Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post Match Views: Charlton v Barnsley

Comments

• Options
    Fantastic result!!

Great "club" pride restored following that performance against one of the strong favourites for automatic promotion this season.

My biggest fear now is that Duchatelet kill it all in January and sell off the squad at any price to line his pockets. All the hard work done by Bowyer and JJ will count for nothing and the fans will receive another kick in the stomach from our owner who is more interested in money than football.

Hope I am proved very wrong and someone convinces him that we have a strong chance of promotion ourselves and consequently a better sale price for him eventually.
  • Options
    With JFC fit and available...who knows where we'd be. We wouldn't have signed Cullen, though, who's a more than adequate stand-in
  • Options
    Leuth said:

With JFC fit and available...who knows where we'd be. We wouldn't have signed Cullen, though, who's a more than adequate stand-in

If Roland had given bowyer £3 million who knows where we'd be.
  • Options
    W
    clb74 said:

Leuth said:

If Roland had given bowyer £3 million who knows where we'd be.
    We’d be without some of the players we have now...in which case, I know who I’d rather have
  • Options
    edited October 2018

kellycafc said:

Pretty sure that goal from corner crossed the line

100% crossed the line... Charlton tweeted saying they watched replays yet couldnt find issue with the goal
    Definitely crossed the line.
    The issue was the ref wasn't sure and the assistant ref was beyond useless. Had the ref not given a goal he knew he might be wrong so he blew for a non existent infringement to avoid that. If he wasn't sure, he couldn't give a goal though. I was in a good place and was sure it went in.

Barnsley were a bit disapointing. Not complaining though! They were athletic and tidy but that was about it. No way they are anyway near Wigan or Blackburn were last season - nowhere near!
  • Options
    What a nice surprise!

It was like being back in the sixties for me yesterday as I was unable to attend the game and found myself in an area with little or no mobile phone reception either.

When I got a text message through to @Len\'s_little_girl eventually to ask her the score she replied 2-0. Unfortunately she omitted to mention to whom! After Coventry, and given Barnsley's excellent start, I thought it was probably them but fortunately an hour or so later I was able to clarify matters with her.

I hope to be at the Oxford game on Tuesday. I just hope we can overcome the ex manager curse and give Karl Robinson's mob a pasting.

Pleased for Grant as some on here love to slate him forgetting that he is only just 21 despite making his debut back in 2014 (or early 2015) for the first team .
  • Options
    That winning feeling... 😁 #cafc

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Karlan

@karlangrant
    20h20 hours ago
    More
    What a win at home! Boys were excellent throughout as were the fans. We march on to Tuesday now #Cafc ⚽️
  • Options
    Lewis Page

Verified account

@LewisPage3
    21h21 hours ago
    More
    Big win big performance! Top result from the boys 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽 #CAFC
  • Options
    Patrick Bauer

@patrick5bauer
    22h22 hours ago
    More
    Name me a better duo than @lyletaylor90 & @karlangrant. I’m waiting... #CAFC #COYR
  • Options
    Joe Aribo

@J_Aribo19
    19h19 hours ago
    More
    Back to winning ways at The Valley🏠. Thanks for coming out to support us 🔴⚪ #CAFC

• Options
    Jason Pearce

Verified account

@jpearce05
    18h18 hours ago
    More
    Great team performance today, against a top side in this division. Thank you for the support. Now time to re focus for a tough one Tuesday. 🔴⚪️ #cafc #coyr #ontothenextone @k_andrewsphotos
  • Options
    Great match thread. Obviously the result helps but a bit Thank You to all who posted.
  • Options
    Certainly agree that our present position is a result of past incompetence,but we cant put back the clock and can only look forward.It is important that the office side is sorted out,but the priority is winning matches and the current squad need fear no one in this league.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

wmcf123 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Sarr back to being scape goat.

Think we've been leaky of late because we tried playing two left side predominant centre backs and an inexperienced RB at LB, then when we switched the experienced RB to LB and visa versa the inexperienced RB still struggled as he had a wrong sided centre back alongside him.

This is ignoring the games where we played an obviously injured player in defence too.

Coincidence I think so. if we get spanked in the next game despite Sarr not starting... I wonder if he'll still get blamed?

The real reason we've struggled? No strength in depth and too many injuries.

