Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Christmas Dinner 2018

1235»

Comments

• Options
    The steaks were perfect, if I do say so myself.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    @PragueAddick I recommend this recipe for Yorkshire puddings. I always whack the oven right up after taking the beef out to rest and then these end up ready and the roast potatoes nice and crispy just at the right time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/food/recipes/yorkshire_pudding_69240/amp
  • Options
    First Christmas with my gorgeous English lady. Being 32 degrees In perth cooking a roast is not the best so it’s lamb rack and salads. Her happy place is in the kitchen cooking and mine on the sofa drinking, feckin perfect!! :)
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Cooking for 6, including 2 vegetarians. The first one I'm hosting, although the previous 4 I have done the cooking but at my mum's house.

Puy lentil shepherd's pie for the vegetarians, it's really popular.

Turkey
    Beef joint
    Gammon
    Pigs in blankets
    Roast potatoes (with turkey)
    Roast potatoes (air fried)
    Mustard mashed potato
    Beef gravy
    Poultry gravy
    Yorkshire puddings
    Mixed veg

3 separate meats for 4 people seems hard graft @Huskaris
    Yeah. It's always worth it though! Gammon basically does itself, the beef is key because the juice is important for the gravy etc.
  • Options

iainment said:

We're going on the Southwark Cyclists annual cycle on Christmas Day so we'll have our dinner on Boxing Day.
    Which will be a Cashew, pecan, hazelnut, almond and mushroom tray bake.
    With roast spuds, parsnips, swede, sprouts, carrots and peas, roast onion and gravy. Possibly yorkies if I have time.
    Home made xmas pud with ice cream.

@iainment MsAA is going on that cycle ride, too. She really enjoyed the others she's done, I hope it's a great one tomorrow or you all.
    Unfortunately we overslept due to excessive Xmas imbibifications last night. So we're having to miss the ride this year.
    Hope MsAA has fun on it.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

@PragueAddick I recommend this recipe for Yorkshire puddings. I always whack the oven right up after taking the beef out to rest and then these end up ready and the roast potatoes nice and crispy just at the right time.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/food/recipes/yorkshire_pudding_69240/amp

Worked a treat, cheers. Apparently they freeze well.

Beef was decidedly medium despite carefully cooking instructions for rare side of medium. Wondering if it's the result of using the fan setting for the oven?

2kg off bone joint, 20 mins at 200, followed by 60 mins at 140. Rested for an hour. Still good, but wondering w
  • Options
    Christmas lunch out this year at The Woodspeen, near Newbury, Berkshire. Fabulous. Glass of Bollinger Rose Champagne on arrival, then:

Ham hock and mustard terrine, onion brioche, watercress crème fraiche
    Wild mushroom risotto, parmesan, basil oil, balsamic, truffle
    Roast turkey breast, stuffing and traditional trimmings
    Woodspeen blue cheese, pickles
    Pistachio parfait, dark chocolate, mandarin, butterscotch
    Christmas pudding, vanilla ice cream, orange jelly
    Tea or coffee with chocolates

Might just manage a turkey sarnie later.
  • Options
    Slow cooked Lamb, ratatouille and dauphinoise potatoes
  • Options
    Busy day for us, after exercising the dogs we posted on fb and we had 12 requests to visit someone alone today with our dogs. We could only visit 2 of them but it put smiles on a couple of faces. Dogs all bathed, blow dried and groomed. Just enjoyed, a turkey, bacon, beef, with pigs in blankets with all the trimmings, now on my wife's homemade Christmas pudding and custard.
  • Options

Won’t be at home cooking for everyone for the first time in years. Was disappointed at first but we’re all round to my sisters in Tonbridge who’ll be cooking a traditional turkey dinner. Realised all I have to do is turn up with a load of booze and be fed. Don’t have to worry about planning, buying & cooking the dinner at all.

They live next door to a pub so will be in there at lunchtime with the BIL.

