Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ECB’s “The Hundred”

Comments

• The England and Wales Cricket board will sell stakes in the eight Hundred teams later this year and says the competition “will play a vital role in the future of our sport”.

An agreement between the ECB and the 18 first-class counties has been reached over the distribution of funds from the sales, set to be worth hundreds of millions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/c511k00x3mlo

• Remember The Strauss Review? The one rejected by the Counties. Well look at who is heavily involved in buying into The Hundred!

The former England captain Andrew Strauss is in talks about buying into a Hundred franchise. Strauss’s ­investment company, TTB Sport ­Capital, is acting as a consultant on behalf of potential bidders from India, the US and the UK and could even make its own bid.

Strauss joined TTB Sport Capital last year with a brief to lead its cricket investment after two spells at the England and Wales Cricket Board, one as a director and the other in an advisory role, following his illustrious playing career. The 47-year-old is executive chairman and a shareholder in the company so would have a personal stake should it invest in one of the eight Hundred franchises.

• Every mens game has been utter shit and one sided so far 
    Sold out at the Oval looked empty at Old Trafford , quite busy as The Bowl 
  • Just checked the scores so far in the Hundred. The three opening games have seen teams batting first scoring 86, 138 and 89. Needless to say, the teams chasing won all three matches. The three games have lasted 157 balls (26.1 overs in old money), 189 balls (31.3 overs) and 150 balls (30 overs). Where are all the world class players that were promised for each and every game that would elevate it above the Blast? 

• edited July 26
    Every mens game has been utter shit and one sided so far 
    And a distinct lack of big overseas names as well, the ones who were meant to be attracted to the UK for the Hundred but not the Blast...
  • I deliberately hadn’t revived this thread because, well, I know I’m in the minority.

I've watched every game so far and have loved it.

I really, really love Tammy Beaumont I do.

Anyway, carry on.
  • Every mens game has been utter shit and one sided so far 
    And a distinct lack of big overseas names as well, the ones who were meant to be attracted to the UK for the Hundred but not the Blast...

There's no one really in terms of Overseas that you wouldn't get in a standard year in the Blast. Clashing and not being able to financially compete with Major League Cricket has meant the big names have all gone there. 
  • Just checked the scores so far in the Hundred. The three opening games have seen teams batting first scoring 86, 138 and 89. Needless to say, the teams chasing won all three matches. The three games have lasted 157 balls (26.1 overs in old money), 189 balls (31.3 overs) and 150 balls (30 overs). Where are all the world class players that were promised for each and every game that would elevate it above the Blast? 

The Oval wicket was very lively with some excellent fast bowling from both teams. It wasn't looking good for the Invincibles until Sam Billings hit two 4s and one six in 5 balls. Mohammad Amir is a World class player making a one off appearance for the Invincibles and had figures of 2-7.
  • We're travelling down to Cardiff for the Invincibles game against Welsh Fire on Sunday. I'm looking forward to it, but my 9 year old is super excited and if it helps him get into cricket and it's something I can enjoy with him the beyond the Addicks I'm all for the Hundred.
  • Went to the game at the Oval with the kids who loved it, want to go again, and are now interested in cricket, but that's a bad thing according to some on here
  • Sponsored links:

• My youngest went with Mrs , another mum and a few of his mates (who wouldn’t have seen live pro cricket before ) they enjoyed it
    they hung around waiting for autographs after but the players were eating a meal so they only got a couple of autographs from earlier on , the prized Sam Curran one and didn’t know who the other player was !

£20 for adult and £5 for kids good value 

not for me but crack on

Don’t know why they didn’t jazz up the t20 Blast ,  although maybe cos that’s Indian owned as a concept and this Hundred is separately owned 

• I deliberately hadn’t revived this thread because, well, I know I’m in the minority.

I've watched every game so far and have loved it.

I really, really love Tammy Beaumont I do.

