Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Gillingham | Sat 22 Dec | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Gillingham
Saturday 22nd December 2018 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Charles Breakspear (Surrey)

Introduction

December has always been an unforgiving month for Addicks on the pitch, as highlighted a few weeks ago our form at this time of year is abysmal to say the least yet as with many things at the moment, it feels that under Lee Bowyer we’re slowly turning a corner… Tomorrow we face Gillingham at the Valley and with six points from nine; this is another good chance to put pressure on our rivals above and below us.

The Opposition
Name: Gillingham | Manager: Steve Lovell
Ground: Priestfield Stadium

This Saturday its more or less a repeat of last weeks opposition – Of course Charlton v Gillingham isnt a derby because the Addicks aren’t a Kent club yet for many of its fans dotted around the North West of Kent and especially Medway it’s a game to look out for in the fixture list… Last season turned out to be a bit of shock though with Gillingham going on to record a league double against us for the first time in our histories.

As mentioned though, this isnt just a similar game to last week because we’re playing a team who are within close proximity to us – Its also the fact that we will potentially be welcoming back a number of ex-Addicks who have either signed at Charlton or who have come through the Youth Academy… Regan Charles-Cook is one of the latter and may well be a player that we could rue letting go, the young midfielder from Lewisham has so far made fourteen appearances for his new club scoring just the one goal in what is his first proper season at Football League level.

In terms of the season for the Gills its been a typical one that you’d expect for a club of their size – The start to the season was impressive with two wins in their first two games… Unfortunately for a while that was as good as it got for the Gills as they would then fail to win until October; Steve Lovell though has since steadied the ship and are now undefeated in three matches.

Charlton Team News
The one good thing about writing a late match preview is the fact it comes after Lee Bowyer’s press conference so there is a little less guessing over what team may run out – With Karlan Grant doing an autograph session in the superstore at 1:30pm tomorrow I think its safe to say that he’ll remain absent this weekend so will be another chance for Nicky Ajose to add to his impressive number of assists, his cross for our first goal against Wimbledon would take him up to seven (albeit six of those in cup competitions) for the season and so surpass Josh Cullen and Lyle Taylor in that area.

Also on the scoresheet on Saturday was Mark Marshall who may well be pushing for a start yet as so often of late my attention returns to Billy Clarke, having returned from injury, the Irish midfielder has been lacking match sharpness yet having missed the U23s clash against Ipswich in midweek could now be in line for a return to the first team substitutes bench at the very least.

Steer
Dijksteel | Bauer | Pearce | Solly
Aribo | Bielik | Reeves
Fosu
Taylor | Ajose

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Stevenson | Morgan | Clarke | Sarpong-Wiredu | Marshall | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
Last Saturday saw the Addicks putting in one of their most dominate performances of the season and we can imagine that Bowyer will be eager for more of the same, our next two Saturday fixtures come against Barnsley and Sunderland so we should take this opportunity to record maximum points whilst we can, those fixtures coming up wont be easy but lets start to put pressure on our rivals (above and below us) come 5pm tomorrow!!

Comments

• Options
    Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Options
    Son and brother will be there. Will be watching on I-Follow in Belgium. Wife not best pleased but hey ho. I think this will be a close game.

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Gillingham, like us, play a diamond formation. Of course Eaves is their best player and biggest threat, his goal scoring record this season is phenomenal. But just like Taylor is our biggest threat and our top scorer. It would be wise to consider the physical nature that Gillingham will bring. Although we often play good, attacking and passing football and use the pace of our attacking players, Gillingham usually use Eaves’ height and ability to hold up the ball to get play up the field a lot quicker. It’s this that we have to be careful of. We of course have to deal with Eaves, but we have got to make sure we don’t change the way we play, we must keep passing and moving, tire them out, find pockets of space where we can hurt them. Otherwise, it could be a long afternoon.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Marshall come in and start for this one as he deserves it and his willing running, and now that Bows has spoken to him about running in behind too, using his pace, could really benefit us. I hope that Clarke is also in the squad too of course. Now we know Pratley is back, he will likely come in for Sarpong-Wiredu. I would imagine Bowyer will be tempted to leave the side as it is and as @ForeverAddickted has put, the only change being Dijksteel for the suspended Sarr. Reeves will also start on the right of the diamond whilst Aribo on the left. Otherwise, no change from the original line up.

