Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Lest we forget, it was a policy of England Team management to have several players in the one day side who couldn't hit a six if it was handed to them on a plate. Then Sri Lanka came along and others and showed this was not the way forwards. Then we went from being the most conservative country to the most ambitious and T20 has played a big part in that. It influences the 50 over game and is now influencing Test Match cricket. I don't think the Hundred massively changes that. As a batter you need a great strike rate which comes from a variety of shots and if you get into the England team you need a respectable average too along with that. As a bowler you have to be able to restrict this with the odds against you. Skills that surely feed into 50 overs cricket to the point that T20 and The Hundred have a positive influence. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/3656891

The 2023 edition will be played as a ODI (50-over) competition - what a great idea before the ODI World Cup!

That has very little to do with The Hundred
    It has a lot to do with the Hundred and if you cant see that you are missing the point! The existing ODI competition is hugely compromised by the Hundred as was the Ashes. And most if not all the of the ENG ODI squad wold have better prep playing the same format before the WC not some barstardised format
    The Asia Cup 2023 has nothing at all to do with The Hundred.  It's an international competition, contested by Pakistan, Sri Lanka,  Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India and Nepal and started after The Hundred finals' day.  No domestic teams take part.  No individuals are excluded from taking part in the latter through playing in the former. 

It has as much to do with The Hundred as the FA Cup has to the Copa América. 

What are you on about now? I never said the Asia Cup had anything to do with the Hundred! 

Are you missing the point again or choosing to? 

1. You posted about the Asia Cup 
    2. I said it has very little to do with The Hundred 
    3. You said it "has a lot to do with The Hundred" 

That's what gave me the impression that you were suggesting the Asia Cup (to which you posted a link) "has a lot to do with The Hundred".  I apologise for misinterpreting the words you used. 

If you don't think the Asia Cup has anything to do with The Hundred, I agree.  If you think that playing International, 50-over ODIs after the Finals' Day of The Hundred is a good idea, I agree.  I think England should be doing that, rather than playing T20Is this week. 
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

The 2023 edition will be played as a ODI (50-over) competition - what a great idea before the ODI World Cup!

It has a lot to do with the Hundred and if you cant see that you are missing the point! The existing ODI competition is hugely compromised by the Hundred as was the Ashes. And most if not all the of the ENG ODI squad wold have better prep playing the same format before the WC not some barstardised format
    The Asia Cup 2023 has nothing at all to do with The Hundred.  It's an international competition, contested by Pakistan, Sri Lanka,  Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India and Nepal and started after The Hundred finals' day.  No domestic teams take part.  No individuals are excluded from taking part in the latter through playing in the former. 

I thought it was to do with the fact those countries are playing 50 over cricket to prepare for the world cup. Asia cup is normally 20 overs. During our summer we could of been doing the same but instead choose to play a version of cricket no one else plays. 
    We should be playing ODIs - specifically, 50-over ODIs - at the same time as the Asia Cup.  The timing of The Hundred doesn't prevent this. 

With regards to the format of the Asia Cup, it's not quite right to say that the Asia Cup is normally a T20 competition.  It started as a 50-over competition, but, more recently, it has alternated between 20 and 50 overs.  It seems a very sensible idea to be playing it in 50-over format this year. 
  • Options
    I watched more 100's games this year and despite not being a fan of T20 I definitely enjoyed women's cricket for the first time. I'm a fan of Lauren Bell for her fast bowling prowess. At 22 she has charisma and is tall. Saw little Tammy Beaumont smack the ball around and it has given a higher profile to the women's game.

The Men's matches felt like charity games and I pined for Counties playing each other.
    Trying to remember the names of the teams and which players are where was a constant problem.

