Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ongoing opposition to horse racing and the success we realise

12346»

Comments

• And another thread bites the dust....
  • Addickted said:
    And another thread bites the dust....
    A shame that people on all sides can't be civil. And another thread in which I won't find a response to several points I tend to reiterate. Ah well.
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Addickted said:
    And another thread bites the dust....
    A shame that people on all sides can't be civil. And another thread in which I won't find a response to several points I tend to reiterate. Ah well.
    Stick to the NFL thread mate. The Upbeats need your money  ;-) 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    I am addressing a portion of the debate, one also raised by Callum in a different way.
    No you're not, you're company black people to horses
    No I am not. I am addressing the notion that horses wouldn't exist in such numbers if there was no horseracing.
    I am not sure racing is established as a contribution to horse conservation, I believe there are other reasons for racing.
    It is the weakness of the argument, which would have been weak coming from slave owners.
    I didn't mention the colour of any slaves (what colour(s) were slaves in Roman times?), It says something about your preoccupation rather than mine that you differentiate it down to 'black people'.

Then the answer for that is pretty simple, and Peanuts put it best earlier - most of us who enjoy horse racing accept the 0.2% fatality rate per runner (1% of horses) as a price to pay for thoroughbreds to exist.

So lets get this right @paddyP17, you're quite happy for horses to die, so long as you and others can continue to enjoy and get pleasure from horse racing?

•  @Anna_Kissed

The logical conclusion to your beliefs may be that horses would come fairly close to extinction. Presumably you don’t believe in recreational riding, or zoos, or military ceremonial or police use, so where would any remaining horses go? 
    I know there are some wild horses in the U.K. but not very many. 
    Who would be responsible for their welfare, or should they be left to fend for themselves? 

It would seem to me that they might be heading towards extinction as a species. Or do you think we should breed a few just to remind us what a great species they once were?
    In a way, wouldn’t we be wiping them out just so that some don’t feel guilty that we’re exploiting them?

• @Anna_Kissed thank you. First off, many apologies for my lack of response to your message. This evidently slipped my mind, and it's both remiss and inconsiderate of me.

I am currently soaking up the matchday and will furnish a response either this evening or tomorrow morning. I have read your response above, and there are myriad just and valid concerns, of course, many of which I share. But at the root of it is that I (and others) want racing to continue and our moral values differ, which is at the crux of it.

I'd like to thank you by the way for being so consistently level headed - it's people who approach life (and Internet debates!) like you that engenders civility and cohesion, I suppose. Even though we disagree!

Here's hoping for three points today - let's bring home the bagels :wink: 
  • se9addick said:
    This type of thread is aimed at those of us on here who like horseracing in order, I suspect, to wind us up.
    As others have stated, when questions are asked of those who want to ban the sport, answers are not forthcoming.
    They claim to love animals. Why then, do none of them start threads on halal meat and its production. In fact in a discussion on that topic in April 2018, none of the anti horseracing brigade even posted on it. But they soon jump in on here.
    Probably because they know they have few, if any, Muslims posting on here. Whereas, there are plenty of horseracing fans to have a dig at.
    As well as not wanting to offend, in their eyes, a religious group.
    Why do these threads only appear at the same time of year ? Close to the big NH festivals perhaps ?
    Several post on here but they never answer questions put to them - at least 3 of us have stated as much. 

Didn’t someone say earlier that the vast majority of animals slaughtered in  this country in compliance with Halal requirements are actually stunned? Why do you keep bringing it up? 
    Because no one ever bloody answers.
    I did. And you ignored it. Go figure.
  • iainment said:
    se9addick said:
    This type of thread is aimed at those of us on here who like horseracing in order, I suspect, to wind us up.
    As others have stated, when questions are asked of those who want to ban the sport, answers are not forthcoming.
    They claim to love animals. Why then, do none of them start threads on halal meat and its production. In fact in a discussion on that topic in April 2018, none of the anti horseracing brigade even posted on it. But they soon jump in on here.
    Probably because they know they have few, if any, Muslims posting on here. Whereas, there are plenty of horseracing fans to have a dig at.
    Why do these threads only appear at the same time of year ? Close to the big NH festivals perhaps ?
    Several post on here but they never answer questions put to them - at least 3 of us have stated as much. 

Didn’t someone say earlier that the vast majority of animals slaughtered in  this country in compliance with Halal requirements are actually stunned? Why do you keep bringing it up? 
    Still waiting.
  • iainment said:
    se9addick said:

You did, eventually, but then I had to repeat my point in at least 3 posts. 
    In recognition that you eventually replied, I actually liked your post too.
  • Hi AK - I've read through your response more thoroughly and apologies for the delay in my response. Life gets in the way sometimes. 

I don't really think I have a fulsome reply that would further our points of view any more, and I am grateful for the elaboration you provide. We disagree and I suspect our discussion would become rather cyclical if I carried on further. But, your point of view is completely understandable and I appreciate your reasoning and philosophy in your approach to animal welfare.

As for my question on pets - again, I don't think I had a response because your view is essentially in line with mine. I find for-profit puppy mills and the like abhorrent, and indeed there are a lot of concerns I have about certain breeds being selectively bred (pugs for instance, who I understand can't really breathe properly). I don't know enough about Crufts per se to make a judgement call, though, but I would hope and presume that (much like horse racing) training comes from a place of love, as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• When it comes to the equine influenza situation, I think the BHA are doing an excellent job, and their daily reports and re-evaluations are the best way of going about this, given their mutual interest in both ensuring livelihoods and horse welfare.

Richard Fahey has got it wrong, absolutely. And I think the recent positive tests in Crisford's yard can be concerning, given he is based at Headquarters (the name of course given to Newmarket given its importance to horse racing).

I'd be happy to see a stop period extended should further cases in other stables arise before this evening, but otherwise, racing should continue.