Notice how all so-called scapegoats are really shit
    Some of our scapegoats have gone on to play in the premier League whilst we continue to languish in League 1!
    That’s true with Pope but he was garbage for us . Delighted for him, nonetheless
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:

Dazzler21 said:

wmcf123 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Think we've been leaky of late because we tried playing two left side predominant centre backs and an inexperienced RB at LB, then when we switched the experienced RB to LB and visa versa the inexperienced RB still struggled as he had a wrong sided centre back alongside him.

This is ignoring the games where we played an obviously injured player in defence too.

Coincidence I think so. if we get spanked in the next game despite Sarr not starting... I wonder if he'll still get blamed?

Some of our scapegoats have gone on to play in the premier League whilst we continue to languish in League 1!
    That’s true with Pope but he was garbage for us . Delighted for him, nonetheless
    Simon Francis
  • Options
    purdis said:

Very happy after top performance against a very good Barnsley side.

Two key points that got us over the line, imho.

Firstly, reaching half time without conceding.
    Barnsley really had us on the ropes for a short spell just before half time - they switched play continuously, varied their play, went through the middle with some slick, short-passing, good movement with runners trying to draw defenders and all sorts - they broke down our shape and we were struggling - but hold on we did and that was pivotal for the win.

Secondly, the second goal which has so often eluded us and subsequently cost us in previous games. The goal came at a very good time and we pushed on from there and broke Barnsley’s spirit somewhat.

The pass from Ward to Karlan for the first goal was a delight to see, as was the finish as KAG still had a lot to do - the fact he can score with both feet is a major plus.

Thought Reeves struggled on the ball first half at times and Ward didn’t create a lot after the sublime pass. Cullen also stifled often by a quick pressing Barnsley midfield.
    However, it’s what they did off the ball that was vital - Solly and, especially Dijksteel were well supported on the flanks which prevented Barnsley inflicting the damage sustained from the wing to us by Coventry City in the previous home fixture.
    This was massive and when Barnsley tried going through the middle they hit a wall and the whole back four looked solid - even Lyle and KAG did their bit defensively.

Great pace and strength on the counter from the Addicks were the final pieces of the jigsaw, giving us a well-deserved win and a relatively comfortable victory, maybe could have been three or four by the end.

Bielik obviously made a huge difference at the back and Lyle is fastly becoming a Charlton cult hero as he has everything and the partnership with Karlan is quite special, plus Lyle has played a major part in bringing Karlan on - only last season I thought KAG would not make it as a player because his decision making was so poor but he is now a different player - his loan move will have helped plus he’s clearly responded to his mentors and his new partnership up front.

Lyle is, imho, the best signing since JBG, probably better but at this level and he is an absolute pleasure to watch - just hope he keeps his feet on the ground and carries on doing what he’s doing - Fosu was our superstar last season but something has been lost in his game since the new front two started to gel.

All very positive, anyway, but the biggest thing of all is that Bowyer has instilled a culture of hard work and never-say-die commitment in the squad - a squad that is easily good enough for promotion but the new work culture could be the missing link in getting us promoted - the squad is dangerously thin in certain areas and hopefully LB will be able to strengthen in the right areas in January.

There was an air of hope and happiness both during and after the game yesterday and a general feeling that this could be our time.

Finally, really felt for Naby Sarr yesterday as his omission from the starting eleven really must have got to him as his late arrival as sub for the cramp-ridden Bielik was almost a disaster - where his head was, I simply don’t know but he was like a rabbit in headlights whenever the ball got near him - he’s a lot better than that and it just goes to show how important confidence is at any level.

Excellent summary.
  • Options
    Thought he got an important header in defending a late corner that I'm not sure anybody else would have had the height to.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Dazzler21 said:

wmcf123 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Pope made the best (double) save I’ve ever seen at The Valley - absolute worldie against Burnley - which is why they subsequently signed him.
    His reflexes were a different level which is why Dyche bought him and developed him, having realised his potential that day at The Valley and why he went on to reach the England squad.

Only save I can recall being as good goes back to Charlie Wright’s finger tipped full length stretch to his left in the late 60’s - can’t remember who against.
  • Options
    Harry After. Elliott. Randolph. Shelvey.
  • Options

Harry After. Elliott. Randolph. Shelvey.

All half decent, at least, for us
  • Options
    Did the referee forget his vanishing spray yesterday?
  • Options

Only downside to the day was our lovely Labrador died yesterday morning aged 16. A good innings as they say but it was still a grim day oop North.

Oh, so sorry to hear that, Prince. Age 16 is a great long life and I am sure he was lucky to have you as an owner all that time.
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Wow! That was top 4 Premier League quality, there!