5 day test, 4 day county and 50 over cricket are my preference but I get that I'm not the demographic that they are trying to attract.
    Families with gimmicks and singers at the break and no doubt the odd Mexican wave is not really my Rosie Lee.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I thought it was to do with the fact those countries are playing 50 over cricket to prepare for the world cup. Asia cup is normally 20 overs. During our summer we could of been doing the same but instead choose to play a version of cricket no one else plays. 
    Exactly, lol! Not rocket science (apart from some on here it seems!)
  • Options
    Rizzo said:
    One thing that goes in the Hundred's favour is the fact that you can watch it free on the BBC. It's virtually the only cricket that you can actually watch a game in full, live, without a subscription. 
    The women's game before is probably the best (only) thing. Get the Blast on terrestrial tv, add the women's game and bin the Hundred. Job done!
  • Options
    Lest we forget, it was a policy of England Team management to have several players in the one day side who couldn't hit a six if it was handed to them on a plate. Then Sri Lanka came along and others and showed this was not the way forwards. Then we went from being the most conservative country to the most ambitious and T20 has played a big part in that. It influences the 50 over game and is now influencing Test Match cricket. I don't think the Hundred massively changes that. As a batter you need a great strike rate which comes from a variety of shots and if you get into the England team you need a respectable average too along with that. As a bowler you have to be able to restrict this with the odds against you. Skills that surely feed into 50 overs cricket to the point that T20 and The Hundred have a positive influence. 
    yes, so no need for the Hundred
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

We should be playing ODIs - specifically, 50-over ODIs - at the same time as the Asia Cup.  The timing of The Hundred doesn't prevent this. 

With regards to the format of the Asia Cup, it's not quite right to say that the Asia Cup is normally a T20 competition.  It started as a 50-over competition, but, more recently, it has alternated between 20 and 50 overs.  It seems a very sensible idea to be playing it in 50-over format this year. 
    That'll be because the World Cup is 50 overs

Do you recall the domestic ODI tournament, that IS played at the same time as the Hundred?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Do you recall the domestic ODI tournament, that IS played at the same time as the Hundred?
    If you're suggesting the Asia Cup is a good pre-World Cup warm-up tournament, I agree.  If you're suggesting England should play more 50-over games in the warm-up to the World Cup, I agree.  But if you're suggesting the Asia Cup is the equivalent of a domestic competition, I don't agree.  

I think England should be playing 50-over international games in the immediate aftermath of The Hundred, as Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Nepal are doing. Not playing so many T20Is, which they are doing; and not playing low-standard, county List A games.  

But, of course, this has nothing to do with The Hundred.  I think the four T20Is against New Zealand aren't a great use of time, the following seven ODIs are a much better use of time. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

If you're suggesting the Asia Cup is a good pre-World Cup warm-up tournament, I agree.  If you're suggesting England should play more 50-over games in the warm-up to the World Cup, I agree.  But if you're suggesting the Asia Cup is the equivalent of a domestic competition, I don't agree.  

I think England should be playing 50-over international games in the immediate aftermath of The Hundred, as Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Nepal are doing. Not playing so many T20Is, which they are doing; and not playing low-standard, county List A games.  

But, of course, this has nothing to do with The Hundred.  I think the four T20Is against New Zealand aren't a great use of time, the following seven ODIs are a much better use of time. 
    No, I didn't compere the level of the Asia Cup with the level of the ODI -  you are another who quotes others saying things they haven't

But T20 is closer to 50 overs though surely! So play the Blast not the Hundred, lol! At least ENG have 4 x ODIs v NZ
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

No, I didn't compere the level of the Asia Cup with the level of the ODI -  you are another who quotes others saying things they haven't

But T20 is closer to 50 overs though surely! So play the Blast not the Hundred, lol! At least ENG have 4 x ODIs v NZ
    I didn't say you "compared" the level of the Asia Cup with the level of "the ODI".  I have no idea what that even means.  

I also have no idea why you actually brought up the Asia Cup in the first place.  If it was to use it as an example of World Cup teams preparing for the World Cup by playing 50-over ODIs, I agree, as I have said.  England should not be wasting time playing T20Is this week.  

But, yet again, the Asia Cup has nothing to do with The Hundred.  
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I don't think it will be this world cup, but maybe at the next one England will bomb out super early and we'll finally realise that we can't be having the only 50 over games in this country as glorified 2nd xi games.
    Maybe. 

