Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Didn't it even get scrapped in the NFL after they first brought it in due to excessively delaying the gameplay (which is already fractured due to the nature of the game)?!?

Think they get a set amount of challenges, which I’ve always thought would be a better option, say 3 per half, if your challenge is upheld you don’t lose it, tennis works well. Only head coach or captain can instigate the challenge.
  • Nug said:
    Didn't it even get scrapped in the NFL after they first brought it in due to excessively delaying the gameplay (which is already fractured due to the nature of the game)?!?

Think they get a set amount of challenges, which I’ve always thought would be a better option, say 3 per half, if your challenge is upheld you don’t lose it, tennis works well. Only head coach or captain can instigate the challenge.
    Agree - but i'd limit it to one per game.
  • Do away with linespeople, fully automate offsides, only employ VAR for obvious and glaring errors like mistaken identity, job done
  • Is it not possible in the premier League next season for Referee instead of stopping to hear what the VAR person is saying to react just to electric shocks which are positioned around their bodies ?
    For example if a male ref misses a clear penalty then the ref will get an electric shock to the testicles and will then give a penalty. Thus no time delays and the correct decision will be given. Why can't they think inside the box ?
    Only flaw to your plan is the fact that the referee may be too busy twitching on the floor to be able to give a penalty
  • Is it not possible in the premier League next season for Referee instead of stopping to hear what the VAR person is saying to react just to electric shocks which are positioned around their bodies ?
    For example if a male ref misses a clear penalty then the ref will get an electric shock to the testicles and will then give a penalty. Thus no time delays and the correct decision will be given. Why can't they think inside the box ?
    So a Male ref gets his penis shocked and a female ref has the same treatment but in her box ? 
    Only flaw to your plan is the fact that the referee may be too busy twitching on the floor to be able to give a penalty
    Good question FA,
    If the shock is so great that the ref may need some ice on his 3 piece then he becomes the fourth official, the Fourth official becomes an assistant, and the assistant get promoted to ref, the magic thing about this system is there should be a great incentive for the ref not too make a mistake.
    The vetting process must be stepped up because otherwise we will have too many refs running around with smiles on their faces because their into self flagellation and masochism.

Cause if they think outside the box it will only be a free kick....
  • shine166 said:
    Is it not possible in the premier League next season for Referee instead of stopping to hear what the VAR person is saying to react just to electric shocks which are positioned around their bodies ?
    So a Male ref gets his penis shocked and a female ref has the same treatment but in her box ? 
    This isn't a carry on film shine !
    My original draft to the Premier League was for the trial to start on Stroud, Lingington and Kettle those well known EFL refs. 

As a lot of my friends are female I will only check out Ann Summers if we get the green light for the men. 

As in all of life good thing happen when we get a spark of inspiration. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I watched this game whilst cooking the Sunday lunch and was almost laughing what was going on.
    England did well not too lose their cool with the antics that were going on.

the world : thank God we have got away from the stereotype of African football teams being emotional, ill disciplined, thuggish and having a disregard for the rules.

the Cameroon women's team : Hold my Cosmo....
  • edited June 2019
    Was it the 1982 world Cup when an African defenders broke from the wall and kicked the ball away before the free kick was taken. Still makes me Laugh now just thinking about it. 
  • I was very frustrated watching the England game. What annoys me is that refs can be inept and they get away with it. I think there was a penalty and a sending off that were not debatable and they were not given because they would not have affected the outcome of the game and the ref was scared the Cameroon team would react negatively. Effectively rewarding their behaviour.

I am looking at VAR and it is missing a blatant elbow, a blatant spit and it has proven to be a shambles. I am seeing a shot that looked to be going in hit a Norwegian arm and no penalty given, then watch less clear handballs resulting in pens. I am seeing a player stand in front of a keeper and be deemed not interfering. I have seen the Japan handball against Scotland not even be reviewed. It is chaos and FIFA and the refs have to take responsibility.

