Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton v Barnsley

Comments

• Options

I’m just gonna state the uncomfortable truth for some.

We are better at the back without Sarr.

*grabs popcorn, awaits abuse*

More like we are better with Biekek..and with Pearce playing left not right.
  • Options

It is not an uncomfortable truth. I have never heard anyone suggest that we should play Pearce right side and Sarr on the left when everyone is fit, have you?

n.b. The goal was over the line IMO. I looked at the linesman and he seemed to give it. Ref indicated a push.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Great result today, just catching up and travelling home from France after what seems like weeks away working so thrilled with the result and performance, cant wait for Rochdale next week now COYA
  • Options

clb74 said:

Great win, boys done great. We have a very good strike force with them two, really enjoying watching them.

The disallowed goal from the corner was well over the line yet the Lino wasn’t going to give it. No idea if the foul the ref gave for was justified or not.

Aribo had another strong game for me and Bielik improves our defence when there.

Happy weekend, love it when we win

Once again Taylor plays everywhere but upfront
    Let me explain it too you.
    Taylor can play wide or down the middle.
    So he plays in both positions depending on the state of play.
    Grant was out pacing the CB so it made sense for Taylor to go wide at times, and this created the second goal.
    We have two strikers who can both score goals in the box or from outside.

If you were their today you would have seen Lyle Taylor miss a sitter in the six yard box in the last few minutes.

Lyle Taylor 7 goals 3 assists.
    Karlan Grant 7 goals 2 assists.

I don't understand your point ?
    My point is Taylor plays all over the pitch apart from goalkeeper.
    I've got him as a midfielder
  • Options
    Crossed the line, no foul in the build up, their guy clearly kept it out with his hand. Great corner. How that goal wasn't given is nothing but criminal decision making by ref and linesman.
  • Options
    And I was just about right inline with it in the east stand
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

The challenge on Grant. Was that a penalty, or FK outside the box?

It looked like a foul and their player should have been sent off.
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

And don't get me started on the yellow card for the booking for Solly for shirt pulling. That must have been the softest card I have ever seen, especially as the player concerned was totally unaffected and ran though with the ball. Solly has 2 players round him. Am I right in thinking Bow did not shake ref's hands. I thought he came out and probably shook hands with Barnsley manager and then went over to the home fans and ignore ref.

It was probably retribution by the ref on Solly.
    Solly had a go at him and gave a press interview, after the cheating bastard gave Peterboro a last minute penalty.
  • Options

Awesome performance, Bielik added a lot to the back four, we lost our shape when he went off.

And Sarr came on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Good game with great goals roll on Tuesday.
  • Options
    Wasn’t able to be there but I’m hugely encouraged by the comments.
  • Options
    Roll out Roland
  • Options
    The referee was hugely irritating and seems to crave attention. He is like a modern day version of the absurd Roger Kirkpatrick of the late 60s/early 70s but without any of the humour. If we never see him at The Valley again, it will be too soon.

Some of the stoppages were clearly justified, although I do wonder if today’s game established some sort of record for drop balls. I cartainly can’t remember any game where there was anything like as many.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

It is not an uncomfortable truth. I have never heard anyone suggest that we should play Pearce right side and Sarr on the left when everyone is fit, have you?

n.b. The goal was over the line IMO. I looked at the linesman and he seemed to give it. Ref indicated a push.
    A few have responded eratcially to myself saying I don’t rate Sarr, as much of a trier as he is.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What a day. Really enjoyed that. A performance that had Lee Bowyer written all over it. Don't agree that Barnsley were the better side. How many times did they really test Steer (who was literally faultless). First few minutes I was worried but after that excellent first goal they were scared shitless of Grant and Taylor.

I’m not convinced this is the only reason you were so happy, looked like you had a brand new gilet on when you passed me at the end...
  • Options
    Linington, is one of the famous creations of Jim Henson.
  • Options
    Don’t like swing silly on the right, don’t like seeing Taylor so far wide left with Ward in the middle.

Taylor was so cut up getting the ball stuck I see his feet in front of the covered end, his reaction was diamond, he so wants and expects to score.

