Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Gillingham | Sat 22 Dec | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    So who's sneaking into The Valley tonight to remove the roof from the Jimmy Seed?
  • Options
    I felt it at the time and still feel that losing RCC will be one we regret (yes we offered him a new deal and he turned it down). I think he'd fit in well in just about any position in our diamond, and he has good technical ability. I'll be honest, I rate him much higher than I do Lapslie.
    Sage said:

Gillingham, like us, play a diamond formation. Of course Eaves is their best player and biggest threat, his goal scoring record this season is phenomenal. But just like Taylor is our biggest threat and our top scorer. It would be wise to consider the physical nature that Gillingham will bring. Although we often play good, attacking and passing football and use the pace of our attacking players, Gillingham usually use Eaves’ height and ability to hold up the ball to get play up the field a lot quicker. It’s this that we have to be careful of. We of course have to deal with Eaves, but we have got to make sure we don’t change the way we play, we must keep passing and moving, tire them out, find pockets of space where we can hurt them. Otherwise, it could be a long afternoon.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Marshall come in and start for this one as he deserves it and his willing running, and now that Bows has spoken to him about running in behind too, using his pace, could really benefit us. I hope that Clarke is also in the squad too of course. Now we know Pratley is back, he will likely come in for Sarpong-Wiredu. I would imagine Bowyer will be tempted to leave the side as it is and as @ForeverAddickted has put, the only change being Dijksteel for the suspended Sarr. Reeves will also start on the right of the diamond whilst Aribo on the left. Otherwise, no change from the original line up.

Charlton Athletic 3-1 Gillingham

Taylor, Ajose and Bauer for us

Eaves for Gillingham

It's a really good point about running in behind. Fosu's seemingly complete lack of interest in getting in behind has made us quite easy to defend against over the last 18 months. Ward also prefers to pull out wide or drop deeper. It makes it so that when one our center forward pulls out wide, we're left with only the other in the center, which is usually easy to mark. With the diamond, having the forwards split and having to 10 basically step in to the "9" spot can be really effective, and it's something we've missed. I know Marshall isn't really considered for that 10 role, but it would be interesting to see him deployed and what change that would mean.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

Another battle but we'll prevail in the end. 2-1.

If Blackpool and Sunderland both win we'll be just 5 points off top and open up a 6 point gap to 7th.

Big jump from where we were 3 games ago.

I remember we were on the verge of calling for bowyers head
    You really are so annoying. Why can't you just refine your vitriol to that other forum and do one on this forum?
    Bollox, I do promise myself to let it go and then think to myself if results hadnt gone our way in the last two games there would be dozens of posters on here still giving bowyer peltees.
    You still owe me a pint
    I'm popping in tomorrow 72
    Get bolloxbolder one as well. He needs to calm down.

• Options

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

If Blackpool and Sunderland both win we'll be just 5 points off top and open up a 6 point gap to 7th.

You really are so annoying. Why can't you just refine your vitriol to that other forum and do one on this forum?
    Bollox, I do promise myself to let it go and then think to myself if results hadnt gone our way in the last two games there would be dozens of posters on here still giving bowyer peltees.
    You still owe me a pint

His probably right
    Couple of people have had a dig today.
    Was talking to my aunt today as round there for Christmas dinner.
    Could hear me cousin in the background shouting
    Has the grinch got to come.
  • Options
    Should be a good game and a chance to cement a.position in the top 6. The Gills are coming into form though so it will not be easy, 2-2,exciting draw.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

You still owe me a pint

His probably right
    Apologise to bolloxbolder then.
  • Options
    we are making one of our rare visits to the Valley tomorrow, it must be better than our previous visit for the Fleetwood game
  • Options
    0-0
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I felt it at the time and still feel that losing RCC will be one we regret (yes we offered him a new deal and he turned it down). I think he'd fit in well in just about any position in our diamond, and he has good technical ability. I'll be honest, I rate him much higher than I do Lapslie.

Sage said:

Gillingham, like us, play a diamond formation. Of course Eaves is their best player and biggest threat, his goal scoring record this season is phenomenal. But just like Taylor is our biggest threat and our top scorer. It would be wise to consider the physical nature that Gillingham will bring. Although we often play good, attacking and passing football and use the pace of our attacking players, Gillingham usually use Eaves’ height and ability to hold up the ball to get play up the field a lot quicker. It’s this that we have to be careful of. We of course have to deal with Eaves, but we have got to make sure we don’t change the way we play, we must keep passing and moving, tire them out, find pockets of space where we can hurt them. Otherwise, it could be a long afternoon.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Marshall come in and start for this one as he deserves it and his willing running, and now that Bows has spoken to him about running in behind too, using his pace, could really benefit us. I hope that Clarke is also in the squad too of course. Now we know Pratley is back, he will likely come in for Sarpong-Wiredu. I would imagine Bowyer will be tempted to leave the side as it is and as @ForeverAddickted has put, the only change being Dijksteel for the suspended Sarr. Reeves will also start on the right of the diamond whilst Aribo on the left. Otherwise, no change from the original line up.

Eaves for Gillingham

It's a really good point about running in behind. Fosu's seemingly complete lack of interest in getting in behind has made us quite easy to defend against over the last 18 months. Ward also prefers to pull out wide or drop deeper. It makes it so that when one our center forward pulls out wide, we're left with only the other in the center, which is usually easy to mark. With the diamond, having the forwards split and having to 10 basically step in to the "9" spot can be really effective, and it's something we've missed. I know Marshall isn't really considered for that 10 role, but it would be interesting to see him deployed and what change that would mean.
    Never considered this before, but I am not sure he has the range of passing to play there. 4-2-3-1 with Marshall one of the 3 could work.
  • Options
    Exciting 3-2 win.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still don't like Solly as a left back....

