Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

£16m + Hayden Mullens

Comments

• Options
    Perhaps he doen't want to go to west Ham
    Perhaps he doesn't want to play for Mr Curbishley
    Perhaps the huge salary offered isn't the overiding factor?
  • Options
    I think you are right about number three.
    For Benty's sake I would rather he went to one of the top 4 (or Spurs) - plus I don't want to see Curbs assembling a best of Charlton XI over the river.

For our sake though, then sell to anyone prepared to offer what we have asked for, I still hope Liverpool will come in at a late stage, not too late.
  • Options
    you're looking through rose-tinted glasses.

A move to West Ham would appeal to him for so many reasons;

he won't have to relocate
    he'll be a first choicer
    he's knows the manager and knows he has confidence in him
    familiar surroundings
    an amazing salary.

its a no brainer to me.
  • Options
    Liverpool haven't really been linked with DB. I think he needs to go to one of Chelsea, Man U or Arsenal. West Ham aren't really that big a step up and could yet end up being relegated.
  • Options
    Gotta say thus far our Darren has conducted himself like the total professional that he is. Boy is he gonna be sorely missed & he is a breath of fresh air in the stench of money grabbing tosseurs that parade as footballers in the premier league.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]Liverpool haven't really been linked with DB. I think he needs to go to one of Chelsea, Man U or Arsenal.

I make you wrong here BFR- I think he needs to go to a club where he will play regularly
  • Options
    If a big salary is right for Darren - but he's not excited by a hugely inflated telephone number salary - then a Liverpool offer paying say £35,000 a week may be enough for him.

Let's put £35,000 in perspective - it can be a years salary for a London worker or 2 years salary for many.
    Darren would get that in a WEEK.

He may decide he's happy enough with that - as a 21 year old with Ipswich he would never have dreamed he could earn so much - so to double it, possibly would not change the man he is.

Playing football is what makes Darren Bent tick.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    Playing football is what makes Darren Bent tick.

I think we've all got carried away that Darren is one of god's angel's just because he is a savvy enough or well advised enough to know when to say the right things and when to keep his trap shut.

Darren is undoubtedly a decent lad, but he will have the same ambitions and desires to earn a top income as every other footballer.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Couldn't agree more. He is a good lad and we are talking about vast quantities of money either way but he's only human!

You're offered two similar jobs, one slightly more attractive than the other in terms of working environment and your ambitions. The slightly less attractive job pays £4m a year, the other £2m a year. Which would you choose? No brainer for me, £4 mil all the way...
  • Options
    Don't forget that until Tevez kicked in a few goals and match winning performances West Ham were a team in crisis with gambling and drinking problems endemic in the club, rotating out a couple of players but keeping most of those like Anton Ferdinand doesn't necessarily solve those problems. Moving to West Ham might give DB a regular game, but they will have to play out of their collective skins to qualify for Europe even in the UEFA cup let alone the Champions League. Anyway if WH can pay Lucas Neill £72 a week then DB has to worth a lot more?

If he goes to one of the big four he'll get a regular game (as long as he's scoring goals) and he'll get a much higher profile than playing at West Ham, plus he'll be tested against against the best defenders in Europe and that will bring his game on, if his ambition is to play for England that will help him. At West Ham if they have a poor season he runs the risk of looking like he has no ambition and went there for the money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]. Anyway if WH can pay Lucas Neill £72 a week then DB has to worth a lot more?
    i'm even worth more than that! ;-)
  • Options
    He still did this remember:-

Bent Receives Caution

By Phil
    Date: 13/6/2004

Town striker Darren Bent has received a police caution for three offences relating to last month's BB gun incident near his home in Kesgrave.

Bent was arrested on May 12th after a 12-year-old boy was allegedly hit by a plastic pellet. Two weeks later a second boy came forward with a similar complaint.

The England U21 was released on police bail after the initial arrest but was ordered to return to Woodbridge Police Station on Saturday when he received his caution.

