Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2019

Comments

• Shambolic yet again. Poor captaincy to bowl Bell Drummond for me!! Now we go to Essex who have won tonight meaning they can still qualify. So they are going to be right up for it 
    Bad as it was, wasn't it because Claydon got whacked?
  • edited August 2019
    I hope someone knows how to perform the heimlich manoeuvre, because I sense another nasty choking incident. 
  • Uboat said:
    I hope someone knows how to perform the heimlich manoeuvre, because I great another nasty choking incident. 
    What do you expect, you've just employed another South African ......for 2 days.
  • Uboat said:
    I hope someone knows how to perform the heimlich manoeuvre, because I great another nasty choking incident. 
    What do you expect, you've just employed another South African ......for 2 days.
    Not sure what that's got to do with my post, but you're obviously happy with that line so I suggest you use it a couple more times to really get the most out of it.
  • We really are struggling in the seam bowling department at the moment:

Podmore - captained the Kent 2nd X1 side that lost by 575 runs this week but only bowled in Essex's first innings
    Thomas - been out injured all season
    Haggett - played plenty of 2s games up to middle of July but nothing since and not been near the first team
    Milne - big success but just had an op and out for the season
    Milnes - in squad for this game but previously bowled just 12 balls in T20 (and went for 25)
    Stevens - loaned out to Derbyshire where he has bowled just 4 overs in the comp for figures of 0-43
    Claydon - yet to take a wicket in the comp and his figures of 11-0-97-0 are ordinary to say the least
    Stewart - currently injured (again)
    Klaassen - taken 8 wickets in the comp but has an economy rate of 9.47
    Viljeon - 18 wickets and an economy rate of 7.5 makes his one of our only successes in this department
    Bell-Drummond - used with the ball to balance the side but his 3 wickets have cost 107 runs and been bought at a rate of 11.26 an over

So, 11 in theory to pick from. And only Viljeon who isn't either injured, out of form, too old for T20 or possibly just not good enough anyway. 
  • Oh dear, yet another close defeat, it's as if we've forgotten how to close out matches

Strange bowling figures, with Qayyum going at 6 an over and Blake's primitive off spin going at 4.25 an over, Kent could have done with another spinner. What was the pitch like?
  • On another note it is evident that we as a county are going through a transitional period. We have a squad/used 28 players this season. It would not surprise me if almost half of those weren't with us next year. Hopefully there will be a bit more stability with the captain not disappearing for the start of the season but also more competition for places in all forms of the game.
  • Oh dear, yet another close defeat, it's as if we've forgotten how to close out matches

Strange bowling figures, with Qayyum going at 6 an over and Blake's primitive off spin going at 4.25 an over, Kent could have done with another spinner. What was the pitch like?
    The pitch was a decent batting track and pace off was a definite advantage. Of course, had Denly played we would have had that 3rd spin option - FDP bowls it too but doesn't seem keen to do so these days.
  • Uboat said:
    Uboat said:
    Not sure what that's got to do with my post, but you're obviously happy with that line so I suggest you use it a couple more times to really get the most out of it.
    Because, in Crickteing terms, South Africans have a reputation as being 'chokers'...sorry, i thought you knew that , as its a common cricket thing.
  • Just finished watching the match so I'm a tad late with my comment ...

FFS!

Absolutely criminal that we've lost another close one.

With all the teams behind us on 13 points we have to beat Essex otherwise we're out - Somerset are playing Middlesex so one of those will go to 15 (tie or no result notwithstanding) and an Eagles win will also take them to 15 ... with us on 14.

I'm going tomorrow (annual work jaunt to Chelmsford to watch the Mighty Spirfires) so they'd better pull their bloody fingers out, put in a decent performance, and get the win.
  • Sponsored links:

• On another note it is evident that we as a county are going through a transitional period. We have a squad/used 28 players this season. It would not surprise me if almost half of those weren't with us next year. Hopefully there will be a bit more stability with the captain not disappearing for the start of the season but also more competition for places in all forms of the game.
    What's happened to Callum Haggett for example? He was a white ball regular last season yet has barely appeared this season.
  • Just back from Canterbury having watched 2 matches in 6 days that we should never have lost. 

Can't express how angry and disappointed I am with those 2 results.

OK, injuries have depleted our squad & affected the balance as such badly. 

Tonight, we had FOUR recognised bowlers .....so Blakey & BDB had to make up the other 4 overs between them. How could we be expected to win under those circumstances ? 

But, a glimmer of hope after another capitulation from BDB was the return to form by Bilbo who, together with FDP made decent inroads into the Gloucs total. 

Those of you watching either at the ground or via Sky will have noted how we were on schedule until the last couple of overs when indiscipline from the batters threw away 2 valuable points ....for the 2nd week running. 

IF, and it's a big if, we do qualify for the quarters, I can't see us progressing any further and maybe on recent form, we don't deserve to. 

