Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Karlan Grant moves to Huddersfield

Comments

• Options

Example of 1 player who showed "Loyalty."

Jamie Vardy was offered 120k to go to Arsenal a couple of seasons ago.
    Leicester then offered him 100k to stay.

Jamie was playing every week at Leicester and getting his adrenaline rush. If he moved to Arsenal he would rotate with the other forwards.
    100k to 120k doesn't change your affulence life style plus he had already won the Premier title and they want to make a Hollywood film about his rise from the non League to title winner, more dosh.

Say Grant was on 3k, the ITK folk said 6K was on offer at Cafc.
    Grant was offered 20K with a 3 and a half year contract and a chance to tell his grand children he played games in the Premiership. (Before playing in the Championship for the rest of his career most likely)

Loyalty doesn't come into it for a 21 year old like Grant.
    Vardy was all ready set up for life at Leicester so his decision also wasn't to do with loyalty but where he felt he would get more games time. (29 or 30 when he turned Arsenal down)

So he showed loyalty by staying for more money than he was on? What would have happened if Leicester hadn’t have offered him the £100k?

Football fans wanting loyalty seems a bizarre concept to me as it is completely one way.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Jamie was playing every week at Leicester and getting his adrenaline rush. If he moved to Arsenal he would rotate with the other forwards.
    100k to 120k doesn't change your affulence life style plus he had already won the Premier title and they want to make a Hollywood film about his rise from the non League to title winner, more dosh.

Grant was offered 20K with a 3 and a half year contract and a chance to tell his grand children he played games in the Premiership. (Before playing in the Championship for the rest of his career most likely)

Vardy was all ready set up for life at Leicester so his decision also wasn't to do with loyalty but where he felt he would get more games time. (29 or 30 when he turned Arsenal down)

So he showed loyalty by staying for more money than he was on? What would have happened if Leicester hadn’t have offered him the £100k?

Football fans wanting loyalty seems a bizarre concept to me as it is completely one way.
    I was thinking that, its not the best example from @soapboxsam

If you are on 100k already an extra 20k isnt much in the grand scheme of things.

Now had Leicester offered 40k or 50k woulf we then have seen loyalty, I doubt it
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

How many people would stay loyal to their company/place of work if a competitor came along and offered to quadruple their wages?

Seriously I’m so fed up of reading this argument because it’s not comparable at all.
  • Options

Pedant alert.

If Charlton offered him £6K and Huddersfield are at £20k then he has not quadrupled his salary. 😀.

Yes he has as he was, in that scenario, on £3k.
  • Options

Pedant alert.

If Charlton offered him £6K and Huddersfield are at £20k then he has not quadrupled his salary. 😀.

If you’re being super pedantic surely you would measure the salary he was actually on rather against what he moved to to accurately measure how much it has increased by - which I would imagine is not too far off quadruple.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The arguments one way and the other about whether KG should have stayed now done to death. So I will simply add this.

If KG had stayed, he would now be having a bit of lunch in a nice wine bar down in Greenwich. Probably later he would have gone up to the West End, first for a bit of shopping for some of the latest fashions, then onto a club where he might have met a couple of Swedish girls over here on holiday who were keen to get to know a professional footballer. Then back to his flat overlooking the Thames.

As it happens, KG has just finished training and his new mates have asked him to go down the local Working Mens Club for a pint and a game of dominos. There he meets the ex-local miners who tell him about the pit strike in the 80s and how it decimated the area. Still its quiz night in the local and its somewhere to go while he gets to know the area.

KG has also just realised Huddersfield is a long way away from London and is beginning to wonder whether he should have waited until the end of the season and see what other offers came in for him.

• Options

How much loyalty did Taylor show to Wimbledon?

They made him a star after a non league career, let his contact run down so they got no fee and left for a club in the same division.

But we didn't slag Lyle off?

Why not or does this "loyalty" only apply when leaving but not joining Charlton?

