Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2019

He could have also appointed a yes man manager in the summer, sold BFG, not signed Taylor, disband the u23s etc etc he didn't.

Because Roland is an arse doesn't make everything he does bad. This isn't aimed at you @Airman Brown it just happens to be your tweet I am quoting. The RD situation is similar to a reverse of the Corbyn attack dogs on twitter, no one can give him any credit for anything with out being attacked on here. Everything that goes wrong is his fault. I am waiting for someone to suggest he stopped Bristol City signing another striker tbh.

I don’t really understand your point. He is damaging the club (his asset) every week he remains and now he has allowed a situation which makes its future still more precarious because the chances of promotion have been reduced. In lieu of any executive management that is entirely down to him.

I agree that the detail of what happens in the transfer window is not necessarily down to him. It may even be that Bowyer and Gallen misjudged the situation, because after all they are not vastly experienced in transfer dealings and have no one around them who is as support. But I do know that maximising the team’s chances of automatic promotion is in everyone’s interest, including Duchatelet.

Since Eisa was a loan deal there is no evidence that he was prepared to invest even a couple of hundred thousand of the Grant cash in making that outcome more likely. Instead his priority was evidently to claw back more of this season’s operating loss. That is foolish, in my view, and the fact that he hasn’t done other foolish things such as those you mention doesn’t change that.

There is a real risk that the club falls off a cliff at the end of the season and if that happens he will lose out financially as well as us losing out as fans. Be very clear, the club cannot cut its way to break even. There is no equilibrium point. It can only bleed itself to death.

I agree totally with everything you said, but isn't the real, current, football issue that we don't have an owner who is prepared to pump 10s of millions of pounds into the club. Not the fact that the owner is RD?

Yes lots of things in his gift aren't right, no fit for purpose ceo for 5 years doesn't help, no director of football, the lack of day to day managment etc. As you say we can't break even, outside of the prem, under any circumstances.

If he sold tomorrow, as fans, we would actually want a new owner that INCREASED the annual losses in the short term, to maybe reduce them in the medium term, to possibly even make a small profit somewhere down the line. Not a lot to ask is it.

Fair questions. I've worked in biz all my life so I 'm certainly not one of those fans of any club who think there's a magic money tree. And I also accept that Fan ownership is almost impossible unless virtually every club has the same system, as in Germany.

As to what an owner should actually do right now, it's difficult to give a business-like answer when the key numbers are shrouded in mystery. What we do know is that AFCW have a total running cost budget of £4m, while Andy Holt I think says his budget is half that. We on the other hand keep being told that RD 'pumps ina Million a month'. Despite @Airman Brown best efforts nobody really knows the true running costs at present but it sounds like they might be £8m. So if you look at the recent Accrington game from a business POV, your conclusion must surely be that the money is being deployed incompetently.

Of course it's going to take time for a new owner to make it more sustainable, but what we are getting mad about here is that one way to get there is to increase revenue. how? By getting promotion of course. And he has just shafted that prospect. It makes no sense.

AFCW play in a former non-league ground and I doubt Accrington have upgraded much since they were in a similar position, while we have a capacity of 27k in an ex-premiership stadium with additional costs that come with that and we run a 2nd tier academy, have extensive scouting network and crazily have players on above average Championship wages. No way we could run a budget of £2m or even £4m, without closing the academy, East Stand and making cuts that would make Phillip Hammond seem beneficial.
  • Options
    IR94 said:

Any chance of a free agent coming in? some decent ones available Jay Simpson, Gounongbe, Anchiebe

Has the loan window closed as well.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Scoham said:

Simonsen said:

That's bollocks.

Clarke wasnt going to play. Parker will.

Only formation we’ve got the players to do is Robbo’s or 4-3-3 now. Roland please just have a cardiac already.

We’ll stick with the diamond with Igor or Parker in Grant’s place. We don’t have enough wide players to regularly play with wingers.
    I was more looking overall not just this weekend. If we play 4231 or 433 we have two for every position.

I’m just trying to be positive to be fair.
    That’s also the case for the 442 diamond. Can’t see Bowyer switching to a 1 striker formation, just isn’t his preference and I think we’re better for it.
    Totally agree. Bowyer won't play only 1 up front again, unless there's no other option.

At Posh, didn't we start with 4-2-3-1 with only Karlan up front on his own, before bringing Reeeco alongside him mid-2nd half reverting to diamond? And looking much more dangerous after.

We'll see Parker pencilled in to play in tandem with Taylor.
    Perhaps Igor, if he's ever fit enough, or Fosu at a pinch.

Left field view: Parker has hold up play in his game too.
    Perhaps could also cover Taylor, if necessary?

• Options

IR94 said:

Any chance of a free agent coming in? some decent ones available Jay Simpson, Gounongbe, Anchiebe

That closed at 11pm last night. We can now only sign out of contract players now.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

Oggy Red said:

24 Goals in 150 odd appearances for his clubs apparently, Parker is proper Charlton with those numbers

Yeah, but his played most of his games as a winger.
    Wikki says he's a midfielder!
    In the modern game, wingers are usually classified as midfielders.

