Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnsley Away Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    LouisMend said:
    So, 2 Pinnocks COULD have seen red against our lads within the space of 4 games....

Would that have made history ?
  • Options

LouisMend said:
    So, 2 Pillocks COULD have seen red against our lads within the space of 4 games....

Would that have made history ?
  • Options

"Just sell the club"

And fuck off
    AND

get your wrinkly old Belgian knackers caught in the toilet seat!
  • Options
    first half was terrible, playing everything through Steer when he has no distribution skills is a shockingly bad tactic, but still the only difference between the 2 teams was the 2 wonder strikes though we could probably have defended better in the build up to the first. Barnsley were very lucky not to be down to 10 after 8 or 9 mins with the foul on Grant

2nd half, while not great, the whole team seemed to be a yard or so quicker than before and we pretty much matched them. Last 20 we were well on top

Bielik at one point pulled off a Cruyff turn that fooled everyone in the ground. it was that good that he was still getting abuse from most of the away end for losing the ball when we all noticed he was 10 yards away and still had it

ref was shocking on the 2 red card decisions as summed up by the text I received from my Barnsley mate while leaving 'Just when you think refs can't get any worse....'
  • Options
    I didn’t expect much from today so I’m not too disappointed, although I’d we’d won.
    A paper thin squad, with injuries. The owner wants out apparently but has never been that interested wanting in, in the first instance. The start of the season we all knew the squad had good players but was so lean it would have to stay clear of injuries if we were by some fluke to challenge for a top 6 position come May.
    So the year ending like this disappointing as it is shouldn’t any surprise to any one.

• Options

LouisMend said:
    THANK YOU LEE!!... I swear I was the only baffled by the yellow card when Grant was clean through till I read that

Could have changed the whole concept of the game as cant imagine Barnsley being able to play with 10 men against us like we did against Wimbledon
    I think it was marginal. I got to watch it back two or three times, which the referee didn't. Is it a goal scoring opportunity? Yes. Is it a clear goal scoring opportunity? I'm not sure because I think there's a very decent chance the keeper gets to it. It's not like Tilt's pull on Taylor in the Blackpool game for what should have been a second yellow.
  • Options
    I was there today. Just seen the highlights. Solly very unlucky to get second yellow. Didn’t show the Grant incident where he was hacked down thirty yards from goal but my initial thought it was a red.
  • Options
    Pretty sure having just a keeper in front of you doesn't negate a goal scoring opportunity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

LouisMend said:
    THANK YOU LEE!!... I swear I was the only baffled by the yellow card when Grant was clean through till I read that

Could have changed the whole concept of the game as cant imagine Barnsley being able to play with 10 men against us like we did against Wimbledon
    I think it was marginal. I got to watch it back two or three times, which the referee didn't. Is it a goal scoring opportunity? Yes. Is it a clear goal scoring opportunity? I'm not sure because I think there's a very decent chance the keeper gets to it. It's not like Tilt's pull on Taylor in the Blackpool game for what should have been a second yellow.
    He would have been clear through on goal, it's a straight red.
  • Options

Palace safe
    Scum safe
    We are in the wankiest third tier in the history of the game and may scrape in to the play offs
    Liverpool are gonna win the Prem
    Football Clubs are now entering the FA Cup at the third round stage , we are out .
    Our “first team “ have played in a tournament which other sides u-21s enter
    Our owner has zero interest in us
    Our fan base is decimated
    I fucking hate football
    Happy new year
    Fuck off

Yes but apart from all that, things aren't going that bad for us, are they?
  • Options
    Continually blaming Roland is getting boring. We have a reasonably sized squad, although the quality could obviously be better. Players like Ajose need to be moved on.

Any side in our division, in fact any division would struggle to compete with multiple first team players out injured.

• Options
    Have to say @The31yearman has summed most of it up. Thank you and great to meet you and renew acquaintance with @cabbles and say hello to his dad.

Couple of things to add:

No way Bowyer could have thought that first half was acceptable, surely?