But it would be interesting - perhaps on another thread - to compare whether World Cup participants have played enough (whatever "enough" is) domestic 50-over games in the lead-up to World Cup.  There don't seem to be many. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

I didn't say you "compared" the level of the Asia Cup with the level of "the ODI".  I have no idea what that even means.  

I also have no idea why you actually brought up the Asia Cup in the first place.  If it was to use it as an example of World Cup teams preparing for the World Cup by playing 50-over ODIs, I agree, as I have said.  England should not be wasting time playing T20Is this week.  

For the second time, I never said the Asia cup had anything to do with the Jundred. But the both can be part of the same discussion!

You really just can't discuss anything fairly and reasonably, can you? Have you ever been banned for  your attitude or inability to do so?
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

For the second time, I never said the Asia cup had anything to do with the Jundred. But the both can be part of the same discussion!

You really just can't discuss anything fairly and reasonably, can you? Have you ever been banned for  your attitude or inability to do so?
    The Asia Cup is an international tournament taking place this year, after the Hundred. 

There's nothing stopping England playing fifty over ODIs at the same time as the Asia Cup, except for the decision to play T20Is. 

The Hundred has had no influence on whether the Asia Cup goes ahead; or whether England chose to play ODIs, T20Is or a mixture of both, immediately afterwards. 

In my view, England should have chosen exclusively to play fifty over ODIs after The Hundred, like the participants in the Asia Cup. That they didn't is not because of The Hundred. 
  • Options
    I never said the Hundred had influence on whether the Asia Cup goes ahead, so not sure why you keep going on about it. No one said ENG Playing a mix of T20s and ODI's was anything to do with the Hundred

In my view, the players should have been playing 50 over competitions INSTEAD OF the ridiculous Hundred, which will be gone soon, hopefully.

Have you ever been banned from CL or anywhere similar Chizz? I'd be interested to know
  • Options
    I never said the Hundred had influence on whether the Asia Cup goes ahead, so not sure why you keep going on about it. No one said ENG Playing a mix of T20s and ODI's was anything to do with the Hundred

In my view, the players should have been playing 50 over competitions INSTEAD OF the ridiculous Hundred, which will be gone soon, hopefully.

Have you ever been banned from CL or anywhere similar Chizz? I'd be interested to know
    Then I am not sure why you brought up the Asia Cup.  It's not a domestic competition, it's not influenced by The Hundred and no England players can be involved.  

I think, rather than having lots of low-quality "List A" matches between counties (does the result of Glamorgan v Leicestershire really send chills down the spines of India's players?  Do Australian players really worry about the relative strengths of Somerset and Durham?) England should be playing fifty-over ODIs.  Like all the teams in the Asia Cup.  

But, of course, the scheduling of England ODIs is as unaffected by The Hundred as the Asia Cup is.  
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    No, you just don't know, do you, lol!!!!! I never said it was influenced by the Hundred nor that ENG players could be involved. You've missed the point -pretty much as usual!.

Incorrect re the scheduling and the Hundred.

But you still don't get the point and I don't think you ever will!
  • Options
    No, you just don't know, do you, lol!!!!! I never said it was influenced by the Hundred nor that ENG players could be involved. You've missed the point -pretty much as usual!.

The Asia Cup started after The Hundred. England could have chosen to play ODIs art the same time as the Asia Cup, thereby affording themselves more fifty over warm up games. 

I think England should be playing more fifty over games in the lead-up to the World Cup and should have fit them in instead of the T20Is. 

Maybe you agree with that, maybe not. 
  • Options
    England these  days  play 50 over matches like T20's 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:

The Asia Cup started after The Hundred. England could have chosen to play ODIs art the same time as the Asia Cup, thereby affording themselves more fifty over warm up games. 

I think England should be playing more fifty over games in the lead-up to the World Cup and should have fit them in instead of the T20Is. 

England players could have been playing 50 over games before now :) and would be better for it. ENG would have played more 50 over games in the lead up, if it weren't for the Hundred - yes, I know; you still don't get it. At all!

