Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christmas Dinner 2018

Comments

• Options
    Plus some fruit salad sometime to cleanse the system.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

what are peoples thoughts on having a Yorkshire pudding as part of the turkey dinner?
    for me personally the Yorkshire shouldn't be included.

personally think Yorkshire puddings should be had with any roast.
    Seconded. And most other meals.
  • Options

@PragueAddick have a look on bbc good food, loads of recipes and always good tips in the comments sections at The bottom

Make sure the fat is VERY hot
  • Options

My wife's just out of hospital after an op' so I am on full time caring duties.

So for the first time ever I will be attempting to deliver a roast dinner with all the trimmings. My attempts to persuade her we should do something different this year, like a pizza or a curry or a can of soup were not well received...

Fortunately it's only for the three of us but there's now a ridiculously expensive and far too large piece of beef in the fridge silently goading me that I don't have a clue what I am going to do with it tomorrow. Ridiculous really that I'm intimidated by a piece of meat* but I don't want to mess it up for her!

*insert your own smut here.

Really easy. Whack the oven on as high as it goes. Let it heat up for 20 mins or so.

Beef in for 20 mins.

Oven down to 180 degrees.

Leave beef in for 15 minutes per 500g if you like it rare. 20 minutes if you like it medium. If you like it well done, go get a pizza instead.

Let it rest for 30 minutes loosely covered in foil
  • Options
    Jints said:

My wife's just out of hospital after an op' so I am on full time caring duties.

So for the first time ever I will be attempting to deliver a roast dinner with all the trimmings. My attempts to persuade her we should do something different this year, like a pizza or a curry or a can of soup were not well received...

Fortunately it's only for the three of us but there's now a ridiculously expensive and far too large piece of beef in the fridge silently goading me that I don't have a clue what I am going to do with it tomorrow. Ridiculous really that I'm intimidated by a piece of meat* but I don't want to mess it up for her!

*insert your own smut here.

Really easy. Whack the oven on as high as it goes. Let it heat up for 20 mins or so.

Beef in for 20 mins.

Oven down to 180 degrees.

Leave beef in for 15 minutes per 500g if you like it rare. 20 minutes if you like it medium. If you like it well done, go get a pizza instead.

Let it rest for 30 minutes loosely covered in foil
    Are you anywhere near Bournemouth by any chance..?

:-)
  • Options
    And deprive you of all the brownie points you'll get for a perfect Xmas dinner?
  • Options
    iainment said:

We're going on the Southwark Cyclists annual cycle on Christmas Day so we'll have our dinner on Boxing Day.
    Which will be a Cashew, pecan, hazelnut, almond and mushroom tray bake.
    With roast spuds, parsnips, swede, sprouts, carrots and peas, roast onion and gravy. Possibly yorkies if I have time.
    Home made xmas pud with ice cream.

Would be interested in the recipe for the tray bake.
  • Options
    Vegetable encroute with mushrooms, herbs and creme fraiche
    Roast spuds
    Yorkshire puds
    Sprouts, carrots and green beans
    Vegetarian gravy

Champagne first thing
    Red wine with the meal
    Beers for the evening with quorn sausage rolls and crisps

The Queen at 3pm, and hopefully a decent film.
  • Options
    Beef wellington this year, using a big lump of 40 day aged sirloin, on which I've just spent far too much, made with Parma ham and Ardennes pate.
    Will come with masses of roast potatoes cooked by little miss Idle, and a variety of roasted vegetables plus sprouts.
  • Options
    kimbo said:

iainment said:

We're going on the Southwark Cyclists annual cycle on Christmas Day so we'll have our dinner on Boxing Day.
    With roast spuds, parsnips, swede, sprouts, carrots and peas, roast onion and gravy. Possibly yorkies if I have time.

Cashew, pecan, hazelnut, almond and mushroom - put on a tray. Bake.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Xmas lunch at The Charles Dickens down the front in Broadstairs.
    Pork Platter / Mixed Seafood Salad / Turkey with trimmings / Cheese Board -
    i make that about 3500 calories plus Fizzy stuff to begin with followed by 4 or 5 pints of Ale.
  • Options
    kimbo said:

iainment said:

It's in the food supplement of Saturday's Guardian. Looked lovely so I'm giving it a go.
    Will post recipe when I can.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

kimbo said:

iainment said:

Cashew, pecan, hazelnut, almond and mushroom - put on a tray. Bake.
    Nearly.
  • Options
    Yes, in Broadstairs itself but am not a Broadie, Eltham born/bred - retired here 7 tears ago - it seems a lot of Sarf Londoners and Bexleyheath/Welling expats have retired down here ...
  • Options
    Lamb, fore rib of beef, roasties in goose fat, pigs in blankets, sausage meat stuffing, parsnips, carrots, swede, red cabbage, potato gratin , peas, broccoli and homemade gravy
  • Options

In Prague, (not Eltham), and one time of the year when I'm the main cook. Czech Christmas cooking is pretty derisory. Carp and potato salad on 24th evening. I mean, come on...

Bit this time the cooking is spread across five days

- already did the gammon for neighbour event on Friday. They scoffed nearly all of it. Delicious soup from it, though.

- classic turkey on 27th for the wife's extended family (due to niece being on doctor duty tmrw)

- so tomorrow for the wife and I, it's a classic roast beef joint for the first time in ages. Good looking and monstrous joint from Chris the English farmer/butcher. However I have never cooked Yorkshire pudding. Wife is a capable cook, generally, but any tips re the Yorkshires will be much appreciated.

- and then in the evening after walking it off, neighbours round for roast beef sandwiches and an introduction to sherry and mince pies.

