Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheff Utd - Is it becoming embarassing now?

Just heard on the radio that their chairman will take the whole thing to the European Commission if the hearing fails in this country.

He thinks they now have a human rights issue due to lack of jobs and reduction in salaries at the club.

You have to admire them for sticking to their guns and I’m not sure how I would feel if we were doing it etc but I think its just silly now

Comments

• Options
    Agreed, its over and once the fixtures are published there is no turning back then.

I don't feel sorry for them really, they had a home game against a shite Wigan and only needed a draw and they lost, simple as that in the end.

All they are doing now is taking their focus off of next season and might well have a bad start to the season.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    All they are doing now is taking their focus off of next season and might well have a bad start to the season.

Exactly. How can they plan for the season ahead whilst this is still dragging on?
    No way can they be re-instated as then there would be 21 teams and an odd number meaning 1 team sitting out a fixture each week and will cause chaos at xmas, easter and on the last day of the season.
  • Options
    If it were us your whole attitude would be different.

Unfortunately sheff utd need the backing of the whole Premier League which they will never get. I admire them and good luck to them for sticking to their guns.
  • Options
    its a great injustice, but they now have to come to terms with it. Everyone in football knows that what went on was wrong, but the telling thing for me was the ability of most other clubs to keep schtum on the matter showed you everything you needed to know about the modern game.
  • Options
    I'm not sure we would feel the same in there boots.

I still feel they have cheated there way out of relegation and if we had finished 3rd from bottom i'm not so sure we would just roll over easily!!
  • Options
    I don't see it as silly.

The whole world knows by now that West Ham intentionally broke the rules in order to sign 2 players they otherwise could not have signed in time within the transfer window. Those players should have been ineligible to play before the January window and West Ham sought to gain an unfair advantage over Premiership teams.

They cheated.

The whole world knows that justice was not done and the 'punishment' was in effect no punishment whatsoever.

So everyone is bored with it now.

That's no reason for justice not to be done.
  • Options
    [quote][cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]If it were us your whole attitude would be different.

Unfortunately sheff utd need the backing of the whole Premier League which they will never get. I admire them and good luck to them for sticking to their guns.[/quote]

Probably right Ledge but after a while you'd have to face facts that the situation is not going to change. The Prem is basically a private club and if they don't want you in it then you ain't getting in so you might as well concentrate on getting back in the Prem via the pitch and not the courts.

I quite agree that the West Ham thing stinks but its done now and the seasonal nature of football means that this sort of injustice, unlike for example a wrong courtroom verdict sending down an innocent man, is very hard to over-turn because of the limited time (about two and a bit months) that there are between seasons.
  • Options
    Good on em for keeping at it and not rolling over waiting for their belly to be rubbed like most other clubs - The EPL were wrong again and therefore should be challenged.
  • Options
    The chairman of Sheff Utd. is simply doing the same as West Ham did prior to their intial hearing. Making it clear to the Premier League that if the 'right' decision is not made then they will go to court. The Premier League have already caved in to this threat with the initial decision so their is no reason to think they won't do so again.
  • Options
    West Ham cheated (and eventually admitted so). The so-called punishment is a joke, the Premier League have to be taken to task over it
    - they have given the green light to all sorts of cheating now.

How about just swapping the TV money for the next two years?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sheff Utd's case, remember, is not against West Ham.

It's against the Premier League for maladministration.
  • Options
    as an aside, it's not too late to ban them from this years fa cup as brighton were also affected by tevez playing.
    or if numbers are a problem they could give brighton a bye to the 3rd round and make west scam play from round 1.
  • Options
    It's not too late when the fixtures are done since they can simply substitute Sheff Utd for West Ham and vice versa.

We will see next week whether anything happens - I see Sheffield are trying to enlist the help of the agent involved.

I cannot see how they can uphold the status quo but it will be very difficult to swap the teams and West Ham will go mad!
  • Options
    [cite]Gordon Taylor[/cite] "I think they have a real valid case. I just think it's sad that this has been a shadow hanging over the season.

"You've got to give credit to West Ham for the way they battled back and to a lot of those supporters and a lot of those players. They are innocent in this.

"But there were people involved at the club who knew what they were doing and they are the ones who should be held to account."
  • Options
    The gang of four should have been the gang of 19.Just about sums the Premier league up really.They all deserve each other.Sheff U have even got Mr Bean to help them.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]
    or if numbers are a problem they could give brighton a bye to the 3rd round and make west scam play from round 1.

That'd be no good as West ham would win through easily. They could easily ban them and give the team left over from the round 3 draw a bye to round 4. I think they did that the year Man Utd pulled out to play in the world club championships.
    The precedent was Bury being kicked out of last years cup, so as it's too late for West ham as the season is over, surely they have to be kicked out of this years?
  • Options
    Would anyone think it fair if West Ham were docked points next season?

I think the whole thing resembles the smell from WSS' gusset after a heavy night chasing skirt

Hit them with a heavy docking to start the season with, effectively making top six very tough then see if egg head gets bored and pulls his money out. They will then drop like a stone and justice will have (eventually) been done.