• Options
    Bowyer on Gallen's role & the signing of Parker.
    “Steve recommended him and he became available. I trust Steve, he hasn’t let us down yet if you look at the recruitment that we’ve got so far.

“You have to look in the situation where we were it was difficult because there aren’t many strikers out there and everyone wants to hold onto their strikers and their best players and last night was a difficult situation. We tried so hard to bring in more.

“We had someone at their ground waiting to sign but they needed papers to bring someone else in before he could go. We can’t control that. We have a budget and we can’t go and buy a striker for £1.5m or whatever Sunderland has just paid. We don’t have that budget. We have what we have and we’re doing well with that.

“What we do have though is a togetherness, that’s the whole club and that makes a lot of difference. So for me I’m still optimistic and I’m still happy and we have to stick together. What I do know is with the squad I have and the fans, we’re still going to be a force. Nothing is going to change.”
  • Options
    No word of loans for our youngsters. Can they join non-league after the window closes?
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

The only surprise to me is that some people are surprised. This is classic Charlton in the Duchatelet era.

I remember doing an interview with Jim White (from the Roland Out taxi) the day after Slade was sacked. I said then that it didn’t really matter who came in as manager because under Duchatelet they would never really be allowed to be successful. Bowyer has done brilliantly for us and he deserved the proper support to get this club back into the Championship. Our chances of achieving that have just taken a massive blow. If we fall just that bit short of promotion again this season I think he’ll be off and none of us could blame him.

There’s been a few posts recently along the lines of “Duchatelet isn’t so bad really” and “at least he’s funding the club”. That’s all bollocks. While he’s still here we are in decline, despite the good work done by Bowyer, Gallen, Jacko, and the lads.

The surprise this time is that we were on the cusp of actually achieving something against all the odds under Roland. It ain't over yet but again he's cut off his nose to spite his face an the fans.
  • Options

I fear the final part of the season may be a struggle now, and momentum has been lost. All of our rivals have 'increased' their squads, look at Luton for arguments sake, and if they haven't increased numbers they have strengthened in the right areas. We let Ajose go out on loan, sell Grant, Igor is made of glass, RH-F is still learning his trade, Taylor out for 2 more games, Ward goes back to Forest is replaced by Williams, Purrington was needed as Page is still out and Maxwell replaced Steer. What did we do to strengthen up-front? We got Josh Parker from the Gills, who has hardly been tearing up trees. I hope he does well, because he will need to hit the ground running tomorrow, with Taylor still out for 2 more games.
    To me RD has now shown his hand yet again, best thing he SHOULD do now is sell and go, not keep saying he is going to and nothing happens.
    Also gotta say if we had put all our hopes in getting Mo Eisa, we should have had a Plan B and a Plan C, it seems we skipped both of those completely.
    Very disappointed in the outcome, but then why am I surprised after all its RD. I hope to be proved so wrong, but I fear we may struggle to keep up now, especially if Taylor gets two more yellows, he will be suspended again!! What a joke of an owner.

God do we need a win tomorrow to raise morale.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

IR94 said:

That closed at 11pm last night. We can now only sign out of contract players now.
    Thanks James.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If we had signed him straight from Red Star Belgrade, fans would be drooling.
  • Options

No word of loans for our youngsters. Can they join non-league after the window closes?

I believe they will,as they go out on youth loans. Quite a few are out of contract soon or at end of season so they will be wanting to have as many playing as possible.
  • Options

I believe they will,as they go out on youth loans. Quite a few are out of contract soon or at end of season so they will be wanting to have as many playing as possible.
    They will need match practice as they will be playing for us next season.
  • Options

I fear the final part of the season may be a struggle now, and momentum has been lost. All of our rivals have 'increased' their squads, look at Luton for arguments sake, and if they haven't increased numbers they have strengthened in the right areas. We let Ajose go out on loan, sell Grant, Igor is made of glass, RH-F is still learning his trade, Taylor out for 2 more games, Ward goes back to Forest is replaced by Williams, Purrington was needed as Page is still out and Maxwell replaced Steer. What did we do to strengthen up-front? We got Josh Parker from the Gills, who has hardly been tearing up trees. I hope he does well, because he will need to hit the ground running tomorrow, with Taylor still out for 2 more games.
    To me RD has now shown his hand yet again, best thing he SHOULD do now is sell and go, not keep saying he is going to and nothing happens.
    Also gotta say if we had put all our hopes in getting Mo Eisa, we should have had a Plan B and a Plan C, it seems we skipped both of those completely.
    Very disappointed in the outcome, but then why am I surprised after all its RD. I hope to be proved so wrong, but I fear we may struggle to keep up now, especially if Taylor gets two more yellows, he will be suspended again!! What a joke of an owner.

