Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shaving - Which Razor ?

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Men grow beards
  • Options

Men grow beards

Correct.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Men grow beards

Thank you. This thread is the stuff of nightmares!

• Options
    Bearded colonel blades and taylor of old Bond Street cream
  • Options

cafcfan said:

I am reminded of this chart:

So for me, it's any old crap that has the words "disposable razors" on the packet. As cheap as possible.

Has anyone tried that caffeine shampoo ?
    it's nice with just a dash of milk and 2 sugars
  • Options
    Has anyone found a generic 5 blade razor head that will work with a Gilette Fusion handle? Used them for years and like the single blade on the back for hacking at the sideburns but jeez they ain't cheap are they!
  • Options

Like you, SHG, I got fed up with forking out a fortune on Gillette blades - and I switched too but not to disposables.

I got myself a relatively old fashioned double-edged safety razor. These are comparatively hard to find on the high street but are easy to find online.
    I also kicked the shaving foam into touch and resurrected the brush and soap/cream method which I think really favours a safety razor.

The razor I have is an Edwin Jagger (not overpriced but not bargain basement) and I prefer Derby razor blades. For soap I use either Proraso (like the sandalwood fragranced one) or Arko which is a Turkish soap.

The razor and Proraso came from https://shavelounge.co.uk and the blades and Arko from Amazon. Blades are seriously, seriously cheap if you hunt for the non-prime vendors on Amazon.

Hope this helps.

I take my hat off to you mate.If I used one of those razors I'd look like I'd done a couple of rounds with Edward scissor hands.
  • Options
    Gillette Mach 3 with Gillette Gel.
    I’ve been using the Mach 3 since my son bought one for me for Father’s Day way back.
    Use it once a day every day. They aren’t cheap but Sainsbury’s do them or Wilkinson. I can’t be bothered to shop around.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cornerstone for a couple of years now, excellent all round from products to delivery and customer service, couldn't recommend them high enough
  • Options
    Gillette Fusion Power razor, Nuage shaving oil from Sainsburys and a shaving gel, Gillette/Nivea and an aftershave balm.

Does it for me.
  • Options
    Been using Gillette blue 2 for years with sensitive foam without any issues. Use them twice before changing.
  • Options
    Just started using Dorco. Really good shave.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Update :

Mrs Guru after listening to my moaning about cheap razors and cost of Gillette or Wilkinson Sword unilaterally decided to buy me a new razor and blades from Lidl. Cien Shark Razor System and 4 pack of blades. Has 5 blades plus trimmer. Quality of the actual razor body itself is impressive. Heavy and with good ergonomics. Blades look the business but time will tell.

First shave this morning combined with Gillette sensitive gel and I’m seriously impressed. The difference in closeness between the Shark and the disposables I’ve been using is marked and felt completely different.

All for less than £8:00

• Options

Update :

Mrs Guru after listening to my moaning about cheap razors and cost of Gillette or Wilkinson Sword unilaterally decided to buy me a new razor and blades from Lidl. Cien Shark Razor System and 4 pack of blades. Has 5 blades plus trimmer. Quality of the actual razor body itself is impressive. Heavy and with good ergonomics. Blades look the business but time will tell.

First shave this morning combined with Gillette sensitive gel and I’m seriously impressed. The difference in closeness between the Shark and the disposables I’ve been using is marked and felt completely different.

I tried these and ended up looking like I'd been attacked by a shark.
  • Options

Occam's

Joking aside, if anyone was to start up a new razor business, they could do a lot worse than choosing that name.

I use a Gillette Mach 3 and am very happy with it. I was once bought razors with five blades; my son swore by it, but it was useless for me the gap between the blades wasn't deep enough for my old-man stubble.
  • Options
    Gillette double blade and no soap or gel. Works for me. Only shave twice a week.
  • Options

Gillette double blade and no soap or gel. Works for me. Only shave twice a week.

That's because you are 13 mate... :lol:
  • Options
    I use Gillet disposable razors but before I shave, I put shaving oil on the stubble and then I use Kent shaving soap. That way I get a very close shave with no irritation. To finish, wash face and put on after shave balm
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I use a Gillette Aristocrat butterfly opening safety razor made in 1949 inherited from my dad, used with proraso pre shave cream,proraso shaving soap and astra razors about £9 for a hundred. The old way is best.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    My manservant does it for me while I sleep. I'll ask him and get back to you.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    He says he makes sure the stubble is properly softened with hot water, then a good moisturising soap rubbed into it. Then he just uses Gillette Fusion. Apparently one blade lasts for around 10 shaves before he notices that it is getting a bit blunt, so not unreasonable cost effectiveness.

Then he made me bacon and eggs and read my correspondence to me while I had breakfast in bed.
  • Options
    Did anyone else use a Gillette Techmatic years ago? It had a long band of metal that you just wound on once it got blunt.
  • Options

My manservant does it for me while I sleep. I'll ask him and get back to you.

When my manservant is up and about i have no time to shave...
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Update :

This for me. As good as Gillette and I have a shave virtually every day.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Age is a great provider. Being naturally blonde i spent most of my early teens to twenties wishing i could grow a decent beard. Now at 55 i have grey hair growing from every bloody oriface and having to shave again in the evening if i am going out. If i leave it two weeks i look like fuckin Santa Claus, it really ain't a good look!

• Options
    edited September 2018
    I switched to an electric shaver about three years ago, no regrets whatsoever.

It wasn't cheap but I have sensitive skin so bad that often when I used razor blades I would get quite a lot of razor burn, so bad I got into the habit of shaving at night instead of the morning. It would be even worse if I switched razor blade style so I always used Gillette Sensor Excel until the shops made it difficult to buy blades without buying a whole razor.

The electric shaver I now use dispenses a Nivea For Men cream while I shave and that's all I now pay for. An expensive outlay but minimal maintenance costs.
  • Options

Men grow beards

No they don't unless you are in the Navy and have the Captain's permission to do so! Smarten yourselves up FFS :wink: