Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sunderland Til I Die - Netflix

Comments

• Options
    Rrwatched season 1 in anticipation 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sunderland have 100% been putting off the release of this. For Netflix to continuously say they haven’t finalised a date is poor. It has to be from the club in fear of it derailing their season.
    I’m new to Netflix. Do those who have had it for ages recall another example of Netflix delaying a long- anticipated next series? Somebody wrote that they are generally very vague about such things, unlike the BBC. I think the producers said that it isnt a clear process.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Sunderland have 100% been putting off the release of this. For Netflix to continuously say they haven’t finalised a date is poor. It has to be from the club in fear of it derailing their season.
    I’m new to Netflix. Do those who have had it for ages recall another example of Netflix delaying a long- anticipated next series? Somebody wrote that they are generally very vague about such things, unlike the BBC. I think the producers said that it isnt a clear process.
    It's always a bit more "fluid" than say the BBC.  The obvious thing with the BBC is if they havent got thier program ready they have to show something else. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    They’re very guarded about their content plans and stats. They see no reason to be transparent about anything! 

They don’t hype up releases for months in advance, they tend to just drop it in there and promote it within the app because they know you’ll open it anyway. It’s only because there are supporters or journos with a vested interest in Sunderland that there’s any info out there at all on this one. They may delay stuff a lot, we wouldn’t know! I certainly don’t agree it’s poor to not set a release date. It’s their show, they’ll release it when they’re ready. 
  • Options
    Amazon prime seem to promote their new offerings more widely IE Al Pacino promoting Hunters X on the one show.
  • Options
    Amazon prime seem to promote their new offerings more widely IE Al Pacino promoting Hunters X on the one show.
    Isn't that because Amazon are aggressively chasing market share but NFs have a more mature customer base. 

Hunters does look good though! 
  • Options
    Hunters is great.

Netflix is loss making I hear so maybe they need to up their game.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    They’re very guarded about their content plans and stats. They see no reason to be transparent about anything! 

They don’t hype up releases for months in advance, they tend to just drop it in there and promote it within the app because they know you’ll open it anyway. It’s only because there are supporters or journos with a vested interest in Sunderland that there’s any info out there at all on this one. They may delay stuff a lot, we wouldn’t know! I certainly don’t agree it’s poor to not set a release date. It’s their show, they’ll release it when they’re ready. 
    Ah, but they have allowed it to be "out there" that the new series would/should drop in February. I believe the producers said this. There were links to articles quoting them on here, I will try to find them. I guess also the producers don't get paid -fully- until the show airs. The question being asked (and it may just be an amusing conspiracy theory) is whether they will release it when Sunderland are ready.

I just joined Netflix more or less by accident because I got a new TV where it was all heavily programmed in (Netflix button on the remote, etc). My 30 day trial ends 3 Mar. I planned to keep going , and expecting Sunderland to drop by now was one reason. The other one was to watch "Occupied S3" but for some reason it wasn't made available on Czech Netflix, so I had to end up watching it via my VPN on the laptop, despite being a subscriber. 90% of what they are offering me is US stuff which I have no interest in. I might as well tell them where to shove their subscription and download series 2 of Sunderland illegally, as I did with series 1. Which is also unfair on the creators and producers of the show. 

I thought Netflix was supposed to be this ultra-cool and consumer friendly company?
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Isn't that because Amazon are aggressively chasing market share but NFs have a more mature customer base. 

Hunters does look good though! 
    Yes that’s true. Amazon are playing catch up. They’re a few million customers behind Netflix (who had a blank canvas when they launched), and that’s even slightly fudged by people having Amazon Prime primarily for shopping rather than streaming. 

Netflix are levelling out somewhat in terms of customer numbers so it’s more about customer retention for them - and that means dropping films and shows onto the service as regularly as possible. And as Henry says, they’re spending a lot because they have to produce their own, rather than the historic subscription model of studio output deals.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Hunters is great.

Just a bit!  :):smile:

https://ig.ft.com/netflix-future/ (sorry this will be behind a paywall for some, some snippets below)

- 70% of revenue goes on content
    - 2019 budgetted to spend $3.5bn more than it will generate in cash
    - long term debt of $12bn.

I don't wish them to fail, and Sunderland may well drop tomorrow as suggested above, it being the first day of a new month. Just think they are not quite as cool as suggested, often by those who want to destroy the BBC and public service TV generally.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Meanwhile, sadly for BBC and ITV, BritBox isn’t doing so well. The churn on customers who took the free trial is huge and that’s quite telling. 

There’s no doubt that Netflix have helped change the landscape, but without the catalogue of content that Disney can boast, they‘ve got no choice but to spend big in order to catch up. They can’t rely on second hand studio content, especially if the studios pull that content. Which is what Sky Movies are facing next year. My bet is that in 12-18 Months’ time, Sky Movies and Sky Boxsets will be one thing. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Meanwhile, sadly for BBC and ITV, BritBox isn’t doing so well. The churn on customers who took the free trial is huge and that’s quite telling. 

There’s no doubt that Netflix have helped change the landscape, but without the catalogue of content that Disney can boast, they‘ve got no choice but to spend big in order to catch up. They can’t rely on second hand studio content, especially if the studios pull that content. Which is what Sky Movies are facing next year. My bet is that in 12-18 Months’ time, Sky Movies and Sky Boxsets will be one thing. 
    I never thought Britbox would work . Most people watch Netflix and Amazon for great looking new shows . Most of the stuff on Britbox isn’t in HD and has the old 4:3 ratio and looks terrible. 
  • Options
    The other issue with britbox is how you watch it, unlike things like Netflix and Amazon there is no app, its not available on smart tvs or PS4s unless u can via the web browser, which is easy enough to do but will also put people off, dunno why they didn't just release an app
  • Options
    Good point, Paulie. Presumably they will eventually. No doubt they’d have more than 300k subs or whatever it is if we saw an app on every device. I’ve not seen their. Intent selection but I’d assume it’s huge?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I don't really understand Britbox. I initially thought it would be a huge back catalogue of everything BBC & ITV have ever produced. I thought that Channel 4 being on board meant there'd be masses of comedy shows on there which otherwise are pretty hard to find online (I'm looking at you, Phoenix Nights) but now it seems that's not the case and instead it's just a compilation of everything currently on iPlayer and ITV Hub. Maybe I have it wrong though as I've not used it yet.

When I was a student I used https://learningonscreen.ac.uk/ondemand to watch old terrestrial stuff all the time. I'd certainly pay for that if I could.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I don't really understand Britbox. I initially thought it would be a huge back catalogue of everything BBC & ITV have ever produced. I thought that Channel 4 being on board meant there'd be masses of comedy shows on there which otherwise are pretty hard to find online (I'm looking at you, Phoenix Nights) but now it seems that's not the case and instead it's just a compilation of everything currently on iPlayer and ITV Hub. Maybe I have it wrong though as I've not used it yet.

When I was a student I used https://learningonscreen.ac.uk/ondemand to watch old terrestrial stuff all the time. I'd certainly pay for that if I could.
    There are some stuff not available elsewhere.

I have rewatched Hustle, been trying to find somewhere to watch it again for ages but it was not on Iplayer, and was nowhere else, I rewatched it during my 30 day free trial with britbox 
  • Options
    Hunters is great.

Off topic, but is Hunters worth a watch then HI?
  • Options
    I think so but Jews killing Nazis is always gonna be my thing.

It has some great 70s fashion and 70s soundtrack.

There's a bit of a comic book/US 70s TV pastiche to some of it but well produced and lots of plot lines running in parallel.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Britbox should be free for TV license holders anyway given it's content we've already paid to watch.

At least Netflix has new content not yet seen or paid for.
  • Options
    No need for Britbox with the BBC, most of it is reruns anyway, just wait long enough and you'll no doubt see your favourite episode of Homes Under the Hammer again. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Ah, but they have allowed it to be "out there" that the new series would/should drop in February. I believe the producers said this. There were links to articles quoting them on here, I will try to find them. I guess also the producers don't get paid -fully- until the show airs. The question being asked (and it may just be an amusing conspiracy theory) is whether they will release it when Sunderland are ready.

I just joined Netflix more or less by accident because I got a new TV where it was all heavily programmed in (Netflix button on the remote, etc). My 30 day trial ends 3 Mar. I planned to keep going , and expecting Sunderland to drop by now was one reason. The other one was to watch "Occupied S3" but for some reason it wasn't made available on Czech Netflix, so I had to end up watching it via my VPN on the laptop, despite being a subscriber. 90% of what they are offering me is US stuff which I have no interest in. I might as well tell them where to shove their subscription and download series 2 of Sunderland illegally, as I did with series 1. Which is also unfair on the creators and producers of the show. 

I thought Netflix was supposed to be this ultra-cool and consumer friendly company?
    Netflix is by the best online subscription option around, imo. The fact that you can even use a VPN to access their different content shows how cool and consumer friendly they are, of course production companies don't want them to allow it, which is exactly why they pretend to try and stop VPN usage.

The reality, as you know from trying to use iPlayer is that if they wanted to stop it, they could, however they'd lose a lot of customers, so don't.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Looking forward to this, but I somehow think it won’t be as enjoyable, if, when released we are in the relegation zone.
  • Options
    Stewart said:
    Looking forward to this, but I somehow think it won’t be as enjoyable, if, when released we are in the relegation zone.
    Yeah, the balloon’s been pricked a bit, hasn’t it?
  • Options
    I didn't want to say that when we beat Sunderland in the 98 play- off we started well but went down while Sunderland got promoted.
  • Options
    Netflix does not have overt adverts, like the BBC, so in that regard it is good.
  • Options
    I'm currently working my way through All or nothing: the Man city docu-series on prime.

I haven't a clue what old Pep is saying during his impassioned team talks, but it sounds good!
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I was trying to watch All or Nothing for research purposes but couldn’t get through it. I think it was directed by Leni Riefenstahl. 
  • Options
    We did some work on this show and as far as I'm aware a start date still hasn't been locked in. 
  • Options
    Oh cool, what work did you do?
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Netflix is by the best online subscription option around, imo. The fact that you can even use a VPN to access their different content shows how cool and consumer friendly they are, of course production companies don't want them to allow it, which is exactly why they pretend to try and stop VPN usage.

The reality, as you know from trying to use iPlayer is that if they wanted to stop it, they could, however they'd lose a lot of customers, so don't.
    I do have some trouble with Netflix and the VPN. But if I close the browser and restart the WiFi that seems to fix it. Is that what you mean..like a half-hearted effort at blocking? 

Anyway, has anyone heard anything more about "Sunderland"?