God do we need a win tomorrow to raise morale.
  • Options
    I'd like to see Bowyer give Fosu a few games. We know what the lad can do and he has shown it against Gillingham this season. Give him a chance to find his form.
  • Options
    A lot of players had their contracts cancelled yesterday, which means they can sign for other clubs. Not saying we will, but you never know
  • Options
    ross1 said:

A lot of players had their contracts cancelled yesterday, which means they can sign for other clubs. Not saying we will, but you never know

It's not that we've never done that before, is it?

Expect a free agent or 2 to rock up on trial next week, perhaps?

• Options
    we are open and looking at Free agents. I am very ITK right now
  • Options

I'd like to see Bowyer give Fosu a few games. We know what the lad can do and he has shown it against Gillingham this season. Give him a chance to find his form.

It's not a question of him finding his form, it's playing him in the right position, He is not a number 10 but could be quite effective alongside Taylor as he has similar attributes to Grant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't think our season is over by any means, but i do think this limits us to the Play-Offs, we've just not got the depth to compete with Sunderland, Barnsley & Portsmouth. I'll be honest i don't know what depth Luton have, but they appear unbeatable at the minute...
  • Options

Would happily take Darren Bent anyway. The guy can score goals. Granted his record lately isnt what it once was but you just dont lose it.

Bowyer gets the best out of players and maybe Bent will need some good man management to make him a valuable asset.

We don't need an unfit overweight player.
    Is he overweight? I imagine he will be unfit.

This isnt boxing, there is no weight class. He's 34 and he wont be the Bent of old but his experience could be a difference.

If he just sat his "overweight" arse in the box and picked up couple of match winners, id be happy with that.

Could change your name to hoof_it_up_to_fatty?
    I'd rather remember him in his prime. If he came back to do a JFH impersonation it would ruin the memories.

Dazza seems to be carving out a career in the media.
  • Options

for what it's worth, I thought Parker had a very good game against us last year when they turned us over on New Years Day. Yes we are fucked off , but Bowyer has developed a seige mentality within the squad, let's hope he can keep that up, he has also developed a feel good factor with the fans. Don't let this ruin that, and what I mean by that is a the first bad result everyone going mental, we have to see how this pans out over the next month, when we get Taylor, Aribo and Pearce back, if it then really goes belly up , I will be the first screaming blue murder, but right now Bowyer deserves us the fans to give him and the players the backing we have done so far this season. This is my club , my team and I will continue to support them and the badge.

Spot on.
  • Options
    The annoying thing is that the performances were improving and there seemed to be a belief amongst fans that we could go up automatically and were getting behind the team. Will be at the Southend game , first game for ages and am hoping not to see tennis balls or plastic ducks thrown onto the pitch ...
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

Davo55 said:

The only surprise to me is that some people are surprised. This is classic Charlton in the Duchatelet era.

I remember doing an interview with Jim White (from the Roland Out taxi) the day after Slade was sacked. I said then that it didn’t really matter who came in as manager because under Duchatelet they would never really be allowed to be successful. Bowyer has done brilliantly for us and he deserved the proper support to get this club back into the Championship. Our chances of achieving that have just taken a massive blow. If we fall just that bit short of promotion again this season I think he’ll be off and none of us could blame him.

There’s been a few posts recently along the lines of “Duchatelet isn’t so bad really” and “at least he’s funding the club”. That’s all bollocks. While he’s still here we are in decline, despite the good work done by Bowyer, Gallen, Jacko, and the lads.

The surprise this time is that we were on the cusp of actually achieving something against all the odds under Roland. It ain't over yet but again he's cut off his nose to spite his face an the fans.
    We still have the chance of achieving something. This group of players have a great togetherness.
  • Options
    Yes I’d like to see fosu up top with Taylor
  • Options
    We need to limp through until Taylor is back. Think we will drop points until then but as long as we stay right in contention I think the top six is the best we can do anyway. Thought top two was doubtful before Grant departed.

Let’s get through to the playoffs and be positive we can win it this time. We certainly have the players to do it even without Karlan and Clarke.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

It's not a question of him finding his form, it's playing him in the right position, He is not a number 10 but could be quite effective alongside Taylor as he has similar attributes to Grant.
    I wouldn't say he is that similar. For me, he is much more skillful and harder to knock off the ball. Whilst being no slouch, he lacks Grant's electric pace. He isn't really a striker, but a goal scoring attacking midfielder. The problem is, it is pointless to replace Grant with him or Parker, they have their own games and the team has to fit around them. I agree, finding the role that works for him in the team is key.

I feel he could be trying a bit too hard this season, where it all seemed so natural last. That and defenders may have wised up to the fact he always wants to set up his right foot. In the first half at home to Gills he was unplayable in Bowyer's own words. Cometh the hour?
  • Options
    I think Marshall shouldn’t be overlooked. He’s looked ok in his recent cameos.
  • Options
    I think Parker up front with Taylor will do fine. Bowyer knows what he is doing.