Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Barnsley Away Post Match Views

Comments

• Options
    A disappointing but hardly surprising result given the current depleted squad. At least it gets a difficult game out of the way with only Peterborough now to visit of the teams above us with Pompey, Luton & Sunderland still to come to us. Also the top 7 are now 7 points clear of the pack so we are still in good shape to make the Play-Offs. Making the top two was always going to be a long shot which looks very unlikely now. However if we can beat Walsall on Tuesday and get at least a point from Sunderland we are still in pretty good shape with key players to come back.
  • Options
    Barnsley are a better side than us. Simple.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

The cheap beer oop north is a small consolation

Yes, a few pints of Three Valleys in The Old No:7 helped ease the pain.

Then when into Annie Murray’s after to watch the football. It was like was something out of Eastbourne’s finest night out!

Oh, as for the game! Barnsley impressed me first half. Quick and some great one touch stuff as well. Really thought we’d get battered. They sat back second half and made us look better than the scoreline would suggest. Great finish by Reeves but I really wish he’d practice things like passing and crossing!! You know, the kind of stuff that essentially makes you a footballer! His attempts at the killer pass are, 9 times out of 10, woeful!
  • Options

We needed a new LB at the start of the season. And that is / was Roland's fault.

Whys that?

Bowyer was allowed to sign 6 players but decided to sign a load of CMs instead. He should take some responsibility too. We all knew of Pages injury issues but Bowyer didn’t sign a left back.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    It seems to be a tactic of teams to attack us from the start. Their intelligence probably has us down as slow starters. Mind you Gillingham did it and we went one up after 6 minutes! At home against Walsall I'd like to see Bowyer play Marshall RB and Sarr LB bringing Bielik back to centre half. I think Djiksteel would be better deployed in front of the defence.
  • Options
    Top 6 is the best we can hope for - too many poor performances this season. Need a win against Walsall.
  • Options
    What I’m annoyed about is the fact that most normal clubs in 6th at this stage of the season with a good chance of making the play offs would potentially be talking about additions to help build a promotion campaign, or at least not be worrying about who we might lose

Our shit show of an owner means none of us are talking that way at all. We’re all just worrying about how decimated the squad will look come end of Jan

Thanks Roland
  • Options
    cabbles said:

What I’m annoyed about is the fact that most normal clubs in 6th at this stage of the season with a good chance of making the play offs would potentially be talking about additions to help build a promotion campaign, or at least not be worrying about who we might lose

Our shit show of an owner means none of us are talking that way at all. We’re all just worrying about how decimated the squad will look come end of Jan

Thanks Roland

Very depressing state of affairs.
  • Options
    We didn’t play well. But they scored 2 screamers. On another day they could have both flown over the bar and we’d be talking about how much of an amazing away win that was
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Saw the Solly incident before I went to bed and it aint he even a fould. He has won the ball and the player has dived. We cannot appeal it. That ref is such a cunt and killed off any chance of getting anything.
  • Options

Not allowed to post anything anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdofmoYcJNE
  • Options

Saw the Solly incident before I went to bed and it aint he even a fould. He has won the ball and the player has dived. We cannot appeal it. That ref is such a cunt and killed off any chance of getting anything.

Perhaps watch it again this morning then. He went it 2 footed with his studs up. Yellow card all day in these times & some refs might have shown a straight red. (sadly) it doesn't matter nowdays if you win the ball....it was reckless & he jumped in.
  • Options

We needed a new LB at the start of the season. And that is / was Roland's fault.

Whys that?

Bowyer was allowed to sign 6 players but decided to sign a load of CMs instead. He should take some responsibility too. We all knew of Pages injury issues but Bowyer didn’t sign a left back.
    I agree with that, but the squad is still distorted by Sarr, Vetokele and Ajose, who nobody would sign on the wages they are on. I also think Pratley was a mistake by Bowyer, but that happens.
  • Options

Whys that?

