Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ryder Cup 2018 September 28th-30th

Comments

• Much as I'm sure we would all like to: argue with the panto villain that is Patrick Reed, it is difficult to do so when he says:

"Every day I saw 'Leave your egos at the door' and they did that better than we did".

Jordan Spieth, by all accounts, didn't want to be paired with Reed. But then, why would you, when, by association, you are going to get shed loads from the home crowd!
  • Much as I'm sure we would all like to: argue with the panto villain that is Patrick Reed, it is difficult to do so when he says:

"Every day I saw 'Leave your egos at the door' and they did that better than we did".

Jordan Spieth, by all accounts, didn't want to be paired with Reed. But then, why would you, when, by association, you are going to get shed loads from the home crowd!

He's not wrong about that, but he does come across as a bit of a bellend in the rest of the interview.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/30/sports/golf/ryder-cup-europe-united-states-egos.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Sports

And for what it's worth I thought his "shhh" gesture at the very end was all in good fun. He applauded the crowd straight after. It showed a bit of levity and humility that pretty much no one else on the US showed.
  • SDAddick said:

Much as I'm sure we would all like to: argue with the panto villain that is Patrick Reed, it is difficult to do so when he says:

He's not wrong about that, but he does come across as a bit of a bellend in the rest of the interview.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/30/sports/golf/ryder-cup-europe-united-states-egos.html?action=click&module=Well&pgtype=Homepage&section=Sports

And for what it's worth I thought his "shhh" gesture at the very end was all in good fun. He applauded the crowd straight after. It showed a bit of levity and humility that pretty much no one else on the US showed.
    I thought that too and I think Butch Harman was a bit quick in his criticism at the end.
  • SDAddick said:

Much as I'm sure we would all like to: argue with the panto villain that is Patrick Reed, it is difficult to do so when he says:

I thought that too and I think Butch Harman was a bit quick in his criticism at the end.
    Yes he was - it was clearly tongue-in-cheek from Reed.

I know he's employed by SKY and has to be to a great degree objective in his comments, but bizarrely, as an American, I get the distinct impression that Harman is genuinely pleased when Europe do well.
  • hope Sky now give Nick Dougherty more airtime presenting the Golf, thought he was quality when on.
  • pretty simply usa did not play well as a team and it is a team event
  • As has been said the tight course didn't suit their bombers and they have always struggled to generate and match the team spirit of the Europeans. Poor picks by Furyk and too many big time Charlies who failed to embrace the team ethic and got turned over yet again away from home :smirk: .
  • Re Sky's coverage.

I know it has been mentioned on here the other day but wtf was all those ad breaks about ?? About every 15 min & then lasting around 2-3 mins. During their Open coverage I think they say the ad breaks would be around 30 secs. Also, once about 8 matches had gone out you never saw much of the last few matches - certainly didn't see them tee off on the 1st and the last 2 groups you only ever saw them putting out for wins/loses. I thought it was pretty poor tbh - and I have been watching Sky for over 30 years & usually rate their coverage on golf, cricket, football.

As an aside - I watch a few mins of the BBC highlights last night & had to laugh when they had the score up & on one hole it was 11-9 and then went to a hole & it was 10-9 just to see the putt holed & the score change to 11-9. Production team a bit lacking there methinks......
  • But is it [Ryder cup] a team game? Golfer hits ball the least number of times than his opponent to win. Positioning the ball or game management is...part of the game. The “team” part of it is just the collective results and not so much on the course. Winning team collect trophy and parties. I must admit there seemed a lack of camaraderie on show by the yanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2018
    Solidgone said:

But is it [Ryder cup] a team game? Golfer hits ball the least number of times than his opponent to win. Positioning the ball or game management is...part of the game. The “team” part of it is just the collective results and not so much on the course. Winning team collect trophy and parties. I must admit there seemed a lack of camaraderie on show by the yanks.

Have you played team golf? I think you'll find the Fousomes and Fourballs are very much a team game, if nothing else.
  • edited October 2018
    Solidgone said:

But is it [Ryder cup] a team game? Golfer hits ball the least number of times than his opponent to win. Positioning the ball or game management is...part of the game. The “team” part of it is just the collective results and not so much on the course. Winning team collect trophy and parties. I must admit there seemed a lack of camaraderie on show by the yanks.

I think it’s a matter of attitude and togetherness.

