Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Seriously this is what is wrong with VAR!!

Why had the referee just stood there for a good few minutes listening in her ear before looking at the screen!!
  • That’s a deliberate leg breaker. How is that not a red.

You have to do the female game justice by giving them the best refs possible, even if that involves having some men.
  • This referee is one of the most spineless I've ever witnessed!!

If I moan about any Referees in the Championship next season people can remind me of this one and I'll instantly shut up!!
  • All dissent was ignored - utter joke.
  • Shrew said:
    I've found the commentary incredibly condescending towards the Cameroon players.
    They should have been called much worse. 
    Totally undisciplined performance 
  • very generous yellow

Not a good advert for the women's game
  • By far the worst refereeing display of the competition - absolutely no authority. Utter joke.
  • What a dreadful advert for the game I love!

Everyone involved with the shambles should be ashamed of themselves. 

• Shrew said:
    I've found the commentary incredibly condescending towards the Cameroon players.
    Their coach didn't help.
  • Sponsored links:

• Lucky if Haughton can carry on.
    Got to be honest, I was surprised that Steph Houghton got up from that. Glad she did though; essential at the back for England. 
  • edited June 2019
    Is it Jonathan Pearce as comentator if so he is a knob.

He said at this late stage a yellow is fine.

No, it doesnt matter how late in the game it is thats a straight red

Guess he feels it should be a yellow for how Cameroon have been "treated" this game

Am sorry but the laws were mostly followed, they were bloody lucky not to have more decisions go against them

- Elbow
     - Spitting
     - Dissent after the first VAR decision
    -  Dissent after the second VAR decision
     - Penalty to England
     - Failure to give a red card for the late challenge
     - Dissent from the Captain the way she went screaming her head off prior to a decision being made

Dion Dublin and Alex Scott have it spot on in the studio; as Scott says, they should almost be embarrassed after this game... the refereeing in the game today has let down the Women's game completely, all the good work that the players have been doing during this tournament have been let down slightly by the referee today - As for Dublin he's spot on by saying Cameroon should be embarrassed

As Neville says too... that wasn't a game of Football today

Edit: Love him for that comment as well when asked about Cameroon's behaviour: "Deal with it, the rules are the rules"
  • Referee ruined the game.
  • Well said Phil Neville spot on.
    If Cameroon's don't get banned then football is a joke.
  • Fantastic interview by Phil Neville there
  • Shrew said:
    Their coach didn't help.
    Disgusted that he couldnt step back when he saw Houghton coming towards him

Bloke would have known that there would have been contact yet stayed put, easily could have jumped out the way to cause less potential harm
  • I would give the ref a break here. There was a mass breakdown of discipline by the Cameroon team. Don’t see what the ref could do other than issue 4 or 5 red cards. The Cameroon team should be heavily sanctioned here. I hope the complaints about the ref don’t shift blame away from the mass childish and unprofessional behaviour of the Cameroon team.
  • edited June 2019
    Is it Jonathan Pearce as commentator if so he is a knob.

He said at this late stage a yellow is fine.

No, it doesnt matter how late in the game it is thats a straight red

He is a Palace twat what does he know about football.

referee so weak should have been a penalty and then later a sending off.

Cameroon complete disgrace.

var ruining football?  No not for me it's the administration of it that's so wrong.
  • I would give the ref a break here. There was a mass breakdown of discipline by the Cameroon team. Don’t see what the ref could do other than issue 4 or 5 red cards. The Cameroon team should be heavily sanctioned here. I hope the complaints about the ref don’t shift blame away from the mass childish and unprofessional behaviour of the Cameroon team.
    Any ref worth their money would just start carding the Cameroon players.

That’s as much on the ref as it is anyone. She allowed that game to become what it was
  • Sponsored links:

She could have taken the Captain aside and given a warning, if the players hadn't continued then she could have booked them for not getting their players under control

Instead she stood back and did nothing, red cards werent needed but at least a few yellows to the ring leaders would have handled the situation

You are right though that the Cameroon behaviour shouldnt be ignored based on the referees performance, nor should we ignore the absolute professionalism from the England team
  • rina said:
    LenGlover said:
    Even though it has largely favoured England VAR has ruined this match.
    Favoured England? Correct decisions favour no one. There have however been, imo, 3 incorrect decisions- for the elbow, the spitting and the non penalty just now which looked pretty clear cut, all of which favoured Cameroon
    It's the time taken to make the decisions by VAR. Players and fans are frustrated before the decision is made.

Two of those decisions were technically correct, yes, but so close that there should be the footballing equivalent of umpires call. The Cameroon offside was marginal and the penalty was one of those where sometimes they're given sometimes they're not. The authorities need to refine exactly how they want to use the technology in my opinion. The referee wasn't great but VAR did nothing to assist her in exerting authority.

Yes, Cameroon reacted badly but the whole thing is incredibly frustrating. 

The shame is that the showpiece of the Women's game is being used as an experiment and to develop a new technology.
  • Off_it said:
    Off_it said:
    Wow, this is so shockingly bad its actually hilarious.

I honestly thought women's football had progressed beyond this sort of thing, but clearly I was wrong.
    I was waiting for you to turn up.

This has been a shite game. 
    The standard overall has improved in the WC,  But not today. 
    Why were you waiting for me to turn up?

For your insight.
    Totally understandable. I am one of the more insightful posters on here.
  • edited June 2019

rina said:
    LenGlover said:
    Favoured England? Correct decisions favour no one. There have however been, imo, 3 incorrect decisions- for the elbow, the spitting and the non penalty just now which looked pretty clear cut, all of which favoured Cameroon
    It's the time taken to make the decisions by VAR. Players and fans are frustrated before the decision is made.

Two of those decisions were technically correct, yes, but so close that there should be the footballing equivalent of umpires call. The Cameroon offside was marginal and the penalty was one of those where sometimes they're given sometimes they're not. The authorities need to refine exactly how they want to use the technology in my opinion. The referee wasn't great but VAR did nothing to assist her in exerting authority.

The shame is that the showpiece of the Women's game is being used as an experiment and to develop a new technology.
    Don't see how an offside can be "marginal", they're offside or they're not.
  • No idea why it took several minutes and VAR for that foul to be punished. Surely the 4th official would have had a perfect view, and possibly the assistant on that side as well

Part of the problem with VAR is that it encourages officials to not make decisions themselves based on what they see
  • LenGlover said: Don't see how an offside can be "marginal", they're offside or they're not.
    rina said:
    LenGlover said:

Where did this post appear from, sorry chaps. Technology!
  • limeygent said:

rina said:
    LenGlover said:

Exactly this.

I said it the other day for a game, its either offside or its not, if a player shots and the whole ball doesnt cross the line you dont then say oh lets give the goal it was very marginal, its the  same with offside a player is either offside or onside
  • I really believe if she had started issuing yellow and red cards after the Cameroon players had a mass breakdown of discipline she would have had to abandon the game. That is a rediculous scenario in a World Cup finals. I think Cameroon should be banned for 10 years from any FIFA tournament. A really strong message needs to be sent here and it should not be diluted by deflecting any blame whatsoever to the referee.
  • limeygent said:

rina said:
    LenGlover said:

The linesman didn't give it before it went to VAR because it was incredibly close, another word being marginal.