Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Southampton Student Union

Comments

• Options

BDL said:

BDL said:

My eldest son is in his second year at Southampton, says that the SOSU committee are all a bunch of cockwombles and he isn't surprised at the hole that has been dug.

My youngest son is studying history, albeit at a selective state school undertaking the national curriculum, and part of that course involved a trip to Ypres and Tynecot.

That trip must really bring it home to the kids.
    I went on the trip with my eldest a few years back, it shook the all up, one lad in particular was in absolute bits when he saw someone with his surname on the wall, they could have only been a couple of years older than him.

The school laid a wreath at an un-named soldiers grave and, to a boy, they all stood and listened to the teacher as he gave his speech. I think they got it.

It always upsets me when you hear how young the lads were who went to fight in WW1. So many died and those who survived were haunted by what they saw - my grandfather could never really discuss it.

For kids to go there and see the scale of the slaughter brings it home in a way reading about it never could.

What’s surprised me when I’ve walked around the cemeterys, is how many older guys were involved as well. Lots of graves with guys well into their 30’s (and some older than that)
  • Options

BDL said:

BDL said:

My eldest son is in his second year at Southampton, says that the SOSU committee are all a bunch of cockwombles and he isn't surprised at the hole that has been dug.

My youngest son is studying history, albeit at a selective state school undertaking the national curriculum, and part of that course involved a trip to Ypres and Tynecot.

I went on the trip with my eldest a few years back, it shook the all up, one lad in particular was in absolute bits when he saw someone with his surname on the wall, they could have only been a couple of years older than him.

The school laid a wreath at an un-named soldiers grave and, to a boy, they all stood and listened to the teacher as he gave his speech. I think they got it.

It always upsets me when you hear how young the lads were who went to fight in WW1. So many died and those who survived were haunted by what they saw - my grandfather could never really discuss it.

For kids to go there and see the scale of the slaughter brings it home in a way reading about it never could.

I think whats most shocking isnt just the age but the eagerness of some of them

Granted they wouldnt have known how long / costly the war was going to be but currently reading Lyn MacDonalds; 1914: the Days of Hope and you had trumpeters within the Royal Artillery who went as a Group and pleaded to the Colonel to let them go out to France - I dont know much about the artillery (which is bad because my Great-Grandad was part of it in WW1) but apparently they were a little bit looser with the rules and these lads were told they could go provided they got written permission from parents, one lad forged his Father's signature because he was out in India which meant there was the risk of missing out

Ultimately was just one big adventure to these kids who seemingly didnt care or take stock to think of the consequences of what might happen

I was only 10 when one Great-Grandad died so cant be too harsh on myself yet found out a little while ago that he was wounded, came home, returned to France after a break and saw out the War - Now I love history and love reading about the Great War / World War Two, and I know for a fact that my biggest regret to my dying day will be that I didnt sit down with him about his experiences as according to my Dad he was quite happy to talk about what happened to him
  • Options
    Gammon ---Gammon o dear o dear Leuths utter bollox hits a new low
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Having just got to this thread and just seen what she'd said, I have a sneaking suspicion that she didn't know it was a WWI mural.

This is the sort of slightly faux feminism I dislike - rushed and clamouring to be intersectional as much as possible, with little to no research. It seems a little disingenuous to tweet that into what would usually be an echo chamber.

Feminism is absolutely necessary and I'm definitely proud to be feminist, but bloody hell, it would be nice if people thought before they spoke and tweeted. It's like when people use false statistics to back up a point we know is true. To paraphrase a friend who put it far better than I could:

"{We need to] publish proper research and factually accurate reports of those studies [ed: in this case, into under-reporting of sexual assault]. Not doing so seriously undermines feminism as an academic enterprise, and as a movement which relies on these studies to justify its cause.

It essentially gives the world good reason to discredit what feminists say."

------------------------------

And what we have after this tweet is somewhat justified outrage and oh it's all a mess and I hate it

I hope she didn’t know what it was but, judging by an earlier tweet which she has now deleted which mentioned Armistice Day, I am not so sure.

