Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Kent CCC 2019

Comments

• 50 partnership up.

97-1 at half-way, Essex were 101-3.

We're in a good position ...

... to stuff it up again in the last three overs.
    Hmmm.

Wasn't a million miles off with that last-line prediction.

Deja-vu all over again.
  • I'm concentrating on winning the Ashes now....

...from the comfort of my sofa. 

Damned sight cheaper than travelling to Kent matches.

With you on that. And Charlton! Will need to contain myself in the home section tomorrow

With you on that. And Charlton! Will need to contain myself in the home section tomorrow
    I'm concentrating on winning the Ashes now....

Good luck ! 
  • Surely Stevens would have made a better contribution in the last three pressure games when pace off seemed to do better than pace on. Viljoen went for plenty in the last three games. Hindsight, I know and he hardly featured for Derbyshire but we missed a wiser old head in these pressure games. After 35 years of watching Kent, I can only think of a handful of games we have held our nerve. Worcestershire last year in the 50 over tournament and the 20/20 win in 2007. Winning big games is not in our DNA in recent decades....
  • Got that wrong about Denly opening with Roy....Denly will open ‘instead’ of Roy but no mention of where Roy will bat.......if at all.
    He'll bat for Surrey in the T20 Blast. 

Next year's of course seeing that they are out of this year's already :)
    Ouch 
    I have about 90 minutes to be smug before Kent screw it up as well!
    I did enjoy those 90 minutes too
  • We're in the 'nice' section not the Whitley bit! I guess it is all relative

• Cajetan said:
    Surely Stevens would have made a better contribution in the last three pressure games when pace off seemed to do better than pace on. Viljoen went for plenty in the last three games. Hindsight, I know and he hardly featured for Derbyshire but we missed a wiser old head in these pressure games. After 35 years of watching Kent, I can only think of a handful of games we have held our nerve. Worcestershire last year in the 50 over tournament and the 20/20 win in 2007. Winning big games is not in our DNA in recent decades....
    Clutching at straws with Steveo I fear. Actually played 4 games for Derbyshire averaging 10.33 with the bat and had bowling figures of 4-0-43-0. When you add to that you have to try to hide a 43 year old in T20 and you have to come to the conclusion that he wouldn't have been the solution.

We simply weren't good enough especially in the bowling department. Nabi's untimely departure and the loss of Milne was massive and there is no doubt that we would have got over the line had we been able to play in either in one of those close finishes against Surrey, Gloucs or possibly even tonight.
  • edited August 2019
    My Essex supporting son was buzzing with this result and them qualifying .
    I’d already written them off and told him they won’t get through even if they win cos Glamorgan had to win their first match in 14 (4 no results they’d had) for it to happen ....and they did!
    Luckily for me I don’t support any county cricket team .
    I’ve never felt an allegiance to anyone .
    Being a South East Londoner I liked Surrey and Lords cos I’d been to their grounds as a youngster , Essex cos of John Lever , Kent cos of Alan Knott , Warwickshire cos of Bob Willis , Notts cos of Derek Randall etc etc 
    I save all my irrational passion and love for The Addicks .

• Sponsored links:

• What I’ve learnt from the last 3 games is that Kent aren’t very good at chasing totals
  • To be fair both of Essex games against Glamorgan were rained off
  • no idea where kent go from now. that bowling line up last night would have looked out of place in the kent league.  you're telling me stevens wasn't good enough to play last night??  find it so strange there wasn't a single overseas bowler out there. 
  • What I’ve learnt from the last 3 games is that Kent aren’t very good at chasing totals
    seems about right. I thought we were good at defending totals earlier. However that option was severely dented with the injury to Milne. I don't think the current bowling line up could defend a total. 
  • 3 of the 4 quarter finals won by the team from the Northern group. But good win for Essex over Lancashire who won the group comfortably
  • 3 of the 4 quarter finals won by the team from the Northern group. But good win for Essex over Lancashire who won the group comfortably
    Although Lancy weren't playing at home in that QF.

How much did it hinder them playing at Durham instead of Old Trafford?
  • https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/claydon-to-join-sussex-next-season/

Mitch Claydon to join Sussex next year. I guess he can fill in when Jofra is away  :)
  • Jofra won't be playing for Sussex much next year. heavy international calendar with 6 test, 5 ODI's and 6 T20's. In the 2 week gap end of July I suspect he will be playing for Surrey or Hampshire in the 100. 
  • https://www.kentcricket.co.uk/news/claydon-to-join-sussex-next-season/

Mitch Claydon to join Sussex next year. I guess he can fill in when Jofra is away  :)
    Mitch was a good servant but if we do have serious ambitions to progress we need better.

I wish him all the best though he had his good moments for us over the years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Stevens and Claydon have combined ages of over 80 and time for us to bring on the younger generation. Really surprised that the latter, in particular, has been able to secure a new contract.

Wish them both the best.
  • edited September 2019
    Billings*, Bell-Drummond, Claydon, Cox, Crawley, Kuhn, Milnes, O’Riordan, Podmore, Rayner, Robinson, Stevens squad for the game tomorrow. interesting to see no dickson in the squad. Think apart from the beckenham knocks, he has struggled to make any runs this season
  • Billings*, Bell-Drummond, Claydon, Cox, Crawley, Kuhn, Milnes, O’Riordan, Podmore, Rayner, Robinson, Stevens squad for the game tomorrow. interesting to see no dickson in the squad. Think apart from the beckenham knocks, he has struggled to make any runs this season
    Three immediate thoughts:

(1) Claydon and Stevens in the squad and potentially playing what might be their last games for the county

(2) Just the 4 keepers in the team?

(4) Darren Stevens was 25 years old when Jordan Cox was born. Prior to them both playing together previously, I wonder if we have ever had such a big age gap in a First Class match.
  • Billings*, Bell-Drummond, Claydon, Cox, Crawley, Kuhn, Milnes, O’Riordan, Podmore, Rayner, Robinson, Stevens squad for the game tomorrow. interesting to see no dickson in the squad. Think apart from the beckenham knocks, he has struggled to make any runs this season
    Hadn't noticed Dickson had been left out. I wonder who will open with Crawley?

(1) Claydon and Stevens in the squad and potentially playing what might be their last games for the county

(4) Darren Stevens was 25 years old when Jordan Cox was born. Prior to them both playing together previously, I wonder if we have ever had such a big age gap in a First Class match.
    Frank Woolley and Doug Wright was 27 years age difference. There could be more from the old days.
    D B-D would be the logical choice from that selection.
  • LenGlover said:
    Billings*, Bell-Drummond, Claydon, Cox, Crawley, Kuhn, Milnes, O’Riordan, Podmore, Rayner, Robinson, Stevens squad for the game tomorrow. interesting to see no dickson in the squad. Think apart from the beckenham knocks, he has struggled to make any runs this season

Frank Woolley and Doug Wright was 27 years age difference. There could be more from the old days.
    Before my time Len ;-)
  • LenGlover said:
    Not opened for a while though, he seems to be more of a middle order all rounder now
  • LenGlover said:
    Not opened for a while though, he seems to be more of a middle order all rounder now
    I agree but if not him then who? Does Cox open? Bit risky given his inexperience though.
  • LenGlover said:
    DBD would be and no inside knowledge (honest!) but Ollie Robinson scored a very good, by all accounts, 130* opening for Bexley on Saturday so is it possible that he might be given an opportunity? If Cox was in the team then Ollie wouldn't necessarily have to keep either.