Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bolton announce administration

Comments

• Options
    It's really lucky that Bolton aren't playing anyone with something to play for. Imagine the mess if they were due to play Leeds or Sheffield United
    Well you could argue that they are

Few extra places for Brentford will mean greater prize money
    I'm not sure in the EFL that place generates different prize money.  It is significant in the Prem, but I believe not in EFL
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Kap10 said:
    I would have thought that Bolton will get a massive fine and points deduction greater than the 10 / 12 points for administration.  What was the situation at Luton, didnt they start a season with minus 30 points

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008-09_Luton_Town_F.C._season

"The club was docked 30 points at the start of the season; 10 by The Football Association for irregular matters involving player transfers, and 20 by the Football League for breaking rules on exiting administration."

Luton finished bottom of Division Four, 15 points from safety.

Bournemouth and Rotherham also started the season with a points deduction, 17 points each in their cases, and finished 21st and 14th respectively.

I remember that one of those clubs were so unhappy with their points penalty that they refused to acknowledge it in their matchday programme and always printed a "true" league table where no team had points docked.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The only solution in my opinion is either spread the premier league money more fairly among the 92 clubs (not going to happen) or say that every club must submit a financial forecast every April, for the current season.  If they aren't breaking even, as a mimium they are docked 20 points that season. If they are found to have lied or mislead in this statement they get kicked out the league, no ifs, no buts. 
    Almost every club loses money. To require them to break even and then docking 100+ clubs 20 points is going to look pretty silly. If anything, such a requirement just means a lot more clubs going into administration, not less. Because it’s not as much about financial losses in any year but the debt loads already imbedded hanging over the clubs. No league clubs have ever gone into administration because they lost £1 million the previous season.
  • Options
    One crook with no money owns Bolton and he is trying to sell the club to another crook with no money.
    I really think Bolton could fold.
    If Bassini does buy the club I expect him to remove all cash (if any) and the club will fold anyway.
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    There will be a way through it for them. Not sure if it’s just my perception but it feels as though so many clubs have gone through this sort of thing over the past 15 years, yet liquidation never seems to happen unless it’s at non-league level.

It does feel as though Football League clubs are seemingly indestructible, no matter how bad their finances are. Portsmouth for example - I don’t recall a situation as dire as that. There were threats of winding up orders every 5 minutes, but it never actually happens. 

It did actually happen to us in 1984. Wound up and not able to fulfil our fixture at Blackburn.

But I take your point about it never seeming to be the FINAL nail in the coffin. The farce of "Administration" has seen to that......

• Options
    If the players are not paid, their contracts are null and void and they can walk. Taking conspiracy theories one stage further, maybe this is the new owners ruse to get him out of potentially ruinous player contracts for next season so he can start afresh within everyone off the books?
  • Options
    If you were a player and looked at the goings on at Bolton would you sign for them?
  • Options
    If the players are not paid, their contracts are null and void and they can walk. Taking conspiracy theories one stage further, maybe this is the new owners ruse to get him out of potentially ruinous player contracts for next season so he can start afresh within everyone off the books?
    Seen that rumour going about on twitter, how perhaps Bassini is a stooge for Anderson.

If he isn't though, then it makes you wonder at the state of the other interested parties if Anderson seriously thought Bassini was the best and most credible option.
  • Options
    The Company/football club would still be liable.  A player can choose to walk for free if not paid but if they are very highly paid poor players who cannot replicate what they have elsewhere they will still be a creditor who the club needs to pay. The club cant just choose to cancel a contract because they are skint
  • Options
    The Company/football club would still be liable.  A player can choose to walk for free if not paid but if they are very highly paid poor players who cannot replicate what they have elsewhere they will still be a creditor who the club needs to pay. The club cant just choose to cancel a contract because they are skint
    I actually think they can resign if they are not paid for two consecutive months, but their registration then transfers to the EFL.  The EFL then (I imagine) "sell"/transfer the player to the club they want to join (if any).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:
    If you were a player and looked at the goings on at Bolton would you sign for them?

