Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:
    The men's match was a really good game, that swung both ways and culminated in a close finish. I think it will have brought more fans to cricket. 

For what it's worth, @Fanny Fanackapan there were empty seats at Trent Bridge, but I only watched the men's game, so I don't know how many of those were occupied by those who left after the women's game.  I don't know how often Trent Bridge sells out, but I suspect it was nearly, but not quite, full last night.  For comparison, I also watched the end of the Kent game, where there were very few in the ground for the denouement, but I am sure there were many, many more before the heavens opened.  Tickets are still available for Notts' next game, against Yorkshire on Saturday. 
    How many were comps though as apparently they aren't selling many tickets?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Chizz said:
    The men's match was a really good game, that swung both ways and culminated in a close finish. I think it will have brought more fans to cricket. 

For what it's worth, @Fanny Fanackapan there were empty seats at Trent Bridge, but I only watched the men's game, so I don't know how many of those were occupied by those who left after the women's game.  I don't know how often Trent Bridge sells out, but I suspect it was nearly, but not quite, full last night.  For comparison, I also watched the end of the Kent game, where there were very few in the ground for the denouement, but I am sure there were many, many more before the heavens opened.  Tickets are still available for Notts' next game, against Yorkshire on Saturday. 
    That's not a comparison - the 50 over competition has been reduced to being a second rate tournament as evidenced by the fact that both teams were missing 15 players between them. Bearing in mind we have a 50 over World Cup in a couple of months time that is a scandalous sell out. 
    Of Kent's squad of 14 for yesterday's game, half of them have played no more than a dozen first team matches between them this season and the likes of Finch, O'Riordan, Jas Singh, Bhuiyan, Bazley and Blake have made a hell of a lot more appearances for their clubs too.  I'm not surprised, though, that Chizz laughed at the above comment. He has always had a total disregard for county cricket and the infrastructure it provides, Perhaps he is Tom Harrison? 
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    CHG said:
    What a come down after the Ashes. Hope it is the final year and will be put to bed as a failed experiment…
    Unfortunately, a matter of weeks before he ran off with his massive bonus, the former ECB CEO, Tom Harrison negotiated at new TV deal with Sky 'til 2027 so, unless that can be re-negotiated then we are "pot committed" to this dross, for another four years. It's just a question as to whether they will buy into the yet to be agreed new competition that will be a re-vamp of the Blast with the ECB, the Counties and a group of businesses/venture capitalists as equal three way partners.
    Why does the Blast need a re-vamp? What's wrong with it, apart from the fact that it's not on TV as much for the casual observer to enjoy nowadays with the hundred plugged instead. T20  still has global appeal doesn't it? 
    I agree that there isn't a lot wrong with The Blast but it needed a re-vamp in the way that it was being promoted - the inclusion and promotion of Women's teams where their games can be shown, wider access to those that don't have Sky, outside investment in order to attract better quality overseas players etc etc. We do not need four competitions - The Hundred is the reason that there is no Ashes Test in August for the first time ever, the reason why the season has to start earlier than it has ever done, the reason that there are no County Championship games in August and the reason why the season has to go on 'til the end of September. The Hundred was meant to be a flagship competition that would be unique and would rival the IPL. That could not be further from the truth. You do not see any other country playing 100 ball cricket with its associated gimmicks.
    Obviously didn't watch last night's match on Sky so wondering whether it was a sell out.

With this year's "decision" to cancel summer, how many will chance buying tickets, only to find showers/hailstones/gale force winds/low temperatures spoiling the experience and decide " no thanks" ? 
    I can absolutely assure you the women's game won't be played at lords today.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

I have no idea how many were comps. I have no idea how many are usually comps at cricket matches. 

@Fanny Fanackapan was interested to know whether it was a full house. To me, it looked like it wasn't, but was still pretty full. It looked like there were maybe 14,000-15,000 there, most of whom seemed to be having a great experience. 

Where is it reported that they aren't selling many tickets? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I have no idea how many were comps. I have no idea how many are usually comps at cricket matches. 

@Fanny Fanackapan was interested to know whether it was a full house. To me, it looked like it wasn't, but was still pretty full. It looked like there were maybe 14,000-15,000 there, most of whom seemed to be having a great experience. 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hundred-has-made-loss-of-9m-says-new-report-hlcp2zkfv

'Report dives into the uncertain financial state of English cricket. The Hundred made a loss of UK£9 million (US$11.2 million) in its first two years, according to a report into the financial health of English cricket.6 Apr 2023'

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/apr/29/cricket-hundred-ecb-future-doubt