Of course it's Roland's fault. He's sufficiently wealthy, and we've made enough off player sales that Bowyer shouldn't be so limited with his budget. It shouldn't be an either/or situation where you have to sign the CMs you need or the reserve LB you need. Incidentally, he signed two CMs. Two. One was Darren Pratley, which is a stopgap signing and Cullen on loan, who didn't come in until 30th August. We've had to play Lapslie far more than we should have and Albie Morgan is considered part of the first team squad despite being nowhere near ready. Bielik is a CH who gets pushed awkwardly into central midfield because of the relentless injuries we get, and Ward is a winger/forward who never really looks comfortable in the formation Bowyer wants to play, which is the same problem we have with Fosu. We made two permanent signings this season and four loans. Incidentally, JFC's injury was announced on 4th August, so we knew we had to bring in an extra CM to cover that season long absence but I doubt the signing quota was adjusted to take that into account.

Also, which LB was available on the ridiculous budget Bowyer has? We know for a fact that we keep requesting Jay Dasilva from Chelsea but they want him to play at a higher level, so who else is available for the money we have? You can't not sign the players that are available because you're holding out for a reserve LB who may not exist. Imagine spending a season knowing your squad is too small, losing 5 first team players, losing one to a season-long injury (while knowing Clarke would miss half of it as well) and being told you can have 6 players, but only the money for two permanent ones. It's insane. At most you're getting the same inadequate squad size as the season before and knowing the cycle will continue from there.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

“Second-half I thought we were by far the better side. I thought for large parts of the first half we were the better side, especially coming towards the end of the first half. All they’ve done is score two great strikes and I can’t really remember them hurting us other than that."

this is absolutely delusional from LB, and that's the first time I've said that

"All they've done is score two great strikes..." That's all you have to do in order to win most matches.
  • Options

Whys that?

I agree with that, but the squad is still distorted by Sarr, Vetokele and Ajose, who nobody would sign on the wages they are on. I also think Pratley was a mistake by Bowyer, but that happens.
    Yep agree with that, but at least barring his red card Sarr is still a decent League one player and is contributing. But 100% agree with Igor and Ajose, we need to shift at least one of them but that's nearly impossible I feel.
  • Options

Whys that?

Of course it's Roland's fault. He's sufficiently wealthy, and we've made enough off player sales that Bowyer shouldn't be so limited with his budget. It shouldn't be an either/or situation where you have to sign the CMs you need or the reserve LB you need. Incidentally, he signed two CMs. Two. One was Darren Pratley, which is a stopgap signing and Cullen on loan, who didn't come in until 30th August. We've had to play Lapslie far more than we should have and Albie Morgan is considered part of the first team squad despite being nowhere near ready. Bielik is a CH who gets pushed awkwardly into central midfield because of the relentless injuries we get, and Ward is a winger/forward who never really looks comfortable in the formation Bowyer wants to play, which is the same problem we have with Fosu. We made two permanent signings this season and four loans. Incidentally, JFC's injury was announced on 4th August, so we knew we had to bring in an extra CM to cover that season long absence but I doubt the signing quota was adjusted to take that into account.

Also, which LB was available on the ridiculous budget Bowyer has? We know for a fact that we keep requesting Jay Dasilva from Chelsea but they want him to play at a higher level, so who else is available for the money we have? You can't not sign the players that are available because you're holding out for a reserve LB who may not exist. Imagine spending a season knowing your squad is too small, losing 5 first team players, losing one to a season-long injury (while knowing Clarke would miss half of it as well) and being told you can have 6 players, but only the money for two permanent ones. It's insane. At most you're getting the same inadequate squad size as the season before and knowing the cycle will continue from there.
    Pratley was a "stopgap" signing that Bowyer made. We all know what Roland is like and everybody wants him out. You can't expect him to actively sell the club and splash the cash though. I certainly wouldn't do that in his position. But he should be intelligent enough to realise that the better we do the better the chances he has of selling the club. He's too stubborn to come to that realisation.

But in terms of squad numbers, we are only a left back light. Personally feel we need another 3 (defender, attacking midfielder and striker) to go up, offloading either Ajose/Igor, letting Ward go back and loaning out Dijksteel. But we had one of our better windows and we only sold Konsa.

The injury crisis is not Roland's fault, but I do agree that any reasonable owner would take a look at that and stretch the budget, even if we brought an extra loan in for 1/2 months until the likes of Cullen and Aribo return.