The mindset of a team rather than 12 individuals made a big difference.
  • I’ve never played team golf so I’ll bow to those that have and place my previous post in room 101 :smile:
  • Solidgone said:

Definitely a team game.In a 4-ball match you & your partner can decide tactics.......a longer hitter may go for it whereas a shorter hitter may lay up. If one of you is in trouble then the other might play a bit safer.....making sure you have at least one ball "in play". This is something the Americans failed to do most spectacularly. Both seemed intent on just playing their own ball come what may. The only 2 to really buck this trend were Speith & Thomas......even to the point that they conceded a 20 foot putt just so the other player couldn't get a read on it.....very smart play indeed.
  • edited October 2018
    Solidgone said:

I’ve never played team golf so I’ll bow to those that have and place my previous post in room 101 :smile:

I can understand you original line of thinking but there are tactics to be deployed in the better ball pairs such as who goes for it, you or your partner or both. Who putts first like McIlroy did on one occasion for par to give his partner Garcia? the chance of a free run at getting the birdie and win the hole, which he duly did..... etc
  • That's a good line.

18 was a beast as well. It's a shame it didn't feature more.
  • RedChaser said:

Solidgone said:

I’ve never played team golf so I’ll bow to those that have and place my previous post in room 101 :smile:

I can understand you original line of thinking but there are tactics to be deployed in the better ball pairs such as who goes for it, you or your partner or both. Who putts first like McIlroy did on one occasion for par to give his partner Garcia? the chance of a free run at getting the birdie and win the hole, which he duly did..... etc
    Also tactics in foursomes at times, knowing where to put the ball on the fairway to favour his partner's preferred shape of shot for the second.

But the team element is much more than that, it is psychological - and that applies just as much in the singles as it does in the pairs. It starts in the locker room and then transfers to the course - "If I play a bad shot I'm letting the team down" rather than "If I play a bad shot I'm letting myself down". The Europeans were the former, the Americans much more of the latter.

The Europeans also seemed to be without egos and it was clear that the bond between all 12 players and the Captain/Vice Captains was unbreakable - they all really like each other. None of the Speith "I don't want to play with Reed" bollocks.

It's very much a team game.
  • SDAddick said:

That's a good line.

18 was a beast as well. It's a shame it didn't feature more.
    It certainly is a beast and in fact most of the holes were beasts.

I've seen a bit of the French Open over the years but for the first time I realised what an absolutely incredible course it is. I want to play it one day - but perhaps from the forward tees!
  • Sponsored links:

• Woman who’s eyeball exploded after being hit with a wayward shot at The Ryder Cup is considering legal action.

Surely it’s the risk you take?
  • It is a risk you take but with today's society claiming for everything I'm not surprised.
  • iaitch said:

It is a risk you take but with today's society claiming for everything I'm not surprised.

Agreed... its the risk you take being close to the action in any sport

If you dont like that then its best you stay home and watch it on the Television
  • I think the small print on tickets at golf tournaments specifically absolves tournament organisers for any responsibility for injuries incurred by spectators.

I would expect all the players from both teams to make a contribution to at least pay for her ongoing medical bills if not much more.
  • Either way, i bet that smarted
  • I didnt see the incident but I would have to say the onus is on the player , not the spectator. It doesnt take much to shout "FORE" & point. The Americans are the worst. With all the silly rule changes the R&A are bringing in (dropping the ball from just off the ground etc)one they could bring in for the professional game is a 2 stroke penalty for not alerting the paying public that your drive (yes you, Mr professional, a player who practices every day & who can control the ball better than a 18 handicapper playing his local municipal) is 50 yards of its intended target.
  • I didnt see the incident but I would have to say the onus is on the player , not the spectator. It doesnt take much to shout "FORE" & point. The Americans are the worst. With all the silly rule changes the R&A are bringing in (dropping the ball from just off the ground etc)one they could bring in for the professional game is a 2 stroke penalty for not alerting the paying public that your drive (yes you, Mr professional, a player who practices every day & who can control the ball better than a 18 handicapper playing his local municipal) is 50 yards of its intended target.

He did shout fore, a lot, and him and his caddy were pointing.

Obviously horrendous incident but you know what the risks are when entering a golf course, and whilst I have a lot of sympathy for her, I think it's absurd to try and sue.

He did shout fore, a lot, and him and his caddy were pointing.

Obviously horrendous incident but you know what the risks are when entering a golf course, and whilst I have a lot of sympathy for her, I think it's absurd to try and sue.
    Surely, professional golfers have insurance for this sort of thing?
  • It never ceases to amaze me, with all the 6's in cricket these days, how someone doesn't get hit.