• Options
    Rizzo said:
    My son asked me to record yesterday's men's match for him. We both sat down to watch it and within about 30 balls he had started to watch his tablet instead. I wasn't far behind...
    Had a similar reaction to American football. 
    Watching a super bowl game a few years back with my dad. Must of been about 1am. This bloke from one side intercepted the ball and ran the length of the pitch to score a touchdown. Commentators were saying it could quite possibly be the best touchdown in super bowl history. I turned to my dad and without saying a word he turned the TV off and from that day on we have never spoken or seen another game of American football. Dreadful sport, nearly as bad as basketball. 
  • Options
    Its my stag do this weekend. Guess what my friends have decided I wouldn't enjoy? Watching a match of this shite! Desperately hoping the Manchester weather saves me from watching some generic red vs blue franchise shite.
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    My son asked me to record yesterday's men's match for him. We both sat down to watch it and within about 30 balls he had started to watch his tablet instead. I wasn't far behind...
    Watching a super bowl game a few years back with my dad. Must of been about 1am. This bloke from one side intercepted the ball and ran the length of the pitch to score a touchdown. Commentators were saying it could quite possibly be the best touchdown in super bowl history. I turned to my dad and without saying a word he turned the TV off and from that day on we have never spoken or seen another game of American football. Dreadful sport, nearly as bad as basketball. 
    Not a dreadful sport. Just not to your liking.
  • Options
    swordfish said:
    Rizzo said:
    Not a dreadful sport. Just not to your liking.
    Yeah you're right. Can't really class it as a sport. 
  • Options
    Its my stag do this weekend. Guess what my friends have decided I wouldn't enjoy? Watching a match of this shite! Desperately hoping the Manchester weather saves me from watching some generic red vs blue franchise shite.
    Is it the womens game to inflict more pain?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hundred-has-made-loss-of-9m-says-new-report-hlcp2zkfv

'Report dives into the uncertain financial state of English cricket. The Hundred made a loss of UK£9 million (US$11.2 million) in its first two years, according to a report into the financial health of English cricket.6 Apr 2023'

Oh right. Thanks for those links. I thought your comment about ticket sales was something to do with this season. 
  • Options
    Be good if they would promote the county game during this, mention some games people could go and see in the one day game. Get some games on terrestrial and the counties are hardly mentioned.
  • Options
    Brilliant save by Wade to save the 4 then for Spirit. 

Broad commentating. 

15 needed from 5 for invincibles. 
  • Options
    The win predictor is sliding all over the show. 

Invincibles win. 
  • Options
    great finish !
  • Options
    Still awful! Still manufactured rubbish! Still silly team names that mean absolutely sod all, have no history, no future and no real connection to areas or fans.

It’s the sporting equivalent of lift music.
  • Options
    Meanwhile in real cricket, Kent are second after the first game of the one day cup (almost sporting perfection, except it should all be played on a Sunday).
  • Options
    Anyway I’m starting to sound grumpy and some of you enjoy the format 

I shall return next year with further scathing comments……
  • Options
    IAgree said:

Can’t wait. 
  • Options
    Watching the highlights of the Wales v Manc reduced ball game and its mental. It might not be ‘cricket’ but it’s good entertainment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    IAgree said:

Starting? 
  • Options
    Was very entertaining last night.
  • Options
    Interesting little interview that. Sanjay Patel is either very smart or incredibly stupid.
  • Options
    I've never really been into cricket. My dad likes it, my sister and her wife love it, my father-in-law is really into it, so I felt like I should try... a few years ago, I tried watching/listening/following a T20 series, and found a certain enjoyment in the slow-burn tension when the chasing side is desperately looking for runs as wickets are falling.

But that was three years ago. And because I don't really follow it properly, different matches have come and gone and I've not really got back into it. Once the Ashes were halfway through this time around, I started following it again, and getting a bit of enjoyment out of it. Now The Hundred is starting up, and it's another opportunity for me to get into the sport a little more.
    It's a weird one though - the colours are so clashing and garish, it's like kids TV from the 90s. There's a guy from Love Island doing pitchside interviews. When someone hits a six, a little graphic pops up on the screen going "Oh Yeah - 6!" But it's an interesting introduction to cricket. Already in the last couple of days, my kids have started getting into it. My daughter (11, taken her to one Charlton match, struggled to get her into football much beyond that; she watched some of the Euros with me, but didn't seem to care about the World Cup) wanted to stay up late to see the last 10 balls being played. My son (7, doesn't have the concentration to watch or play any sport for more than 10 minutes at a time) asked about the result as soon as he woke up this morning.

So as a newcomer to cricket (I'm 37 by the way, I'm hardly the young target market for this competition!) it's been a useful introduction. But I guarantee, if I'd been following cricket all my life, I would be enraged by how synthetic and rootless The Hundred is.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Oh right. Thanks for those links. I thought your comment about ticket sales was something to do with this season. 
    no reason for it to change. I guess we'll find out idc
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    IAgree said:

Can’t wait. 
    OK tell me what is it about this format that you like so much?

The rich team history? The awful names? The tactics? The bright and gaudy colours? The Americanisation of one of our national games?
    The total undermining of other formats?
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Chizz said:
    IAgree said:

Starting? 
    I love one day cricket and I resent it being undermined by this attempt to make money. However feel free to argue why I should like the format.
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Seriously why? Why as a cricket fan should I watch this? 
  • Options
    IAgree said:
    Seriously why? Why as a cricket fan should I watch this? 
    Have to admit, last night's game was very tense. Not a fan of the format generally but it was exciting. Even Mrs Rizzo stayed up past her bedtime to watch the end.