Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sheff Utd - Is it becoming embarassing now?

Comments

• Options
    People saying its embarassing on here were the ones desperately trying to get west ham to have points deducted before we went down.

Its petty, was just as cringeworthy when fans from our club were campaigning for it.
  • Options
    According to Talksport Sheff Utd have agreed to accept £10m from West Ham in settlement.

Bit of a come down from 40 odd million. And it;s being paid over 5 years - again this is not been confirmed.

Bit of a cop out or take the money and run
  • Options
    Reality strikes they would never get the true worth the Appy Ammers could never afford it and now at least they are getting some dosh, even a little bringing to an end a long running distraction.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Just heard on the radio that their chairman will take the whole thing to the European Commission if the hearing fails in this country.

He thinks they now have a human rights issue due to lack of jobs and reduction in salaries at the club.

You have to admire them for sticking to their guns and I’m not sure how I would feel if we were doing it etc but I think its just silly now
    If it was us we'd just put it behind us and never mention it again.

How silly.
  • Options
    Do you really think that, mclovin? I think we'd fight all the way.

£10m isn't bad, but justice has still not been done. I think fair play to them for sticking at it. The original punishment against west ham was a disgrace and was done for ridiculous reasons, so i was always confused why public opinion started to turn against sheff utd just because the story got boring.
  • Options
    The poetic justice in the whole affair leads to one bad decision taken by Sheff United long before the Tevez situation cropped up. This would be the offloading of a certain David Unsworth after he missed a couple of pens early in the season. The trouble was they offloaded him to Wigan after which he was perfectly placed to smash home the penalty on the final day to relegate his old team. All the other bluff and bluster is academic.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BBClaus[/cite]

...... public opinion started to turn against sheff utd just because the story got boring.

Says it all.

Justice isn't important when the masses are bored and need the next crisis to feed on.
  • Options
    I'm frankly amazed that Sheffield United have not been asked to pay £10 million in compensation to West Ham.

Fancy having the temerity to question the propriety of our glorious World Cup winners and their pals on the FA.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I'm frankly amazed that Sheffield United have not been asked to pay £10 million in compensation to West Ham.

Fancy having the temerity to question the propriety of our glorious World Cup winners and their pals on the FA.

Just think, Len ....... if Curbs had stayed 1 more year at Charlton, yer Actual 'Ammers would have been
    well in the ParDoo-Doo and disappeared beneath the murky waters of relegation.

And Sheff Yoo would have sunk with them as Charlton, still under Curbs muddled their way to mid-table mediocrity

;o)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: LenGlover[/cite]I'm frankly amazed that Sheffield United have not been asked to pay £10 million in compensation to West Ham.

Just think, Len ....... if Curbs had stayed 1 more year at Charlton, yer Actual 'Ammers would have been
    well in the ParDoo-Dooand disappeared beneath the murky waters of relegation.

And Sheff Yoo would have sunk with them as Charlton, still under Curbs muddled their way to mid-table mediocrity

;o)

BORING mid table mediocrity Oggy :-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Damn! I should have got that right, Len !

:o)
  • Options
    £10m or avoid some embarrassment?

£10m please.
  • Options
    So £10m to Sheff Utd over 5 years and a £5m fine. Considering what relegation would've cost them i think West ham have done very well out of that.
  • Options
    I love the fact that the FA never forgot to fine West Ham the £5 mill.

Rather handy in the FA's coffers. Much more benefit to the FA than a West Ham points deduction.
  • Options
    It's been brought up though, with the ongoing FA/PL investigation, agreeing this compo is an admission of guilt surely?

Not going to help the World Cup Winners in the enquiry is it?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]It's been brought up though, with the ongoing FA/PL investigation, agreeing this compo is an admission of guilt surely?

Well Wacko Jacko seems to get away with it enough, West Ham may as well give it a go ;)
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]It's been brought up though, with the ongoing FA/PL investigation, agreeing this compo is an admission of guilt surely?

WHU 'fessed up at the time to breaking the law and accepted the £5m fine. If they agree anything with Sheff U then it'll come with strings attached - something to theeffect that the settlement isn't an admission of guilt and constitutes a full and final settlement and that will get them out of any further legal problems.
  • Options
    Warnock may sue.