Prague, I know a lot of continental Europe go in quite big for the Xmas eve. Is that not that big a deal in the Czech Republic
  • Options
    cabbles said:

In Prague, (not Eltham), and one time of the year when I'm the main cook. Czech Christmas cooking is pretty derisory. Carp and potato salad on 24th evening. I mean, come on...

- already did the gammon for neighbour event on Friday. They scoffed nearly all of it. Delicious soup from it, though.

- classic turkey on 27th for the wife's extended family (due to niece being on doctor duty tmrw)

- so tomorrow for the wife and I, it's a classic roast beef joint for the first time in ages. Good looking and monstrous joint from Chris the English farmer/butcher. However I have never cooked Yorkshire pudding. Wife is a capable cook, generally, but any tips re the Yorkshires will be much appreciated.

- and then in the evening after walking it off, neighbours round for roast beef sandwiches and an introduction to sherry and mince pies.

Prague, I know a lot of continental Europe go in quite big for the Xmas eve. Is that not that big a deal in the Czech Republic
    No it is a big deal here too, but that is it. Carp soup followed by carp and potato salad.

From about 21st, big blue tanks appear on the streets, it's the carp merchants with their produce, swimming live. Legend has it that in the old days, people would take the carp home live, and leave it swimming in the bath until the big evening. You've noticed a logistic issue there already..meanwhile the kids fall in love with the carp, and by 24th insist their Dad cannot kill it. So he takes it down to the river Vltava, and sets it free. Meanwhile his hapless wife has to produce the fallback, pork schnitzel. And everyone smells a bit ripe!

Sod all that. My wife isn't a fan either, but she cooks it tonight at the home of her best friend, who is a bit alone at this time of year, and then heads back in the morning for the "English" Christmas. Have to say she finds the four days of turkey this and that a bit gross too.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    kimbo said:

iainment said:

• Options
    The Mrs is cooking. Doubt it'll be edible 😀
  • Options
    South Indian chicken curry, okra in spicy tomato sauce, vegetable curry, Jamaican lamb curry.

Followed by Colston Bassett stilton and Montgomery cheddar.

Several beers will be on offer, as will pre-dinner cocktails, probably of the Champagne variety, and post-dinner aperitifs, most likely to include malt whiskey.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Plus some fruit salad sometime to cleanse the system.

And this, too.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Prawn cocktail - Prosecco

Duck, with cherry sauce; roast potatoes cooked in goose fat; gratin of brussels sprouts; honey-glazed, cumin-flavoured parsnips; red cabbage; stuffing - 2015 Coldstream Hills Chardonnay

Christmas pudding; brandy cream - 2017 Sam's Island Shiraz

Cheeses; chocolates; coffee - Baileys and Glenrowan Muscat

(It's the Muscat I am most looking forward to - absolutely astonishing, red dessert wine!)

@Chizz, not knocking your selection, but I'm guessing that shiraz isn't a sweet red, so this seems a strange combination with dessert. Would you care to offer your reasoning as to why this works, please?
  • Options
    iainment said:

@iainment MsAA is going on that cycle ride, too. She really enjoyed the others she's done, I hope it's a great one tomorrow or you all.
  • Options

Chizz said:

Prawn cocktail - Prosecco

Duck, with cherry sauce; roast potatoes cooked in goose fat; gratin of brussels sprouts; honey-glazed, cumin-flavoured parsnips; red cabbage; stuffing - 2015 Coldstream Hills Chardonnay

Christmas pudding; brandy cream - 2017 Sam's Island Shiraz

Cheeses; chocolates; coffee - Baileys and Glenrowan Muscat

(It's the Muscat I am most looking forward to - absolutely astonishing, red dessert wine!)

@Chizz, not knocking your selection, but I'm guessing that shiraz isn't a sweet red, so this seems a strange combination with dessert. Would you care to offer your reasoning as to why this works, please?
    Just saving the red Muscat to last
  • Options

cabbles said:

No it is a big deal here too, but that is it. Carp soup followed by carp and potato salad.

From about 21st, big blue tanks appear on the streets, it's the carp merchants with their produce, swimming live. Legend has it that in the old days, people would take the carp home live, and leave it swimming in the bath until the big evening. You've noticed a logistic issue there already..meanwhile the kids fall in love with the carp, and by 24th insist their Dad cannot kill it. So he takes it down to the river Vltava, and sets it free. Meanwhile his hapless wife has to produce the fallback, pork schnitzel. And everyone smells a bit ripe!

Sod all that. My wife isn't a fan either, but she cooks it tonight at the home of her best friend, who is a bit alone at this time of year, and then heads back in the morning for the "English" Christmas. Have to say she finds the four days of turkey this and that a bit gross too.
    Glad to hear 'fish in the bathtub' doesn't just happen here.

I'll never forget one of my first weeks here, getting to work to find a British coworker sitting at his desk looking absolutely shell shocked. He got up in the morning walked into the bathroom to find his MIL had been to the market and his bath looked like yangzhou aquarium!
  • Options
    Turkey with potatoes, Kumara and pumpkin. Frikadeller (Danish meatballs) with rdd cabbage, caramelised potatoes and brown gravy.
    Pavlova and chocolate cheesecake for dessert.
    Saffa red blend (merlot/cab sauv), Becks, Tuborg and sparkling wine.
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Turkey with potatoes, Kumara and pumpkin. Frikadeller (Danish meatballs) with rdd cabbage, caramelised potatoes and brown gravy.
    Pavlova and chocolate cheesecake for dessert.
    Saffa red blend (merlot/cab sauv), Becks, Tuborg and sparkling wine.

Enjoy Xmas on the beach mate