But seeing as I was castigated on here last week for consistently saying we are going to lose (and we then usually go on to win) I'm going for a 2-0 home win.

So don't blame me when we go onto to lose......
  • Options

Still don't like Solly as a left back....

But seeing as I was castigated on here last week for consistently saying we are going to lose (and we then usually go on to win) I'm going for a 2-0 home win.

So don't blame me when we go onto to lose......

No I don't like the new Golfie. I much prefer the doom and gloom.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

SDAddick said:

Sage said:

Eaves for Gillingham

Never considered this before, but I am not sure he has the range of passing to play there. 4-2-3-1 with Marshall one of the 3 could work.
    You've said the verboten numbers!!!!!!

Yeah, a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 might be interesting. I can't see Bowyer doing it, and I can't blame him given we're in a good run of form, but given the players out injured it could be something like:

Dijksteel Bauer Pearce Solly
    ...................Bielik
    ............Reeves.....Aribo
    Marshall ....Taylor.....Fosu

It becomes a 4-2-3-1 when one of Reeves or Aribo pushes up. But I like starting Reeves a little deeper. I think he's looked much better ever since he moved to the right side of a midfield diamond. He now has three players in front of to play with, and him starting deeper allows him to get on the ball and dictate play and tempo.

Again, can't see this happening. Just an interesting thought experiment.
  • Options
    Non entity pikeys have sold barely over 1000. 2-0 Charlton
  • Options

Sage said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Marshall come in and start for this one as he deserves it and his willing running, and now that Bows has spoken to him about running in behind too, using his pace, could really benefit us. I hope that Clarke is also in the squad too of course. But I would imagine Bowyer will be tempted to leave the side as it is and as @ForeverAddickted has put, the only change being Dijksteel for the suspended Sarr. Reeves will also start on the right of the diamond whilst Aribo on the left. Otherwise, no change from the original line up.

Eaves for Gillingham

Have to admit in the build up to this game I cant get the sight of Eaves bully our Defence at the Valley last season

Thankfully it seems he only had to deal with Konsa | Sarr | Lennon | Dasilva in that game so will hopefully have a much tougher day having to face Bauer and Pearce this time around!!
    I’d have scored goals against that defence . I hate to say that as both or the starting full backs are evidently really good players
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Redrobo said:

SDAddick said:

Sage said:

Eaves for Gillingham

You've said the verboten numbers!!!!!!

Yeah, a 4-2-3-1/4-3-3 might be interesting. I can't see Bowyer doing it, and I can't blame him given we're in a good run of form, but given the players out injured it could be something like:

Dijksteel Bauer Pearce Solly
    ...................Bielik
    ............Reeves.....Aribo
    Marshall ....Taylor.....Fosu

It becomes a 4-2-3-1 when one of Reeves or Aribo pushes up. But I like starting Reeves a little deeper. I think he's looked much better ever since he moved to the right side of a midfield diamond. He now has three players in front of to play with, and him starting deeper allows him to get on the ball and dictate play and tempo.

Again, can't see this happening. Just an interesting thought experiment.
    I agree your team and that he is unlikely to go with it.

Looking back at 10 v 11 last week, he could be tempted with a back three and go 3-5-2. My preferred option.
  • Options
    When people talk about formations, the hardest teams to fathom are Liverpool and Man city because they just attack with 5 or 6 players including the full backs !
    For Cafc as long as we have 2 up front then the rest Can be decided by who's available.

3-1 if Taylor is fit, with Ajose, Fosu and Lyle on the score sheet.
  • Options
    Not got a good feeling for this one. We got away with our injuries last week against a dire Wimbledon side. I expect the Gills to offer more. They’re a bit of a bogie side for us at the mo, Eaves always plays well and in Regen and Brandon there’s a couple with a point to prove.

• Options
    clb74 said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

You still owe me a pint

His probably right
    Apologise to bolloxbolder then.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Christmas comes early for the pikeys.

1-2

• Options
    I thought there were signs of Fosu returning to form against Wimbledon. We need to speed that up as an in form Fosu is a major addition.
  • Options

Christmas comes early for the pikeys.

1-2

We ain’t gonna win
  • Options
    True the Gills have come into some form 3 wins and a draw for 4 games unbeaten. But, Scunthorpe, Bristol rovers, Slough and Wycombe Wanderers have not provided the strongest of opposition. Prior to this run a 3-1 home defeat by Luton and struggle to get past Hartlepool in the cup. As we are more Luton than Scunthorpe, I go with 2-1 home win.
  • Options

True the Gills have come into some form 3 wins and a draw for 4 games unbeaten. But, Scunthorpe, Bristol rovers, Slough and Wycombe Wanderers have not provided the strongest of opposition. Prior to this run a 3-1 home defeat by Luton and struggle to get past Hartlepool in the cup. As we are more Luton than Scunthorpe, I go with 2-1 home win.

Wycombe are ninth though and only six points off the Play-Offs at the moment (I know surprised me too when I saw it the other week)
  • Options
    It would be great if we donated much more to the food bank than we did last week.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    A goal fest, 4-2 Charlton.
    seth plum said:

It would be great if we donated much more to the food bank than we did last week.

Have some to bring.
  • Options
    Another for 2-0 but not fussed as long as we bag 3 points.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Now I've seen it's there I'll be bringing a bag. I was going to last week but then thought how I would explain a tin of tuna and some soup to the security guys if it wasn't there.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!