. Sadly lost in many a house move...
    I had a whole star wars collection that got binned when moving house. My mum was a bit of a nob and chucked it all despite my tears. She could have got 100s 
  • Options
    These are my earbuds

Anker SoundBuds Slim+ Wireless Headphones, Bluetooth 5 Lightweight Stereo Earbuds with Customizable Accessories, 10 Hour Playtime, Sports Headset with Metallic Housing & Built In Mic (Black) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0756T7R5T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_XSN2DbP8HYJTW

Genuinely love them.

My Garmin or my phone are my best gadget though.
  • Options
    The remote control for the tele.
  • Options
    Don't wait to hijack the thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a decent and reliable Bluetooth transmitter? I've got Sony wireless headphones which I want to connect to my LG TV, so need a Bluetooth transmitter. Should be simple but bought a basic one off Amazon which only worked on and off and now seems to have died completely...
  • Options
    One to add to the list.

my 2TB external Samsung SSD.  Only had it a couple of weels but its a thing of beauty.  I remember the days of the 5" discs then the first HDDs that came out for the Commodore Amiga and they were the size of a brick for about 200MB.  This is the same size as a credit card but a little bit thicker.  God I love technology.

Fujifilm F900EXR camera. Petite design yet packs in 20x zoom. The 16mp EXR sensor allows pairs of pixels to combine for better image quality in low light scenes. This remains a unique feature for a compact camera.
    Just ordered myself a Sony RX100 VII.  I usually shoot weddings with a pair of Nikon D850s (45.7mp uber bloody good cameras) with a D750 for back up but I wanted something a lot smaller to take on holiday with us as we're doing a lot of trips next year and I didn't want to me lugging around my roller bag of photography kit.  20mp, 1 inch sensor, 24-200mm 35mm equivalent, should cover just above everything I need with that.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    One to add to the list.

my 2TB external Samsung SSD.  Only had it a couple of weels but its a thing of beauty.  I remember the days of the 5" discs then the first HDDs that came out for the Commodore Amiga and they were the size of a brick for about 200MB.  This is the same size as a credit card but a little bit thicker.  God I love technology.

Fujifilm F900EXR camera. Petite design yet packs in 20x zoom. The 16mp EXR sensor allows pairs of pixels to combine for better image quality in low light scenes. This remains a unique feature for a compact camera.
    Just ordered myself a Sony RX100 VII.  I usually shoot weddings with a pair of Nikon D850s (45.7mp uber bloody good cameras) with a D750 for back up but I wanted something a lot smaller to take on holiday with us as we're doing a lot of trips next year and I didn't want to me lugging around my roller bag of photography kit.  20mp, 1 inch sensor, 24-200mm 35mm equivalent, should cover just above everything I need with that.
    I see that has a Zeiss lens, I hope it doesn't mean you're giving money to Roly :-)

Seriously though It' always good to have have something lighter for travelling. I haven't found a single camera though, so I carry two compacts when the DSLR has to stay at home.  A Lumix (Leica lens) for macro shots and a cheaper Nikon 9900 for stuff where I need to zoom in. 
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:
    One to add to the list.

Nice one, I have just replaced the hard drive in a Desk Top PC I have with a Sumsung 2TB SSD and the difference is amazing. The PC is booted and ready to use before I have straightened up from pushing the on button.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    These are my earbuds

Anker SoundBuds Slim+ Wireless Headphones, Bluetooth 5 Lightweight Stereo Earbuds with Customizable Accessories, 10 Hour Playtime, Sports Headset with Metallic Housing & Built In Mic (Black) https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0756T7R5T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_XSN2DbP8HYJTW

Genuinely love them.