Loved the "counting" chant re their time wasting which resulted in seven minutes injury time. One to keep going.
  • Options
    I’ll accept that we have been very unlucky with injuries but we have also shown that along with some good performances we are very capable of some damned awful ones. Too many and not just one offs. That to me indicates that there is no chance of automatic promotion. We lack the consistency required. We do however look capable of reaching the playoffs unless the January window is a disaster and we have even more bad luck with injuries. I’m hoping we can hang in and around the top six until we get some of our injured lads back for the run in. If we get that sixth spot then I think we could go all the way.
  • Options

I’ll accept that we have been very unlucky with injuries but we have also shown that along with some good performances we are very capable of some damned awful ones. Too many and not just one offs. That to me indicates that there is no chance of automatic promotion. We lack the consistency required. We do however look capable of reaching the playoffs unless the January window is a disaster and we have even more bad luck with injuries. I’m hoping we can hang in and around the top six until we get some of our injured lads back for the run in. If we get that sixth spot then I think we could go all the way.

Playoffs are best we can hope for. Lottery.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

Yeah, blaming Roland is "boring".

Its so "boring" watching the club you have supported for over 40 years be totally decimated in front of your eyes in a few short years by some freak show arsehole.

We should all pull ourselves together and stop banging on about it. I mean, he said he's made mistakes in the past hasn't he, so everything should be fine and dandy now and not "boring" at all.

Roland needs to go, don’t get me wrong. But the injuries we have suffered is not his fault and we don’t have a small squad, I would say we are a defender light. We need another creative player to replace Ward and another striker but we have the numbers if not the quality. Shifting either Ajose or Igor is not going to be easy.
  • Options
    Today’s result and the latest injury/suspension show how we need a new LB at the START of January, we need someone now
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Leuth said:

“Second-half I thought we were by far the better side. I thought for large parts of the first half we were the better side, especially coming towards the end of the first half. All they’ve done is score two great strikes and I can’t really remember them hurting us other than that."

this is absolutely delusional from LB, and that's the first time I've said that

I see that, and raise you:
    "'Solly has got a second yellow card. It thought it was harsh. He won the ball. You can’t control where you are going once you’ve won the ball. The ref said he caught him on the follow through. When you’re sliding and you’re asking your players to put everything and give you everything, he slid, he’s won the ball and his momentum has took him into the lad. You can’t stop that. You can’t help that. That’s just part of the game at times. He hasn’t done anything intentionally. You don’t just win the ball and stop when you slide. That doesn’t happen. Now we’ll lose another player for the next game.'"

Did he win the ball? Didn't look like that to me. Still, THAT DOESN'T MATTER. It was a completely reckless challenge and again, he should have thanked the ref for not sending him off with a straight red.

Leuth's is obviously worse, but that one is pretty bad.

A good reminder this is Bowyer's first season as manager, second as a senior coach. This is the worst we've played this season. The pressure mounts this time of year. Hopefully everyone gets a day off tomorrow and can regroup on Monday.
    What do you and Leuth expect Bowyer to say. I have not watched any of the game but Solly is a proper Charlton lad and don’t think a manager calling him out is really appropriate, of course he is going to back him whether he believes it or not.

Likewise, with a squad down to bare bones and having lost two on the bounce Bowyer is going to try to look for positives in the performance hence the comment that Leuth call delusional. It’s really just about trying to maintain motivation and confidence in a stretched squad.

From what I have read the lads gave everything against one of the best teams in the division away from home with 8-9 players missing and lost by the odd goal. It’s unlucky but it happens (a lot to Charlton!)
    We don’t have eight or nine players missing from the first XI, do we? Steer, Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Bielik, Grant and Taylor would have been in the starting line-up most weeks regardless of any injuries. Reeves, debatably, is an eighth, while Fosu was on the bench and came on.

We miss Aribo and Page, and one or possibly two of Cullen, Ward, Clarke, Forster-Caskey. Marshall played. I don’t know what the first-choice midfield would be, tbh, but you can’t argue we are missing all of them at once because they can’t all start.

From where I was sitting we were comfortably outplayed by Barnsley in the first half and did better in the second half but against a side that already had the benefit of a two goal advantage.

It’s one game and not to be taken in isolation but if the “lads gave everything” then it was a long way short of being good enough on the day. We were poor, in my opinion.
    Agree with most of this, but our midfield was poor today. Aribo would have made a big difference to that.