SIL did us proud, cracking Turkey dinner after a few beers in the pub with the BIL. Now tucking into turkey sarnies and home made sausage rolls, handsome
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Things didn't quite go to plan, so in the end it was just lamb, potatoes, parsnips and sprouts for two but it was very nice.
  • Options
    My mum and my aunt put on a good spread at lunchtime. Was looking forward to getting stuck into the cold meats this evening. Unfortunately, my mum somehow doesn't know that condiment brands are the one thing you don't f#ck with. It's Haywards Piccalilli or Branston Pickle. Tried to make do with Waitrose piccallili that my mum had bought - absolute filth, disgusting.
  • Options
    Turkey, gammon, potatoes, stuffing, sausage meat, pigs in blanket, veg and yorkies. The latter not usually on the plate for Christmas but the other half insisted. I'm still struggling to move...

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Anyone get a rancid turkey from Tesco?
    It's on the news and all over twitter. Loads of People moaning about a rotting corpse smell eminating from them!
    Disgraceful.

Got ours from Smithfield and it was bootiful!
  • Options

Beef was decidedly medium despite carefully cooking instructions for rare side of medium. Wondering if it's the result of using the fan setting for the oven?

2kg off bone joint, 20 mins at 200, followed by 60 mins at 140. Rested for an hour. Still good, but wondering w
    If The recipe doesnt state its for a fan assisted oven you gotta lower temp or time, as the hot air moving around obviously gets everything hotter, I rarely turn my fan on for meat, tbh.
  • Options
    Living in France, we tried to mix French with traditional English, so we had:

Snails with garlic butter and crusty bread

Turkey with roast potatoes, parsnips, roasted pumpkin, gravy and cranberry sauce

Christmas pudding

Coffee with mince pies
  • Options
    Jints said:

My wife's just out of hospital after an op' so I am on full time caring duties.

So for the first time ever I will be attempting to deliver a roast dinner with all the trimmings. My attempts to persuade her we should do something different this year, like a pizza or a curry or a can of soup were not well received...

Fortunately it's only for the three of us but there's now a ridiculously expensive and far too large piece of beef in the fridge silently goading me that I don't have a clue what I am going to do with it tomorrow. Ridiculous really that I'm intimidated by a piece of meat* but I don't want to mess it up for her!

*insert your own smut here.

Really easy. Whack the oven on as high as it goes. Let it heat up for 20 mins or so.

Beef in for 20 mins.

Oven down to 180 degrees.

Leave beef in for 15 minutes per 500g if you like it rare. 20 minutes if you like it medium. If you like it well done, go get a pizza instead.

Let it rest for 30 minutes loosely covered in foil
    Mission accomplished @Jints although clearly the missus didn't trust me enough not to struggle out to the kitchen on crutches, "...just to give a hand" with the timings. Was very nice in the end and we still have enough meat and veg left over in case we have a rugby team drop in during the next few days too.
  • Options
    Breaded cod with wedgies.

Made sure I added vinegar for taste.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

My mum and my aunt put on a good spread at lunchtime. Was looking forward to getting stuck into the cold meats this evening. Unfortunately, my mum somehow doesn't know that condiment brands are the one thing you don't f#ck with. It's Haywards Piccalilli or Branston Pickle. Tried to make do with Waitrose piccallili that my mum had bought - absolute filth, disgusting.

Agree on the condiment brands. M&S Piccalilli is similarly disgusting and I can't just pop round to the local shop to pick up the right stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If The recipe doesnt state its for a fan assisted oven you gotta lower temp or time, as the hot air moving around obviously gets everything hotter, I rarely turn my fan on for meat, tbh.
    The recipe quoted temps for both, but didn't distinguish between time. Seems to be quite common approach. My wife agrees with you, she doesn't like it for meat. I guess I only use it because it gets to the required temp. quicker, will stick with conventional tmrw.

Next question to all. What, apart from sarnies, can you do with a fair bit of cold roast beef?

• Options

The recipe quoted temps for both, but didn't distinguish between time. Seems to be quite common approach. My wife agrees with you, she doesn't like it for meat. I guess I only use it because it gets to the required temp. quicker, will stick with conventional tmrw.

Next question to all. What, apart from sarnies, can you do with a fair bit of cold roast beef?

My suggestion would be Mince it up and make a cottage pie, simple and plain after all the rich food over Christmas, but anything with mince in could be the answer.