• Options
    They scored 2 great strikes
    We scored 1
    They sat back on what they had and it was enough to keep us out .
    Can we blame the ref
  • Options

We did well then to beat them 3-2 over the 2 legs. :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We did well then to beat them 3-2 over the 2 legs. :wink:
    let's hope we can do the same IF IF it comes a play off semi ((:>) .. (them or any other team)
  • Options

We didn’t play well. But they scored 2 screamers. On another day they could have both flown over the bar and we’d be talking about how much of an amazing away win that was

It's a funny thing ...... but football can be just like that.

• Options

Whys that?

The injury crisis is not Roland's fault, but I do agree that any reasonable owner would take a look at that and stretch the budget, even if we brought an extra loan in for 1/2 months until the likes of Cullen and Aribo return.
    You can't bring in an any loan for 1/2 months, can you?

It would have to be for remainder of season.

• Options
    edited December 2018

SDAddick said:

Leuth said:

“Second-half I thought we were by far the better side. I thought for large parts of the first half we were the better side, especially coming towards the end of the first half. All they’ve done is score two great strikes and I can’t really remember them hurting us other than that."

I see that, and raise you:
    "'Solly has got a second yellow card. It thought it was harsh. He won the ball. You can’t control where you are going once you’ve won the ball. The ref said he caught him on the follow through. When you’re sliding and you’re asking your players to put everything and give you everything, he slid, he’s won the ball and his momentum has took him into the lad. You can’t stop that. You can’t help that. That’s just part of the game at times. He hasn’t done anything intentionally. You don’t just win the ball and stop when you slide. That doesn’t happen. Now we’ll lose another player for the next game.'"

Did he win the ball? Didn't look like that to me. Still, THAT DOESN'T MATTER. It was a completely reckless challenge and again, he should have thanked the ref for not sending him off with a straight red.

Leuth's is obviously worse, but that one is pretty bad.

A good reminder this is Bowyer's first season as manager, second as a senior coach. This is the worst we've played this season. The pressure mounts this time of year. Hopefully everyone gets a day off tomorrow and can regroup on Monday.
    What do you and Leuth expect Bowyer to say. I have not watched any of the game but Solly is a proper Charlton lad and don’t think a manager calling him out is really appropriate, of course he is going to back him whether he believes it or not.

Likewise, with a squad down to bare bones and having lost two on the bounce Bowyer is going to try to look for positives in the performance hence the comment that Leuth call delusional. It’s really just about trying to maintain motivation and confidence in a stretched squad.

From what I have read the lads gave everything against one of the best teams in the division away from home with 8-9 players missing and lost by the odd goal. It’s unlucky but it happens (a lot to Charlton!)
    We don’t have eight or nine players missing from the first XI, do we? Steer, Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Bielik, Grant and Taylor would have been in the starting line-up most weeks regardless of any injuries. Reeves, debatably, is an eighth, while Fosu was on the bench and came on.

We miss Aribo and Page, and one or possibly two of Cullen, Ward, Clarke, Forster-Caskey. Marshall played. I don’t know what the first-choice midfield would be, tbh, but you can’t argue we are missing all of them at once because they can’t all start.

From where I was sitting we were comfortably outplayed by Barnsley in the first half and did better in the second half but against a side that already had the benefit of a two goal advantage.

It’s one game and not to be taken in isolation but if the “lads gave everything” then it was a long way short of being good enough on the day. We were poor, in my opinion.
    1. Page
    2. Aribo
    3. Cullen

All of the above would play in our first choice 11.

4. JFC
    5. Ward
    6. Clarke
    7. Lapslie

Would all play ahead of Pratley or Marshall and likely all be in the 17.

8. Sarr

Would at least have been on the bench yesterday

So missing 8 as I said, a number of which are very key players to the way we play. Not to mention 6 of them are midfielders which has decimated one section of the team, and arguably the heart beat of the side which does so much to both stop and create goals.

In fact, not one of the players you put as highly likely to start each game when fit is a natural midfielder which makes the point in itself.
  • Options
    Regarding players out injured and which of them would start matches ....... the other side of the coin, we could do with the others on the bench.

We've got far too many youngsters on the bench.
    Yesterday the inconsistant 22 year old Fosu and a keeper with barely a dozen League games, was as near to 'experienced' as we could get.

That's what Bowyer means by bare bones.

