Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Now this is a pay rise!!

Comments

• Options
    Hopefully she can donate to gambling and addiction charities.

Surprised she only takes £265m - why stop there?
  • Options
    She owns half of the company - unless they need to recycle the excess cash flow back into the business or make acquisitions, there isn’t much choice but to pay it out in dividends/remuneration or buy back shares.
  • Options
    Always judge a man by the company he keeps...
  • Options
    Weird. I do a lot of accounting but have to confess I have limited experience of charities accounting. It seems like that's just a massive investment vehicle with a charity attached. It's got £186m of funds/Investments, but spent £6 million in the year on charitable activities. Not criticising as £6million in charitable donations is great, just never realised how much cash these charities would keep in reserve.
  • Options

Never seen a skint bookie....

Here's one
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Weird. I do a lot of accounting but have to confess I have limited experience of charities accounting. It seems like that's just a massive investment vehicle with a charity attached. It's got £186m of funds/Investments, but spent £6 million in the year on charitable activities. Not criticising as £6million in charitable donations is great, just never realised how much cash these charities would keep in reserve.
    The goal I assume is to enable them to make a certain annual grant target in perpetuity - depending on investment returns, ongoing top-ups etc this may only allow say 5% pa grants.

Some benefactors like to give it all away in their lifetimes (personal choice not necessarily in the beneficiaries’ best long term interest).
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Huskaris said:

All of that money is irrevocably held in trust and earns income to be redistributed to worthy causes - yes an investment vehicle but with ALL income being used for good causes. The fund will continue to accumulate significant reserves and will be used as the vehicle for Denise on her career after she finishes with bet365 - she will then full-time hands-on run the foundation.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    bobmunro said:

Huskaris said:

All of that money is irrevocably held in trust and earns income to be redistributed to worthy causes - yes an investment vehicle but with ALL income being used for good causes. The fund will continue to accumulate significant reserves and will be used as the vehicle for Denise on her career after she finishes with bet365 - she will then full-time hands-on run the foundation.
    Yeah I understand the motive as charities can't make a distibutable profit. If anything it shows how much of a long term ambition it is for her and that's a great thing.

A real chance for her to leave a positive legacy amongst all the misery the industry creates.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All that dough and they wouldn’t lay a bet , very strange outfit bet £3.65 , or did they not spot I was one of the worlds worse gamblers .

FairPlay to her and her family’s generosity to good causes , long may it continue.
  • Options

Always judge a man by the company he keeps...

Bang out of order comment
  • Options
    When the fun stops, stop
  • Options

iainment said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46289499

£48m more than she was paid in 2017 and in 2017 she earned £217m

Earned?
    No one earns that much. She's a bookie, they take money from idiots. Any other walk of life would call it stealing.
    Well yes she has earned it, she's built a company up from nothing over 20 years, had the foresight to predict the future success of online gambling and is now a billionaire. If it was that easy, i'm sure others would've done it. Good luck to her.

Also no one seems to have mentioned (apart from @bobmunro) that she also gave £75 million to charity last year.
    If i earned 250m+ a year, i wouldnt worry about giving 75m to charity in order to be able deflect and say what a kind generous person i am.
    What charity does she give it to, Gamblers Anonymous?
    Probably the last charity she would donate to.

I wouldn't bet on it though. :smiley:
  • Options
    Good luck to her. Private company so it’s profits not wages. Absolutely staggering that someone can earn £750k a day though!

Have a few general misgivings on the growth in gambling but it’s also good to see British owned companies be successful.

Hope she looks after friends @bobmunro :-)

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Wonder how big her payout will be when some rich Chinese company buys-out Bet365 entirely? Not too hard to guess.

2017 profits = £504M
    average PE of gaming stocks globally = 8x
    Because it is online and growing faster, I bet it could get 10x earnings, easily
    £5.04 billion company net worth
    Denise ownership share = 50.1%
    Net worth = £2.5 billion+, or $3.2B American.

This would make her, I believe, the richest "self made" (I use that term lightly) woman in the world. I had never heard of her until this post. Impressive.