Only if I didn't have any other offers from clubs. Or if I didn't have a job.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    iaitch said:

Or they offered to pay me 6k a week and Stanley only offered me 3?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Simonsen said:
    iaitch said:

Or they offered to pay me 6k a week and Stanley only offered me 3?

Personally, I think I might take the lower offer in the knowledge that Stanley were probably more likely to actually pay me something on time.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The only solution in my opinion is either spread the premier league money more fairly among the 92 clubs (not going to happen) or say that every club must submit a financial forecast every April, for the current season.  If they aren't breaking even, as a mimium they are docked 20 points that season. If they are found to have lied or mislead in this statement they get kicked out the league, no ifs, no buts. 
    Almost every club loses money. To require them to break even and then docking 100+ clubs 20 points is going to look pretty silly. If anything, such a requirement just means a lot more clubs going into administration, not less. Because it’s not as much about financial losses in any year but the debt loads already imbedded hanging over the clubs. No league clubs have ever gone into administration because they lost £1 million the previous season.
    The first line proves my point.  Someone ITK said that 6k a week was the going rate for a top league one player.  Obviously some will get a bit less, but say you need ten on an average wage of 5k a week, 5 loans (assuming they are free, which they aren't) then another ten on say an average of 2k a week to make up the squad (mixture of youngsters and journey men). That's 3.6 million a year, in wages for the first team squad.  No manager, no coaches, no u23s. 

2018 our match day income was 3.4 million, central income 1.4 million and commercial about the same. Paying just the first team players would leave about 3 million to pay for everything else.  Stadium and training ground, management, academy, gas, electric, water etc.  It is just not possible.

I maybe wrong but I think @Airman Brown said the actual income from a match day ticket was about £8 after tax etc so if you added 6k to every gate of the season you would only raise an extra million or so. 

If you halved the wage bill you would be looking at a much more viable business model.  Obviously you can't do that as you wouldn't be able to field a competitive team.  The only way to do that is to force wages down by making sure everyone else does the same. 

The current system means that 72 someones have to put money, a lot of money, into every club, every year. Its bonkers and I don't think there is another business model like it in the world 

The only solution is reducing the 6k a week (or whatever) which is over 300k before bonuses and a crazy sum for 3rd tier football

Due to the "trickle down effect" of madness of the Premier League wages at all levels of football are uneconomic. Even in non league football, I don't see how the National League clubs can afford to be full professional with the gate income at that level.
  • Options
    Not paying them is a repudiatory breach of contract and they can indeed walk. But it is their choice and they may chose to accept the breach of contract on the basis that they may well be paid their contractual monies at some point rather than walking and guaranteeing they won't! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The first line proves my point.  Someone ITK said that 6k a week was the going rate for a top league one player.  Obviously some will get a bit less, but say you need ten on an average wage of 5k a week, 5 loans (assuming they are free, which they aren't) then another ten on say an average of 2k a week to make up the squad (mixture of youngsters and journey men). That's 3.6 million a year, in wages for the first team squad.  No manager, no coaches, no u23s. 

2018 our match day income was 3.4 million, central income 1.4 million and commercial about the same. Paying just the first team players would leave about 3 million to pay for everything else.  Stadium and training ground, management, academy, gas, electric, water etc.  It is just not possible.

I maybe wrong but I think @Airman Brown said the actual income from a match day ticket was about £8 after tax etc so if you added 6k to every gate of the season you would only raise an extra million or so. 

If you halved the wage bill you would be looking at a much more viable business model.  Obviously you can't do that as you wouldn't be able to field a competitive team.  The only way to do that is to force wages down by making sure everyone else does the same. 

