Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

England Squad (v Republic of Ireland/Belgium/Iceland from p29)

Comments

• Options
    Both Declan Rice and Jack Grealish scoring will go down really well with the Irish.
  • Options
    Both Declan Rice and Jack Grealish scoring will go down really well with the Irish.
    In this case I have little sympathy with the Irish, as both players have tenuous links with Ireland anyway - I've never agreed with allowing people to play for a country due to their grandparents, as that's too distant

There's something grubby about the way countries try to hoover up players in their teens, Wales have done a lot of that in recent years
  • Options
    In this case I have little sympathy with the Irish, as both players have tenuous links with Ireland anyway - I've never agreed with allowing people to play for a country due to their grandparents, as that's too distant

There's something grubby about the way countries try to hoover up players in their teens, Wales have done a lot of that in recent years
    I can’t stand that either. Rooney was a classic example when Ireland tried picking him when he was 15. England do exactly the same thing so we aren’t blameless in this. 

• Options

True but in Rice's case he'd played for the Ireland national team!

If you go all through your youth career and even making the national team as an Irishman, it's a bit much to then go 'actually i've changed my mind, decided i'm English after all'
  • Options

If you go all through your youth career and even making the national team as an Irishman, it's a bit much to then go 'actually i've changed my mind, decided i'm English after all'
    Ireland took advantage of the rules, they can hardly object when England do the same thing back

• Options

It was the same thing with Zaha, but I do not think it is as problematic when they switch to a nation who are significantly worse than the one they left. 
  • Options

I can’t stand that either. Rooney was a classic example when Ireland tried picking him when he was 15. England do exactly the same thing so we aren’t blameless in this. 

England have definitely taken advantage of these rules in other sports, less so in football as we've rarely needed to. I can't think of any foreign players who've been picked because they had an English grandmother for example!
  • Options

England have definitely taken advantage of these rules in other sports, less so in football as we've rarely needed to. I can't think of any foreign players who've been picked because they had an English grandmother for example!
    What about players who get picked just because they've lived here?

Sterling for example. Born in Jamaica, parents are Jamaican. Grandparents Jamaican.
  • Options

Sterling for example. Born in Jamaica, parents are Jamaican. Grandparents Jamaican.
    Moved to London aged 5. On the basis of residency, education and his football development it's perfectly reasonable that he can play for England as well as Jamaica.

If he had arrived in this country aged 16 like a Cesc Fabregas, that would have been totally different. 

• Options

Moved to London aged 5. On the basis of residency, education and his football development it's perfectly reasonable that he can play for England as well as Jamaica.

If he had arrived in this country aged 16 like a Cesc Fabregas, that would have been totally different. 

John Barnes was 17 when he arrived.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

John Barnes was 17 when he arrived.
    Barnes' eligibility can be questioned, but that was 37 years ago!
  • Options
    Not gonna put all 13 tweets here, but this is the first tweet in a 13 tweet thread regarding the Iceland game, still no update but The FA are trying to get it played at Wembley still, rather than Germany 

• Options
    Why would we play Iceland in Germany?

• Options

People from Iceland can’t travel here?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

People from Iceland can’t travel here?
    No one whose been to Denmark can arrive in the UK. Iceland play in Denmark on Saturday and are meant to travel to England after that match. 

All previous quarantine restrictions has allowed elite athletes to be exempt from quarantine for two weeks. UK government have not allowed this exemption for anyone been in Denmark. Thus, Iceland players would have to isolate for two weeks before the match is played.
  • Options
    I couldn't be less bothered, i know they have to but 3 internationals again is a joke. No wonder alot of players are picking up injuries, also coinciding with our good run i would have preferred we were playing and dont fall games in hand behind.  Saw a Holland v Spain was on last night and switched off, sick of internationals. 
  • Options
    All seems a bit ridiculous. I thought sportsmen/women were exempt from Covid travel restrictions anyway?

But if this part is true (as i'm sure it is):

"We have agreed with the Icelandic team that they arrive on private charter to a private terminal and will only have access to their hotel and the stadium."

and they all undergo regular tests then i don't see why the government can't allow it. It's not like they're arriving on an easyjet flight and then getting the tube to Wembley.
  • Options
    The government has granted an exemption to the Icelandic team

I assume they can be trusted to not do what Foden and Greenwood did in Iceland  ;)
  • Options
    The government has granted an exemption to the Icelandic team

I assume they can be trusted to not do what Foden and Greenwood did in Iceland  ;)
    Yeah cos Icelandic women v English women!!
  • Options
    Didn’t even realise England were playing tonight!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Grealish AND Mount? It'll be hours before the internet can be sure if it's angry or not
  • Options
    Grealish AND Mount? It'll be hours before the internet can be sure if it's angry or not
    England 0-0 Ireland will answer that question ;)
  • Options
    No Sterling?
  • Options
    Hope Grealish has a great game. It's crazy that lesser players who happen to play at bigger clubs just get to walk into the team ahead of him.
  • Options
    Two former Charlton keepers in one match
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    No Sterling?
    He didn't play in our last set of matches either did he? He is in the squad though?
  • Options

Owen Hargreaves is the only player to play for England without previously living in the UK
  • Options
    Hard game for Ireland, never won at Wembley. Kenny looking for his first win, a draw would be a good result, having say that England haven’t beaten Ireland since ‘85.