He shoots pikeys!! Crikey he really is an angel!!!
  • Options
    brap brap
  • Options
    We need to just accept he's as good as gone and get on with re-building our side. Another striker in (ideally Sharp or Eastwood, don't think we could afford Earnshaw), a central midfielder, a wide man, another centre back as cover, a right back assuming Young will go and i think we're on the right road.
  • Options
    Taken from the legendary Frankie Valley website.

from Spangle
    Konchesky, Newton, Spector,Parker, D Bent, Bowyer - assembled by Curbs at Charlton for about 3 mill
    Konchesky, Newton , Spector,Parker, D Bent,Bowyer - assembled by West Ham for 25 mill

Who's got Egg on their face?
  • Options
    (a) Champions League et al with Liverpool 40k per week, or (b) double your money with West Ham.

I would chose (a) and I think a lot of other people would too - obviously not Lucre's Neil though.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite](a) Champions League et al with Liverpool 40k per week, or (b) double your money with West Ham.

I would chose (a) and I think a lot of other people would too - obviously not Lucre's Neil though.
    i'd stay at Charlton and defer my salary for a year
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Salad Spinner[/cite](a) Champions League et al with Liverpool 40k per week, or (b) double your money with West Ham.

See that I probably agree with but top 4 doesn't seem like a realistic option for him at this stage. The money has to be right for Charlton and Bent and none of them seem interested enough to meet that. Unless they make a bit of a U-turn Liverpool don't appear to be in the running.
  • Options
    With Day, Peacock & Brown as well maybe WH will have red & white as their away colours to make then all feel at home!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: PassItToLeaburn[/cite]Unless they make a bit of a U-turn Liverpool don't appear to be in the running.
    Not many deals get done in June. I would be surprised if Liverpool are not interested, but they'd better be ready to go if they are, 'cos I'm sure we want a deal done in the next week or two.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks, Salad.......that was exactly the point I was trying to make.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Valley_McMoist[/cite]Leroy, are you just saying that because you hate Palace with a vengeance? Pardew must like him otherwise he wouldn't be in for him. I've never seen him play so I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    He said he didn't want to play for Charlton when Curbishley was sniffing round him before he went to Wet Spam. It's one thing having players in your side who don't play well for you because they're crap. It's another thing entirely having them not play well because they don't like the club. Of course, it makes it worse that he's Palarse, but this would be true of any player - from any club. If they SAY they don't want to play for you when they are supposedly at the peak of their career, then why would their attitude be any different when they are dropping down a division and their career is on the wane? Add to that the fact that he's useless anyway and I'd rather play poxy Faye in midfield than him.
  • Options
    you're not a fan then leroy !!

i'd welcome him. Solid, dependable and experienced, precisely what we need.

Wham season ticket holder rates him and doesn't want him to leave.
  • Options
    totally agree with Ambrose - he can fook off as far as I am concerned. He said he could never play for Charlton cos of th ePalace thing. Well I don't want him - but i am open to change my mind if he is quality LOL
  • Options
    Football fans in fickle shocker!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]Football fans in fickle shocker!
    LOL - nothing fickle about it. He's a palace no-mark and if he wants to drop down a division to 'get regular football' then he can f off back to the cheeserolls. I never rated him at Palace, and I've never met a hammer who does either. To quote one bloke I used to work with - "the ultimate water carrier"
  • Options
    mate, where we are at the moment, i'd take the lot back: Defoe, Murphy, Parker, Mullins, Pitcher Paul Williams.....
  • Options
    I always laugh at this stuff about Palace, we took Morts back, Johnnie H and Pards is like Jesus to most
  • Options
    .........and J Lloyd Samuel. Sorry too late, he's just signed for Notlob.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Rothko[/cite]I always laugh at this stuff about Palace, we took Morts back, Johnnie H and Pards is like Jesus to most

Yeah, but Morts & Johnnie Aitch were true Charlton Leg Ends and first left our club in the right way.