For the record I don't think Taylor did anything wrong

spot on, but this is football fans, bias applies everywhere.
  • Options
    ok so maybe i am in the wrong im frustrated more by our owner,

how many have joined in with various scott parker songs over the years?
  • Options

PopIcon said:

How many people would stay loyal to their company/place of work if a competitor came along and offered to quadruple their wages?

None, they would all jump ship.
    Palarsehater would stay because he's not childish :wink:
  • Options
    Hudds > London is less than 3 hours on the train, it's hardly a long way.
  • Options

Totally different situation though, we didn't want to sell Parker, he forced the issue. I've not heard anything about Grant doing that.
  • Options

Totally different situation though, we didn't want to sell Parker, he forced the issue. I've not heard anything about Grant doing that.
    Add to that we were already in the Prem and arguably had a good chance of European football, and he left us to sit on the Chelsea bench.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    This thread is why I both love and hate CL.

I liked Karlan, his hard work was admirable and the outcome was the clear improvement in his displays.

He was approached as a L1 player by a premier league team and has gone straight into their match day squad.

Not sure what that really says about us, them or the level we find ourselves.

Biggest problem isn't Karlan's fault.

We sold all bar one of our *fit* first team forwards and brought in 1/2 of one with Parker primarily being an attacking mid.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

There’s a big difference between the behaviour of the two players in the scenarios (unless I’ve missed something about Grant).
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:

PopIcon said:

Seriously I’m so fed up of reading this argument because it’s not comparable at all.
    How are they not comparable? How is it any difference from someone doing an apprenticeship and then moving on?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    When Grant left, Charlton* had £1.5 million to spend on, say, two £500.000 players and their wages to help with the promotion push. They had to time to do that as his departure was signalled in advance. Charlton* decided not to do that. Can’t blame Grant for that.

* For Charlton read Roland.
  • Options

se9addick said:

I was thinking that, its not the best example from @soapboxsam

If you are on 100k already an extra 20k isnt much in the grand scheme of things.

Now had Leicester offered 40k or 50k woulf we then have seen loyalty, I doubt it
    That was the reason I put Loyalty in speech marks, even for Vardy, Leicester increased his basic wage and I gave the reasons why he didn't need to move, nothing to do with loyalty when you have it so good where you are.
  • Options

Hudds > London is less than 3 hours on the train, it's hardly a long way.

You tried getting anywhere in this country quickly these days!
  • Options

Nail on head.
  • Options

Some amazing "loyalty" shown to KG in June 2018 by @golfaddick on the "2 footballers arrested in Ibiza" thread:

"They might be innocent but I would still "sack" them (pay up the contracts / never play them again) as they obviously have no scruples. May be harsh but they get well paid, even at their age, and "fame" comes with a price. I do not want the 2 already named players involved with our club at all from now on & if they ever set foot on a football pitch when I'm in attendance they will get dogs abuse from the first to the last minute."

LOL!

F***** Golfie there A2TR!
  • Options

Some amazing "loyalty" shown to KG in June 2018 by @golfaddick on the "2 footballers arrested in Ibiza" thread:

"They might be innocent but I would still "sack" them (pay up the contracts / never play them again) as they obviously have no scruples. May be harsh but they get well paid, even at their age, and "fame" comes with a price. I do not want the 2 already named players involved with our club at all from now on & if they ever set foot on a football pitch when I'm in attendance they will get dogs abuse from the first to the last minute."

LOL!

Framed Elfs? :wink:
  • Options
    PopIcon said:

Me, my company have invested a lot in me and I have repaid that loyalty by staying when I could have gone elsewhere for a lot more money (ok it helps as her indoors has a great job at Barclays). Money isn't everything.

Its a sad state of affairs that this is the be all and end all of everything.

You seem to be judged by what you earn rather than the person you are these days.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

LOL!

Framed Elfs? :wink:
    On the wall.