Charlton Athletic 3-1 Gillingham

Taylor, Ajose and Bauer for us

Eaves for Gillingham
  • Options
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/darren-pratley-set-to-hand-charlton-a-fitness-boost-but-duo-now-expected-to-miss-out/

Darren Pratley expected to be back tomorrow

Lapslie still has a touch of concussion it seems hence why he's not involved

“We were doing a little passing drill and George ended up slipping over where the pitch was so wet,” explained Bowyer. “He got up all dizzy and seeing stars. So that concussion still seems to be there a little bit.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Sage said:

Gillingham, like us, play a diamond formation. Of course Eaves is their best player and biggest threat, his goal scoring record this season is phenomenal. But just like Taylor is our biggest threat and our top scorer. It would be wise to consider the physical nature that Gillingham will bring. Although we often play good, attacking and passing football and use the pace of our attacking players, Gillingham usually use Eaves’ height and ability to hold up the ball to get play up the field a lot quicker. It’s this that we have to be careful of. We of course have to deal with Eaves, but we have got to make sure we don’t change the way we play, we must keep passing and moving, tire them out, find pockets of space where we can hurt them. Otherwise, it could be a long afternoon.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Marshall come in and start for this one as he deserves it and his willing running, and now that Bows has spoken to him about running in behind too, using his pace, could really benefit us. I hope that Clarke is also in the squad too of course. But I would imagine Bowyer will be tempted to leave the side as it is and as @ForeverAddickted has put, the only change being Dijksteel for the suspended Sarr. Reeves will also start on the right of the diamond whilst Aribo on the left. Otherwise, no change from the original line up.

Charlton Athletic 3-1 Gillingham

Taylor, Ajose and Bauer for us

Eaves for Gillingham

Have to admit in the build up to this game I cant get the sight of Eaves bully our Defence at the Valley last season

Thankfully it seems he only had to deal with Konsa | Sarr | Lennon | Dasilva in that game so will hopefully have a much tougher day having to face Bauer and Pearce this time around!!
  • Options
    Before we build them up too much, we should remind ourselves that we are a better team according to the league table and current form.
  • Options

Before we build them up too much, we should remind ourselves that we are a better team according to the league table and current form.

Agreed but they're a typical 'orrible nitty gritty team that we've so often slipped up against in the past

i.e. we dont see it as a Derby but like the Southend game I bet they see it as a good local game in the absense of any other Kent League teams and is a good chance to get one over us so will raise their performance
  • Options
    The tickets are slightly more expensive so we see it as a bigger game.
  • Options
    A festive kick in the bollox for all Addicks fans here I think...

0-1 to the lucky heather sellers
  • Options
    Another battle but we'll prevail in the end. 2-1.

If Blackpool and Sunderland both win we'll be just 5 points off top and open up a 6 point gap to 7th.

Big jump from where we were 3 games ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    You obviously see the team play more often than me FA, but can you explain why Reeves was brought in as a No. 10 and you have him wide and Fosu is a winger and he is playing No. 10. Thanks
  • Options
    We score early settle everyone's nerves and win comfortably.
    3.0 Charlton.
  • Options
    3 - 1 win.

Clarke gets a late third
  • Options
    2 -1 to us, as our class holds out in the end. Taylor and Ajose with one each.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    ross1 said:

You obviously see the team play more often than me, but can you explain why Reeves was brought in as a No. 10 and you have him wide and Fosu is a winger and he is playing No. 10. Thanks

I find that when Fosu plays he operates across the top of the diamond right behind the two Strikers so will often find himself out in the wide areas yet is ultimately the furthest forward of the Midfielders - With regards to Reeves I wouldnt say he's a defensive midfielder (I'd say its only Bielik that does that) but instead find that Reeves and Aribo will be the ones that'll either get forward to help out in attack yet will also drop back to help out the full-backs they're effectively having to cover.

I have to admit I've wanted to see Reeves as a No.10 more often in this formation, especially with Ward and Clarke not fit and Fosu not on form - We finally saw it against Portsmouth and thought it worked so hopefully with Pratley and Lasplie soon available we might see it again... Yet then again Ward is almost back to full fitness so maybe not
  • Options
    Eaves stamps on Taylors toe in the 2nd minute.
    We go on to win 2-1
    A brace for Marshall.
  • Options
    Another job to do. 3-1 to us. Lyle to nick two, Ajose the other. COYR!
  • Options
    another home win to boost morale (players and fans) and retain a play off place before a couple of potentially difficult but attractive games

CAFC 2 v Gillingham 0
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    There’s going to be goals I think . I’m going for a 3-2 win to The Addicks with a late winner from Pearce.
  • Options

If Blackpool and Sunderland both win we'll be just 5 points off top and open up a 6 point gap to 7th.

I remember we were on the verge of calling for bowyers head
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2018
    clb74 said:

You really are so annoying. Why can't you just refine your vitriol to that other forum and do one on this forum?
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Can't recall anyone who wanted him sacked
  • Options

clb74 said:

You really are so annoying. Why can't you just refine your vitriol to that other forum and do one on this forum?
    Bollox, I do promise myself to let it go and then think to myself if results hadnt gone our way in the last two games there would be dozens of posters on here still giving bowyer peltees.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Bollox, I do promise myself to let it go and then think to myself if results hadnt gone our way in the last two games there would be dozens of posters on here still giving bowyer peltees.
    You still owe me a pint
  • Options

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

You still owe me a pint
    I'm popping in tomorrow 72
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

You still owe me a pint
    I'm popping in tomorrow 72
    See you tomorrow mate
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!