• Options

BDL said:

BDL said:

Granted they wouldnt have known how long / costly the war was going to be but currently reading Lyn MacDonalds; 1914: the Days of Hope and you had trumpeters within the Royal Artillery who went as a Group and pleaded to the Colonel to let them go out to France - I dont know much about the artillery (which is bad because my Great-Grandad was part of it in WW1) but apparently they were a little bit looser with the rules and these lads were told they could go provided they got written permission from parents, one lad forged his Father's signature because he was out in India which meant there was the risk of missing out

Ultimately was just one big adventure to these kids who seemingly didnt care or take stock to think of the consequences of what might happen

I was only 10 when one Great-Grandad died so cant be too harsh on myself yet found out a little while ago that he was wounded, came home, returned to France after a break and saw out the War - Now I love history and love reading about the Great War / World War Two, and I know for a fact that my biggest regret to my dying day will be that I didnt sit down with him about his experiences as according to my Dad he was quite happy to talk about what happened to him
    Interesting that you mentioned Lyn MacDonald a very good mate of mine done a lot of research for her in the early 80s.
    She sent him the names and addresses of 1st world one survivors and he went to their homes and interviewed them on tape.
    She used their stories in her books.
    He is a life long Charlton supporter as well.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

Gammon ---Gammon o dear o dear Leuths utter bollox hits a new low

Gammon has been used for years by cyclists to refer to Addison Lee cabbies and White van men - frustrated, fat and pink, sat in their tin boxes in traffic just looking for an excuse to take out their frustration at their lot in life on someone. It's not a new thing.

In fact, as a cyclist, I resent this cultural misappropriation of a cycling term. Leuth, you should be ashamed
  • Options
    edited October 2018

BDL said:

BDL said:

Interesting that you mentioned Lyn MacDonald a very good mate of mine done a lot of research for her in the early 80s.
    She sent him the names and addresses of 1st world one survivors and he went to their homes and interviewed them on tape.
    She used their stories in her books.
    He is a life long Charlton supporter as well.
    Very big fan of Lyn's books (partly for the soldiers stories)... Have got them all on my Kindle, purchased 1914 only yesterday

Love the little things like when the 2nd Rifle Brigade come third in an Annual competition based who has the best skills etc. and that they would be preparing to try and do better at the Royal Tournament in 1915 - These days when you think about that year you instantly think of Loos or Gallipoli, back then before the war came along, 1915 was just another year, always find that odd to think about
  • Options
    The overreaction to this stupid tweet is ridiculous. She's a stereotypical attention seeking student ffs. People need to get a sense of proportion.
  • Options

The overreaction to this stupid tweet is ridiculous. She's a stereotypical attention seeking student ffs. People need to get a sense of proportion.

"The overreaction to this stupid tweet is ridiculous."

"She's a stereotypical attention seeking student"

Slight contradiction there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

BDL said:

BDL said:

This is a really poignant point. When I went to the graves we were told about 16 year olds lying about their age just so they could join up and get on the front line. We were all teens at the time and it really hit home.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    *Edit* Someone already did the joke.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

addick05 said:

Because I feel like biting a little bit... What I dont understand is the fact that surely these people whether they're from the Southampton / Cambridge Student Union had relatives who either fought or died in either WW1 or WW2

I know it shouldnt instantly make you a sympathiser to the Wars and if you have have issues with the whole Poppy of Rememberance etc. then fair enough - Yet for me I know I have family who both died and came back from both Wars and if I were to come out with that sort of comment then I would feel a measure if disrespect towards my ancestors

Unless of course these kids are failing to see the wider picture and arent aware of family who took part in the conflicts

Maybe if history was actually taught in schools today then this sort of crap from someone who is supposed to be earning a degree (and probably landing herself with about £40,000 of debt which she will probably never pay off) might not occur? Bet her lefty snowflake parents are really proud of her. Hopefully the majority of the people of this country aren't!
    History is taught in schools FFS
    The big argument is over what the school curriculum should cover but it surely has to cover WW1 and WW2 in some depth.

Any history teachers or parents on here who know what the secondary syllabus is likely to cover at present?
    Yes, and it covers WW1 and WW2.

As I said above my son, 19, is at Uni reading history. He and everyone else in his state, non-selective schools studied history in primary and secondary school.
    For balance I left 6th form in 2012 so not all that long ago. I studied history up to A level (A*) and didn't once in secondary school cover ww1 or ww2. All of my knowledge of those conflicts comes form the foundations in primary school and my own interest/research. We covered all sorts of topics such as medieval Britain, medicine through time, chairman Mao's china, history of modern Britain (51-07) but nothing on ww1 or ww2.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

"The overreaction to this stupid tweet is ridiculous."