Back to the England game, the ref just let the Cameroon team get on with in. No threats of a card, no attempts to get them under control. Why are we not hearing of her sacking? You could argue that the potential leg-breaker happened because the ref allowed it to. Refs have a responsibility for the safety of the players. I'd like to see a ref defender come on here and defend that ref. The fact they just shut up says it all. Something has to be done about the standards of refs and you have to accept that whilst there are good ones, there are too many crap ones - of both sexes - and work out why that is. 
    The referee’s authority not only depends on th professionalism of how they apply the current rules of the game during a match but the professionalism of the teams taking part and their knowledge and understanding of the current rules and acceptance of the authority of the ref. When a team reacts en masse the way the Cameroon team did I don’t see what the ref could do other than issue a series of red cards and thus causing the game to be abandoned. This is a World Cup an it should not be up to a referee to abandon a match. The rules state that when a match deteriates to this extent because of the behaviour of one team it is up to the FIFA officials to get involved. I believe this is what happened yesterday. The primary concern of those officials would have been to complete the match which they managed and no one can argue the right team won the match. They must now act decisively and punish the Cameroon severely and make it clear that behaviour will not be tolerated  in future competitions.

On VAR, I disagree with you entirely. It has again contributed greatly to getting the right decisions. There are still some teething problems in its implementation but overall it has been very effective in removing incorrect decisions at crucial times in big matches.
    I think you need to address why Muttley is wrong in the examples he gives in his second paragraph if you are going to say that, Red? I have seen most of the incidents he refers to, and I agree with him. If it is not 100% right, what is the point in having it at all?  
  • I was very frustrated watching the England game. What annoys me is that refs can be inept and they get away with it. I think there was a penalty and a sending off that were not debatable and they were not given because they would not have affected the outcome of the game and the ref was scared the Cameroon team would react negatively. Effectively rewarding their behaviour.

I am looking at VAR and it is missing a blatant elbow, a blatant spit and it has proven to be a shambles. I am seeing a shot that looked to be going in hit a Norwegian arm and no penalty given, then watch less clear handballs resulting in pens. I am seeing a player stand in front of a keeper and be deemed not interfering. I have seen the Japan handball against Scotland not even be reviewed. It is chaos and FIFA and the refs have to take responsibility.

Back to the England game, the ref just let the Cameroon team get on with in. No threats of a card, no attempts to get them under control. Why are we not hearing of her sacking? You could argue that the potential leg-breaker happened because the ref allowed it to. Refs have a responsibility for the safety of the players. I'd like to see a ref defender come on here and defend that ref. The fact they just shut up says it all. Something has to be done about the standards of refs and you have to accept that whilst there are good ones, there are too many crap ones - of both sexes - and work out why that is. 
    The referee’s authority not only depends on th professionalism of how they apply the current rules of the game during a match but the professionalism of the teams taking part and their knowledge and understanding of the current rules and acceptance of the authority of the ref. When a team reacts en masse the way the Cameroon team did I don’t see what the ref could do other than issue a series of red cards and thus causing the game to be abandoned. This is a World Cup an it should not be up to a referee to abandon a match. The rules state that when a match deteriates to this extent because of the behaviour of one team it is up to the FIFA officials to get involved. I believe this is what happened yesterday. The primary concern of those officials would have been to complete the match which they managed and no one can argue the right team won the match. They must now act decisively and punish the Cameroon severely and make it clear that behaviour will not be tolerated  in future competitions.

On VAR, I disagree with you entirely. It has again contributed greatly to getting the right decisions. There are still some teething problems in its implementation but overall it has been very effective in removing incorrect decisions at crucial times in big matches.
     That it may have done, but it’s ruined several games as a spectacle.  It’s also got several decisions appallingly wrong, and also ruined those games as a spectacle. 
  • edited June 2019
    VAR works best on matter of fact decisions like offside. These should be automatically considered like goal line technology, but no reason for it to take as long as it has in this competition. Things like handball are subjective. The ref makes a decision and then they get a ringing in the ear, you might want to look at that again, inferring that they made an error. What is better is if a team had one appeal each, they can decide if they are confident enough the ref got it wrong appealing it to VAR.

Outside of that, I really think the handball law needs sorting out. It feels like nobody knows what handball is anymore, especially the refs! Whatever it is, it has to be consistently applied.
  • edited June 2019
    I was very frustrated watching the England game. What annoys me is that refs can be inept and they get away with it. I think there was a penalty and a sending off that were not debatable and they were not given because they would not have affected the outcome of the game and the ref was scared the Cameroon team would react negatively. Effectively rewarding their behaviour.

