Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ongoing opposition to horse racing and the success we realise

Comments

• Options

I never understand this no horse racing argument

the horses are bred specifically to race so if you banned it they wouldn’t exist - that’s a net loss of c 20,000 horses every year - that doesn’t seem like a great benefit to society to wipe them out.

they don’t just meander about wandering up the high street wondering what to do next and get forced into racing.

Well if they’re bred for racing then that would suggest they are forced, do they have a choice?
    So, as someone has asked before, would you rather they were not bred at all? 
    Well, I’m thinking if they’re not bred, then presumably they won’t exist, so then it doesn’t matter?

I don’t think animals should be bred for our sporting pleasure.
    So you want the thoroughbred horse to cease to exist.
    Cats and dogs and various other pets are also only bred for the enjoyment/pleasure of the human race. I take it you want all of those animals to also cease to exist? 
    I repeat, I don’t think animals should be bred/used for our sporting pleasure!

I’ll repeat the Peta quote,

‘Animals are not ours, to experiment on, eat, wear, entertain or abuse.’

I think that’s a very clear message, isn’t it?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

the horses are bred specifically to race so if you banned it they wouldn’t exist - that’s a net loss of c 20,000 horses every year - that doesn’t seem like a great benefit to society to wipe them out.

they don’t just meander about wandering up the high street wondering what to do next and get forced into racing.

Well if they’re bred for racing then that would suggest they are forced, do they have a choice?
    Well, I’m thinking if they’re not bred, then presumably they won’t exist, so then it doesn’t matter?

Unless the animals enjoy their lives presumably?
    Well as they can’t speak, we’ll never know!
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Who says they can’t!

And Peta has a checkered history. 
  • Options

Cats and dogs and various other pets are also only bred for the enjoyment/pleasure of the human race. I take it you want all of those animals to also cease to exist? 

So you agree with the position that medical research for the benefit of mankind should not be carried out using animals?
  • Options

It's clear that they would like to see the extinction of many species of animal then. 
  • Options
    I've also experienced that the same anti pollution, vegan, anti horse racing people are happy to ask for a lift to Southend as long as they don't have to pay their share of the petrol and don't buy a round, despite having enjoyed 5 previous rounds. The truth sounds rather nasty. But them's the facts. Apologies for saying it as it is. 
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    bobmunro said:

So you agree with the position that medical research for the benefit of mankind should not be carried out using animals?
    Yes. Evidence suggests it’s not a good indicator, that it will benefit humans.

And what gives us the right to do that, other than Mans ability to dominate another species?
  • Options
    I've also experienced that the same anti pollution, vegan, anti horse racing people are happy to ask for a lift to Southend as long as they don't have to pay their share of the petrol and don't buy a round, despite having enjoyed 5 previous rounds. The truth sounds rather nasty. But them's the facts. Apologies for saying it as it is. 
    That’s an incredibly sweeping generalisation.
  • Options

It's clear that they would like to see the extinction of many species of animal then. 
    You seem to be missing the point.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:

Who says they can’t!

And Peta has a checkered history. 
    Don’t tell me, you’re a horse whisperer?

Of course they can communicate but it you asked the question, would you prefer to be ridden to extremes, sometimes be made to jump over ridiculously high fences and beaten with a whip or leisurely gamble in a paddock, I’m not sure they could make that distinction.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You seem to be missing the point.
    You could point out where I'm going wrong. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

And what gives us the right to do that, other than Mans ability to dominate another species?

If you’ve ever taken antibiotics, had a vaccine, a blood transfusion, dialysis, an organ transplant, chemotherapy, bypass surgery or joint replacement, you have benefitted from animal testing and research. In fact, practically every drug, treatment, medical device, diagnostic tool or cure we have today was developed with the help of lab animals.

Many diseases that once killed millions of people every year are now either preventable, treatable or have been eradicated altogether. Immunizations against polio, diphtheria, mumps, rubella and hepatitis save countless lives and the survival rates for many major diseases are at an all-time high thanks to the discovery of new drugs and the design of sophisticated medical devices and surgical procedures.  

Let's hope you need none of the above to live, eh.

• Options
    Surely if you ban horse racing you have to look at equestrian events as well (sorry if the point has already been made).  The cross country endurance must be every bit as demanding as the Grand National for example or Melbourne Cup.
  • Options
    I don’t think the sport should be banned, but I would support getting rid of steeple chase and only having flat races or small hurdles. 
  • Options
    Surely if you ban horse racing you have to look at equestrian events as well (sorry if the point has already been made).  The cross country endurance must be every bit as demanding as the Grand National for example or Melbourne Cup.
    Agree.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    bobmunro said:

If you’ve ever taken antibiotics, had a vaccine, a blood transfusion, dialysis, an organ transplant, chemotherapy, bypass surgery or joint replacement, you have benefitted from animal testing and research. In fact, practically every drug, treatment, medical device, diagnostic tool or cure we have today was developed with the help of lab animals.

Many diseases that once killed millions of people every year are now either preventable, treatable or have been eradicated altogether. Immunizations against polio, diphtheria, mumps, rubella and hepatitis save countless lives and the survival rates for many major diseases are at an all-time high thanks to the discovery of new drugs and the design of sophisticated medical devices and surgical procedures.  

You may be right.

I don't take antibiotics, we now know that they aren't necessarily effective and there's now a stance not to prescribe them. Luckily I haven't had any operations since I was a kid and back then I wouldn't have known any better.

Man does what he does because he has the power to dominate, not only animals but his own race.

I wonder how we would feel if we were suddenly helpless against a much stronger race who dominated us?

I simply don't agree we should exploit animals, for me it's not ethical and if you take the Buddhist stance and that is, Not to harm another living creature and Man does over and over again, often for his own pleasure.
  • Options
    So if you needed an operation now when you know better you would turn it down?
  • Options
    Equine flu seems to have stopped horse racing for the foreseeable.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/47161779
  • Options
    They are not being influenced though..........and does that mean you will no longer go on other threads and talk about things that have no relevance to the title Sport Of Kings,Cheltenham Festival etc?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:
    bobmunro said:

I've benefitted from them but now I wouldn't want to and don't.
    There are ways to test drugs without abusing animals.

• Options
    iainment said:
    Addickted said:
    bobmunro said:

I've benefitted from them but now I wouldn't want to and don't.
    There are ways to test drugs without abusing animals.

So, if faced with a life threatening condition, Sepsis for example, you’d reject the use of life saving antibiotics ?
  • Options
    This thread concerns opposition to horse racing and how the authorities are being influenced by that opposition.
    Place the discussion of other issues elsewhere, please.
    what a suprise, im going to mention a topic and you are not allowed to comment on it if your opinion does not agree with mine. 

this defo belongs on the politics thread!!.
  • Options

Problem is PETA are a society of morons.

That quote doesn't even make sense. Animals aren't ours to entertain? What?
  • Options
    It’s the same old posters every year. Yet when you ask a direct question, silence.
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

If that’s your attitude and you can’t understand it then what does that say about you?
  • Options
    So if you needed an operation now when you know better you would turn it down?

Come on martin, give us an answer.....
  • Options
    Fiiish said:

If that’s your attitude and you can’t understand it then what does that say about you?
    Ah ok you're right, I could never be the mastermind behind such brilliant campaigns such as this one: 

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/17257234.wool-parish-council-rejects-petas-request-to-re-name-village-vegan-wool/