By the way, the bloke who cuts my hair reckons his daughter knows tangoman and he's shitting a brick about the verdict tomorrow. How true that is I don't know.
  • Options
    As much as we all hate West ham and we know they've done wrong and got off lightly, they can't and won't be punished again. And as has already been stated, Sheff Utds case is against the premier league not against West Ham.
  • Options
    I heard Sheff Utd are asking Wednesday supporters back them. Why should they when I didn't see much evidence of Wednesday getting much support from Blades fans when they were relegated in 1990 from the top flight and kept down when Swindon were denied promotion.
  • Options
    The simplest answer would have been for the Premiership to fine West Ham their entire TV money for the 2007/08 season, that would have hit them extremely hard whereas the 5 million fine is only 20% maximum of what they will receive anyway.

The decision has been made now and they won't go back. The point about the fixtures is a very important one and you can't just "swap West Ham for Sheffield United" because the fixtures are worked out on a partly logitical basis, ie working out that Sheff Utd and Sheff Weds or Everton and Liverpool are not home on the same day.

So, the fixtures are a very important watermark here because they represent, to a large extent, a "no u-turn" phase because we now have only 42 days until the new season starts.

I agree that West Ham have gotten off very lightly but I would wager a pound to a penny that the Premiership are on rock solid legal ground, morally they are in the wrong but they would have checked in advance that the 3rd bottom side could not come back at them before they let West Ham escape any legal punishment.

IMO, Bryan Robson might be wishing that his chairman would just drop it because how can Sheffield United sign anyone when they are in such limbo? Robson does not know if he has 11 million or 30 million to spend or if he is looking for Prem players or CCC players.

The only thing I hope is that Tevez leaves the Spammers and they implode next season and get relegated, that would be true justice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: seriously_red[/cite]It's not too late when the fixtures are done since they can simply substitute Sheff Utd for West Ham and vice versa.

We will see next week whether anything happens - I see Sheffield are trying to enlist the help of the agent involved.

I cannot see how they can uphold the status quo but it will be very difficult to swap the teams and West Ham will go mad!

Very easy to swap the teams around given how both Sheffield United and West Ham's fixtures seem to have been arranged.
  • Options
    They've made Brian Robson manager so they know they're a Championship club
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Charlie Block[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: seriously_red[/cite]It's not too late when the fixtures are done since they can simply substitute Sheff Utd for West Ham and vice versa.

Very easy to swap the teams around given how both Sheffield United and West Ham's fixtures seem to have been arranged.
    Can you explain please? Can't be bothered to work it out for myself!
  • Options
    It appears that whenever Sheffield United are at home West Ham either are also at home or don't have a game. Likewise the same when Sheffield United are away.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    But are Sheffield United cheats themselves?
    [cite]Posted from Sheffield Forum[/cite]
    just came accross this dont know how true it is. ill let you guys decide. just to point out i have not written this but have had it sent to me by email.

With all the furore surrounding Sheffield United’s often-repeated, but incorrect claim that West Ham United fielded an ineligible player I noticed that Sheffield Uniteds Jonathan Stead, represented three clubs in official matches between 1st July 2006 and 30th June 2007, in contravention of FIFA’s Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players, Chapter 3 Article 5.
    Between the 6th and 28th of August 2006 he played six games for Sunderland. Between the 13th of October 2006 and the 2nd January he went on loan to Derby County, where he played seventeen games. On the 11th of February he was transferred to Sheffield United where he played fourteen games.
    Although the FIFA regulation III 5.3 does permit a player to be registered to three clubs during the appropriate period it specifically states that “the player is only eligible to play in Official Matches for two clubs”. Can you confirm that special clearance was sought by Sheffield United to have this FIFA Regulation waived before Jonathan Stead appeared for them, and that this clearance was granted? If this is not the case, then have Sheffield United fielded an ineligible player on fourteen occasions?
  • Options
    I believe the ruling is he cannot be permanently transferred to 3 different clubs within the same season.
  • Options
    I don't think loans count.
  • Options
    One thing seems to be clear. For example:

After a season commences, player Fred Bloggs plays a competitive match for his club in say August, and then before the transfer window closes is permanently transferred to another club, for whom he plays in a competitive match.

He cannot then be permanently transferred to a third club in the January window and play a competitive match.

And then we have a Charlton scenario:

James Walker signs a 1 year contract with Charlton but is loaned to Bristol Rovers and plays a number of competitive matches.
    He returns to The Valley and without playing a competitive match is loaned to Leyton Orient where he plays a number of competitive matches.

Now here clearly Walker's registration is held at 3 different clubs in the same season but only owned by the one club, Charlton.

If Walker had played a competitive match for Charlton before his loan to Bristol Rovers, would he have been allowed to appear for Orient?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: kigelia[/cite]The chairman of Sheff Utd. is simply doing the same as West Ham did prior to their intial hearing. Making it clear to the Premier League that if the 'right' decision is not made then they will go to court. The Premier League have already caved in to this threat with the initial decision so their is no reason to think they won't do so again.

Totally agree. I would go further in that there have been so many cock ups here by the authories

1. the failure to establish the truth of these contracts at the time the players were signed. They were aware of the possibility given West Ham's enquiries about such contracts at the time. It was common practice for such contracts to exist in South America and widely reported here that both players were signed on that basis.

2. the failure to deal expeditiously once the contracts were disclosed

3. the behind the scenes "deal" offered to West Ham

4. the deal to allow Tevez to play on based upon a one sided contract cancellation of a two sided contract

Now we have the possibiliy that they will both take the easy route out and let Sheff U back in and also take the outrageous decision to have a two up promotion next season.
  • Options
    A more just solution would be to see heads roll at the Premier League, because a huge cock-up happened on its watch and it sat back and let it happen.