Anyway, carry on.
    I'm a fan also and was looking forward to some after work cricket on the box. But all the games on this week have been absolute shockers tbh and if that were your first exposure to cricket you probably wouldn't come back.

Fingers crossed the quality improves ASAP! 
  • Rothko said:
    Went to the game at the Oval with the kids who loved it, want to go again, and are now interested in cricket, but that's a bad thing according to some on here
    As someone who has volunteered, on behalf of the game for almost 50 years, be it captaining, coaching, running fund raising events, sat on committees, colts secretary, scoring, umpiring etc etc and turned down every single penny for doing those things, I can assure you that I am very much with one for kids enjoying and becoming involved in cricket. They are the future. What I object to is certain people at the ECB who have now sailed off into the sunset with their millions inventing a competition that was only ever going to alienate its hardcore of support. 

They could have re-vamped the Blast, negotiated for it to be shown on terrestrial TV and spent all the money that they did on The Hundred in doing that. Those same kids would still have become interested in the game without county championship matches being consigned to the whole of April, May and September and the 50 over competition becoming no more than a 2nd XI comp. These people are driven by money but without the volunteers the game is dead. 
    The most Yes, but, answer you could ever write, and what I fully expected for someone who just has a bee in their bonnet over the concept 
  • edited July 26
    I'm interested enough to know what's happening and watched some of it on BBC, but the games they've shown so far have turned into, what I'd consider, no contests. I'd be disappointed if I'd attended one of those as I'd have expected better (more competitive) Incredibly naive batting from the teams batting first throwing wickets away. 
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Went to the game at the Oval with the kids who loved it, want to go again, and are now interested in cricket, but that's a bad thing according to some on here
    As someone who has volunteered, on behalf of the game for almost 50 years, be it captaining, coaching, running fund raising events, sat on committees, colts secretary, scoring, umpiring etc etc and turned down every single penny for doing those things, I can assure you that I am very much with one for kids enjoying and becoming involved in cricket. They are the future. What I object to is certain people at the ECB who have now sailed off into the sunset with their millions inventing a competition that was only ever going to alienate its hardcore of support. 

They could have re-vamped the Blast, negotiated for it to be shown on terrestrial TV and spent all the money that they did on The Hundred in doing that. Those same kids would still have become interested in the game without county championship matches being consigned to the whole of April, May and September and the 50 over competition becoming no more than a 2nd XI comp. These people are driven by money but without the volunteers the game is dead. 
    The most Yes, but, answer you could ever write, and what I fully expected for someone who just has a bee in their bonnet over the concept 
    What does this mean? It makes no sense.
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Perfect sense, it's a proper, yes great you enjoy it, BUT PLEASE THINK OF PEOPLE LIKE ME, type post. Sod the kids, worry about the members of effectively insolvent businesses instead
  • "The most Yes, but, answer you could ever write" - this may make perfect sense to you.
  • "The most Yes, but, answer you could ever write" - this may make perfect sense to you.
    Does to me, good to see you've moved into teaching written English
  • Sponsored links:

• There's a Test match on, by the way  ;)
  • Chizz said:
    There's a Test match on, by the way  ;)
    And a very important 50 over game for Kent too with a potential future England player currently batting for Kent
  • I'm watching the test and the hundred and loving both.
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:

Just like the competition .... :)

And I'm watching the Test and the 50 over comp and loving them both

And writing on The Hundred thread... 😉
  • Chizz said:
    I'm watching the test and the hundred and loving both.

And the Kent thread. And the England thread. And any number of other threads. It's the gift of multi-tasking afforded to only some people so I'm told. And I don't have to watch the Hundred to comment on the damage it has done to the game as a whole. 
  • Chizz said:
    I'm watching the test and the hundred and loving both.

And the Kent thread. And the England thread. And any number of other threads. It's the gift of multi-tasking afforded to only some people so I'm told. And I don't have to watch the Hundred to comment on the damage it has done to the game as a whole. 
    So you've never actually watched a game?