Not sure I'll be listening in to tomorrow night's match for what's likely to be yet another disappointment. 

SO hoping our lads will cheer me up at Reading on Saturday. 
  • When did county cricket reach this stage of players coming and going for a few weeks here or there? I remember Steve Waugh joining us for about ten minutes once, but it seems to be out of hand now and slightly devalues the whole exercise.
  • Uboat said:
    When did county cricket reach this stage of players coming and going for a few weeks here or there? I remember Steve Waugh joining us for about ten minutes once, but it seems to be out of hand now and slightly devalues the whole exercise.
    There again Counties didn't used to lose their players for long periods of time due to Central Contracts, England call ups or the IPL.  Equally, there wasn't so much international cricket so overseas players were invariably with you for the season so didn't need to replace those players. 
    What's happened to Callum Haggett for example? He was a white ball regular last season yet has barely appeared this season.
    Whether it's just injury or a lack of form but Haggett hasn't even been playing 2nd X1 cricket in the last month or so.
  • Uboat said:
    When did county cricket reach this stage of players coming and going for a few weeks here or there? I remember Steve Waugh joining us for about ten minutes once, but it seems to be out of hand now and slightly devalues the whole exercise.
    Yes, overseas players used to be really associated with a county, coming back for several years. Superstars of the game like Viv Richards would rock up in April and play all formats until September

Now the international and domestic calendar around the world is so full, players don't even play the whole T20 blast! It's easy to forget many of the overseas players we've had in recent years, for example Stoinis and Brathwaite were here for parts of the Blast in 2018, and neither made much of an impact in the small number of games they played

• Tonight's fixtures:

Essex v Kent
    Glamorgan v Hampshire
    Somerset v Middlesex
    Sussex v Gloucestershire

A word about Bilbo: it was good to see him get some runs last night but how about leading us to a win?!

Since he came back into the side we've had five T20s (L3, NR2) and one Championship match (that game against Essex) and prior to last night's 55 he'd scored a grand total of 13 in four innings (T20: 7, 5*; CC 1, 0).

Tactics for tonight? How about don't let DBD bowl?! His last two overs have cost 39 runs (16 against Slurrey; 23 last night) in matches that we've lost by 1 run and 5 runs respectively.

• Well that was a shambles wasn't it?!

Team looks shot of confidence in general.  Now thrown away two games they should've won...traded 1/10 or shorter in both so a less than 1% chance of losing both games shows how dire they have been in getting over the line!

Simple enough equation tonight, win and through, lose and out.

Part of me hopes they go out tbh, certainly don't deserve to go through and saves me three hours of my life next or whenever the QF is!
  • Is it tonight that you go out of the competition? You know, the one you brought the SA bloke over for two days. 
  • Have never ventured onto this thread before, but I went through a phase in my younger years of avidly following Kent - to the point I can even picture a line up in my head...... is the following right?

Ward
    Benson
    Hooper
    Taylor
    Llong
    Fleming
    Marsh
    Ealham
    McCague
    Igglesdon
    Patel

Just popped into my head just now. Was it a decent team?
  • Sponsored links:

• Nervous about this tonight big time 
  • Have never ventured onto this thread before, but I went through a phase in my younger years of avidly following Kent - to the point I can even picture a line up in my head...... is the following right?

Ward
    Benson
    Hooper
    Taylor
    Llong
    Fleming
    Marsh
    Ealham
    McCague
    Igglesdon
    Patel

Didn't Neil Taylor open with Benson?

I liked that Kent team.

Ward
    Benson
    Hooper
    Taylor
    Llong
    Fleming
    Marsh
    Ealham
    McCague
    Igglesdon
    Patel

Taylor opened with ward at 3 maybe ?
  • Loved seeing Hooper bat when they used to show the sunday league on BBC2
  • Is it tonight that you go out of the competition? You know, the one you brought the SA bloke over for two days. 
    Er it's the last game so it is possible. But hasn't that possibility been discussed before on this thread and the Surrey one? Keep up, lol!!!
  • Essex win the toss (something else Bilbo can't win) and have elected to lose bat first.
    You're either a really dedicated and conscientious WUM or there's something a bit wrong with your brain. 

Ward
    Benson
    Hooper
    Taylor
    Llong
    Fleming
    Marsh
    Ealham
    McCague
    Igglesdon
    Patel

That sounds right for about 1989/90 sort of time. Maybe a bit later. 
  • Fred strikes ! 

Westley gone... 21-1
  • MrOneLung said:
    Have never ventured onto this thread before, but I went through a phase in my younger years of avidly following Kent - to the point I can even picture a line up in my head...... is the following right?

Ward
    Benson
    Hooper
    Taylor
    Llong
    Fleming
    Marsh
    Ealham
    McCague
    Igglesdon
    Patel

Taylor opened with ward at 3 maybe ?
    My memory is that Ward opened with Mark, with Taylor moved down to 3!