They have been saying the same about City and Fernandinho, it happens to all clubs and we lacked that spark. Marshall and Pratley aren’t good enough. Neither was Reeves but at least he tries to make something happen
  • Options
    We needed a new LB at the start of the season. And that is / was Roland's fault.
  • Options

"Just sell the club"

And fuck off
    Straight to the point

Just sell the club, fuck off and don't come back!
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Also let's not get too carried away with a defeat today. We have a depleted squad and Barnsley were 2nd favourites for the title in pre-season, haven't lost at home all season and will be very close to going up automatically.

Agree to an extent. Barnsley look a very, very good side. And they have some real quality in depth there as well.

The disheartening bit is how poor and poorly prepared we looked. Some of that, as was the case against Coventry, is the opposition pressing us and stopping us from playing. And we don't look tactically prepared to deal with that. I'm not even sure what formation we started with, was it a diamond with Marshall playing wider on the left? Or was is a flat 4-4-2 with Pratley just doing whatever he wishes and Reeves narrow on the right?

When pressed, we seem to either bunch around the ball, and those tight interchanges can help you play out but it also makes you easier to close down, we lump it long where Grant and Taylor are desperately isolated against three or four defenders, or we give it away. Finally, I think it was late in the first half but it might have been the second half, Bielik started dropping between the center backs to push the CBs wider and the fullbacks up the pitch, and giving him a 180 degree view of the pitch when he had the ball.

Obviously injuries and suspensions take their toll, as Aribo, Page, Cullen, and Sarr would all help with their technical ability. It's more the lack of preparation and a plan B that I worry about. Coventry provided an excellent blueprint for how to play against us, and Barnsley basically replicated it.

The bollocks it took for Solly to argue his second yellow was...borderline impressive. He should have shaken Bond's hand and thanked him for not producing a straight red, meaning Solly would be out for three matches instead of one.

And now it's a question of where does the reprieve come from? We get Sarr back but lose Solly for Tuesday and presumably Pearce. Cullen seems to be a few weeks away, as is Igor and Aribo and Page. I worry it may get worse before it gets better.

Lastly, if I were Ajose I'd be fuming. I've not seen anything from Reeco to indicate he's ready for this level, and most of the time he looks lost on the pitch to me. Ajose, for whatever you think of him, can score goals at this level. Yes Reeco is big, but he's not exactly a put it on my head for knock downs target man.
    Yes there was an awful lot of aimless passing between the keeper and defenders followed by a speculative hoof up front today
    Today..???
  • Options
    Had a nice little nap and had time to think. I honestly feel like we just didn't click yesterday and conceded two very good goals and scored a fantastic reaction volley.

Bow needs to rethink our formation as 4 at the back doesn't work when Dijksteel is one of the 4.

I wonder how many we've won this season with Solly at LB.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Had a nice little nap and had time to think. I honestly feel like we just didn't click yesterday and conceded two very good goals and scored a fantastic reaction volley.

Bow needs to rethink our formation as 4 at the back doesn't work when Dijksteel is one of the 4.

I wonder how many we've won this season with Solly at LB.

That recent run of 7 wins in 8 games or whatever it was, Solly was at left back for the majority of them.
    That'll do nicely then. Maybe we could at least teach Dijksteel to read the ball in the air.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    At the game.
    Strange game.....first things first. We didn’t deserve to go two down.....yes Barnsley were the better side but other than the two terrific goals they didn’t actually create much for all their superiority, maybe 1-0 at half time would have been a fairer score line.
    Second half we improved and things were more even......with neither side looking likely to score. When we (somewhat surprisingly), eventually found the net, we made a very spirited effort to snatch an unlikely looking point.
    The two goals were just too big a hurdle for such an injury hit squad.
    At the end of the day we might have scraped an equaliser given that for the last 15 mins or so it was pretty much oneway traffic, but sadly it was not to be. Too many misplaced passes, poor decisions and sloppy play didn’t help our cause one little bit.
    Set off for home very dispirited, having just seen two pointless results in just four days with nothing much to write home about.