I think you need to address why Muttley is wrong in the examples he gives in his second paragraph if you are going to say that, Red? I have seen most of the incidents he refers to, and I agree with him. If it is not 100% right, what is the point in having it at all?  
    The so called blatant elbow was completely missed by the officials. VAR was correctly used to bring it to the refs attention. The ref chose to give a yellow card. A lot of people thought it should have been a Red. A matter of interpretation of the rules and the actions of the player. VAR helped the ref arrive at a decision on an incident that she had missed. It is not for VAR to decide if it was a red card.

The spitting incident was missed by the ref as well. Presumably the VAR refs, after looking at the incident, as I did, decided there was just enough doubt as to whether the player deliberately spat at the England player so decided not to bring it to the refs attention.

The handball incident was missed by the ref. As many handball incidents were missed before VAR at these major competitions. VAR afforded the ref the opportunity to review the incident. That the ref still came to a decision that many people disagree with is not the fault of VAR. 

The off side decisions and interpretation of when a player is interfering with play or not were also matters of referees interpreting the rules. VAR again afforded the refs the opportunity to properly review their decisions. I disagreed with several of these decisions and now feel I do not fully understand the current offside rule vis a vis when a player is interfering with play or not. I am assuming these refs know more about the current rule than I do so I feel it is up to me to look up the exact definition before I am too critical of the refs in these situations. In all cases VAR helped the refs make their decisions. 

• It was inevitable that at some stage the standard of players' behaviour would fall to the level of the standard of the officiating and the imposition of VAR.  We have little real idea what the Cameroon players thought they were shown on the stadium screens.  Nevertheless their conduct was reprehensible.  Having lost any semblance of control or credibility by half time the hopelessly inadequate referee declined to punish the persistent and degenerating foul play meted out by Cameroon.  The cynical assault perpetrated on Steph Houghton late on has to be precisely the kind of transgression that the video cameras are there for?  The sneeringly self-congratulatory trough feeders at FIFA will of course take no action; against inadequate officials, violent players or blatantly disrespectful managers.  Phil Neville on the other hand can probably expect sanction for putting into words only what we all saw.
    When some football is allowed to take place again, England will need to tighten up drastically at the back to get past a very able and cohesive Norway.
  • edited June 2019
    Well made defence Red. VAR clearly does not compensate for a poor referee, then? So why bother? in the heat of the moment I find it easier to give the ref some slack, than when they are seeing it five times and getting it wrong... Particularly added to the reasons I gave on the VAR thread for doing away with it, but I appreciate your position. 

• Look it up then and explain it to the rest of us!
  • Sponsored links:

• I think USA v Spain is going to be interesting today. USA will win but Spain are good enough to expose weaknesses if they have many. 
  • VAR works best on matter of fact decisions like offside. These should be automatically considered like goal line technology, but no reason for it to take as long as it has in this competition. Things like handball are subjective. The ref makes a decision and then they get a ringing in the ear, you might want to look at that again, inferring that they made an error. What is better is if a team had one appeal each, they can decide if they are confident enough the ref got it wrong appealing it to VAR.

Outside of that, I really think the handball law needs sorting out. It feels like nobody knows what handball is anymore, especially the refs! Whatever it is, it has to be consistently applied.
    Offside is subjective. At least three this tournament where the player was clearly  offside and interfering with play but VAR official gave it was not offside. 
  • Without Parking two Spanish autobús I can't see how the Spanish can hurt the USA team.
    From 13 to 3 goals in two games for Auntie Sam but their power play is hard to stop. If they could be beaten even on pens it would be an open market for the rest. Going with 2-0 but only if it's 0-0 at HT. 
    I want to see France V USA because let's see how they defend against the explosive power of Diani and the sheer class of Henry.
    Sommer was really mediocre against Brazil.
  • Spain I told you to park two buses not attack for 5 minutes and then concede a penalty because you had too many players forward !
  • Ok I quit as coach !
  • 1-1 and this is an excellent game of Football. Spain under their new coach are really being Pro active. At last USA have a contest.
  • Spain not exactly parking the bus!
  • That is the first goal the USA have conceded in this World Cup - and the first in 648 minutes of football in all competitions.

Rapione who scored the pen for US of A got a yellow card for a careless hand in the face. The yellow card made for a terrible colour clash with her Pink Barnet.

• Really exciting game. Come on Spain!
  • Leuth said:
    Spain not exactly parking the bus!
    No parking of buses, they had 9 players back to defend but they motor to the USA box and they are playing so well.
    Hope their fitness allows more of the same 2nd half.