• Options

SDAddick said:

Leuth said:

"'Solly has got a second yellow card. It thought it was harsh. He won the ball. You can’t control where you are going once you’ve won the ball. The ref said he caught him on the follow through. When you’re sliding and you’re asking your players to put everything and give you everything, he slid, he’s won the ball and his momentum has took him into the lad. You can’t stop that. You can’t help that. That’s just part of the game at times. He hasn’t done anything intentionally. You don’t just win the ball and stop when you slide. That doesn’t happen. Now we’ll lose another player for the next game.'"

Did he win the ball? Didn't look like that to me. Still, THAT DOESN'T MATTER. It was a completely reckless challenge and again, he should have thanked the ref for not sending him off with a straight red.

A good reminder this is Bowyer's first season as manager, second as a senior coach. This is the worst we've played this season. The pressure mounts this time of year. Hopefully everyone gets a day off tomorrow and can regroup on Monday.
    What do you and Leuth expect Bowyer to say. I have not watched any of the game but Solly is a proper Charlton lad and don’t think a manager calling him out is really appropriate, of course he is going to back him whether he believes it or not.

Likewise, with a squad down to bare bones and having lost two on the bounce Bowyer is going to try to look for positives in the performance hence the comment that Leuth call delusional. It’s really just about trying to maintain motivation and confidence in a stretched squad.

From what I have read the lads gave everything against one of the best teams in the division away from home with 8-9 players missing and lost by the odd goal. It’s unlucky but it happens (a lot to Charlton!)
    We don’t have eight or nine players missing from the first XI, do we? Steer, Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Bielik, Grant and Taylor would have been in the starting line-up most weeks regardless of any injuries. Reeves, debatably, is an eighth, while Fosu was on the bench and came on.

We miss Aribo and Page, and one or possibly two of Cullen, Ward, Clarke, Forster-Caskey. Marshall played. I don’t know what the first-choice midfield would be, tbh, but you can’t argue we are missing all of them at once because they can’t all start.

From where I was sitting we were comfortably outplayed by Barnsley in the first half and did better in the second half but against a side that already had the benefit of a two goal advantage.

It’s one game and not to be taken in isolation but if the “lads gave everything” then it was a long way short of being good enough on the day. We were poor, in my opinion.
    1. Page
    2. Aribo
    3. Cullen

4. JFC
    5. Ward
    6. Clarke
    7. Lapslie

8. Sarr

So missing 8 as I said, a number of which are very key players to the way we play. Not to mention 6 of them are midfielders which has decimated one section of the team, and arguably the heart beat of the side which does so much to both stop and create goals.

In fact, not one of the players you put as highly likely to start each game when fit is a natural midfielder which makes the point in itself.
    Yes, Page, Aribo and Cullen would start, but assuming Reeves is then left out you can only include one other in the starting line-up. Not 8.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Leuth said:

1. Page
    2. Aribo
    3. Cullen

4. JFC
    5. Ward
    6. Clarke
    7. Lapslie

8. Sarr

Yes, Page, Aribo and Cullen would start, but assuming Reeves is then left out you can only include one other in the starting line-up. Not 8.
    Whatever way we paint it, some could say were without 3/4 of our midfield
    If all were fit 3 of our midfielders who started yesterday probably wouldn't be in the starting 11.
    Not a dig at you Airman, I would like to see any team missing 3 out of 4 best midfielders.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Leuth said:

1. Page
    2. Aribo
    3. Cullen

4. JFC
    5. Ward
    6. Clarke
    7. Lapslie

8. Sarr

Not arguing that point but saying that Pratley and Marshall would probably be below 6 others currently injured to get in the team. That is half the midfield picked yesterday being 7th/8th choice of a third div team. Hardly surprising we struggled against a top 6 team at their place.
  • Options

Perhaps watch it again this morning then. He went it 2 footed with his studs up. Yellow card all day in these times & some refs might have shown a straight red. (sadly) it doesn't matter nowdays if you win the ball....it was reckless & he jumped in.
    Ref was still a cunt.

Bottled a straight for their player at 0-1.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Whys that?

You can't bring in an any loan for 1/2 months, can you?

It would have to be for remainder of season.

Ah I didn't know what, I thought it was still possible to sign someone on loan without it being until the end of the season.