The current system means that 72 someones have to put money, a lot of money, into every club, every year. Its bonkers and I don't think there is another business model like it in the world 

The only solution is reducing the 6k a week (or whatever) which is over 300k before bonuses and a crazy sum for 3rd tier football

Due to the "trickle down effect" of madness of the Premier League wages at all levels of football are uneconomic. Even in non league football, I don't see how the National League clubs can afford to be full professional with the gate income at that level.
    A quick Google search suggested Lee Gregory was on 8k a week when he signed for Millwall from Halifax so I might have under estimated a bit. 
  • Options
    Until football clubs pay realistic wages this will keep happening. The percentage of turnover spent on salaries is madness.

100% this.  If you want football clubs to avoid financial trouble, you’re ultimately looking at a salary cap.  Different clubs can impose their own salary cap depending on their circumstances, and I’m not saying a general one is one that easily implemented or even legal, but until all the money in wages that go to the likes of Sanchez at Utd who takes his place on the bench for £500k a week stops, this will continue to happen 
  • Options
    Think of all the money in football, TV income, Sponsorship etc that goes around and around - where does it actually finish up it's economic cycle ?

Players and agents.
    Wages are far too high. I know lads that are currently hoping to get a big club / Prem club who are not interested in the money, just the sense of achievement, but something turns them as they get closer to the football elite and they suddenly become like rabbits in headlights.
    The football culture is that the more you get paid must mean the better player you are - and it stings their ego that someone on their team is five quid a week a better player than them.
  • Options
    Think of all the money in football, TV income, Sponsorship etc that goes around and around - where does it actually finish up it's economic cycle ?

Players and agents.
    Wages are far too high. I know lads that are currently hoping to get a big club / Prem club who are not interested in the money, just the sense of achievement, but something turns them as they get closer to the football elite and they suddenly become like rabbits in headlights.
    The football culture is that the more you get paid must mean the better player you are - and it stings their ego that someone on their team is five quid a week a better player than them.
    And the biggest joke is just how much even the shit players get now.  Such is the levels knocking around at the very top, it’s distorted what a mediocre player now gets 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Seems that the EFL have confirmed that the Bolton v Brentford game wont be played this week...
  • Options
    Seems that the EFL have confirmed that the Bolton v Brentford game wont be played this week...
    Good.

• Options
    If Bolton don't play their last two games, which is looking likely, are their results annulled? potentially changing promotion/relegation places?
  • Options
    If Bolton don't play their last two games, which is looking likely, are their results annulled? potentially changing promotion/relegation places?
    Unlikely for that very reason.
  • Options

Players and agents.
    Obviously on a much bigger scale but isn't that part of the reported problem at Man U right now. Pogba and De Gea both said to be unhappy and wanting pay parity with Sanchez.
  • Options
    They beat Derby and West Brom + got a draw with Bristol City. Lost every other game.
    Other than West Brom/Leeds changing from 3rd and 4th it wouldn't actually make a difference.
  • Options
    EFL have given Bassini 48 hours to come up with the goods (money or proof of, plus other paperwork) or........?????. (they didnt say what would happen after that)

Also saying that there is no reason why the Forest game on Sunday shouldn't go ahead. I'm sure the players will have something to say about that of they still haven't been paid by Friday. 
  • Options
    In the NFL, NBA and MLB, agents make 4% of the player's contract and usually 10% of endorsements. ALL paid for FROM the player's contract, not on top of it. And certainly nothing like European football, where it is far, far more, and varies from transfer to transfer. Why the big leagues don't just get together and vote that all agent fees must come from the contract and then let the players and agents sort out the payments themselves, is beyond me. All it would take is a majority vote. I think pay to agents is causing more damage at the margin than player wages.
    Uefa and or Fifa could step in and say that too much money is going out of football and enforce this.

clubs are getting transfer bans left and right for over spending and a significant percentage of that is agents fees.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Agree with Napa. Surely the clubs are to blame? 

If all the major clubs got together and made a stand and said we are no longer paying agent fees or at least only agreed to pay a fixed rate % of the transfer fee (say something nominal like 1-2%) then the agents or players couldn't do anything about it.

If Barcelona, Real Madrid, City, Bayern, Juve, Man U etc all say 'fuck you, we're not paying' it's not as if players will refuse to sign for them.