Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• Options
    Bar Shaheen Shah Afridi it really lacks the big star overseas talents now it's got MLC for competition. 
  • Options
    I can't see the England Test players figuring much either, as they'll be shattered or recovering from injuries after the Ashes. Poor Moeen is commentating tomorrow on the BBC, rather than putting his feet up!
  • Options
    CHG said:
    What a come down after the Ashes. Hope it is the final year and will be put to bed as a failed experiment…
    Unfortunately, a matter of weeks before he ran off with his massive bonus, the former ECB CEO, Tom Harrison negotiated at new TV deal with Sky 'til 2027 so, unless that can be re-negotiated then we are "pot committed" to this dross, for another four years. It's just a question as to whether they will buy into the yet to be agreed new competition that will be a re-vamp of the Blast with the ECB, the Counties and a group of businesses/venture capitalists as equal three way partners.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    my lad has decided he wants to go to a Hundred game, so gateway drug hopefully 
    I hear on the grapevine you shouldn't have any trouble getting tickets.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    my lad has decided he wants to go to a Hundred game, so gateway drug hopefully 
    I wonder how many youngsters are drawn in by it. Hard to say given the feedback on here, but surely 20/20 is as appealing. No need for both, but if it's on I'll watch.

I'd quite like to see some baseball (not Bazzball) but don't know where to find it. I've only ever seen one game live, the Oakland A's v the LA Angels IIRC, in 1990 whilst on a holiday, during which I also had a chance encounter with Jurgen Klinsmann, but that happened in a bar in San Luis Obispo (California).
  • Options
    Don't live near a 100 venue, but if one of my kids wanted to go, I'd be there is a heartbeat. 
  • Options
    Oh who would ever have thought that the ECB would come to the conclusion that their flagship competition was a disaster - as many predicted it would be. Well rumour has it that they have now done exactly that and are proposing a new competition that would mean re-vamping the Blast. If only they had done that in the first place instead of trying to re-invent the game with Mickey Mouse cricket and KP snacks to boot on the basis that it would become a trail blazing world competition to rival the IPL. 
    And they wouldnt have blown the vast majority of their cash reserves on it right before COVID.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    What the hundred had going for it was that it was on the TV and gave decent billing to women's cricket. The problem was the format was cack
    McBobbin said:
    What the hundred had going for it was that it was on the TV and gave decent billing to women's cricket. The problem was the format was cack
    Both could have been achieved with a revamped blast.
    You can say me saying that again
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    McBobbin said:
    Exactly!
  • Options
    Commentary definitely a second ahead of picture here 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    McBobbin said:
    McBobbin said:

• Options
     -
  • Options
     -
  • Options
    Nice couple of dots there... 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Chizz said:
    Nice couple of dots there... 
    Dashes make more sense than a lot of your posts!
  • Options
    Close finish tonight and an unusual dismissal thrown in, a batter for the Brave caught having played on to his helmet!
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Close finish tonight and an unusual dismissal thrown in, a batter for the Brave caught having played on to his helmet!
    I doubt more than a handful of people care.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Assume that's in the men's game?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited August 2023
    iaitch said:
    swordfish said:
    Assume that's in the men's game?
    Yes, and it was an attempted pull I think, but he mistimed his stroke, too far through it by the time the ball arrived, rearing up to strike his bat near the splice that was by then angled toward his head, then ricocheting off the side of his helmet and looping to a fielder rushing in from a position I'd describe as somewhere between leg gulley and square short leg who snafflled the catch!

1st Brave wicket to fall I think. At least that's how I remember it, but I wasn't paying much attention. Couldn't care less me! 😉

• Options
    My son asked me to record yesterday's men's match for him. We both sat down to watch it and within about 30 balls he had started to watch his tablet instead. I wasn't far behind...
  • Options
    CHG said:
    What a come down after the Ashes. Hope it is the final year and will be put to bed as a failed experiment…
    Unfortunately, a matter of weeks before he ran off with his massive bonus, the former ECB CEO, Tom Harrison negotiated at new TV deal with Sky 'til 2027 so, unless that can be re-negotiated then we are "pot committed" to this dross, for another four years. It's just a question as to whether they will buy into the yet to be agreed new competition that will be a re-vamp of the Blast with the ECB, the Counties and a group of businesses/venture capitalists as equal three way partners.
    Why does the Blast need a re-vamp? What's wrong with it, apart from the fact that it's not on TV as much for the casual observer to enjoy nowadays with the hundred plugged instead. T20  still has global appeal doesn't it? 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    CHG said:
    Why does the Blast need a re-vamp? What's wrong with it, apart from the fact that it's not on TV as much for the casual observer to enjoy nowadays with the hundred plugged instead. T20  still has global appeal doesn't it? 
    I agree that there isn't a lot wrong with The Blast but it needed a re-vamp in the way that it was being promoted - the inclusion and promotion of Women's teams where their games can be shown, wider access to those that don't have Sky, outside investment in order to attract better quality overseas players etc etc. We do not need four competitions - The Hundred is the reason that there is no Ashes Test in August for the first time ever, the reason why the season has to start earlier than it has ever done, the reason that there are no County Championship games in August and the reason why the season has to go on 'til the end of September. The Hundred was meant to be a flagship competition that would be unique and would rival the IPL. That could not be further from the truth. You do not see any other country playing 100 ball cricket with its associated gimmicks.
    Obviously didn't watch last night's match on Sky so wondering whether it was a sell out.

With this year's "decision" to cancel summer, how many will chance buying tickets, only to find showers/hailstones/gale force winds/low temperatures spoiling the experience and decide " no thanks" ? 
  • Options
    The men's match was a really good game, that swung both ways and culminated in a close finish. I think it will have brought more fans to cricket. 

For what it's worth, @Fanny Fanackapan there were empty seats at Trent Bridge, but I only watched the men's game, so I don't know how many of those were occupied by those who left after the women's game.  I don't know how often Trent Bridge sells out, but I suspect it was nearly, but not quite, full last night.  For comparison, I also watched the end of the Kent game, where there were very few in the ground for the denouement, but I am sure there were many, many more before the heavens opened.  Tickets are still available for Notts' next game, against Yorkshire on Saturday. 
  • Options
    With the growth of T20 leagues everywhere, do other countries still have a decent 50 over domestic competition? It's bizarre that the England team defending their 2019 win won't have played a single domestic 50 over game in preparation, but do the Australian and Indians for example still have a decent domestic cup?
  • Options
    As a live spectator, the 50 over format still has a lot to give. T20 matches (and the Hundred) feel a bit short and "disposable", whereas 50 over games give teams time to recover from setbacks (like Kent did yesterday) and then go for it.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    CHG said:
    Just have a women's game before as the only bit abut the Hundred that's good