"She's a stereotypical attention seeking student"

Slight contradiction there
    Ok I'll try again (final edit😀)

She's a stereotypical, politically active, attention seeking student.
  • Options

Why has nobody heeded Keith Gammons warning of another shot of ultimate gammonness from across the bows?

• Options
    stonemuse said:

PaddyP17 said:

Having just got to this thread and just seen what she'd said, I have a sneaking suspicion that she didn't know it was a WWI mural.

This is the sort of slightly faux feminism I dislike - rushed and clamouring to be intersectional as much as possible, with little to no research. It seems a little disingenuous to tweet that into what would usually be an echo chamber.

Feminism is absolutely necessary and I'm definitely proud to be feminist, but bloody hell, it would be nice if people thought before they spoke and tweeted. It's like when people use false statistics to back up a point we know is true. To paraphrase a friend who put it far better than I could:

"{We need to] publish proper research and factually accurate reports of those studies [ed: in this case, into under-reporting of sexual assault]. Not doing so seriously undermines feminism as an academic enterprise, and as a movement which relies on these studies to justify its cause.

And what we have after this tweet is somewhat justified outrage and oh it's all a mess and I hate it

I hope she didn’t know what it was but, judging by an earlier tweet which she has now deleted which mentioned Armistice Day, I am not so sure.

Oh. Then she's a wanker who does absolutely no good for feminism. Fuck sake.
  • Options
    This is more like it: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-45979234

Can't cover up history, better to address it I say
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Ridiclulous.

• Options

McBobbin said:

Ridiclulous.

Really? Better than just bleating about it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

This whole having/wanting to apologise for something that occurred generations ago and that yields no responsibility on the current people/institutions, let alone taking the decision to use funds to benefit a select race who are unrelated to that time, over the needs of other currently equally disadvantaged children.

Absolute cock custard and bloody offensive, in my opinion.

Agree to an extent, clearly nobody alive is directly affected... But because of the shitty things that happened that were well ok by the norms of the day, much cash was made... And people dont start from the same line. As for apologies, watch some videos of Michael Sandel talking about justice. He knows more than me. He's the real deal.
  • Options

This whole having/wanting to apologise for something that occurred generations ago and that yields no responsibility on the current people/institutions, let alone taking the decision to use funds to benefit a select race who are unrelated to that time, over the needs of other currently equally disadvantaged children.

Absolute cock custard and bloody offensive, in my opinion.

Cock custard eh?
  • Options
    My earlier post got deleted, I assume for the c word, but she’s still a virtual signalling, ignorant, self loathing c***
  • Options
    And, I’m thinking of starting a petition to remove any murals that depict the the struggle against apartheid in South Africa, that don’t include white peoples faces, as they played a part as well.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Do you find that being a feminist helps you get more fanny?
  • Options
    edited October 2018

state of it
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    DA9 said:

And, I’m thinking of starting a petition to remove any murals that depict the the struggle against apartheid in South Africa, that don’t include white peoples faces, as they played a part as well.

What murals are you referring to? Ones in your imagination to feel indignant about? Or do you have some specific ones in mind?
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited October 2018

DA9 said:

What murals are you referring to? Ones in your imagination to feel indignant about? Or do you have some specific ones in mind?
    None that I know of personally, but as sure as eggs are eggs, there will be some, and the point I am making is that I would not be indignant about any that do exist, this student idiot clearly has a one way agenda
  • Options

Missed It said:

Bloody twitter. I long for the good old days when you could talk as much bollocks as you liked with your mates and they'd just call you a twat and make you get the next round in. Now anybody's malformed halfwit opinion is there to be splattered all over the internet for the entire planet to marvel at.

Modern life is rubbish. (That's my idiot opinion for you all to enjoy anyway!)

Blur thought this in 1993...
    But There's no other way ?
  • Options
    DA9 said:

DA9 said:

None that I know of personally, but as sure as eggs are eggs, there will be some, and the point I am making is that I would not be indignant about any that do exist, this student idiot clearly has a one way agenda
    Mural painting of Ruth First in Sowato @DA9