If only the BBC showed T20 matches but apparently don't/wont/can't, hence the Hundred. We've watched the T20s on Sky but miraculously, according to my FiL, the T20s have been on the BBC
  • Options
    The thing is, and Mills touched on it in commentary, England and indeed New Zealand are using these T20 games as part of their prep for he World Cup. It is the reason Mills was given for not being part of the T20 squad. The pitches also seem to be set up to be closer to Indian conditions. I wouldn't have any complaints about those running cricket in this country, especially the white ball game. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:

England players could have been playing 50 over games before now :) and would be better for it. ENG would have played more 50 over games in the lead up, if it weren't for the Hundred - yes, I know; you still don't get it. At all!

If only the BBC showed T20 matches but apparently don't/wont/can't, hence the Hundred. We've watched the T20s on Sky but miraculously, according to my FiL, the T20s have been on the BBC
    So, nothing whatsoever to do with the Asia Cup. I'm glad we're agreed. 

Let me ask you a question. If it's so important for countries to play low-standard, List A cricket in August, leading up to a World Cup, why haven't any of the participants? Is The Hundred to blame for Australia, India, New Zealand, and so on, not playing List A matches? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Let me ask you a question. If it's so important for countries to play low-standard, List A cricket in August, leading up to a World Cup, why haven't any of the participants? Is The Hundred to blame for Australia, India, New Zealand, and so on, not playing List A matches? 
    We definitely don't agree because you don't get the point! From what I've seen on here, you rarely do!

I thought T20 games weren't shown on terrestrial tv btw
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    The thing is, and Mills touched on it in commentary, England and indeed New Zealand are using these T20 games as part of their prep for he World Cup. It is the reason Mills was given for not being part of the T20 squad. The pitches also seem to be set up to be closer to Indian conditions. I wouldn't have any complaints about those running cricket in this country, especially the white ball game. 
    So where do youngsters that live miles away from a franchise get to watch top cricket and what will the pathway for young cricketers be if and when more than half the counties disappear due to the concentration of cricket and revenue on the international cricket hosting grounds? Currently, there are 18 centres of excellence in the England and Wales (the 18 counties) so where do all the age group cricketers for the half a dozen franchises meet, for example, for winter training on a Tuesday at 6.00pm - which is very much the norm? For a young age group cricketer from say Plymouth their nearest First Class County is currently Somerset - a journey of an hour and a half. A pain in the backside of a trip but doable nonetheless. It used to take us over an hour each way to take my son to training and we live in Kent but the nearest franchise home for someone from Plymouth would be that of the Welsh Fire or that of the Southern Braves. We are talking about a trip in excess of 150 miles in rush hour and a journey of three hours - each way.

Now I thought that the recent report that came out majoured on the need for cricket and specifically the pathway to move up in the game needed to be widened.  In reducing the number of First Class counties and creating six hour journeys in total to and from training the ECB would be doing the complete opposite. Any talented your sports person (or through the logical influence of their parents) from areas that are distances away would simply turn to one of the other sports they play. But the ECB will still pretend that cricket is "for all". 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

We definitely don't agree because you don't get the point! From what I've seen on here, you rarely do!

Ok, I'll help you get the point about the Asia Cup. It's an international tournament played after The Hundred finished. Therefore, by definition, The Hundred did not affect whether or how it was played. England, meanwhile, could have played more fifty over ODIs at the same time as the Asia Cup, also without being affected by The Hundred. 

I don't know why you've brought up T20 games. 

Do you have an answer to my question? 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Ok, I'll help you get the point about the Asia Cup. It's an international tournament played after The Hundred finished. Therefore, by definition, The Hundred did not affect whether or how it was played. England, meanwhile, could have played more fifty over ODIs at the same time as the Asia Cup, also without being affected by The Hundred. 

Nope, you still don't get it - shame!
  • Options
    Are South Africa and Australia not playing a T20 series? They must see it as good prep too!
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Let me know if you have an answer
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Let me know if you have an answer
    I'm still waiting for your's and for you to get it