Got the same pair they're great, I prefer them being connected together it makes them harder to lose, decent sounds volume and quality for the price, everything Anker make that I've used is great
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Our Shark lift away vacuum cleaner, no ridiculously priced bags and filters. Love it   :)
  • Options
    Anyone got a soup maker?  Any good, and if so what brand etc?
  • Options
    T_C_E said:
    Our Shark lift away vacuum cleaner, no ridiculously priced bags and filters. Love it   :)
    This is sad, but we also have a lift away and I have to agree. Did you go wired or battery?
  • Options
    Can I ask why you need a soup maker? Soup is ridiculously easy already?!
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    These are my earbuds

Genuinely love them.

Got the same pair they're great, I prefer them being connected together it makes them harder to lose, decent sounds volume and quality for the price, everything Anker make that I've used is great
    Upgraded to these: 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundcore-Headphones-Bluetooth-Canceling-Sweatproof/dp/B07WF7JWTW

Bloody decent, but I paid £36.99 price jumps all over the place. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Can I ask why you need a soup maker? Soup is ridiculously easy already?!
    Time issues rather than difficulty.

Idea would be chuck it all in quickly, let it cook and blend while I'm working, all ready to go.

Wife works out in the community too so she can nip in quickly and grab some if I've chucked the ingredients in as she doesn't get much of a lunch break, or she can take some in a thermos.
  • Options
    My Virgin Pure water machine, best thing we bought when we did our kitchen up.
  • Options
    tin opener .. it's on standby in case/for when I need to break into my store of emergency provisions if/when Covid takes over the world completely
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    T_C_E said:
    This is sad, but we also have a lift away and I have to agree. Did you go wired or battery?
    Wired.
  • Options
    Is an electric book reader worth it?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Depends how much you read and whether your loath to give up that ability to actually turn a page... let alone the new book smell

I got one as saved me from lugging a hardback book in my back on my daily commute into London

The space I've saved too at home with no physical books or DVDs etc. what with streaming is useful too
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    My wife swears by hers but I still prefer to read from a proper book. I just like the feel and sometimes smell of holding a book. They do take up less room though.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    My wife swears by hers but I still prefer to read from a proper book. I just like the feel and sometimes smell of holding a book. They do take up less room though.
    She been reading this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Little-Book-Foreign-Swear-Words-ebook/dp/B0888T63VJ/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Swear+words&qid=1601995720&s=digital-text&sr=1-1
  • Options
    Do slippers count?
  • Options
    Having Sonos all around the house, including garden and cabin.
  • Options
     How difficult is that to do mate and what sort of outlay?
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    Depends how much you read and whether your loath to give up that ability to actually turn a page... let alone the new book smell

I got one as saved me from lugging a hardback book in my back on my daily commute into London

The space I've saved too at home with no physical books or DVDs etc. what with streaming is useful too
    Spot on, not as good as a book but much easier to carry (good for commutes, holidays, business trips etc) and saves the space on a bookshelf.

I'd also add it's good for when you can't decide what you fancy reading next as you can finish one book and have several ready to go rather than just one (if on a commute etc), and skip to another one if the first isn't grabbing your attention after a while.
  • Options
     How difficult is that to do mate and what sort of outlay?
    We've got Sonos through the house, and it's super easy in terms of set up, just get the app on the phone and you set them up that way. 

Outlay, they aren't cheap, we've got a mix of Sonos One's (£199) and the speakers they do with Ikea which range from £89. The sound quality, range of music and radio services is great, and they look good too
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    These are my earbuds

Genuinely love them.

Upgraded to these: 
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Soundcore-Headphones-Bluetooth-Canceling-Sweatproof/dp/B07WF7JWTW

Bloody decent, but I paid £36.99 price jumps all over the place. 
    I bit the bullet and got the airpods pro, there is no way in hell that they should cost that much, but they are excellent (they should be for the bloody price)
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    seth plum said:
    I have not read a book since lockdown but used to easily to at least a book a week on my commute to work.
    A kindle is a wonderful thing for reading on a commute, read with one hand whilst standing up and holding on with the other.

Plus tend to download a few at a time so finish book mid journey, can just start another one.

Apart from a few authors pretty much just read free books