Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ongoing opposition to horse racing and the success we realise

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2019

White English People ??? No paddies like horse racing then or does that not fit into your racism

Please explain, how in the context I used that term, it is racist ?
    I think you're both on the same side of the argument and getting your wires mixed.
  • Options
    No Horse Racing = No Race Horses, who wins then?.

Make the fences safer & make the races shorter so there are less tired horses, but more urgently get this thread title sorted.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Ah. Hide it away where most people won't see it. And, meanwhile, business as usual for The Sport of Kings thread, the Betting thread, etc. That's the way, isn't it?

Anyway... the petition was but one part of the arsenal. Some sneered at it, predicting that it would fail to reach 50,000.
    The debate in the Commons raised issues that would not have been aired had the petition not occurred. The authorities were rattled by it and the publicity that resulted.
    The BHA's review and the Jockey Club's re-siting of the fence could have happened in years past, had the will been there to do so. There were, after all, multiple deaths before 2018. Now, at last, we see some degree of change.
    It has not been easy. For example, I wrote to the racecourse and was ignored. So I wrote again. And again, no response.
    Numerous others contacted them, too. We don't give up.

This is a public forum. Issues of concern can be raised and debated in the public domain.

Not a question of hiding it away. As for the Sport of Kings thread - the clue is in the name. SPORT.
    I personally wouldn’t call pushing an animal to its limits, Sport, I’d call it abuse and sport for who, I doubt the horse would call it sport?

Another example of Mans assumption that because he can dominate another species he should do so and then stick Sport in the title and that makes it ok!

Why don’t we have Piggy 🐷 Back racing and the Jockey 🏇 can whip the man instead!
    Man has been dominating animals for as long as man has been eating meat - a bit like lions dominating zebra. Domestication made it easier and man has been riding horses as a tool of transport for anywhere between 4000 and 6000 years.

As a lover of horseracing I am delighted that Cheltenham are taking further steps to improve the safety of horse and jockey - a process that has been ongoing for a number of years. I welcome the changes and support them unreservedly.

The ultimate aim however for the horse welfare lobby is to ban horseracing completely - something that I would not support.

Doesn't make it right!

Not a very good analogy because that's about food and survival.

Yes and Horses, Donkeys, Elephants and many other animals are used in the name of Tourist enjoyment, flogging animals under the midday sun to take tourists around cities to see "the sights" not being given sufficient rest, water and food. Once again Man exploiting others, as he always does!
  • Options

bobmunro said:

Ah. Hide it away where most people won't see it. And, meanwhile, business as usual for The Sport of Kings thread, the Betting thread, etc. That's the way, isn't it?

Anyway... the petition was but one part of the arsenal. Some sneered at it, predicting that it would fail to reach 50,000.
    The debate in the Commons raised issues that would not have been aired had the petition not occurred. The authorities were rattled by it and the publicity that resulted.
    The BHA's review and the Jockey Club's re-siting of the fence could have happened in years past, had the will been there to do so. There were, after all, multiple deaths before 2018. Now, at last, we see some degree of change.
    It has not been easy. For example, I wrote to the racecourse and was ignored. So I wrote again. And again, no response.

This is a public forum. Issues of concern can be raised and debated in the public domain.

Not a question of hiding it away. As for the Sport of Kings thread - the clue is in the name. SPORT.
    I personally wouldn’t call pushing an animal to its limits, Sport, I’d call it abuse and sport for who, I doubt the horse would call it sport?

Another example of Mans assumption that because he can dominate another species he should do so and then stick Sport in the title and that makes it ok!

Why don’t we have Piggy 🐷 Back racing and the Jockey 🏇 can whip the man instead!
    Man has been dominating animals for as long as man has been eating meat - a bit like lions dominating zebra. Domestication made it easier and man has been riding horses as a tool of transport for anywhere between 4000 and 6000 years.

As a lover of horseracing I am delighted that Cheltenham are taking further steps to improve the safety of horse and jockey - a process that has been ongoing for a number of years. I welcome the changes and support them unreservedly.

The ultimate aim however for the horse welfare lobby is to ban horseracing completely - something that I would not support.

Doesn't make it right!

Yes and Horses, Donkeys, Elephants and many other animals are used in the name of Tourist enjoyment, flogging animals under the midday sun to take tourists around cities to see "the sights" not being given sufficient rest, water and food. Once again Man exploiting others, as he always does!
    Boycott FedEx now. Exploiting animals like they do.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Addickted said:

bobmunro said:

Doesn't make it right!

And your point is?

ANIMALS ARE NOT OURS
    to experiment on, eat, wear, use for entertainment, or abuse in any other way.

Peta.
  • Options

I never see a thread about the process of halal meat on here. You know, the slaughter of live animals.

You may not have seen it, but we've definitely had that discussion on here (probably more than once, knowing CL).
  • Options
    Gillis said:

I never see a thread about the process of halal meat on here. You know, the slaughter of live animals.

You may not have seen it, but we've definitely had that discussion on here (probably more than once, knowing CL).
    Thanks. Another poster sent me the link to such a thread which began in April 2018.
    Given how close the Cheltenham Festival, Aintree Festival and the underhand petition thread were, I found it surprising that those who are so anti horse racing and all for animal welfare, failed to comment on the thread let alone start one.
  • Options

Addickted said:

bobmunro said:

Doesn't make it right!

And your point is?

ANIMALS ARE NOT OURS
    to experiment on, eat, wear, use for entertainment, or abuse in any other way.

Peta.
    The point being humans have always exploited other animals - whether horses or other humans.

That, and trying to inject some humour into the thread.
  • Options
    Surely there's a place in sport for humans to race along carrying horses on their backs?
  • Options
    Puzzled why we now frown upon animals being exploited for “entertainment” in circus’s and only acceptable in zoos when associated with conservation projects but are quite happy to train horses to be exploited for human entertainment with racing and show jumping.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

CAFCsayer said:

Oh do fuck off

I take it you mean me?
    Tsk.
    If that's true whatever happened to creative thinking amongst the young?
    Or even creative abuse?
    Quite self-absorbed... It was directed at OP.
  • Options

Puzzled why we now frown upon animals being exploited for “entertainment” in circus’s and only acceptable in zoos when associated with conservation projects but are quite happy to train horses to be exploited for human entertainment with racing and show jumping.

Especially with the case of Darren Weir prominent in the news.
  • Options
    Why on earth was my comment deleted? He is clearly being facetious and attention seeking
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Why on earth was my comment deleted? He is clearly being facetious and attention seeking

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/84579/admin-moderation-update-please-read#latest
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

seth plum said:

CAFCsayer said:

Oh do fuck off

I take it you mean me?
    Tsk.
    If that's true whatever happened to creative thinking amongst the young?
    Or even creative abuse?
    Quite self-absorbed... It was directed at OP.
    No. Your post followed mine without further clues.
    That is why I assumed you were talking to me.
  • Options

Horses love to run
    Bears don’t like to dance, juggle , balance on balls
  • Options

I never understand this no horse racing argument

the horses are bred specifically to race so if you banned it they wouldn’t exist - that’s a net loss of c 20,000 horses every year - that doesn’t seem like a great benefit to society to wipe them out.

they don’t just meander about wandering up the high street wondering what to do next and get forced into racing.

I am now imagining a horse at The Job Centre signing on and being told he cant do office work because he doesnt have the skills but there is an opening in the 4.30 and Aintree and if he doesnt take it his JSA will be suspended
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    <b>  Horses love to run </b>  Bears don’t like to dance, juggle , balance on balls
    Maybe but not necessarily with someone on their back using a whip!
  • Options

the horses are bred specifically to race so if you banned it they wouldn’t exist - that’s a net loss of c 20,000 horses every year - that doesn’t seem like a great benefit to society to wipe them out.

they don’t just meander about wandering up the high street wondering what to do next and get forced into racing.

Well if they’re bred for racing then that would suggest they are forced, do they have a choice?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Addickted said:
    Ah. Hide it away where most people won't see it. And, meanwhile, business as usual for The Sport of Kings thread, the Betting thread, etc. That's the way, isn't it? Anyway... the petition was but one part of the arsenal. Some sneered at it, predicting that it would fail to reach 50,000. The debate in the Commons raised issues that would not have been aired had the petition not occurred. The authorities were rattled by it and the publicity that resulted. The BHA's review and the Jockey Club's re-siting of the fence could have happened in years past, had the will been there to do so. There were, after all, multiple deaths before 2018. Now, at last, we see some degree of change. It has not been easy. For example, I wrote to the racecourse and was ignored. So I wrote again. And again, no response. Numerous others contacted them, too. We don't give up. This is a public forum. Issues of concern can be raised and debated in the public domain.
    I personally wouldn’t call pushing an animal to its limits, Sport, I’d call it abuse and sport for who, I doubt the horse would call it sport? Another example of Mans assumption that because he can dominate another species he should do so and then stick Sport in the title and that makes it ok! Why don’t we have Piggy 🐷 Back racing and the Jockey 🏇 can whip the man instead!
    Man has been dominating animals for as long as man has been eating meat - a bit like lions dominating zebra. Domestication made it easier and man has been riding horses as a tool of transport for anywhere between 4000 and 6000 years. As a lover of horseracing I am delighted that Cheltenham are taking further steps to improve the safety of horse and jockey - a process that has been ongoing for a number of years. I welcome the changes and support them unreservedly. The ultimate aim however for the horse welfare lobby is to ban horseracing completely - something that I would not support.
    Doesn't make it right! Not a very good analogy because that's about food and survival. Yes and Horses, Donkeys, Elephants and many other animals are used in the name of Tourist enjoyment, flogging animals under the midday sun to take tourists around cities to see "the sights" not being given sufficient rest, water and food. Once again Man exploiting others, as he always does!
    And your point is? ANIMALS ARE NOT OURS to experiment on, eat, wear, use for entertainment, or abuse in any other way. Peta.
    The point being humans have always exploited other animals - whether horses or other humans. That, and trying to inject some humour into the thread.
    Why do you need to inject humour?

To some, animal abuse, is not a laughing matter!
  • Options

Well if they’re bred for racing then that would suggest they are forced, do they have a choice?
    So, as someone has asked before, would you rather they were not bred at all? 
  • Options

Well, I’m thinking if they’re not bred, then presumably they won’t exist, so then it doesn’t matter?

I don’t think animals should be bred for our sporting pleasure.
  • Options

Well, I’m thinking if they’re not bred, then presumably they won’t exist, so then it doesn’t matter?

Unless the animals enjoy their lives presumably?
  • Options
    edited February 2019

So you want the thoroughbred horse to cease to exist.
    Cats and dogs and various other pets are also only bred for the enjoyment/pleasure of the human race. I take it you want all of those animals to also cease to exist?