Barnsley are a well set up team who managed pretty much naff all against a weakened Charton defence.

We played well, we won. Only thing that would make it better would be for Duchâtelet to sell for us all to be back rather than those who can’t not go
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Don’t like swing silly on the right, don’t like seeing Taylor so far wide left with Ward in the middle.

Taylor was so cut up getting the ball stuck I see his feet in front of the covered end, his reaction was diamond, he so wants and expects to score.

Barnsley are a well set up team who managed pretty much naff all against a weakened Charton defence.

We played well, we won. Only thing that would make it better would be for Duchâtelet to sell for us all to be back rather than those who can’t not go

Love a swing silly meself
  • Options
    Why all the abuse for Sarr?? He played about 10 minutes ffs. Of course we were better at the back today, we had Pearce playing on his favoured side and Bielik back in the team.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Great goal that should have stood.

And for all those who thought it was not over the line 😃
    I am only feeling calm about it because we won.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Seeing that I can only say that the ref is either a cheat or an imbecile. He was rubbish all game, with the giving of a "drop ball" that ended up with Barnsley kicking the ball off the pitch for our goal kick as one of the worst pieces of refereeing I've ever seen. At the time their player went down with an "injury" we had the ball about 30 yards from their goal with all their players in or around their own box. absolutely bizarre. Perhaps any of our resident refs can tell me if the laws of a "drop ball" have been changed to say that the opposition MUST pass it back to the goalkeeper rather than the 100-odd year tradition of actually "dropping the ball" to allow 2 players to fight it out. Utter twonk. Also, anyone see how or why Bielik picked up his yellow card ?

As for the game itself. I will go against the grain here & say I don't think it was a great game. Not a lot of action in either box & as a previous poster alluded to, I think we just sat back & let them try to get round us.......which helped us to catch them on the break when it broke down. No one player really stood out for us, although both Bielik & Taylor had excellent games, and Aribo, Ward & Cullen all shown different parts to being a midfielder. If only Reeves could put as much power into his shots as he does with his passes then he too may get on the scoresheet soon as his passing was not the best out there.

Onto Tuesday evening now. Is it too much to ask that Holmes doesn't score & KR scuttles back down the M4 without a grin on his face. Oh, and by the way - I'll be sitting in the Covered End for the first time EVER.
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:

Just got home. Excellent. It shows how much we missed Belik. (and Page and Bauer). Get these players back then we will def finish in play offs. I came in expecting a thrashing anf just like the "old" Charlton we always play well with the better teams. As for the goal. THAT ref ruled it and signalled with his back to indicate someone was backing in. The only thing I can think of was that it might have been Taylor. However, from I was sitting in the East Stand, nothing wrong with the goal. 3 Charlton players were running in. GK was stranded and yes the ball did cross the line from the corner, but nothing affected that goal. Tosser of a referee. In the 1st half kept putting his hand to his eyes as if to say "I can't see anything" (including the challenge on Grant. Was that a penalty, or FK outside the box? but yet in the 2nd half managed to see everything for Barnsley. And don't get me started on the yellow card for the booking for Solly for shirt pulling. That must have been the softest card I have ever seen, especially as the player concerned was totally unaffected and ran though with the ball. Solly has 2 players round him. Am I right in thinking Bow did not shake ref's hands. I thought he came out and probably shook hands with Barnsley manager and then went over to the home fans and ignore ref.

Just for the record Grant was outside the box when he was brought down in the first half. However 100% a foul. He did the the right thing these days in getting his body between the ball and the defender. A clash from behind by the defender means a free kick 100% of the time. AT least a booking. A sending off would have been harsh as there was a second defender in the mix as well.

You are also correct in that Bowyer avoided shaking the referees hand at the end. He bi-passed the ref and went over to applaud the crowd in the East Stand.

The ref wasn't going to book to book Solly until their guy kept having a moan about it. What annoyed me as much was the ref after booking solly ran over to the complaining player. No idea what he said but it seemed odd!

The ref was was again appalling.

No idea about the disallowed goal. Couldn't see anything but was a long way away!