"I should be a Premier League manager"

Lol - diddums.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/west_ham_utd/7947535.stm
  • Options
    What a load of bollox!

Any claim by the players/manager is nothing but them looking for an excuse for not being good enough to stay up.
  • Options
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ----- i should be a premier league manager
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Wanrock is pissing in the wind BUT he is absolutely bang on about Richard Scudamore and should be bloody congratulated for having the nuts to say so as well.

Bang on BVN by the way
  • Options
    Warnock is right in what he says about the Prem but I don't hold out much hope of him winning if he does sue.
  • Options
    I think Warnock is right.

His claim is based on the shame and embarrassment of having to tell people he is manager Crystal Palace.

That must be worth £5m
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]I think Warnock is right.

His claim is based on the shame and embarrassment of having to tell people he is manager Crystal Palace.

That must be worth £5m

If he'd had any self respect he would have done the decent thing and signed on.....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]

That must be worth £5m

If he'd had any self respect he would have done the decent thing and signed on.....

Or sold the big issue.
  • Options
    edited March 2009

That must be worth £5m

Absolutely, that coupled with the fact that he is a well-known anagram, must be worth some dosh.

Seriously though, I can't see any legal basis for his claim from West Ham anyway. Sheff Utd have received a settlement asa result of West Hams breach of contract. The contract being that as a member of the FAPL, they were under a duty of utmost good faith to disclose anything material which might affect the other members. They failed so to disclose, that put them in breach and compensation flowed directly from that. Warnock has no contract with West Ham and thus has no claim. Unless he can sue them in tort claiming that they owned him a duty of care, the breach of which has caused him to suffer loss, he hasn't got a leg to stand on and I can't see how he can frame a cause. He could sue Sheffield Utd as his directly contractual employer, although, I assume he received some compensation at the time of their "mutual consent" agreement.

Clearly Sheff Utd have gained the compensation, in lieu of monies they would have earned by staying in the FAPL. If they had stayed up, some of that money would have found it's way into Colin's pocket by way of enhanced remuneration for keeping them up so he may possible have an opportunity for additional compensation from Sheff Utd.

If the FA tribunal has established that West Ham were liable to compensate Sheff Utd, surely all other teams below West Ham should receive some compensation as they finished higher than they should have?

This whole thing is a total shambles and in my view has been brought about by maladministration by the FAPL and/or the FA. It was widely reported at the time of Tevez and Macherano's transfer to West Ham that there were TP ownership contracts. Scudamore failed to investigate with due diligence, they then allowed the original tribunal to reach a totally bizarre decision by not penalising West Ham points. The rest of this shambles has followed. Frankly Scudamore should resign or be pushed.
  • Options
    Right shoot me down at will for this but why have we never brought up this subject.. If West Ham had been docked say 10 points that would have given us a right boost and and could have ment we stayed up.. Simple fact is sheff utd didnt win that has nowt to do with Tevez, but surely we could have looked into some compo too...
  • Options
    edited March 2009
    Because we have some form of scruples.... ?

Are we in a minority? Almost everybody seems to ride roughshod through the rulebook.

If we had appealed, because we are Charlton, we would have been docked 30 points at the beginning of last season.
    We could have been relegated again last season instead - and be enjoying a promotion year this.

;o)
  • Options
    I hope the players & manager sue and win. If i was a Sheff Utd fan I would sue Wet Spam for mental anguish or something just to piss them off further. A complete disgrace of a club.

Anyway I see the Premiership are investigating their last 3 games so how about this....they find them guilty again and relegate them, Sheff Utd should take their place but as part of the out of court settlment terms and conditions are unable to do so and therefore the Prem turn to the next team....Maybe this is what Darren Ambrose meant when he said we would be back in the Prem in 5 years!
  • Options
    No doubt that Scudamore should resign over this, it has been proven that he completely mis-managed the situation. How can he possibly retain the confidence of the clubs now?

Putting all the Palace stuff aside I really like Warnock and admire Sheffield United for pursuing this as far as they have, there is no doubt that the PL tried to bully them into backing down and going away but they refused to do it.

There is just no doubt that if it had been Sheffield United or Charlton fielding the illegally signed player then the PL would have come down like a ton of bricks but because it was West Ham.....

I would love to see the Spammers come crashing down on the back of all this Icelandic stuff, I'd just bloody love it!!!