Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Squad (v Republic of Ireland/Belgium/Iceland from p29)

Comments

• Options
    I hope Pope plays.
  • Options
    29 man squad for 3 games seems a bit excessive.

Especially when about 15 of them can play full back.
  • Options
    Only 6 midfielders
  • Options
    Only 6 midfielders
    Yes for some reason Grealish is listed amongst the strikers. Maybe that is why Southgate is not picking him. 
  • Options
    Only 6 midfielders
    Dier and Grealish too I guess.
  • Options
    Isn’t Reece James suspended for the two Europa league games ? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    in the squad just for the Ireland game and to be in the squad environment

Southgate on Reece James...

"We were very, very impressed with the way he trained every day and how he took his opportunity as a sub - and then with his performance against Denmark where he was arguably our best player.

"We wanted to keep him with us. He needs to learn from what happened at the end of that Denmark game which is not acceptable and has cost him the opportunity to play in some of the qualifiers for us.

"But we were very, very impressed with his club form and to be able to involve him in the game against Ireland is something we wanted to do," he added.

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

"We were very, very impressed with the way he trained every day and how he took his opportunity as a sub - and then with his performance against Denmark where he was arguably our best player.

"We wanted to keep him with us. He needs to learn from what happened at the end of that Denmark game which is not acceptable and has cost him the opportunity to play in some of the qualifiers for us.

"But we were very, very impressed with his club form and to be able to involve him in the game against Ireland is something we wanted to do," he added.

More absolute rubbish from Southgate. 
  • Options
    Tbf everyone loves a full back wing back these days!

surprised no barnes. Would have been nice to see Bellingham in there just to train with the team. 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Might be controversial, i would pick RJ right now. TAA clearly suits and plays well for Liverpool, but whenever i see him in an England shirt he fails to deliver. I do rate him, just i dont think he should be an auto pick because he plays for liverpool. 

RJ showed in the last game how good going forward at the right times and making good crosses, ironically what TAA does perfect for Liverpool. I dont think RJ is any worse off at defending. See how it plays out and there is so much competition which Walker would win if he wasn't playing RCB. 

still not a fan of overloading the squad with Right backs, against Belgium when we won i didn't think it was tactics or personel we were just fortunate.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MrOneLung said:

Might be controversial, i would pick RJ right now. TAA clearly suits and plays well for Liverpool, but whenever i see him in an England shirt he fails to deliver. I do rate him, just i dont think he should be an auto pick because he plays for liverpool. 

RJ showed in the last game how good going forward at the right times and making good crosses, ironically what TAA does perfect for Liverpool. I dont think RJ is any worse off at defending. See how it plays out and there is so much competition which Walker would win if he wasn't playing RCB. 

still not a fan of overloading the squad with Right backs, against Belgium when we won i didn't think it was tactics or personel we were just fortunate.  
    I’d also pick James ahead of TAA. James and Chilwell are probably the best full / wing backs around at the moment as well. 
  • Options
    TAA is frustrating, one of the best full backs in the world at club level but always looks really poor for England.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Southgate really should be looking to play a 433 system like Klopp. 

TAA and Chilwell both work 
    Henderson works
    Kane is arguably the best link up striker in the world.
    We have a number of quality and dynamic wide players.

We might not be as defensively sound, and definitely miss a Van Dijk figure, but with that system we’d do alright and our games certainly wouldn’t be boring. 

It’s the direction I thought we were going after we beat Spain 3-2 away, but sadly Southgate has only gone backwards since that point. Shame.
    Yep i agree, as you say play to our strengths rather than paper over the cracks.

It just doesn't seem like we learn much from game to game, with England its always a completely different team or set up. Players being played out of position or with people too similar. I know easy for us to criticise, but as always we have some of the best front players in the world and on our day we can compete with the best of them.
  • Options
    Southgate been a lot more vocal about players over the last couple of days, including Grealish. Is it a sign of pressure or that he’s trying to change his approach? Usually he’s very conservative, especially about individuals.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

Henderson works

We might not be as defensively sound, and definitely miss a Van Dijk figure, but with that system we’d do alright and our games certainly wouldn’t be boring. 

It’s the direction I thought we were going after we beat Spain 3-2 away, but sadly Southgate has only gone backwards since that point. Shame.
    He has definitely tried to play a system due to the fact we have had no central defenders playing in form. Maguire and Gomez started the season awfully and Coady and Mings are new to international football. It wouldn’t surprise me over the next few games if he begins to play more attacking formations once he can trust his defence. In the long run it may prove to be shrewd tactics.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Laddick01 said:

Henderson works

Agree with this especially as all our top clubs sides play a 433. Stick to what they know.

I know there's an argument for the 352 because we're not great at centre back and we have quality wing backs, but 433 is the way forward for me.

The problem is we're strong down the right with James, Walker, Trippier and TAA and Southgate seems to want to try and shoehorn at least 2 of them in.

I'd go with:

Pope

TAA  Gomez  Coady  Chilwell

Henderson
        Foden
                     Grealish

Sancho                Sterling
                  Kane
  • Options
    Only doubt would be whether Coady works in a pairing as he's played in a back 3 for years. But he surely can't be doing any worse than Maguire.
  • Options
    One problem solved for Southgate. TAA ruled out with injury.

Injuries are piling up and more and more PL managers are now bemoaning the fact that 3 subs were voted for instead of 5, like every other major league voted for. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Eric Dier starting to play well for Spurs, now he's back at CB. Probably playing better than Gomez at the moment, while Coady isn't used to playing in a back 4
  • Options
    Eric Dier starting to play well for Spurs, now he's back at CB. Probably playing better than Gomez at the moment, while Coady isn't used to playing in a back 4
    No, no, no!   Dier at International football is NOT a centre half.   

Coady, Gomez, MacGuire.   Have MacGuire and Gomez attack the ball and play to the right and left and have Coady in the middle.   That's as good as it'll get.
  • Options
    Seeing some of the games tonight and the lineups put out, what is the actual point in countries being forced to play meaningless friendlies during Covid?

Italy playing Estonia. Portugal playing Andorra.

Really essential match ups there.
  • Options
    Nathan Ake limps off after 5 minutes
  • Options
    Even in a normal season i don't ever remember countries being forced to play 3 games in an international break. So to make countries play 3 times in an already reduced length season when there's a pandemic seems ridiculous to me.

More and more players will get injured as the winter months kick in.
  • Options
    Its because the Euro 2020 Play-Offs are happening alongside the Nations League - Initially these friendlies wouldnt be in place as the Play-Offs were due in March when England would have just played two friendlies

Instead they've decided to squeeze them in alongside the Nations League dates rather than put them in March 2021 which would have made more sense

UEFA are effectively saying that if the likes of Northern Ireland and Scotland have to play three games this International break (PO Final | 2x NL games) then its only fair that everyone plays three games
  • Options
    France losing 2-0 at home to Finland, so it ain’t all bad.
  • Options
    Jessie J said it best. It’s all about the money, money, money...
  • Options
    Nathan Ake limps off after 5 minutes
    Bollock Ake?