• Options
    Currently being discussed on lbc nick ferrari
  • Options
    largest non government employer in Stoke/Staffordshire
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don't gamble generally, but I do the lottery and when the prize is huge, Euromillions.
    I am troubled by those who destroy their lives, and the lives of those around them by their gambling.
    Apropos the notion above about unintentional losses I would say my losses are actually intentional!
    By that I mean with Euromillions for example I am paying to 'legitimise' my fantasy of buying Charlton, or with the general lottery my fantasy of having a nice place for me and my family members.
    I am expecting to lose the money, but get some pleasure that somebody wins, and some good causes are supported. I know that I pay to make a daydream have a little more substance and hope, and the lotteries are cheap enough for me to enjoy my little dream.
    What does not do it for me is the rush of scratchcards, a finish to a race, the fall of a ball, the turn of a card, the whizz of a fruit machine. To me that kind of 'pleasure' is more likely to be stress.
    Anyway for that kind of personal validation or whatever I prefer a game of Chess.
  • Options

bobmunro said:

I have the great good fortune of calling this lady a close personal friend, and if you knew her then you would know that a) she gives a big chunk of that away, b) she works like no other person I have ever known and c) she has the most astute business brain of any one I've ever met, or am ever likely to meet.

As an employee and a friend naturally you will defend her and to be fair she sounds like a good woman. Just because it’s a betting firm doesn’t mean she has to give those amounts away so fair play to her for that.

But at the same time she earns so much because people give her that money. I have a particular dislike for Bet365 for personal reasons and you can’t pretend she is some god when thousands out there ruin there lives while she pays herself several million.
    That's not her fault though. She doesn't force people to bet, she doesn't force people to bet with money they can't afford nor does she force people to bet with her company.

If she and her company didn't exist i'd guess these people would find another company to bet with.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    iainment said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46289499

£48m more than she was paid in 2017 and in 2017 she earned £217m

Earned?
    No one earns that much. She's a bookie, they take money from idiots. Any other walk of life would call it stealing.
    Never mentioned by the hectoring press nor the jealous chatters but on a salary package of £220M she'd have paid just shy of £99M in income tax plus £444k NI and the employer wears another £30M of NI on top. £130M to the treasury, in one year - how many lifetimes would all the snipes have to work to equal that? Perspective anybody?
  • Options

bobmunro said:

I have the great good fortune of calling this lady a close personal friend, and if you knew her then you would know that a) she gives a big chunk of that away, b) she works like no other person I have ever known and c) she has the most astute business brain of any one I've ever met, or am ever likely to meet.

As an employee and a friend naturally you will defend her and to be fair she sounds like a good woman. Just because it’s a betting firm doesn’t mean she has to give those amounts away so fair play to her for that.

But at the same time she earns so much because people give her that money. I have a particular dislike for Bet365 for personal reasons and you can’t pretend she is some god when thousands out there ruin there lives while she pays herself several million.
    That's not her fault though. She doesn't force people to bet, she doesn't force people to bet with money they can't afford nor does she force people to bet with her company.

If she and her company didn't exist i'd guess these people would find another company to bet with.
    you can't get a bet with them though , they are a proper bucket shop in betting terms (it must be online where they make their dough) unless you back at shit odds (compared to betfair prices) or are a complete loser or even the type of loser they want !!
  • Options

bobmunro said:

I absolutely agree with all of that. However, betting companies do pry on the vulnerable. Any winners are quickly banned/restricted and the losers encouraged to lose more.

My point however is that is hard to praise a women and make out she is such a kind hearted person when a big chunk of her wealth comes from people losing more money than they can afford to. Of course it's not entirely her fault these people lose the money, but then if they didn't nobody would be discussing how much she gives to charity.
  • Options
    Fair play to her, 365 is my go to app when I fancy losing a score on an acca.

However I do think more has got to be done to regulate betting firms, some of the stories lately I heard on LBC are shocking, every day family men blowing the lot and then some because they’re uncontrollably hooked.
  • Options
    These companies that you mention have certainly got the measure of me.