Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Women’s World Cup

Comments

• Another penalty for USA.
  • Or...
  • Definite pen dunno why it took her so long to review it 
  • Not sure it was so definite. The defender pulled out of the tackle and barely brushed the attacker
  • Looked a soft pen to me.

Also loved the ref having to explain the rule to the keeper about staying on her line, how do they not know by now?
  • Looked a soft pen to me.

Also loved the ref having to explain the rule to the keeper about staying on her line, how do they not know by now?
    I think that was gamesmanship by the keeper to delay the kicker. 
  • Very soft. There was brush of contact but not enough to make her lose balance. Been more diving and exaggeration than usual in this match, for the women's game.
  • Shocking decision, so so soft. Getting silly how many penalties there are in general at the moment. 
  • USA are nothing special watching this 
  • 278 caps ?!?

Do they play an international each week?
  • Sponsored links:

• Spain just lack a good final ball. The bigger euro teams will be watching with interest.

13 goals to 3 goals to 2 pens for USA.
  • USA will certainly have to up their game as they've got France next.
  • how has that happened
  • Leuth said:
    how has that happened
    France were seeded as Hosts; United States were seeded as were England and four other Nations

All three have just happened to go into the Groups that'll see them facing each other before the Finals
  • edited June 2019
    I will be amazed if Germany v Netherlands isn't the other semi final. Though Japan will fancy beating the Dutch.
    But USA v France and England v Norway are close contests.

Sweden v Canada is a close one but I will go for Sweden because Canada are not great travelers as a rule.
  • Nug said:
    Didn't it even get scrapped in the NFL after they first brought it in due to excessively delaying the gameplay (which is already fractured due to the nature of the game)?!?

Think they get a set amount of challenges, which I’ve always thought would be a better option, say 3 per half, if your challenge is upheld you don’t lose it, tennis works well. Only head coach or captain can instigate the challenge.
    Agree - but i'd limit it to one per game.

yep, 3 per half is far too many for football. this system works really well in hockey with one challenge per game which is kept if the challenge is upheld, only allowed to refer incidents that affect the awarding of a goal, penalty corner or penalty stroke
  • Thought thought USA v Spain was an excellent game. Spain surprised me how technically good they were 
  • Boring 1st half, but lively 2nd half, after Sweden scored, the 22nd pen of this WC was given and a great save by the Swedish keeper. 
  • Good final 10 minutes. Too little too late from the Canadians though. No idea why Sinclair didn’t take the penalty. 
  • Sponsored links:

• This tournament really getting going now. Most games good, shame about the England game which would have had the biggest TV audience by far. Still being bit spoilt by VAR, of which I am increasingly becoming disillusioned with. 
  • ct_addick said:
    Thought thought USA v Spain was an excellent game. Spain surprised me how technically good they were 
    They made USA look human!

I still think they (USA) are the team to beat but on a good day France or England even, if they can get past Norway which will be tough, are capable of giving them a game.
  • Netherlands will win it on what ive seen football wise. 
  • And the Cameroon team should be ordered to support charlton for 30yrs at least as punishment.
  • edited June 2019
    USA are nothing special watching this 
    That's why watching one match to evaluate teams or players is meaningless as a way to gauge quality.
  • Those were some soft penalties, though. I am sure Zaha would be proud.
  • Netherlands will win it on what ive seen football wise. 
    As the winners of the Euros on home turf and having their great support behind plus having the best striker Vivienne Miedema, the Dutch look the best value with the Bookies. Longer odds than England and C+ D winners in a major Tournament.
    Agreed they weren't, but as you know every side that has ever won a major competition will have the mediocre match that they get through.
    Even the most highly rated WC winners of all time Brazil had to rely on England missing 2 good chances when winning 1-0 on their way to the 1970 world cup with their team of superstars spearheaded by Pele.
    Can't thing of any team winning a major tournament when in top gear in all 7 matches.

That's why watching one match to evaluate teams or players is meaningless as a way to gauge quality.
    Thanks for the advice mate.
  • What was promising was that USA showed they were not that good. Still the team to beat but definitely beatable.